More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

kristy

Hostels

Post by kristy » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:49 pm

Have any of you guys stayed in hostels in Europe? Specifically Dublin or Rome? Do tell. Thanxxxxxx.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Re: Hostels

Post by El Rhino » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:32 am

No, I always figured hostels were full of asshole European travelers and wealthy idealistic asshole American college kids. Even though I would be out traveling myself, the thought of hanging around other people close to my age traveling doesn't appeal to me.

Many places in Europe have decent cheap hotels and bed and breakfasts. Sometimes you can find a no-frills (or low-frills) hotel for not much more than what you would pay for a hostel. The privacy and quiet is worth the extra money to me. When I went to London a couple months ago I was fortunate to find a decent b&b a block away from St. Pancras/King's Cross tube station and good English breakfast for the same price most hostels were going for at that time. I've never been to Dublin or Rome though - but Italy is on my list of places to possibly visit next fall (along with Wales, Spain, Germany, Iceland/Norway or a whirlwind of Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires and Montevideo)

Tampa Josh
Keepin it Real, Hatin Herb

Post by Tampa Josh » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:41 am

I'm staying in a 4 star hotel, in a suite, in Saint-Petersburg, Russia for like 80 bucks a night.
Thom wrote: At least assholes like tampa josh know they hate people.

kylervk

Post by kylervk » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:44 am

pack a sleeping bag

sleep in public bathrooms, train stations, on trains, in boats... librarys are good

you can shower, fill a water bottle, and brush your teeth in sinks

restroom stalls also allow you the privacy to masterbate

then theres the free internet so you dont lose your mind in denmark

im guessing that wasnt helpful

check this out, my friend has been using it and loves it

http://www.hostelworld.com

robdigi

Post by robdigi » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:06 am

kylervk wrote:
pack a sleeping bag

sleep in public bathrooms, train stations, on trains, in boats... librarys are good

you can shower, fill a water bottle, and brush your teeth in sinks

restroom stalls also allow you the privacy to masterbate
that sounds like an adventure and all, but I wager most people don't take vacations so they can live like a homeless person.
All that's missin' is the retired band teacher with the self-inflicted gunshot wound!

kristy

Post by kristy » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:55 am

Haha, thanks Kyler. That was kind of helpful.

I really only need somewhere to stay for 26 hours. I suppose I could just stay awake that whole time but then I might lose my mind. Or sleep in a library.

moltar

Post by moltar » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:18 am

robdigi wrote:that sounds like an adventure and all, but I wager most people don't take vacations so they can live like a homeless person.
A lot of people in 515 are an exception to this rule or at least would like you to think they are...

robdigi

Post by robdigi » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:23 am

putting unnecessary hardship on yourself and denying your privileged lifestyle = hella credz
All that's missin' is the retired band teacher with the self-inflicted gunshot wound!

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:27 pm

robdigi wrote:putting unnecessary hardship on yourself and denying your privileged lifestyle = THE CLASH
fixed

Joey Chaos
Destroy!

Post by Joey Chaos » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:06 pm

I stayed in one in NYC for about half a night. I left at like 2:45 am and slept in a park the rest of the night. Tell you anything?

Potter

Post by Potter » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:34 pm

Don't do it! You'll get KILLT. Trust me, I seen this documentary called 'Hostel'. I hear there's a part 2 but I think I know enough already, thakn you very much.

Potter

Post by Potter » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:40 pm

But for real, good luck and have fun. I stayed in a Hostel out in Seattle for 2 nights (I think, it was pretty hazy). 26 bucks a night or something? I actually think it was cheaper. I biggest recommendation is packing a battery operated fan that can latch onto your bedpost and EARPLUGS! For sure, do not forget ear plugs. Whiskey drowns out snoring almost as well as ear plugs but if I remember correctly you do not drink. . anyways

Hostels really aren't that bad. A lot of the cleaning crew is working for there rooms so you usually don't have to worry about it being too filthy. Its usually comprised of backpacking students with some sort of ethics. Sometimes you can find places with free continental breakfast (which is still don't know what that means exactly) in the morning (also prepared by volunteer staff). So yea, you'll do fine.

P.s. Never been to europe so I guess this is totally irrelevant.

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:53 pm

moltar wrote:
robdigi wrote:that sounds like an adventure and all, but I wager most people don't take vacations so they can live like a homeless person.
A lot of people in 515 are an exception to this rule or at least would like you to think they are...
i can count 6 maybe 7 at the most....

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:01 pm

. Its usually comprised of backpacking students with some sort of ethics.
You're going to be surrounded by asshole college students.
free continental breakfast (which is still don't know what that means exactly)
"Continental" means continental Europe. A typical breakfast in continental Europe includes pastries, breads, coffee, fruit, cottage cheese, juice, milk, etc. Basically it means a cold breakfast. You'll also see "English" which generally means eggs, toast, tea, baked beans, bacon, sausage, fried tomatoes/potatoes, etc. Basically "Continental" contrasts "English".

There's also "American", which means bacon, eggs, sausage, pancakes and well, you've lived in the Americas long enough to know what typical breakfast foods are.

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:39 am

plus, this might happen:

kristy

Post by kristy » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:32 am

I don't doubt I'll be surround by douchebags. Maybe I'll pack some tylenol pm.

And fuck you guys, i hated that movie hostel. i don't give up on my movies out of disgust/annoyance but that definitely happened when i watched hostel.

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:38 pm

never seen them.