More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

DaVo

What We Do Is Secret DVD

Post by DaVo » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:32 pm

So I guess it is out. Is there a copy at BPE?

I've been hearing about this movie for over 10 years and the trailers I've seen so far didn't look high quality. Regardless a movie about the Germs should be interesting.
I paid my dues but I lost my Receipt.

teedotjaydot

Re: What We Do Is Secret DVD

Post by teedotjaydot » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:23 pm

yeah we have it.

it's been pretty popular.
i need a shower, a shave and maybe a song with a melody

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:55 pm

teedotjaydot wrote:yeah we have it.

it's been pretty popular.
I figured it would be. Is it any good? Anyone seen it?

awelldressedman

Post by awelldressedman » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:21 am

It's decent, some of the acting is a little over the top. but the story is entertaining, the bronx plays black flag and chris pontius from jackass licks ketamine off the floor while dressed up like a devil. It's worth checking out just for those two scenes.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:25 am

awelldressedman wrote:It's decent, some of the acting is a little over the top. but the story is entertaining, the bronx plays black flag and chris pontius from jackass licks ketamine off the floor while dressed up like a devil. It's worth checking out just for those two scenes.
For the amount of money that was spent on this movie, it looks a lot better than I thought it would. I was really worried that it would look like a really bad movie that some high school kids made on a couple of weekends.

I really didn't dig the Bronx playing Black Flag. They look nothing like any of the members. Chris Pontius is playing Black Randy. The shit that Black Randy did makes everything the jackass guys ever did tame.

Cool parts- The Screamers at the Masque, The show at the Orthene Theatre, and the last show.

Lame parts - The fact that you hear countless great bands like the Weirdos playing live in the background but don't see them. Sean West's voice, I mean he could have tried harder. Noah Segan as Don, he just looks like he's wearing a wig and he comes across as a dumb ass. The worst part is Sebastian Roché as Claude Kickboy Bessy, there is a ton of footage of Bessy and the guy just doesn't pull it off. It's almost like he was this french guy that they knew so he got the role.

Problems - The night of the last show when Darby goes to Okie Dog, it was raining and that was the main reason no one showed up.

Darby killed himself 4 days after the last show and it was in the arms of Casey Cola and if I remember right the garage.

Penelope Spheeris must have put some money in or supported the film some how cause it was her that supplied the drugs and beer to get him all fucked up for the Decline footage to give it a more "real" feeling. One scene that I thought would have been included was the screening of Decline in which Darby cried because he came off as such a moron.

There isn't enough Gerber and it leaves out a whole part of the story. There was a love triangle going on between Darby, Rob Henley and Gerber that may have lead to the suicide. It would have made the one scene with Gerber fucking Rob make more sense. Also the real Gerber was a lot hotter.

It also seems that they could have spent more time in Darby's room and his whole mind control thing. It would have made it a lot more interesting.

What works is the uses of the interviews. I guess there is like 3 or 4 hours worth that never saw print. Maybe some day they will print them. It is a good bio pic for what they spent on it. I was really happy to see it cause I've been hearing about this film for at least 10 years. Well worth renting and thanks to the BPE guys for getting it in.