More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

Nick

Anybody now about HVAC units?

Post by Nick » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:02 pm

More specifically, what is the cause of ice build up on the cooling coils/evaporator coils that pretty much causes my central air stop blowing out any cold air until I shut it off completely and the ice melts away. I have been having to do this (shut it off/defrost the unit) about 5 times in the last week and a half or so. It will work fine for a day or so and then it just starts getting warmer and I go check and it if frozen up. The unit is still running and the fan is blowing, but the air won't be cold when it freezes up. If I look at the outside unit, there is always ice built up around the freon line too. I want to get it fixed, but I know HVAC work is a goddamn ripoff and if it is something I can easily fix myself, I'd like to try that route first, obviously.

These are pictures I found online that are similar to the problem (icing up) I am experiencing. Thanks in advance for an info or advice.

JoePreppy
Go Go Gadget Shoe Phone

Re: Anybody now about HVAC units?

Post by JoePreppy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:49 pm

Means you're really Low on refridgerant (freon) Get any bullshit hvac shop to charge it and hopefully find the leak. Also rinse off your 'fins' w/ a garden hose but try not to bend them...Your hvac dude should have a 'comb' for that.

Their work is a rip-off like any other work is a rip-off.... trade businesses need to make money just like any other business....

Nick

Post by Nick » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:18 pm

Hmmm....I was wondering about it being low freon, but the unit is less than 5 years old and I wouldn't think it would be low already? I change the filters regularly, so that isn't the issue? I guess there could be a leak in the line somewhere, but I have never had issues with it in the past freezing up like this?

Anyway, if you think getting it recharged would be a fix, I might do that. How much is it to fix a leak? I would think even tracking down and finding the source of the leak would be expensive (like hundred of dollars).

Also, thanks for the info. I at least have a starting point I guess?

Thom

Post by Thom » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:39 pm

Hey, do you live in the "sawgrass" town home devlopment. I work in a house there, and I swear I saw a guy that looked just like you. And if it was you, don't stare at me from down the road for minutes next time. come say hi.

Nick

Post by Nick » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:07 pm

Thom wrote:Hey, do you live in the "sawgrass" town home devlopment. I work in a house there, and I swear I saw a guy that looked just like you. And if it was you, don't stare at me from down the road for minutes next time. come say hi.
Haha...yes. That is where I live actually. Do you work for the lawn care company? I thought I saw someone that looked familiar, but had no clue where I had seen them before. If that isn't you...then what are you working on there and was when was I staring at you? Hah.

Thom

Post by Thom » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:03 pm

I work in a group home across the street from where those sunshine coaches are always parked in that driveway. It looks just like a normal house, you would never have any idea people work in there.

I was outside in the middle of the road smoking. and you didn't really stare, but we made eye contact from down the street.

I thought maybe you would flash your badge and arrest me.

Nick

Post by Nick » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:52 pm

Thom wrote:I work in a group home across the street from where those sunshine coaches are always parked in that driveway. It looks just like a normal house, you would never have any idea people work in there.

I was outside in the middle of the road smoking. and you didn't really stare, but we made eye contact from down the street.

Hmmm...I am trying to visualize the house with the sunshine coahes in it, but I am not recalling those? Is it actually in the townhome development? Do you work there every day? I get home around 4:10 most day. I am gonna go outside for a smoke right now and look for you. I'll flash my badge if I see you.

JoePreppy
Go Go Gadget Shoe Phone

Post by JoePreppy » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:01 pm

Nick wrote:Hmmm....I was wondering about it being low freon, but the unit is less than 5 years old and I wouldn't think it would be low already?
It's a closed system just like a car's a/c system...the unit doesn't 'use' the freon it just recirculates it. So it being low would ONLY mean there is a small leak somewhere....they can put a dye in it that shows up under black light. But even if they don't find it, they can charge it and it will last quite a while, maybe put a "stop leak" in w/ the freon.
So if you're ever buying a car and the person selling claims "yeah the air works it just needs charged" they're right, but there is also a leak in the line.

Thom

Post by Thom » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:29 pm

Nick wrote:
Thom wrote:I work in a group home across the street from where those sunshine coaches are always parked in that driveway. It looks just like a normal house, you would never have any idea people work in there.

Hmmm...I am trying to visualize the house with the sunshine coahes in it, but I am not recalling those? Is it actually in the townhome development? Do you work there every day? I get home around 4:10 most day. I am gonna go outside for a smoke right now and look for you. I'll flash my badge if I see you.
I work a lot. It's in the development. I'm across the street from the sunshine coaches. I don't fucking know man, just let me come over, get drunk and listen to records after work. Then when you pass out I'm going to steal your badge and gun.

Nick

Post by Nick » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:15 pm

Thom...did I see you at Kum & Go in Ankeny tonight? Were you wearing a lime green t-shirt? I am pretty sure it was you and we definitely made eye contact. You should have said Hi. You and servo should most definitely go to the show in St. Paul tomorrow night. It will be a blast.

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:23 pm

That was me dawg.

-Joe.

Nam

Post by Nam » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:35 am

low on freon is my guess without doing other tests but it costs a shit ton to find a leak, recover, evac, and fill. id do it for ya but i dont have a recovery unit or a pump. call bell bros
blah

Nick

Post by Nick » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:57 am

Nam wrote:low on freon is my guess without doing other tests but it costs a shit ton to find a leak, recover, evac, and fill. id do it for ya but i dont have a recovery unit or a pump. call bell bros
My buddy works for Holt and he came out and recharged it for me. Said is should be alright for another few years, as it had only lost slightly over a pound in the five years since it's been installed, therefore the leak is probably slow/not significant. I know that isn't a "fix", but I hope to have the place sold in a few years anyway.

And yeah...he said if his company was to come out and find the leak, that alone would cost $900 + the cost to fix the leak and recharge the freon. Shit is ridiculous.

Nick

Post by Nick » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:02 am

Joe wrote:That was me dawg.

-Joe.
Lies!

Thom

Post by Thom » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:45 pm

Yeah that was me.

I didn't even realize it was you, otherwise I would have said hello.

work has been pretty crazy lately and I have been fried whenever I make my dinner run to kum and go.