More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

DaVo

Spotify

Post by DaVo » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:19 pm

Was wondering if anyone else is playing around with it? I really like the idea of sharing play lists though I've only did one so far.

http://open.spotify.com/user/davoaxiom/ ... XSIe2E1RSh
Last edited by DaVo on Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I paid my dues but I lost my Receipt.

Walking Thunder

Re: Sporify

Post by Walking Thunder » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:34 am

I don't do spores, dude.
-John
Doomed to endure and prevail.

Nick

Re: Spotify

Post by Nick » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:23 am

Shit rules. I sorta wanna pay for the premium service so I can have it on my phone.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:23 pm

Nick wrote:Shit rules. I sorta wanna pay for the premium service so I can have it on my phone.
Yeah I upgraded last week. It's really nice to have access to all the streaming anywhere I wish especially in the car. I have to say compared to the other streaming services I've tried over the years, this is the most complete catalog I've seen. Also they don't nail you with mandatory tracks like Pandora or limit tracks you can skip. The buffering has been as big as a problem either.

I've even been using the player and doesn't seem to be as much of a bandwidth hog or as glicky as itunes but it takes up a little more memory then WMP. Also there hasn't been the crashes that I've experienced with amazon and google's lockers. Even downloading the tracks for your play lists doesn't seem to effect streaming.

Also I'm digging the social end of it and the idea of sharing playlists and contributing to them.

If anyone wants to play with it, I have a few invites left. Just send me your e-mail.

Walking Thunder

Post by Walking Thunder » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:29 pm

-John
Doomed to endure and prevail.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:42 pm

Walking Thunder wrote:Uh-oh, busted:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20085 ... t-lawsuit/
PacketVideo does this to just about every new service. I'm not an expert on Patent law but from what I understand, the patent for a device for the distribution of digital audio files over the internet or other network. Basically they are claiming that even though Spotify is not using their software, they are infringing on their patent by distributing files over the internet. It's kind of like having a patent for vehicles that are fueled by gasoline and unless they are using Packetvideo's source code I doubt much will come of it. It's too vague to hold up. Chances are PacketVideo is looking for some settlement money.

As far as the permanent injunction goes, they have about the same chance Apple has in banning the import of HTC phones.