Places and Times to Mosh in the Near Future

Moderators: Joe, ABOMB515, Darrin

Joey Chaos
Destroy!

Brass Knuckle Boys on St Paddys day! TONIGHT!

Post by Joey Chaos » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:41 pm

March 17th w/ Haze the Hides and The Torpedo darlings

@ The Beechwood Lounge

8 pm, 5 bucks, 21 +
Last edited by Joey Chaos on Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Re: Brass Knuckle Boys on St Paddys day!

Post by El Rhino » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:55 am

I'll be damned.

That's pretty cool, I'll be there.

Joey Chaos
Destroy!

Post by Joey Chaos » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:29 am

Getting closer, dis gon be da shiet!

P.S. Lewellin, I think your 515crew got hacked.

jjjsXe

Post by jjjsXe » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:49 pm

was planin' on going but other plans came up. whoops. enjoy your 2nd good non-hardcore show of the year everybody. see you all on april 5th! especially you joe, you should definitely come to that show, think about it.
abortions for some, miniature american flags for others

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Re: Brass Knuckle Boys on St Paddys day! TONIGHT!

Post by El Rhino » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:10 pm

This show ended up being pretty sweet.

Haze the Hides - Ended up being unenjoyable simply because the place was fucking packed and full of people celebrating my least favorite holiday. No offense to the bog trotters, I just really hate St. Patrick's Day. Greg sounds a lot like Ian Stuart sometimes. I wonder if that's his inspiration, I remember listening to his copy of a copy of a copy Skrewdriver cassette in his basement back in the day.

Torpedo Darlings - I actually really liked these guys. I had never seen them before. Someone described them to me as Clash style punk and I agree with that although the vocals/lyrics are a little more like melodic hardcore. Darren Owens is pretty much the Justin Timberlake or Donnie Wahlberg of the scene as there were a handful of adoring young ladies there to see him.

They covered "Because You're Young" by Cocksparrer, which was alright. I'd rather not see another Oi!!!/street punk/"hey guys, we're punk rockers but really want to be skinheads but aren't going to say it too loudly" band cover Cocksparrer but since musically the Torpedo Darlings don't fit that demographic (although certainly as people they fall into the first category) it came off just fine. For an example of what I'm talking about, if say, The Mutts, Suburban Scum, Knuckled Down, Vandon Arms or whoever covered a Cocksparrer song, it would be lame. If say, Haze The Hides or Tyborn Jig or something wanted to belt out "Take 'Em All", it would probably be alright. Also I believe that bands who cover Cocksparrer should also mix up the songs they cover instead of the usual three or four. A band covering "East End Girl" or "Closedown" would be sweet.

The Injected - I don't think anyone knew these guys were going to play. They weren't on the flyer. The night before these guys and BKB played in Tulsa and stayed with a dude I know down there's house. They called me asking a question about the location of the venue and mentioned something about how the Injected weren't on the flyer, but they're coming to play. I was hoping it wouldn't turn into some sort of fiasco, but I think it went smoothly. I thought this band was pretty good, kind of a "street punk" act. People started moving tables and shit out of the way for a pit for this band and a lot of people seemed to be into them. They said Des Moines was the best show they've played all tour.

The crowd had thinned out for the BKB, but it was still a good sized crowd. They were on point. I'd never seen them before. I've heard their albums before, but honestly wasn't too familiar with them. One of the opening guitar riffs was the same one for "Opa War Sturmfurher" (Grandpa was an SS officer) by Landser, which was kind of a bummer that it really wasn't that song. They finished their set with a sanitized version of "The Voice of Britian" by Skrewdriver with the lyrics changed to something to do with the band's name or "The Voice of Des Moines" or something like that. I couldn't quite make it out. They were good dudes too and plan on coming back in the summer.

All things considered, it was a good show with a basement/DIY feel to it.

joseph

Post by joseph » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:27 pm

El Rhino wrote: Darren Owens is pretty much the Justin Timberlake or Donnie Wahlberg of the scene as there were a handful of adoring young ladies there to see him.
D.O. has always been a pimp. (donnie wahlberg?)

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:40 pm

Wasn't Donnie Wahlberg the "Heartthrob" of NKOTB? No wait, he was the bad boy... Jordan Knight? Fuck, I guess I don't know. I was too busy listening to Motley Crue back then.

Oh, the best part of the night was once the show was over it was pretty much just the skinheads hanging out in the basement of the place. A group of thugged out black dudes came downstairs from outside, took a couple steps into the bar, stopped, looked at everybody and then immediately they all turned around and hightailed it out of there without saying a word to each other. Ha ha! It would've been awesome of the music would've magically stopped when they walked in.

joseph

Post by joseph » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:48 pm

El Rhino wrote:Wasn't Donnie Wahlberg the "Heartthrob" of NKOTB? No wait, he was the bad boy... Jordan Knight? Fuck, I guess I don't know. I was too busy listening to Motley Crue back then.
i always think of him as the puss ified actor that tries to be the tuff guy but always looks like hes biting his lip so he wont cry....

does the beechwood have a seperate bar in the basement or do you gotta go upstairs?

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:19 pm

joseph wrote:
El Rhino wrote:Wasn't Donnie Wahlberg the "Heartthrob" of NKOTB? No wait, he was the bad boy... Jordan Knight? Fuck, I guess I don't know. I was too busy listening to Motley Crue back then.
i always think of him as the puss ified actor that tries to be the tuff guy but always looks like hes biting his lip so he wont cry....

does the beechwood have a seperate bar in the basement or do you gotta go upstairs?

It does have a seperate bar in the basement. Separate bathroom too. I'm not sure if they leave the basement open during normal operation though.

joseph

Post by joseph » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:32 pm

El Rhino wrote:It does have a seperate bar in the basement. Separate bathroom too. I'm not sure if they leave the basement open during normal operation though.
thats good to know. robs been talking with darren about having a "buddy" show of some kind or other there... i dont know if anythingll happen though

noel_nothing

Post by noel_nothing » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:56 pm

El Rhino wrote:Ha ha! It would've been awesome of the music would've magically stopped when they walked in.
or you heard that needle scratching across the vinyl sound. didnt anyone ask what they were drinking before they left?

Cosmo

Post by Cosmo » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:09 pm

My favorite parts of the night, besides the music, which was all really good, was the Matt Mutt Slippery Shoe Extravaganza. Also, the mysterious white liquid dripping from the ceiling which added to the slick shoes. All in all, it was a great show. That place needs a little better beer selection and to not have white liquids that stain my jacket and shirt dripping from the ceiling. It's pretty gross. And TD are quickly becoming my new favorite local-ish band.