More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Obama Sucks At Gift Giving

Post by El Rhino » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:47 pm

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/toby_harnd ... ur_majesty

Dude gives the Queen of England an iPod. A fucking iPod.

A couple weeks ago he gave the PM of the UK 25 dvds of classic American films (that would not work on European dvd players, btw). I forgot exactly what Brown gave to Obama, but it was something kind of cool with significant cultural/historical value fitting of an exchange between high level diplomats.

I wonder if he put all of his favorite "def jams" on it for her?

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Re: Obama Sucks At Gift Giving

Post by servo » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:55 pm

while i normally pass on comedy based on racial stereotyping, the idea of obama enjoying def jams has me in stitches

wait, i love comedy based on racial stereotypings. n/m
Tu vir nunc es, canis

tylerjames515

Post by tylerjames515 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:08 pm

It looks like she made off better here, he got a signed picture frame of her.
DO NOT WANT.
Rooster wrote:cant worship the devil unless you are 21 now

kristy

Post by kristy » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:40 pm

Last edited by kristy on Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:41 pm

tylerjames515 wrote:It looks like she made off better here, he got a signed picture frame of her.
DO NOT WANT.
Right. An iPod would be more useful but in the world of diplomatic pleasantries between nations that are supposed to be very tight it's a very tacky gift to give to their Queen. It might be an appropriate gift for the HMFIC of Clickety-Clackety, Africa or some shit like that but not in this case. Especially after Obama has given them the cold shoulder with the Churchill bust and the anti-British sentiments in his book. Anglophiles of the US are pissed.

Honestly, I wasn't too worried about Obama as president. We certainly don't see eye to eye on everything but I think he had some worthwhile ideas in his campaign speeches and I liked him better than McCain. I know it's only been a couple months, but so far this guy is a fucking train wreck.

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:10 pm

I like to think that Obama had some of his staffers pre-load that baby with some major tunage.

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:13 pm

Do Zone 1 iPods work in Zone 2?

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:23 am

obama just approved a ton of funding for national service programs, which i'm way into. other than that i haven't been wowed by him. not that i even follow politics or anything.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:31 am

inx515xhell wrote:obama just approved a ton of funding for national service programs, which i'm way into. other than that i haven't been wowed by him. not that i even follow politics or anything.

Yeah, I thought about you when I heard them mention the national service thing. I'm not opposed to the idea but some of the things I read make it sound like his proposal for national service included a lot of left wing indoctrination type stuff. Could just be hysteria but I wouldn't doubt it.

tylerjames515

Post by tylerjames515 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:43 am

Hank Fist wrote:I like to think that Obama had some of his staffers pre-load that baby with some major tunage.
I would like to see Obama 'crank dat superman.'
Rooster wrote:cant worship the devil unless you are 21 now

Furious D

Post by Furious D » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:31 am

Why hasn't this thread changed to everyone talking about obama throwing a snowball at a cat? Because that is the real issue here.
....just kidding.

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:44 am

if the picture of the cat looked like elliot missing the foul ball, then we'd have a thread on fire.

Tampa Josh
Keepin it Real, Hatin Herb

Post by Tampa Josh » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:04 pm

El Rhino wrote: I forgot exactly what Brown gave to Obama, but it was something kind of cool with significant cultural/historical value fitting of an exchange between high level diplomats.
Some kind of desk organizing tool (pen holder or something) carved from the wood of a British ship that interdicted illegal slave trading ships, and was the sister ship to the ship that the Oval Office desk was carved from, and some very nice clothes hand tailored for the Obama Kid(s) by some famous British designer.

Obama gave 'em Region 1 Star Wars DVDs and some Marine 1 Helicopter model that is for sale in the White House gift shop.

I'm sure it was some stupid staff member that made the gift decision but still, can't you realize that is a fucking bad idea, this was the same day Hillary gave the Russians the symbolic gift with the word in Russian spelled incorrectly. As if there was nobody that could speak Russian and tell that it was wrong?
Thom wrote: At least assholes like tampa josh know they hate people.