More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

My Favorite Desserts In This Town

Post by El Rhino » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:27 pm

- Tiramisu at Tumea's. I think tiramisu is my all time favorite dessert and it happens to be best here.

- Spumoni, Spaghetti Works. Spaghetti works is only good for the salad bar, the bread and the .99 cent spumoni, which is the best dessert deal in town. Their pasta, especially red sauces really suck.

- Fried bananas with green tea ice cream at Thai Flavors. Shit's good. At 4.99 it's a good deal too. Fried bananas are good, but the green tea ice cream is what really does it.

- Pastel de Tres Leches at Fiesta Cancun. That's "cake of the three milks" for those of you who don't speak Spanish. A moist vanilla cake (milk, condensed milk and sweetened milk) with whipped cream and chocolate. This shit is amazing, I could eat it all day. Going to try to make it someday.

-Profiteroles at Bistro Montage. Really good but very expensive. Beats creme brulee.

- Cake shake at Drake Diner. A square of chocolate cake and vanilla ice cream turned into a milkshake. Amazing.

baron.von.wasteland

Re: My Favorite Desserts In This Town

Post by baron.von.wasteland » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:02 pm

Does dessert technically have to be sweet?

I like tacos and tamales from the taco truck on 14th and maury st.
eatin witches...elbowin bitches

vegan ss

Post by vegan ss » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:14 pm

Gelato at stam. Which was only cool when Megan worked there cause it free and she knew what I could have and couldn't.
When I think of all the harm the Bible has done, I despair of ever writing anything to equal it- Oscar Wilde

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:18 pm

creme brulee-Cosi Cocina

I love this stuff, can't eat too much at a time though.

i'm kind of cheap or just don't save room for dessert most of the time.
i'm also excited to see how many people eat "desert".

kristy

Post by kristy » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:21 pm

Dude, the fried bananas at the Spice in Ames are sooooo good. So are the desserts at the art center cafe. And I just made the tastiest chocolate chip cookies yet.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:47 pm

The cannoli at Noah's. I don't know if it is as much the taste and the fact that they make them on site or something from my childhood but I crave them non-stop.
I paid my dues but I lost my Receipt.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:15 am

baron.von.wasteland wrote:Does dessert technically have to be sweet?

I like tacos and tamales from the taco truck on 14th and maury st.
I don't know if it has to be sweet, but I can assure you that neither tacos nor tamales have anything to do with this list of my favorite desserts in the Des Moines area. There's a thread somewhere around here with Johnny Reeferseed taking a stand for the rights of taco wagoneers in the Des Moines area, you should bump that thread for that sort of discussion. PS, watch out for tuberculosis.
kristy wrote:Dude, the fried bananas at the Spice in Ames are sooooo good. So are the desserts at the art center cafe. And I just made the tastiest chocolate chip cookies yet.
I really like the art center cafe, it's probably one of the best restaurant deals in town. Never tried the desserts though, will have to do that next time I'm there. Maybe next time it's nice enough to sit outside out and I don't have anything to do during the day.
DaVo wrote:The cannoli at Noah's. I don't know if it is as much the taste and the fact that they make them on site or something from my childhood but I crave them non-stop.
Davo craves the cannoli. Ha ha.

jayvee

Post by jayvee » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:46 am

mango and sticky rice at thai flavors

Crumpty Williams
Spatula Spam

Post by Crumpty Williams » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:23 pm

Not around anymore, but oatmeal pie from Mondo's (with cinnamon ice cream, of course) was amazing. Probably my favorite dessert of all time. I used to work in the bakery and would purposely mess up an oatmeal pie order pretty much every night so I could scarf that deliciousness up.

Good thread, btw.
i fucking rule.

laffeyn

Post by laffeyn » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:34 pm

Choco Taco.

Furious D

Post by Furious D » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:35 pm

El Rhino wrote:
kristy wrote:Dude, the fried bananas at the Spice in Ames are sooooo good. So are the desserts at the art center cafe. And I just made the tastiest chocolate chip cookies yet.
I really like the art center cafe, it's probably one of the best restaurant deals in town. Never tried the desserts though, will have to do that next time I'm there. Maybe next time it's nice enough to sit outside out and I don't have anything to do during the day.

Agreed. Love this place. New menu every week, and I have never had anything that I didn't like there. The desserts are WAY killer too, and I do enjoy sitting outside.
....just kidding.