More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

Joey Chaos
Destroy!

Re: Would you support a new Venue

Post by Joey Chaos » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:34 pm

Joe wrote:
Joey Chaos wrote:HOB and The Mews both suck, and The Haunted Basement is on it's way down the toilet. DO IT!
The Haunted Basement just had a huge show with a ton of new, younger kids showing up I've never seen before.

It's pretty far away from the toilet.

-Joe.

With you guys moving out, I'd bet money that it either just whithers away, or takes a drastic change for the worst, and then whithers away. Don't get me wrong, I think it's sweet that you're doing it, I wish I could ever get down there to make a show. I'm not hoping that happens, that's just what I see in the future.

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:21 pm

I'm moving out.
Someone is taking my place.
Shit happens.

And Davo, you're right, the only shows that happen at the HB are Metal Crossover ones. All of the shows. If you don't like that shit, don't come.

-Joe.

Potter

Post by Potter » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:43 pm

Disclaimer: I didn't read anything in this thread other than the title.

If you find people to help go in on a small business loan I would offer my time and help to clean up First Cup Cafe and turn it into a bitchin venue. That part of town is squalor and could use some positive punk rock renovation.

Edit: Okay so a skimmed a little bit of this.

I could offer help with reconstruction and once opened I can help out with booking and promotion. Give me a job behind the bar and I'm a happy camper. But I'm all about this. Lets get the ball rolling.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:47 pm

Joe wrote:I'm moving out.
Someone is taking my place.
Shit happens.

And Davo, you're right, the only shows that happen at the HB are Metal Crossover ones. All of the shows. If you don't like that shit, don't come.

-Joe.
I don't know everything but seeing how you are in on it and the bands I checked out that played were, I just figured that a majority of them were metal tough guy hardcore.
I paid my dues but I lost my Receipt.

Potter

Post by Potter » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:51 pm

Please don't argue over petty shit. Lets keep things serious in a thread for once. I'd like to work to diversify the des moines scene anyways. From Hip hop to rockabilly to metal crossover. Its all good to me.

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Post by Big Fat Retard » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:54 pm

DaVo wrote: Here's the situation, first off there would be food with a full menu, maybe even a vegan dish or two. Which maybe able to allow a variance so that those under 21 in after 9pm. There would also be a smaller room that is not part of the main room with a full bar. Much like 1st Ave, it would be possible to make the main room Booze free and allow those that wish to drink in the other bar area.
I hear that the Des Moines Music Commission (not to be confused with the Coalition) is asking the Des Moines Shitty Council to make an exemption for live music venues on the 21 and over law. They tried it before on a trial basis and there were no problems. I'm not sure why they let it lapse. Anyway, there's a possiblity that by 2009 minors would be allowed into designated live music venues.

When I lived in Minneapolis, I used to love the 7th Street Entry. In the early 80's they used to cover the floor with sod so people could go nuts and beat the hell out of each other without worrying about cracking their heads on the floor. The drunken sod fights at the end of the night were the best.
I poop on Petland!

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:56 pm

DaVo wrote:metal tough guy hardcore.
Spot on.
That's me to a T.

-Joe.

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Post by Big Fat Retard » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:46 am

Live music and strippers would be the shit! Somebody needs to get that going.
I poop on Petland!

tylerjames515

Post by tylerjames515 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:41 am

What do you know, I am a stripper.
Rooster wrote:cant worship the devil unless you are 21 now

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:28 pm

storkus wrote:
DaVo wrote:
kenny rock wrote:how far off the beaten path would this place be?
Northside almost to the suburbs.
Are you sure you're not accidentally opening a strip club?
You know that strip clubs are the highest grossing live entertainment in Des Moines. At the heart of the idea, yes it is the same. The only major difference is that a Live venue goes through a great deal less tin foil then a naked beggar bar.

Potter

Post by Potter » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:54 pm

Are you going to just talk shit and "flex your brain" or are you here to actually try and get something started?

I'm confused and a little frustrated.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:58 am

Potter wrote:Are you going to just talk shit and "flex your brain" or are you here to actually try and get something started?

I'm confused and a little frustrated.
Here's the point I'm at. Do I really want to disrupt my life and throw myself into another project that may or may not pay off. I would love to get something going again but until I get past the "ifs" I can't really commit to anything. The bottom line is that if I'm going to do this, I have to be able to looking into the eyes of those that I depend on and say, "This is a good idea." I'm not to that point yet.

Potter

Post by Potter » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:43 pm

I don't think there's a 100% guarantee with anything anybody ever does.

I'm so over this. Its never going to happen.

Cosmo

Post by Cosmo » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:38 pm

Potter wrote:I don't think there's a 100% guarantee with anything anybody ever does.

I'm so over this. Its never going to happen.
Unfortunately, I feel like this thought process is the dominant one in Des Moines. On the other hand, I would love to see this happen. HOB pretty much sucks, Mews has it's drawbacks and I would like another good venue that has booze and shows. I say go for it :!:

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:54 pm

I'm not looking for 100% situation. That doesn't exist. There is always a risk involved no matter what. However it isn't wise to enter into a business situation that isn't going to produce a profit regardless.

The deal at this point is dead. That doesn't mean that I'm not still looking or interested but the people involved have decided to go another way. There was a number of problems with the situation other than it being a live venue or not.

Thanks everyone for their input.
Last edited by DaVo on Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

zach krook

Post by zach krook » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:37 pm

Here's the bottom line. Pompadours = boring and old and will drive people away.
Persona non grata

tom2electricboogaloo

Post by tom2electricboogaloo » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:55 am

zach krook wrote:Here's the bottom line.
pay attention, this is important.

sams

Post by sams » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:49 pm

DaVo wrote:
So I don't have the answer. Is Des Moines able to support a venue that covers everything from punk and hardcore to metal to indy and alt country to hip hop and god knows what? You know in the past I was told that there was no way Des Moines could support shows that needed more then 100 people to break even. Most of those bands are now playing 1000+ rooms when they come here now. You are only limited by your own vision and the vision of those around you and the money you have to play with.
I'll let you know after this fall...

My line-up at People's Court this fall...

Apocalyptica (metal cellist) - 500 peeps
10 Years (active rock) - tank
MGMT (indie pop / psychedelic) - sold out
The Kooks (uk rock)
The Envy Corps (local)
Secondhand Serenade (top 40)
Old 97's (alt-country)
Against Me! (alternative)
Flobots (hiphop)
Norma Jean (metalcore)
Amos Lee (folk/blues)
Plain White Ts (alternative/top 40)
Rev horton heat (rockabilly)

ps... we are going to start doing shows in the side room at peeps which will hold 250.

We could use a 500 cap venue or 1500 cap venue, but I wouldn't wanna open one right now.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:02 pm

sams wrote:
DaVo wrote:
So I don't have the answer. Is Des Moines able to support a venue that covers everything from punk and hardcore to metal to indy and alt country to hip hop and god knows what? You know in the past I was told that there was no way Des Moines could support shows that needed more then 100 people to break even. Most of those bands are now playing 1000+ rooms when they come here now. You are only limited by your own vision and the vision of those around you and the money you have to play with.
I'll let you know after this fall...

My line-up at People's Court this fall...

Apocalyptica (metal cellist) - 500 peeps
10 Years (active rock) - tank
MGMT (indie pop / psychedelic) - sold out
The Kooks (uk rock)
The Envy Corps (local)
Secondhand Serenade (top 40)
Old 97's (alt-country)
Against Me! (alternative)
Flobots (hiphop)
Norma Jean (metalcore)
Amos Lee (folk/blues)
Plain White Ts (alternative/top 40)
Rev horton heat (rockabilly)

ps... we are going to start doing shows in the side room at peeps which will hold 250.

We could use a 500 cap venue or 1500 cap venue, but I wouldn't wanna open one right now.
This would have been right around 500 with a side bar area of around 75. So it would have fit well between VM/HOB and Peeples/VM. I don't really know if Des Moines could support a 1500. I always thought the ideal venue would be one that could be expanded from 500 to 1500. It would be a huge operation and I'm not sure how you would support it on a daily bases.

sams

Post by sams » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:33 pm

exactly.. i was gonna say that I definitely wouldn't be the owner of a 1500 cap, but a 500 would be a decent investment if you could have a show every night.

sams

Post by sams » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:35 pm

what I would really like is a diy venue like hb that had a stage and good production so I could do all my hardcore there. I pass on a lot of hardcore because I don't think it belongs in nice bars. i was always nervouse doing shows at botan or halls because i was always affraid they were gonna get shut down. something like the fall out shelter with a 200 cap would be sweeeeet.

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:36 pm

SUPERTOAD 2
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats" - H. L. Mencken

Bullet Tooth
One Man Wall of Death

Post by Bullet Tooth » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:47 pm

sams wrote:what I would really like is a diy venue like hb that had a stage and good production so I could do all my hardcore there. I pass on a lot of hardcore because I don't think it belongs in nice bars. i was always nervouse doing shows at botan or halls because i was always affraid they were gonna get shut down. something like the fall out shelter with a 200 cap would be sweeeeet.
doesnt the mews fit that pretty well? i mean, mews is a bar but its not a nice bar. just curious.

robdigi

Post by robdigi » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:41 am

the shape of the place is awful. way too narrow. the bar is too small for the capacity... it's practically impossible to get a drink sometimes if you don't know the bartenders. it has the best selection of music that Des Moines has ever had, but the layout just doesn't work very well.

double the width and extend or add another bar and it would be perfect.

I know it's all there is, but that doesn't mean it could be better.
All that's missin' is the retired band teacher with the self-inflicted gunshot wound!

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:52 pm

storkus wrote:
Cosmo wrote:Mews has it's drawbacks
God, will you guys get over the fact that they don't exclusively book shitty punk rock bands?

What exactly are the drawbacks? The building is perfect for sound. The stage isn't some giant monolith that makes everyone uncomfortable. The drinks are reasonably priced. The bartenders are innocuous if not cool. The location is ideal.

Whats your gripe? If you need to have some dark gross place with contrived skeletons painted on the walls in order to make you 'feel punk' when you go to a show, that's just sad.
OK I've seen some of the best "punk" shows of my life in places that didn't fit the show. For example, The Buzzcocks at this techno club. Though it kind of fit with the connection to Manchester and all.

The building doesn't have prefest sound. I've been to a few shows there that sounded like shit. The bathroom location sucks, the stage is too small, if there is over 20 people in there it takes forever to get to the bar or bathroom and balcony sucks. Maybe if the place was wider as mentioned before it would be different but unless you get there early and camp out a seat in the front you aren't going to see shit. Also the parking sucks.

Like I've said before no venue is prefect but VM was not set up for live shows and it does effect the experience of seeing shows there. As far as decore, I think to a degree it fits into the "What a punk club is suppost to look like" better then anywhere else. I mean they have one of the paintings from the old Hairy Mary's on the wall. The other thing is that I've never gotten the vibe that Mews is a place that you go just to hang out.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:21 am

I don't really care for the layout of the place, but I'll put up with it if there's a show I want to see.

Not a big fan of the location of their bathroom though.

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:35 am

robdigi wrote:the shape of the place is awful. way too narrow. the bar is too small for the capacity...
everytime i go there i feel like im in a trailer home.

i hate the balcony above the bar. it makes the place have 3 different sounds.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:56 pm

joseph wrote:
robdigi wrote:the shape of the place is awful. way too narrow. the bar is too small for the capacity...

The thing about the place is I don't think they could have it set up any other way. It's just too narrow. It would take a major remodling to change it around and it maybe worst after they did it.

The balconies only seem to work in Live venues if they wrap around the room like first Ave or Sokol. The one at the Whisky isn't bad but that whole set is a little strange with the corner stage.

The thing is that the only way to have a prefect venue would be to build the building. I don't think there is a venue out there under 1500 seats that wasn't built for some other uses and then adapted to becoem a venue.

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Post by Big Fat Retard » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:03 pm

The Mews is a decent place to see and play shows. I've always thought the sound was good. I don't worry about the waiting for the bartender thing too much. If it's busy I just order 2 or 3 beers at a time.
I poop on Petland!

joseph

Post by joseph » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:17 am

DaVo wrote:
joseph wrote:

The thing about the place is I don't think they could have it set up any other way. It's just too narrow. It would take a major remodling to change it around and it maybe worst after they did it.

The balconies only seem to work in Live venues if they wrap around the room like first Ave or Sokol. The one at the Whisky isn't bad but that whole set is a little strange with the corner stage.

The thing is that the only way to have a prefect venue would be to build the building. I don't think there is a venue out there under 1500 seats that wasn't built for some other uses and then adapted to becoem a venue.
i dont dislike the mews at all. just mentioning how its got 3 completely different soundscapes.

triple rock in mpls was designed and built to be a live venue and i dont like its layout or sound either. my favorite spots will always be basements.
http://www.triplerocksocialclub.com/