More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

OneCoolGuy

Looking for (but not buying) a new guitar.

Post by OneCoolGuy » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:44 pm

Title says all. Wanting to buy a new guitar. Not yet to the buying stage, but I'd like some input on what to get. What I am looking for:

I play drone/ambient styles (Sunn O))) is my primary influence). So I want something that has sustain, and lots of "weight."
I want something with a great low end.
Mainly, I just want something that is powerful, and very loud. I play through a 100 watt bass amp for *oomph* and that's what I'm going for here.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Re: Looking for (but not buying) a new guitar.

Post by Big Fat Retard » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:50 pm

a Les Paul.
I poop on Petland!

moltar

Post by moltar » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:15 pm

Get a baritone.

Potter

Post by Potter » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:31 pm

Metronome is a good ol' tool.

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:31 am

a les paul is about the heaviest. jrs right. not any of those studio models tho they weigh about as much as an sg.

bc richs are real heavy as well. warlocks especially and theyre a lot cheaper than a les paul.

if you just want to drone and ring out more id go more towards speakers(15s are easier to hold notes than 12s) and cabinets than a new guitar

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Post by Big Fat Retard » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:43 pm

joseph wrote:a les paul is about the heaviest. jrs right. not any of those studio models tho they weigh about as much as an sg.

bc richs are real heavy as well. warlocks especially and theyre a lot cheaper than a les paul.

if you just want to drone and ring out more id go more towards speakers(15s are easier to hold notes than 12s) and cabinets than a new guitar
he's right. don't use the studio Les Pauls. The Tele Deluxe is also a good, dense, slab of wood and they have humbuckers.
I poop on Petland!

OneCoolGuy

Post by OneCoolGuy » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:17 pm

Big Fat Retard wrote:Tele Deluxe is also a good, dense, slab of wood and they have humbuckers.
Tele Deluxe is also cheaper than a Les Paul I assume?

OneCoolGuy

Post by OneCoolGuy » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:29 pm

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/prod ... 511141#new

That's looking pretty cool right now.

A Les Paul is out of the question, because the cheapest they have is well over $1000.

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:31 pm

if all youre looking for is sustain so you can hold a note forever without it corrupting into another piercing feedback noise- you can mute the strings with your hands on the neck. all but the one you want to ring out. also stay away from bending the neck and the body, that makes strings loose their vibration because they actually twist when your bends affect the nut or bridge(also why downtuning holds notes longer because the tension in the string is lessened). the key to drone is actually volume and vibration of speakers in your cabinets. that is why sunn actually uses all that power. i hope you noticed that they dont use wheels or castors on the cabinets when theyre set up. if all you cabinets touch the floor/stage becomes another cabinet which sometimes will spread up the wall through the beams.

or you could learn how to cheat and buy an ebow

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:36 pm

OneCoolGuy wrote:http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/prod ... 511141#new

That's looking pretty cool right now.

A Les Paul is out of the question, because the cheapest they have is well over $1000.
wow. if you have that kind of money in mind you can find a used les paul. you just have to wait and search. i got a friend that regularly buys them around 500-600 and resells them for about twice that after a year or so.

my other suggestion on sustain is to find something with a fatter neck fender calls them a c-neck which is my favorite. kinda feels like a baseball bat. id also reccomend a longer neck like a 24 fret one.

Nickyouredead

Post by Nickyouredead » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:45 pm

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Post by Big Fat Retard » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:47 pm

OneCoolGuy wrote:
Big Fat Retard wrote:Tele Deluxe is also a good, dense, slab of wood and they have humbuckers.
Tele Deluxe is also cheaper than a Les Paul I assume?
In most cases yes. Hohner also made some really good copies in the 70's that are cheaper, but very well made. Here's Keith Richards putting his Tele Deluxe to good use. Notice how it stays in tune when he's done.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyK0y02HvVc
I poop on Petland!

OneCoolGuy

Post by OneCoolGuy » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:53 pm

@Joseph

Thanks for the little tidbit about the amps. I didn't know that. I'm actually a bass player, so I'm currently running through a 100 watt Fender rumble amp. I'm actually very satisfied with the sound it gives.

I'd like to go used with Gibsons, but there's one problem. They have so many different kinds and models of Les Pauls, and they all generally look the same. I always need to know the exact make and model when buying. :/

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:54 pm

Nickyouredead wrote:http://desmoines.craigslist.org/msg/1255325088.html

Kind of a steal if its a Gibson.
i still dont know how to post pictures
http://www.amazon.com/Gibson-Special-El ... B0002MSWTC

i thought there was something weird about the faded series?

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Post by Big Fat Retard » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:52 pm

I was listening to Ted Nugent "Double Live Gonzo" and forgot about all the crazy feedback and sustain he had with that big ass hollow body Gibson electric. You may want to try something like that rather than a real heavy guitar.
I poop on Petland!

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:00 pm

Big Fat Retard wrote:I was listening to Ted Nugent "Double Live Gonzo" and forgot about all the crazy feedback and sustain he had with that big ass hollow body Gibson electric. You may want to try something like that rather than a real heavy guitar.
nugent is sweet. but if you want sunn and downtuned low end drone a hollowbody will be way too bright and the feedback from a hollowbody is piercing and hard to deal with unless you can get about 20 feet away from a fullstack. the sustain would be due to the gibson and nugents playing-imo