More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

ilikehorses
Fun\Death Dealer

i made cupcakes

Post by ilikehorses » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:45 pm

i'm very excited about my new hobby: vegan cupcakes.
these are mint chocolate. the mint frosting didn't solidify as much as i had hoped, but they still turned out pretty well.

Even today, I can't see a car run a red light without instantly having an image flash into my head of a man's erect penis, penetrating a watermelon.

UGH I SUCK

Thomas

Re: i made cupcakes

Post by Thomas » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:38 am

i am verry excted about ur new hoby to!!!!!!! can u send me a cuppcake JK it's the internet u cant send cuppcake on a internett

They look tastey I hope u enjoy the Taste!!! thank's! keep up the good work thank you!!!!!
-thomas

xkristyx
I <3 Pizza

Post by xkristyx » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:02 am

You should come to Ames and bake veg cupcakes with Aud and I. She made carrot cake ones today and Derek is making strawberry ones right now. But seriously we're having a housewarming party today (Sunday) ...come!!!!

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:47 am

Funny you mention it, because I was going to ask....

Are you cooking with flaxseed instead of animal products? If so, tell me about it. Obviously it's going to taste different, but would it be worth it taste-wise for a non-vegan to bake with flaxseed? I can get my daily flax through capsules and putting it into other things (cottage cheese, smoothies, etc), but I was wondering how it would work out with baked goods.

ilikehorses
Fun\Death Dealer

Post by ilikehorses » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:40 am

El Rhino wrote:Funny you mention it, because I was going to ask....

Are you cooking with flaxseed instead of animal products? If so, tell me about it. Obviously it's going to taste different, but would it be worth it taste-wise for a non-vegan to bake with flaxseed? I can get my daily flax through capsules and putting it into other things (cottage cheese, smoothies, etc), but I was wondering how it would work out with baked goods.
the recipe i used didn't call for flax seed. but my dad uses flax seed in a ton of his baking adventures. he puts it in his pizza dough and everything. and the way he does it, it tastes great.
Even today, I can't see a car run a red light without instantly having an image flash into my head of a man's erect penis, penetrating a watermelon.

UGH I SUCK

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:44 am

Tell me more, please.

ilikehorses
Fun\Death Dealer

Post by ilikehorses » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:45 am

xkristyx wrote:You should come to Ames and bake veg cupcakes with Aud and I. She made carrot cake ones today and Derek is making strawberry ones right now. But seriously we're having a housewarming party today (Sunday) ...come!!!!
:cry: i have to work.

UGH I SUCK

xkristyx
I <3 Pizza

Post by xkristyx » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:20 pm

Ryan, if you wanna bake with flaxseed use 1 tablespoon of ground flax seed plus 3 tablespoons of water and whisk it till it gets all goopy. That ratio equals one egg!

It's best if you use it in heartier things, i guess like muffins and cookies. I think if you use it in most cupcake recipes the cupcakes end up heavier and more muffiny.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:07 pm

What about flaxseed brownies? Would it work well in brownies?

ilikehorses
Fun\Death Dealer

Post by ilikehorses » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:26 pm

my dad told me that he hated working with wheat flour, because it made it hard to make good pizza or bread dough. so he used unbleached white flour and then added flaxseed (and probably other stuff too) and it made it manageable wheat flour.
that's the extent of my working knowledge, i'm afraid.

UGH I SUCK

Clark

Post by Clark » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:42 am

[quote="xkristyx"]You should come to Ames and bake veg cupcakes with Aud and I. /quote]

just dropped the A-bomb

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:37 pm

cuppcak's Rule!!! i love a taste of a cupp cake. Plase post a recipy i want to make some form y Frend and Enemy's so we can have a taste of victery in a day of our lifes

thanks a lkot
-Thamsn

Thom

Post by Thom » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:45 pm

Thomas wrote:cuppcak's Rule!!! i love a taste of a cupp cake. Plase post a recipy i want to make some form y Frend and Enemy's so we can have a taste of victery in a day of our lifes

thanks a lkot
-Thamsn

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

xkristyx
I <3 Pizza

Post by xkristyx » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:16 pm

Clark wrote:
xkristyx wrote:You should come to Ames and bake veg cupcakes with Aud and I. /quote]

just dropped the A-bomb
Ames or Aud? ...Ames? Who are you? I live in Ames, it's dumb. Want some cupcakes?

Clark

Post by Clark » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:02 pm

yeah ames sucks. only good thing about it is flying burrito.

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:08 pm

i recently heard their soyrizo has egg.....
can you confirm/deny this?

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:10 pm

inx515xhell wrote:i recently heard their soyrizo has egg.....
can you confirm/deny this?
Confirm.

-Joe.

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:23 pm

that's a narnar.

sickguy

Post by sickguy » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:52 am

Smoking Guns wrote:i love the front two on the right.
they probably taste the best

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:12 am

I have another question:

Vegan chocolate. A quick google search doesn't yield the results I'm looking for.

I vaguely recall several years ago a vegan friend telling me about a type of chocolate that was ok for vegans. I want to say it was baker's chocolate or something, like the squares that you can buy. I see on the internetz there's vegan chocolate that is sold as vegan chocolate, but is there anything you can waltz into Hy-Vee and pick up in the baking aisle or something?

Part Two: Hot chocolate. Over an egg and vegetable MRE omelette at work last week (someone brought in a bunch of them, I'm not that much of a hard charger that I pack MRE's for lunch at work), I was telling someone about how the Iraqis had better field rations than us because they had these packets that were basically like a high quality Dinty Moore of halal foods. Chicken and lentils, lamb stew, curried chicken and so-on. Anyways, they would always come with a humanitarian MRE packet that I thought was supposed to be vegan. Inside this packet, there would be an envelope of hot chocolate. The hot chocolate I have in my cupboard is not vegan. Are there any brands that are?

FYI, the omelette MRE is disguisting. They had that one before my day and discontinued it because of how unappealing it was. I guess they brought it back (along with several other exciting menu choices) within the past year or so. I had to try it because I always heard horror stories about it and I wanted to prove to everyone how hard I am. Go heat up your spaghetti MRE, I'll chow down on this bitch cold.

xkristyx
I <3 Pizza

Post by xkristyx » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:27 am

There's lots of easy to find vegan chocolate. A lot of dark/semi-sweet chocolate is vegan.. liiike more of the fancy stuff you find in the health market. Endangered Species dark chocolate is for the most part vegan. Hershey's baking bars are vegan, but they're unsweetened and 100% cacao or whatever, aka gross. Hershey's semi-sweet chocolate chips and dark chocolate are NOT vegan however, even though semi-sweet chocolate is officially not supposed to contain milk in order to be considered semi-sweet.... Girahdelli (whoops butchered that) makes vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips AND vegan drinking cocoa. Target also sells Guittard chocolate chips that are veg (I think this is also the brand that is sold in HyVee health markets in the bulk spout thingies). But yeah. It's mostly just a matter of checking the label. Sometimes I wonder if these major candy companies are in cahoots with the dairy industry, because their ability to sneak milk into anything that doesn't really need milk is ridiculous.

Rice milk chocolate is pretty amazing, but I've only seen it at Gateway.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:38 am

Ok, so it's not just a certain type of chocolate that's vegan. Thank you, Kristy.

I think the dude was probably talking about the baking bars.

I don't know if the candy companies would really be in cahoots with the diary industry, I'd figure it's more of a marketing/how the chocolate is presented issue. Most people believe that chocolate is supposed to have milk in it and prefer milk chocolate to dark/semi-sweet chocolate, so they're going to find a way to put milk in there, whether it needs it or not.

Oh, speaking of milk and what it gets put into, this same guy had to really search his soul to decide whether or not he was going to use a computer because I guess there's milk protein in some component of computers.

xkristyx
I <3 Pizza

Post by xkristyx » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:40 am

No, but I wrote you a novel anyway. Ha!

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:41 am

Well, I appreciate it.

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:02 am

freeze dried eggs :x

ilikehorses
Fun\Death Dealer

Post by ilikehorses » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:56 pm

i need to make more cupcakes.

UGH I SUCK

Nlaffey

Post by Nlaffey » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:41 pm

Erin made some vegan cookies using flaxseed. I thought they were way good. Better than normal cookies she makes.