More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

KY Jelly Belly

Hunter S Thompson appreciation thread

Post by KY Jelly Belly » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:09 pm

Since it's been exactly 4 years since he died I thought I'd post this:

"Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish — a product of the demented imagination of a lazy drunken hillbilly with a heart full of hate who has found a way to live out where the real winds blow — to sleep late, have fun, get wild, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love and not getting arrested...Res ipsa loquitur. Let the good times roll."

-Hunter S. Thompson, Gonzo Papers, Vol. 2: Generation of Swine: Tales of Shame and Degradation in the '80s (1988)

inx515xhell

Re: Hunter S Thompson appreciation thread

Post by inx515xhell » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:13 pm

have the dagger tattooed on the back of my right arm. loved this man.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:07 pm

The biggest question is, was he the drunk, drug crazed, gun carrying outlaw he portrayed or was he really just playing a role? It's always made me laugh when people try to make out Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas as some kind of pro-drugs handbook. When in reality it was not. In fact it was more about drugs not being the answer. Sure it's funny, interesting, etc... but it may will have been the most anti-drug subculture enlightenment bullshit book ever written. The sad part about Mr. Thompson is that he became a victim of his own fame and the character he created. The way he died may have been more of a statement of who he was then anything he wrote. He wasn't in fact billy badass and his last statement was to kill off the character that he created.
I paid my dues but I lost my Receipt.

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:52 pm

i'm soaking my rug with ether as we speak.......

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:54 am

No appreciation from El Rhino. Could never get into him.

Did anyone ever read about the possible connection between him and the Johnny Gosch dudes? Fucked up shit.

DARKBASS

Post by DARKBASS » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:04 pm

does any literate person not admire hunter ?
MARK'O'WAR

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:08 pm

El Rhino wrote:No appreciation from El Rhino. Could never get into him.

Did anyone ever read about the possible connection between him and the Johnny Gosch dudes? Fucked up shit.
What? I've heard all about the Johnny Gosch + Boys Town + Child whoring + Republican Party + Bush but nothing about a Hunter connection. Don't be a tease, let's hear it.

Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:27 pm

yah totally a dead dude that got fucked up!

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:54 pm

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:49 pm

Yeah had read about most of that before but had never heard about the Hunter S Thompson snuff film connection before. It's all one hell of a story but if half of it is true all these kids would have been killed years ago. They sure as hell wouldn't put them in the public eye as part of the White House press core.

It all started with a couple of fucked up kids in trouble trying to talk their way out of jail time. Now it's turned into a full on publishing industry. There is what 4 or 5 books on the subject now?

The thing that always bugged me was that there seems to be no mention of Eugene Martin or Marc James Warren Allen that all happened within 2 years of each other. Basically the same MO on all three. They all three were taken and killed by the same person and is either dead or been in jail since the late 80s. I always thought there was some connection to John Joubert and the murders in Papillion, Nebraska.