More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

Nick

Screeching Weasel show in Austin, TX

Post by Nick » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:05 pm

So, as some of you probably have heard, "Screeching Weasel" are playing a show in Austin, TX in April. I put Screeching Weasel in quotes, because although they will be playing tunes from the band, they (Ben Weasel and Dan Vapid) didn't invite a founding member of the band to play the shows: Jughead. I think it's pretty fucked, but I guess I shouldn't expect less of Ben Weasel. Dude really is an asshole. Is it really Screeching Weasel without Jughead (who was a founding memeber and lead guitarist, but didn't write any songs) or should the band just play under "Ben Weasel" or something, like he has done in the past?

Personally, I think it is pretty fucked that they slighted Jughead like this, as it seems he would have been on board if he had been asked. Anyway, Jughead posted a comment about this on his MySpace Blog. Read it below and discuss.
Subject: A Statement by John Jughead Pierson
Body: (I will not respond to comments made about this statement, nor do I plan on speaking further about it. But feel free to cut and paste this statement anywhere you please.)

If it weren’t for the fact that I actually enjoy conversing with the fans of my prior bands, I would never have found out about a new band called Screeching Weasel beginning to tour. “This can’t be the band I was in.” I say to myself. “I would have been preparing.” My mind would much prefer going to a place of calm contemplation than into a dark cold room filled with anger and the emotions associated with betrayal. So to avoid painful emoting I first took the facts that Ben and I started a band together called Screeching Weasel, we both spent all our days making that band a home for ourselves, and 18 years later we put it to rest. This along with the statement made by both me and Ben on many occasions that the band wouldn’t be Screeching Weasel without either of us, makes me assume that this band playing isn’t Screeching Weasel, because I don’t recall having kicked myself out of the band. So it seems logical that this is not Screeching Weasel. If it were I would have to admit that I no longer have friends named Ben Foster or Dan Schafer. As for people like Ben Weasel, Dan Vapid, or even John Jughead, I have nothing to say, because they never really existed, they were just made up names for a bunch of friends that tried to do something different in order to survive and make a living in this world. And I imagine they are all still trying to make a living somehow, seeing that their band’s prominent “leader” never wanted to tour in order to make it financially viable to continue on.

Nick

Re: Screeching Weasel show in Austin, TX

Post by Nick » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:26 pm

Oh snap, this just got legit. It has been posted on punknews. Sweet revenge, Mr. Weasel. http://www.punknews.org/article/32891

Anyway....Just my personal opinion here, but I think it is pretty fucked up that Jughead was never asked and didn't even find out about the "Screeching Weasel" shows until he heard it from a fan. From the statement he posted, he was obvioulsy bummed, hence him saying he feels "betrayed" and didn't want to have to "painfuly" emote how he felt about the SW shows. My opinion has nothing to do with wether or not Jughead is seen as a "crucial" member in order for the band to be called "Screeching Weasel." My opinion on this being fucked up is that he was just left out in the cold. Totally betrayed, like he never even existed in a band he helped form. That, to me = completely fucking backstabbing and cruel. I lost a LOT of respect of Ben Weasel, but then again, I don't know any of the backstory to their past and why he would do something like this in the first place. I just feel bad for Jughead is all, as the dude sounds legitimately bummed about this.

You couldn't pay me to go to one of these shows. Loyalty and integrity are values that I hold highest....Ben Weasel doesn't seem to have either of these. He seems to be loyal to himself and that is all. It's pretty sad to me. I still like the guy as a musician and will continue to buy his solo stuff and probably even the SW reissues, but I won't support him by going to shows if he continues to tour under the SW moniker. Just my two cents.

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Post by servo » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:49 pm

im totally on your side on this

cam meyers is not
Tu vir nunc es, canis

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:16 pm

no care ever

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:41 am

if only i was 16.

tylerjames515

Post by tylerjames515 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:41 am

Nick wrote:
You couldn't pay me to go to one of these shows. Loyalty and integrity are values that I hold highest....Ben Weasel doesn't seem to have either of these. He seems to be loyal to himself and that is all. It's pretty sad to me. I still like the guy as a musician and will continue to buy his solo stuff and probably even the SW reissues, but I won't support him by going to shows if he continues to tour under the SW moniker. Just my two cents.
Maybe it is just me but this sounds fucking stupid. Either you support them or you don't. Guess what, if you're buying their records you support them and are helping the band tour whenever you put any money towards them...
Rooster wrote:cant worship the devil unless you are 21 now

jjjsXe

Post by jjjsXe » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:32 pm

tylerjames515 wrote:
Nick wrote:
Maybe it is just me but this sounds fucking stupid. Either you support them or you don't. Guess what, if you're buying their records you support them and are helping the band tour whenever you put any money towards them...
I wouldn't say that me buying a copy of Boogadaboogadaboogada in 1999 is me supporting an active "Screeching Weasel" in 2009. I think that most people who like them pretty much have all the records that they want by them and im sure if they are like me, they purchased them at least 10 years ago or more.
Last edited by jjjsXe on Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abortions for some, miniature american flags for others

Nick

Post by Nick » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:40 pm

tylerjames515 wrote:
Nick wrote:
Well...when buying the Screeching Weasel reissues, the money made would be split between all previous members of the band that were part of any album reissued. Therefore, Jughead would be getting royalties, since he has played guitar on all Screeching Weasel albums.

Since he obviously isn't going to be a part of any of these "reunion" shows, he won't get any cut of the money to be made (and they will for sure make money of these shows). So to say it is stupid to support buying their albums, but not going to theses shows...in turn makes you look stupid. These shows are pretty much a Ben Weasel cashgrab. Dude is a slimy and greedy prick. He is slighting one of the founding members of the band, who is obviously hurt by not offering to be apart of this "reunion." Why in the fuck would any fan support that?

I'd be fine with this is he'd just tour under the name Ben Weasel, like he did last year, but considering both Ben and Jughead agreed that there would never be "Screeching Weasel" again in the future unless BOTH of them were involved is a fucking slap in the face to Jughead. Ben Weasel is a shitty dude.

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:00 pm

would you say he's a......weasel?

joseph

Post by joseph » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:04 pm

Nick wrote:Well...when buying the Screeching Weasel reissues, the money made would be split between all previous members of the band that were part of any album reissued. Therefore, Jughead would be getting royalties, since he has played guitar on all Screeching Weasel albums.
just because they put out a record doesnt necessarily mean they get royalties.

if youre worried about it jsut buy it used.

Nick

Post by Nick » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:08 pm

Hank Fist wrote:would you say he's a......weasel?
I lol'd. 8/10.

Nick

Post by Nick » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:10 pm

joseph wrote:if youre worried about it jsut buy it used.
I'm all for buying used albums, but these SW reissues are all going to be vinyl releases on Recess Records. For someone like myself who doesn't wanna pay out the nose to have an original pressing of the LPs on Lookout Records, the reissues are/will be the next best thing.

joseph

Post by joseph » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:14 pm

wait, you mean people pay real money for sw records? fuck. i shoulda kept mine then.

Nick

Post by Nick » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:20 pm

joseph wrote:wait, you mean people pay real money for sw records? fuck. i shoulda kept mine then.
Yeah...original pressings go for pretty decent cash. Especially the 7" eps.

joseph

Post by joseph » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:26 pm

i hate selling records, i dont do it anymore. i traded a lot of "lookout" band stuff when i got bored when i was like? 19ish?(thats about 15 years ago)

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Post by servo » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:47 pm

ok coupla things here

one, nick is obviously a poser for not owning og weasel lps :)

second, this is way more entertaining on the pop punk bored

three, i really hate ben weasel, even though he tweeted at me last week

four, i hope jughead sees some cash from the lp reissues. i know ben made him sign over all rights to the name screeching weasel years ago but hopefully he still gets songwriting royalties.

five, its not screeching weasel without jughead

six, television city dream is criminally overlooked

seven, i need the following weasel items. hook it up
12"s
s/t lp
ramones lp
teen punks in heat (i guess... its better than emo at least)
major label debut
7"s
snappy answers to stupid questions
pink lincolns split
happy horny gay and sassy
pervo dervo
jesus hates you
Tu vir nunc es, canis

jjjsXe

Post by jjjsXe » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:57 pm

Robert sold me the "you broke my fucking heart" 7" about 8 years ago. Somehow, the actual record dissapeared and all I have left is the sleeve. Mary was an anarchist and American dream are a couple of my favorite SW songs and now I only can listen to them on the kill the musicians cd. Not the same.
abortions for some, miniature american flags for others

Nick

Post by Nick » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:17 pm

servo wrote:ok coupla things here

one, nick is obviously a poser for not owning og weasel lps :)

second, this is way more entertaining on the pop punk bored
Truth!

For what it's worth, Screeching Weasel has been one of my favorite bands since I was 15 or so. The 2nd punk CD I bought was "Kill The Musicians" back in 1994. I never really got into vinyl until the last 1 1/2-2 years, so by the time I got around to wanting these albums on vinyl, they were going for ridiculous prices. I do have every full length on CD though. My CD collection is WAY bigger than my vinyl collection 700+ CDs compared to 200+ records.

Also...yeah...that Pop Punk Bored thread is pretty stellar. I especially like Toby RedScare's rants and Dan Vapid chiming in. What is your username on the PPMB, servo? Do you post there or just lurk?

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Post by servo » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:23 pm

ive applied for that board 3 times and never got approved
i really wanna be on it, but my registration never goes through for some dumb reason
Tu vir nunc es, canis

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:08 pm

Hank Fist wrote:if only i was 16.
i meant 14.
With my G&S "The Capitalist" Deck, small wheels and huge pants.

Nick

Post by Nick » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:21 pm

servo wrote:ive applied for that board 3 times and never got approved
i really wanna be on it, but my registration never goes through for some dumb reason
Weird. I've never heard of that problem there? Did you ever check your spam folder in your e-mail for the activation e-mail?

It is a great way to get ahold of and talk with a lot of bands. You NEED to sign up there! :)

Nick

Post by Nick » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:23 pm

Hank Fist wrote:
i meant 14.
lol.

At 14 I probably was probably riding a Steve Caballero deck, pretty small Spitfire wheels and sporting some super massive H-Street pants.

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:42 pm

Nick wrote:
Hank Fist wrote:
i meant 14.
lol.

At 14 I probably was probably riding a Steve Caballero deck, pretty small Spitfire wheels and sporting some super massive H-Street pants.
yeah, spitfire or slimeballs!

Nick

Post by Nick » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:54 pm

Hank Fist wrote: yeah, spitfire or slimeballs!
Gullwing trucks.