More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Re: Who are you and what have you done?

Post by servo » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:11 pm

my name is neal.
i havent been in any bands really. i played 2 shows with colonizer. but then i was kicked out because of my bad weed breath.
i have a noise project named monotremata that will rip your dick off, but youre probably not cool enough to have one of my short run 3" cds with lathes cut into the top.
i haven't had a job in 18 months because im punk as fuck. i get money flipping records on ebay. i have a secret fear that someday the people at fat wreck chords will realize how many hundreds of dollars ive made off their limited color vinyl and stop selling to me.
my record collection is my pride and joy. i used to have the best record collection in iowa for contemporary punk/hc stuff, but now cam myers has that title. i'm not bitter. http://www.recordnerd.com/lists/servo
i used to be a teacher in japan. starting next month i'm probably going to be teaching high school outside of seoul.
i've been veg for over 11 years.
i'm almost finally done reading gravitys rainbow. the wind-up bird chronicle is next.
i identify heavily with the sxe movement even though im always high.
safety second needs to play a reunion show.
but seriously, fuck the hate and check out the new tptd
Tu vir nunc es, canis

Nickyouredead

Post by Nickyouredead » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:35 pm

My name is Nick Steinick. I am into ciriclepits, playing music, hanging out with tight people, and myself. I have 3 roommates, they are all cats. I like riding my bike more than I like driving a Volvo station wagon and hope that someday I will be able to ditch motor vehicles altogether. I stopped eating meat recently and I am also straight edge for trendy reasons.

I have had the pleasure of being in these bands:
When We Fall - Drums
Burn The Rest - Drums (Tyler Larson was also in this band.)
Die In a Fire - Drums
JUST DO IT - Drums
Hepatitis X - Drums
Have Heart (for like 20 seconds) - Vocals
Pioneer Days - Guitar/Vocals

I listen to hard shit,
http://www.last.fm/user/nicksteinick

Shane

Post by Shane » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:07 pm

I forgot to mention that I will be playing drums in Pioneer Days because I didn't know until very recently that our first practice is tomorrow night. Totally looking forward to it!

This was a really great idea, Joe.
Joey Chaos wrote:Shane's gonna find out the hard way.

Churro

Post by Churro » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:14 pm

I'm Cory. I'm 18, and I live in Altoona. I like to play bass, guitar, mandolin, and synth. I spend most of my time working and going to school. I'll be going to college for a computer science degree.

I usually listen to these bands:Death from above 1979,lightning bolt, this will destroy you, explosions in the sk, converge, bomb the music industry!, the arrogant sons of bitches, calling gina clark, dispensing of false halos, and circa survive.

I play bass in Blue and Ska Band Go! although I expect little more to happen with Ska Band Go! after Shane leaves. Also in the works is a sweet awesome party band with drummer Shane and me playing guitar. The name will most likely be Garage Door, Toy Car.

My past bands:
Poison Dart Frog:guitar
A Red Banner:bass
The ex presidents:bass
Caught Stealing:bass
Last edited by Churro on Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Josh

Post by Josh » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:43 am

Josh. 27. I like turtles.
Moved to West DM a couple years back and bought a house. Toured with some bands you've heard of. Booked shows for bands your familiar with. My job is to inventory animal species across the state. I look for snakes, turtles, salamanders, frogs, bats, small mammals, birds, butterflies, dragonflies, snails, mussels, fish, etc. etc.

Tiger Salamander getting ready to be measured and marked with a Visible Implant Elastomer.
Indiana Bat tagged and released to collect roost selection information.

I wish I had a record collection as extensive as Neal's or Cam's but I am too poor.

Bands in heavy rotation this week:
1910 Fruitgum Co.
Tear It Up
Crispus Attucks
Jay Reatard
Dillinger Four
The Ruts
Baby Shakes
Off With Their Heads

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:57 am

Josh wrote:. My job is to inventory animal species across the state.

Ever inventoried a trouser snake?

Ha ha ha.

kylervk

Post by kylervk » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:23 am

josh, that bullsnake you posted on the mediafire board was tits! howd you land a job like that? and random question, are you originally from m-town?

kylervk

Post by kylervk » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:27 am

Josh wrote:Crispus Attucks
i dont know why, but at a glance i read this as "circlepit assholes"... i miss james!

Josh

Post by Josh » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:30 am

kylervk wrote:josh, that bullsnake you posted on the mediafire board was tits! howd you land a job like that? and random question, are you originally from m-town?
Went to school and got a degree in Animal Ecology with wildlife studies.

And yes originally from Marshalltown.

kylervk

Post by kylervk » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:42 am

cool, i know who you are then. whuddup?

if central wasnt free for me id totally transfer and look into something like that.

jjjsXe

Post by jjjsXe » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:10 am

I am Jordan Josephsen. I am 25. I am currently living in Ames continuing to be at another community college working forever to transfer to UNI or ISU to become an elementary school teacher. I live with my girlfriend who will be a much better teacher than me.

I love MOST music, scooters, and other cool things. My favorite band is MInor Threat (duh). Crispus Attucks is awesome, so was Circlepit Assholes. I have claimed Straight Edge since 8th grade yadda yadda yadda... I have two cats, all my childhood dogs have died.

Bands I have been in:

Children In Heat -Bass (1998-1998)
Damaged Goods- Bass/Vocals (1998-1999)
Wasted Generation-Guitar/Vocals (1998-2000)
Elixir-Bass (1999-2001)
Suburban Scum-Drums (2001-2007)
Through Hard Times-Drums (2006-2007)
The(Die) Mutts-Bass (2008-present)
Knuckled Down-Drums (2008-present)
Circlepit Assholes-Drums (2008-2008)

Filled in on guitar or bass or drums on:
Horseshoe spatulas (at the state fair and Frank's House of Rock audition)-2000
Country Side -my dad's country band(1999-2002)
The Forte Enterprise - my dad's 60's rock and roll band (2007)
Some cover band with Andrew Pratt and the Marcovises- (2001)

...I feel like there are some bands I am forgetting...
Last edited by jjjsXe on Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abortions for some, miniature american flags for others

xholymanx

Post by xholymanx » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:13 pm

someone on here wanted to hear my shit so here it goes haha.

my name is jordan
im 17
straight edge
not vegan but respect it
im in to any kind of music, grind and old school deathmetal are my favorite
bands i dig a ton: aids wolf, daughters, arab on radar, the locust, cannibal corpse, devourment, xlooking forwardx, too pure to die, tears for fears, hatebreed, robinson, sender receiver. thats just off the top of my head

bands i've played in:
Seven Horns (grind) - guitar
Optimist (experimental) - vocals / bass

bands im in:
Stand United (hardcore) - vocals
Most Men Do (arab on radar sounding shit) - guitar

Smoking Guns

Post by Smoking Guns » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:05 pm

Scott O'Gara.

things i do right now:

record (engineer/produce) music at smoking guns studio

play drums, synths, samples, some guitar, lots of other noises for beati paoli

play everything available for MOCKINGBIRD

just started a small label called the noising machine. we've only released one beati paoli album so far, but are serious about doing more midwest artists.

write on the randomly updated noising machine blog. there's no theme. it's about whatever anyone feels like writing about, but everyone who contributes has good taste. examples: cute animals, horror films, good music, politics, video games, movies, bizarre crimes, comic books, sports, art, architecture, and... basically everything cool. if any of you wanna contribute, let me know. we'll set you up.

i'm also in two synth-based projects. one called My Birth Was A Sexcrime, the other called Sultry Hustler (with bill from dispensing). hopefully we'll actually get some songs recorded and on the dance charts next year sometime.

and i almost forgot. i play electronic drums in death and taxes with elliot and saeed.

past bands:

a royal garuda (mandolin/vocals)
eric and the floaters (drums)
road to ruin (guitar/vocals)
argos (drums)
the horrorshow hoods (drums)
the badgemen (drums)
the nuclear kicks (drums)
driving while stupid (never a member. just filled in on drums a few times)
runaway boys (guitar/vocals)
tha death dealaz (beatz/rhymes)

Crispin

Post by Crispin » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:48 pm

Shane wrote:I forgot to mention that I will be playing drums in Pioneer Days because I didn't know until very recently that our first practice is tomorrow night. Totally looking forward to it!

This was a really great idea, Joe.

I will also be in Pioneer Days providing the vocals. Stoked!!

kylervk

Post by kylervk » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:11 pm

xholymanx wrote: tears for fears

Seven Horns

Most Men Do
holy man,

1. best myspace bulletin ever was the time you posted this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj_2LxY757I

2. this came on shuffle last night as i was trying to fall asleep and woke me up. hahaha!

3. i want to hear this!

xholymanx

Post by xholymanx » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:23 pm

kylervk wrote:
xholymanx wrote: tears for fears

Seven Horns

Most Men Do
holy man,

1. best myspace bulletin ever was the time you posted this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj_2LxY757I

2. this came on shuffle last night as i was trying to fall asleep and woke me up. hahaha!

3. i want to hear this!

kyler,

i love you, new tptd is tearing good friends apart! fuck that!

haha yeah the sh recordings are way sketchy and loud

and yeah dude, its two basses two guitars a drummer and a vocalist way fun shit

Andy State

Post by Andy State » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:45 pm

My name is Chris
i love going to shows and hanging out with friends. i'm ususally either in des moines or cedar rapids with my girlfriend suzy. I've lived in des moines for my most my life except 3 years in iowa city living with jordan. i like to skateboard and drive my vepsa around (and no jordan you can't have it). i listen to a lot of 80's hardcore, punk, and hip-hop.

bands i've been in

bumdickhairy 2008 - present- vocals
circlepit asshols 2008 - one show while james was in portland
chris pistols and the sexy blunts 4/20 2008 - vocals
suburban scum 2006-2007 vocals
I've got that PMA

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:05 pm

i'm tyler. i'm 24 and i live in boulder, colorado. i used to be a sawyer for the boulder OSMP wildfire mitigation crew. basically exactly what they do on axmen with less equipment, pay, insurance, and drama queen diva bullshit. now my season is over and i collect unemployment. i plan on trying for boulder's wildfire crew next season, or a random forest service hotshot crew.

lived in the dsm area for most of my life. moved away a few years ago. still miss dsm, but glad i no longer live there.

i'm vegan, smoke weed, and drink....a lot. i collect records (probably have the best devoid of faith collection you will ever see). i love getting tattooed, music, camping, reading, and my friends. i listen to doom, stoner, thrash, death, grind, and awesome early to mid 90's sxe vgn hardcore bands. also pretty into "classic" rock. lately a lot of Pentagram, Church of Misery, Scissorfight, Kyuss, Inepsy, Tank, Melvins, Black Sabbath, Iron Monkey, Judas Priest, Hawkwind, Mountain, Earthride, and Neurosis have been jamming on the stereo.

played drums in tod (crust) and still play them in shril (powerviolence). currently playing drums in a stoner/doom band out here called widowmaker.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:20 pm

I'm DaVo. Born in 69 and have been active in the Des Moines punk scene since the mid 80s. Though I'm not really that active anymore in the past, I had a short lived fanzine in the 80s called Lessons for Youth, was a founding member of a joke that went out of control called Flith Edge. Was heavily active in the Antii-racist Skinhead scene of the late 80s and early 90s. Promoted shows off and on since the early 90s though mostly 96-2001 and then shortly from 2005 to 2007 mostly at Safari and Hairy Mary's. I was also in a band called the Have Nots and countless other bands that never made it out of the basement.

My true love is early LA bands like X, Germs, Dickies, Weirdos, Fear, Black Flag, etc... Punk and Roll like the Humpers, The early NYC scene especially the Dolls and Ramones, Two-tone Ska, Oi!, roots/traditional country and rockabillie, jazz, swing, and Bebop. However I dig a lot of the newer stuff like Flogging Molly, Tossers, At the Drive-In, the Briefs, and countless others.

I've been piercing professionally since 1994, own and operate the Axiom at the Skin Kitchen http://iowaunder.com and run the Iowa Underground Archives http://iowaunder.com.

The biggest thing I've ever done in my life is to father my 10 year old son Quinn. First and foremost the most important thing in the world to me.

Love Guinness, wine, cocktails and good Scotch. Love fine dining and cooking, movies and reading and writing. My 20 year plan is to retire from piercing and becoming a cast member at Disney World or hit the lotto and build the world's largest indoor theme park somewhere in Polk county. Live in the Drake area and still kind of miss the past and do come off as a know it all and I hate anything that smells of metal.
I paid my dues but I lost my Receipt.

Furious D

Post by Furious D » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:42 pm

My name is Derek. I'm 22 years old, live in Altoona, and am currently attending the prestigious DMACC and studying to be an elementary school teacher. I have a girlfriend named Kristy who has recently replaced me with weed and booze. Storkus is my older brother. I work at the Vaudeville Mews as a sound man/door dude, which is pretty fun. I'm into a lot of music. I've recently been playing a lot of Snood and Scrabble. And, since everyone has been posting about their eating habits, I am vegetarian... or should I say vaginatarian? HAHAHA.
Bands I've played in:
Slaughterhouse 6: guitar (2004-current)
American Ghost Band: keyboard (2006-2007)
Derek Lambert: vocals, guitar, foot stomping (2008-current)
We Get Wet: guitar (Halloween 2008)

....just kidding.

jonnyROCKET

Post by jonnyROCKET » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:12 am

My name is Jon. I'm 20. I was born and raised in Ames and still live here attending ISU. I'm a graphic design major, I play in a band, and I hang with my girlfriend. Those things keep me busy and I don't have a job or car so that keeps me from making it to Des Moines for shows.
I know a few people here.
I came to 515crew to get acquainted with the DSM scene and that's why I keep coming back, because I can't get involved very well any other way. I don't post.

I enjoy lots of music. Anything from folk to hardcore to ska to classic punk to trendy modern pop punk. I'm in Atombender. We're recording an EP this week. I'm laying down vocal tracks tomorrow, but my voice is shot due to a cold, so I don't know how that's gonna work.

Bands:
Atombender: 2005-present
45 Caliber: 2006
Herald: 2006
last two bands never did anything outside of practice

I'm afraid of heights and birds. I love soup.

kristy

Post by kristy » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:17 am

Kristy, 23, I'm from Urbandale but I live in Ames and I guess Altoona. I'm a girl, despite the fact that Elliot doesn't seem to think so. I go to Iowa State and will graduate this spring with a major in Art & Design but by trade I'll call myself a graphic designer. When I live in Ames, I live with Brian & Audrey Dingeman and this really awesome cat named Pumpkin who rules at spooning. Oh and another Bryon and some dogs that smell. I've been dating Derek a year and I like him most when he isn't beating me at scrabble.
I like food a lot but I don't eat meat but I love to bake, mostly vegan. So if you're nice to me I will make you some awesome treats because I'm awesome at baking and I'm not afraid to admit that.
I don't play music, because I can't. If I could play one instrument, I would play the drums. Lately I've been listening to Fucked Up, Zozobra, Trash Talk, Clouds, Coliseum aaand some other stuff.
Here's me with a cat. I really like cats.

siouxsie

Post by siouxsie » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:52 pm

my name is suzy, I live in Cedar Rapids (and hate it!)
I'm in Des moines w/ boyfriend chris almost every weekend and I plan to move there (or ames) soon. I plan to attend ISU for early education, whenever I decide to stop wasting my time taking classes at Kirkwood Community College. I'm a vegetarian. I love scooters-more than jordan (and I will most definetly get chris' scooter before jordan does.) work too much to be as broke as I am (work at Jimmy johns)
I have absolutely no musical talent.
but I listen to hardcore,punk(especially 77's),thrash,and some hiphop.

elliot
Represent!

Post by elliot » Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:26 pm

xholymanx wrote:Most Men Do (arab on radar sounding shit) - guitar
Good call on Arab On Radar! But it seems like it would be hard to have a band that sounded anything like them. Do you have any recordings yet?

mattpulpfree

Post by mattpulpfree » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:04 pm

The name is matt.
live in waterloo.
I suck at life, work at hy-vee and still live with the parents because I'm lazy as fuck and poor too.
Went to college for a month, accumulated $2,800 wroth of debt, finical fucked for awhile.
I play bass and guitar, I'm addicted to pablo's.
I book shows here and there.
I've been Straight Edge for almost 2 years.
Edge Break 200hate...maybe.

Bands I'm In
Outlive,Outlast (vocals)
Eternal Peace (guitar)

Bands I wish I wasn't in
Press on!(guitar)

Bands I wish I was in
Slipknot(DJ)
Just Do It(Sex Slave/Roadie)

noel_nothing

Post by noel_nothing » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:44 pm

kristy, that cat doesnt look too happy.

xholymanx

Post by xholymanx » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:46 pm

elliot wrote:
xholymanx wrote:Most Men Do (arab on radar sounding shit) - guitar
Good call on Arab On Radar! But it seems like it would be hard to have a band that sounded anything like them. Do you have any recordings yet?

yeah dude hahaha, it is music that goes in that direction obviously it would be pretty hard to sound like that

but yeah were hoping to record soon, none yet

pfknick

Post by pfknick » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:45 pm

The name I have is Nick. I are from Transylvania. I ::heart:: the Alphabet and flying things. I am magic and you might know that. I am most likely the best at naps. Other things I am good at are baking things, watching cartoons, and I like to read the Encyclopedia. I am not a good speller, and I sometimes wish I lived in a Green bean. That is All.

But seriously, I'm Nick. I was born in New Orleans. I moved here like 10 days ago because my house was condemned.. I live by spell check, and I grew up listening to punk-rock. I listen to everything from Miles Davis to The Black Dahlia Murder. Lately its been a lot of ambient and indie/folk rock stuff. I play drums, they're pretty flamboyant. I'm eccentric as fuck, and I'm a meat-avoider, but no longer vegetarian. I smoke pot, but not cigarettes and I don't drink. I work for granite City waiting tables. Come hang out. I worked for Greenpeace in Washington D.C. on a global warming campaign and an anti-whaling campaign. I've lived all over the US, including Louisiana, Alaska, Washington D.C. and Florida.

Some of my favorite bands include Social Distortion, Signal to Noise, Cities, The Dear Hunter, The Appleseed Cast, This Will Destroy You, Lydia, No Trigger, The Dead Kennedys, The Adolescents, Gnarles Barkley, and Comeback Kid.

Here are the bands I've played/toured with, in chronological order:

Hold for Swank (Present) http://www.myspace.com/holdforswank
Anchors for Reality - Petosky Michigan (November, 2007) http://www.myspace.com/anchorsforreality
Between Fear and Faith - Chicago (October, 2007) http://www.myspace.com/infearandfaithmusic
The Street Brats - Chicago (May, 2007 - October, 2007) http://www.myspace.com/streetbrats
Playing for Keeps/Wayfare - Omaha, Nebraska (2005 - April, 2007) http://www.myspace.com/wayfarerock
Days Away/Days to Days - Omaha, Nebraska (2004 - 2005) http://www.soundclick.com/daystodays
Bagshot Row - Omaha, Nebraska (2002 - 2004) http://www.soundclick.com/bagshotrow

I've also done a lot of studio work for lots of random bands around the country. Weird.

Varg
Failed DMACC

Post by Varg » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:22 pm

Varg- age 16, virgin, failed DMACC (had to drop-out), never been in a band, but I have A youtube video.

I go to church on Sunday mornings, but then I practice witchcraft/satanism in my parents basement Sunday nights with my friends- (cause I'm evil like that) so it alllll balances out.

I have no friends, I do steroids (of the anabolic variety) and I hate niggers.
---success in social interaction lies in making them afraid to see you disapprove

laffeyn

Post by laffeyn » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:40 pm

I'm also Nick. I grew up in Des Moines but moved to Minneapolis last year, I still frequent the Des Moines area for friends, fam and Tasty Tacos. I lived in and helped run The Playground on the eastside for a year and played drums in a shitty twee rock fun band called Family Unit. We all moved to Minneapolis to strike it big but realized we have no talent, there was also shit in our basement which caused great tension, so we broke up.

I don't eat meat.

I process and troubleshoot payroll issues for a living. I know a lot about taxes. I've also worked as a stagehand for several years and I juggle for money.

I like to make juggling videos from time to time and post them here to see if I'll get made fun of.

http://www.juggling.tv/vaults/view_vide ... 1a76be463b