More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

ilikehorses
Fun\Death Dealer

Re: ben stien's new movie on intelligent design

Post by ilikehorses » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:28 pm

Heshua wrote: Anonymous, you are the biggest hypocrite I've seen on this board. What proof does either side have? None. You are retarded.
where did he say that evolution is the correct theory?
Even today, I can't see a car run a red light without instantly having an image flash into my head of a man's erect penis, penetrating a watermelon.

UGH I SUCK

ilikehorses
Fun\Death Dealer

Post by ilikehorses » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:31 pm

my whole problem with this whole argument is how these different teams generally argue and declare their absolute validity in their theory, rarely allowing for misunderstanding or being completely wrong.

beyond that, if you want to believe that god created the earth, why couldn't you believe that god created the earth and planned for evolution? why can't evolutionists allow that maybe god did this and still there was evolution? or why can't everyone allow for the theory that we're all way the fuck off and we'll never really know and that arguing about it is a huge waste of time?
Even today, I can't see a car run a red light without instantly having an image flash into my head of a man's erect penis, penetrating a watermelon.

UGH I SUCK

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:31 pm

Heshua wrote:The stupidity in the previous posts is absolutely suffocating. Get a fucking dictionary or you will not be taken seriously. Do you realize that it underlines incorrectly spelled words?

Anonymous, you are the biggest hypocrite I've seen on this board. What proof does either side have? None. You are retarded.
There fixed it, happy bitch? For your information I wasd iagnosis with Dyslexia when I was 10, way back in 1980. It slides in and out and often I can look at something I write over and over and still not notice the errors.

Futher more, if you have nothing to add, fuck off.
I paid my dues but I lost my Receipt.

teedotjaydot

Post by teedotjaydot » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:03 pm

DaVo wrote:
@nonymous wrote:
wheatstache wrote:I don't think this movie is out to prove intelligent design. I think it's trying to expose the black-listing of scientists who are willing to consider and/or ascribe to intelligent design. Which by the way, I've seen impressive evidence for this theory.
they haven't been black-listed, their theory has nothing to do with science. why would the scientific community embrace it?

it's ironic to me that the same closed-minded folks who can't wrap their mind around the simplest, most basic aspects of human life on earth--people's sexuality, political beliefs, alternative lifestyles--are the ones who somehow manage to believe in the most absurd delusions, like a talking snake in a tree.
The Theory of Evolution was in fact used to justify the Holocaust. The Nazis claimed that through evolution they had evolved into a specie of animal also known as the "Master Race" [/quote]

Not so much the ToE as it was Nietzche's Thus Spake Zarathustra (a product of evolutionary belief) wherein he talks of the Ubermensch.

Hitler thought that the "master race" were veritable super-men who would rule the planet. Because of their higher status they were, in his mind, destined to rule.
i need a shower, a shave and maybe a song with a melody

ilikehorses
Fun\Death Dealer

Post by ilikehorses » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:28 pm

even if the theory of evolution was used to justify the holocaust, it's not the theory's fault. it's the nazis. don't fucking blame this theory for the death of millions of people.

UGH I SUCK

Heshua

Post by Heshua » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:58 pm

DaVo wrote:
There fixed it, happy bitch? For your information I wasd iagnosis with Dyslexia when I was 10, way back in 1980. It slides in and out and often I can look at something I write over and over and still not notice the errors.

I hope you are joking. Surely you see the red dots underlining misspelled words, don't you?

Do you have restless leg syndrome? Or seasonal affective disorder? How about ADD/ADHD? Better stock up on prescriptions and start practicing your excuses.
El Oh El

xkristyx
I <3 Pizza

Post by xkristyx » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:17 am

...the red dots don't show up on everyones browser.

just sayin.

Heshua

Post by Heshua » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:38 am

xkristyx wrote:...the red dots don't show up on everyones browser.

just sayin.

well that's a good point, thank you. I will maintain that dyslexia is an excuse to a problem that individuals refuse to address in an appropriate manner along with other so-called disorders.
El Oh El

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:27 am

Heshua wrote:Anonymous, you are the biggest hypocrite I've seen on this board. What proof does either side have? None. You are retarded.
thank you for asking such a logical question. the proof, heshua, is simple. first, everything is relative if you want it to be; there are exceptions to every rule and few things are 100% absolute certain all of the time. however, with science we can deduce that there are laws and properties that govern the world we live in. the strongest theories have something to back it up(if a chair is made of basal wood, i can believe that it won't hold me because of what i know about basal wood).

the burden of proof isn't on the ones who have faith in what they can see, hear and touch. the burden of proof, again, is on the ones that believe everything was created by a magical "designer".

i suppose it's important to make the distinction about what ID means to you. are we talking about the Bible, God, talking snakes in trees? if not, what the hell are we talking about? are you seriously just going to just chalk it up to "Intelligent Design" without any basis of what that could mean? At least the Christians got a good story out of it.

i'm going to go drive my car now. my theory is that it will run out of gas before I get to the Kum N' Go on 31st because I've been driving on E for at least 3 days. if only there was something bigger, some external force out there that could loan me some sort of mystical wonder-fuel.

maybe that's the irony. this thing creates all of life but is going to let me walk home at midnight.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats" - H. L. Mencken

tylerjames515

Post by tylerjames515 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:55 am

I want to see him prove how ’darwinism is improbable and possibly dangerous.’
Rooster wrote:cant worship the devil unless you are 21 now

Heshua

Post by Heshua » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:54 am

@nonymous wrote:
Heshua wrote:Anonymous, you are the biggest hypocrite I've seen on this board. What proof does either side have? None. You are retarded.
thank you for asking such a logical question. the proof, heshua, is simple. first, everything is relative if you want it to be; there are exceptions to every rule and few things are 100% absolute certain all of the time. however, with science we can deduce that there are laws and properties that govern the world we live in. the strongest theories have something to back it up(if a chair is made of basal wood, i can believe that it won't hold me because of what i know about basal wood).

the burden of proof isn't on the ones who have faith in what they can see, hear and touch. the burden of proof, again, is on the ones that believe everything was created by a magical "designer".

i suppose it's important to make the distinction about what ID means to you. are we talking about the Bible, God, talking snakes in trees? if not, what the hell are we talking about? are you seriously just going to just chalk it up to "Intelligent Design" without any basis of what that could mean? At least the Christians got a good story out of it.

i'm going to go drive my car now. my theory is that it will run out of gas before I get to the Kum N' Go on 31st because I've been driving on E for at least 3 days. if only there was something bigger, some external force out there that could loan me some sort of mystical wonder-fuel.

maybe that's the irony. this thing creates all of life but is going to let me walk home at midnight.

THERE'S MORE THAN ONE POSSIBILITY, FUCKTARD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandeism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Science_of_God
El Oh El

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:08 am

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats" - H. L. Mencken

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:46 am

ilikehorses wrote:even if the theory of evolution was used to justify the holocaust, it's not the theory's fault. it's the nazis. don't fucking blame this theory for the death of millions of people.
Agreed, I was just pointing out the connection to the holocaust. Like a lot of ideas, people well use them to their own ends.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:02 am

Heshua wrote:
DaVo wrote:

I hope you are joking. Surely you see the red dots underlining misspelled words, don't you?

Do you have restless leg syndrome? Or seasonal affective disorder? How about ADD/ADHD? Better stock up on prescriptions and start practicing your excuses.
Red Dots? What the fuck are you talking about? So you are someone without a disorder who has to rely on spell check? What are you stupid? So let me get this right, there is nothing wrong with you, no learning disablitly, nothing and still you rely on spell check?

Yeah those are all in your head right? They do not effect people everyday, they are just a crutch. Right? Like autism is caused by bad mothers and down syndrome is caused by pregnant mothers being scared by bulls. Don't talk shit about what you don't know. You have no idea what it means to stuggle with something.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:32 am

Heshua wrote:

just sayin.

well that's a good point, thank you. I will maintain that dyslexia is an excuse to a problem that individuals refuse to address in an appropriate manner along with other so-called disorders.

Well, as someone that has been dealing with this "so called disorder" for 39 year, I address it daily, I address it when I write a check and try to remember how to spell "hundred" or when I address an letter and try to remember if it's Des Moines or Des Miones. You see everything is Memorization and having to trust or distrust that it is correct. Truth be told half of this post looks wrong to me.

There is no cure for Dyslexia or half the disorders that you mentioned. I know a number of people that stuggle with them everyday but are functioning memebers of society. Intellegent and bright people that have adapted and overcome challenges beyond your worst nightmare and not bitched at all about it. In fact most of them have excelled beyond those without so called "disorders".

It's interesting that in fact these may all be new mutations and a part of evolution. Most with these disorders have stateed that often the mind moves much faster then the ablity to express the ideas. The lack of focus on details vs focus on the idea. Who knows maybe those without disorders are the cavemen of the future.

ilikehorses
Fun\Death Dealer

Post by ilikehorses » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:50 am

Heshua wrote:

just sayin.

MISSPELLING A FEW WORDS IS SUCH A BIG DEAL.

UGH I SUCK

ilikehorses
Fun\Death Dealer

Post by ilikehorses » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:55 am

it also bothers me that these people want their faith to be accepted and considered scientific fact with no (or maybe very little) proof. and as much as i'm talking about the IDists, this goes as well for the evolutionists, though i will say there is more fact backing up the evolutionists.

i took a class years ago, Evolution and the History of Life, at UofI. it was really interesting about all the actual facts there are about evolution that most people don't really think about. mostly because it's so damn boring. the class was really boring. we talked about bugs a lot.

UGH I SUCK

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:52 am

From the theological perspective, if evolution happened it would make no sense for God to make it appear to be obvious and factual. If we had some stunning scientific evidence that made everyone say "Oh shit, the world really is 6,000 years old and we really did spring out of nowhere from two people", it kind of ruins the point of faith. It seems to me like it would make more sense from God's perspective to give his word (creation, or something close to it depending on who you ask) and have all this man-produced evidence against it as a test of faith. Who are you going to believe, God or Man? Then there's also the idea that if there's a good higher being, there must be an evil one too (Satan) and it says he will be deceitful. Providing evidence that disproves God and his existence seems to be in following with that.

Oh, I'm talking purely theologically here. If anyone responds with "That's dumb! God doesn't exist!" or some shit like that, I'm either going to ignore you or call you hurtful names.

Anyways, I've always had trouble with the "there's no evidence for creationism" thing for this reason. It sounds to me like it should be a mystery if God exists. Maybe there is no such thing as God and some yahoo out in the desert did a good job of covering the bases for the difficult questions like this, but if there is and he's as described in the Bible, I'm sure he would not want us to have solid evidence that proves it and rather have us take his word on it to test us.

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:39 am

I hate it when people use the word theory instead of hypothesis. That is just general scientific method shiite. It's hard to test Intelligent Design.

kenny rock

Post by kenny rock » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:42 am

Six Things in Expelled that Ben Stein Doesn't Want You to Know..

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=six ... =su_expel3

Beaver

Post by Beaver » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:19 pm

People lived with Dinosaurs. :mrgreen:

Varg
Failed DMACC

Post by Varg » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:34 pm

I might see it Friday. Stein said some shit recently that pissed me off though...only I can't remember what it was- only that it was around 2-3 months ago. If I don't remember by Friday, I guess I'll go.
---success in social interaction lies in making them afraid to see you disapprove

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:53 pm

Hank Fist wrote:I hate it when people use the word theory instead of hypothesis. That is just general scientific method shiite. It's hard to test Intelligent Design.
It's been a while, when does a Hypothesis become a theory and a theory become a law.

I guess I will always get a little worried when science decides when there are a number of hypothesis and theories on a subject and begins to treat one as a law and has no tolerance for different and new hypothesis. This is dangerous!! It's what lead to the dark ages. Except instead of waiting around for the return of Christ, they wanting around to evolve. Though waiting for evolution may take a lot longer.

I know a lot of Christians or those that were raised with a religious background that believe in evolution but see god as a part of it. It should be a personal choice and if you want to spend your life's work, trying to prove a hypothesis that goes against the norm, then you should be able to. Logic and faith, regardless of what that faith is, will always be at odds. Religion may have more to do with the human ego then anything and at it's heart is a code of laws to live a better life.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:22 pm

kenny rock wrote:Six Things in Expelled that Ben Stein Doesn't Want You to Know..

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=six ... =su_expel3
Link wouldn't open for me. Can you cut and paste it?

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:38 pm

davo wrote:if you want to spend your life's work, trying to prove a hypothesis that goes against the norm, then you should be able to.
here's the problem. perception affects and encourages behavior. how we perceive things ultimately has an affect on how we interact with each other and our world. our current culture already shapes our hearts and minds with advertising and other destructive marketing targeted at every age group. personally, i don't think either should be taught. people should be able to make up their own mind about our world and it's limits.

people can spend their life's work doing whatever they want, that's not the issue. but if you have a theory, or hypothesis--especially if it has to do with the creation of things--that completely ignores most of the things we, as a species have learned about our world, you better expect some scholarly and scientific scrutiny.

however, this doesn't mean that i'm behind the scientific community on this. science has done plenty of damage too. i'm more interested in folk science.

joseph

Post by joseph » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:49 pm

@nonymous wrote: here's the problem. perception affects and encourages behavior. how we perceive things ultimately has an affect on how we interact with each other and our world.

people should be able to make up their own mind about our world and it's limits.
i dont think this is a problem

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:54 pm

i before e except in jewish names.

Furious D

Post by Furious D » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:44 am

Dude was a pretty good teacher in the Wonder Years.
....just kidding.

Thom

Post by Thom » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:07 pm

ilikehorses wrote:beyond that, if you want to believe that god created the earth, why couldn't you believe that god created the earth and planned for evolution? why can't evolutionists allow that maybe god did this and still there was evolution? or why can't everyone allow for the theory that we're all way the fuck off and we'll never really know and that arguing about it is a huge waste of time?

ED

VEGAN POTLUCK.

SOMEWHERE. ON THE 26TH. its the end of spring term, lets celebrate!

ilikehorses
Fun\Death Dealer

Post by ilikehorses » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:39 pm

Thom wrote:
ilikehorses wrote:beyond that, if you want to believe that god created the earth, why couldn't you believe that god created the earth and planned for evolution? why can't evolutionists allow that maybe god did this and still there was evolution? or why can't everyone allow for the theory that we're all way the fuck off and we'll never really know and that arguing about it is a huge waste of time?

ED

VEGAN POTLUCK.

SOMEWHERE. ON THE 26TH. its the end of spring term, lets celebrate!
that is the best idea ever.

UGH I SUCK