More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

DaVo

need a local Ska band for a show

Post by DaVo » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:29 pm

I've got the Bishops from Omaha playing on April 11th for my birthday show. I noticed that DWS is still playing out from time to time. Anyone have the contact information for them?
I paid my dues but I lost my Receipt.

TooManyHumyns

Re: need a local Ska band for a show

Post by TooManyHumyns » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:27 pm

get Sea)))hag to play

moltar

Post by moltar » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:33 am

SkaImagehag

tylerjames515

Post by tylerjames515 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:36 am

Let Hepatitis X do it.
Rooster wrote:cant worship the devil unless you are 21 now

jonnyROCKET

Post by jonnyROCKET » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:59 am

Hep Hep-atitis X

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:01 pm

Atombender

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:19 pm

Music, links and contact?

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:04 pm

joe and moltar both know the sea)))hag doods, so get at them for contact info...

Walking Thunder

Post by Walking Thunder » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:07 pm

tylerjames515 wrote:Let Hepatitis X just do it!
-John
Doomed to endure and prevail.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:44 pm

I'm wanting more in the Two-Tone/Rock Steady side of Ska, So I want to hear them first.

If you haven't heard them the Bishops are at http://thebishopsofska.com/ and http://www.myspace.com/thebishopsomaha. I'm not sure if many of you were around the last time they played here. They played a few of the Safari Sunday Ska Matinees back in the late 90s.

crow

Post by crow » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:53 pm

is derek still in slaughterhouse6?
"boobiez and buttz"
- u-god of the wu tang clan

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:09 pm

i don't know if sea)))hag has anything recorded yet...but i think they would be considered 'two tone'/rock steady...like i said contact joe or moltar....they are a skankin' good time, thats for sure

jjjsXe

Post by jjjsXe » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:35 pm

DaVo wrote:I'm wanting more in the Two-Tone/Rock Steady side of Ska, So I want to hear them first.

If you haven't heard them the Bishops are at http://thebishopsofska.com/ and http://www.myspace.com/thebishopsomaha. I'm not sure if many of you were around the last time they played here. They played a few of the Safari Sunday Ska Matinees back in the late 90s.

You do realize this is Des Moines Iowa in 2009 right? And you want 2 tone ska? K, just making sure I heard your requests clear.
abortions for some, miniature american flags for others

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:07 pm

jjjsXe wrote:
DaVo wrote:I'm wanting more in the Two-Tone/Rock Steady side of Ska, So I want to hear them first.

You do realize this is Des Moines Iowa in 2009 right? And you want 2 tone ska? K, just making sure I heard your requests clear.
Sorry about bringing this thread back to life but I've been busy the last week or so.

Yeah I understand that all and I have to say it has been sometime since I saw a Ska band from Des Moines that really seemed like they needed a second listen. To be completely honest, now that I think of it, I don't think there really ever has been. Keep in mind that I haven't seen every ska band over the past 20 years or so that have been around.

Bringing up the Two Tone/Rock Steady reference was more about making it clear that I'm not looking for a Ska-Core band, Rock with horns or another Sublime wantabe.

That all said anyone seen Public Property?

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:37 pm

DaVo wrote: That all said anyone seen Public Property?
I still say that if you have to get something of that genre or close to it, I'd go with these guys. Plus they actually draw people. They're a little crunchy, but a good band. I think they might need a decent guarantee but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:24 pm

El Rhino wrote:
I still say that if you have to get something of that genre or close to it, I'd go with these guys. Plus they actually draw people. They're a little crunchy, but a good band. I think they might need a decent guarantee but it wouldn't hurt to ask.
Already on them and the Prizefighters from Minneapolis. I have to say though it's getting to the point, where I'm about to just mix it up with a few punk bands opening. I had this dream a couple of nights ago that one of the openers was this Oi! cover band that did a prefect covers of 'Hate Edge', 'One Law for Them', 'Clockwork Skinhead', 'Angels with Dirty Faces' and the 'Sunday Stripper'. Got me thinking...

Nam

Post by Nam » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:33 pm

DaVo wrote:
El Rhino wrote:
Already on them and the Prizefighters from Minneapolis. I have to say though it's getting to the point, where I'm about to just mix it up with a few punk bands opening. I had this dream a couple of nights ago that one of the openers was this Oi! cover band that did a prefect covers of 'Hate Edge', 'One Law for Them', 'Clockwork Skinhead', 'Angels with Dirty Faces' and the 'Sunday Stripper'. Got me thinking...
skinhead coverband? ...you may wanna check with the oppressed
blah

weirdtaylor

Post by weirdtaylor » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:57 am

this sounds like an exciting show keep us posted!
If I eat meat, and count sheep to sleep, will the sheep come to eat when I sleep?

lilryan69
Mosh

Post by lilryan69 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:43 pm

Anyone but slaughterhouse sux please
Try breathin' underwater

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:21 am

Nam wrote: skinhead coverband? ...you may wanna check with the oppressed

Pretty much or taking songs and giving them ridiculous anti-racist lyrics

"Substitute, that's a fact
I see right through your Union Jack
See right through the hate you cry
substitute, that's no lie"

or somehow "Borstal Breakout" becomes "Nazi Nightmare"?

I'll admit I like The Oppressed but man, they're a goofy band. Their delivery is terrible.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:04 am

El Rhino wrote:

I'll admit I like The Oppressed but man, they're a goofy band. Their delivery is terrible.
OK I'm a bit confused are we talking about the 80s oi! band from Scotland or some local band?

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:51 am

None of the above. An 80's Oi! band from Wales.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:57 am

El Rhino wrote:None of the above. An 80's Oi! band from Wales.
You're right wales. I couldn't remember if it was Scotland or Wales. I just remembered that it wasn't England.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:08 pm

Going to party like it's 1996, stoked to see The Bishops if only for nostalgia's sake.

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:10 pm

Is Sea Hag playing this?

-Joe.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:38 pm

Joe wrote:Is Sea Hag playing this?

-Joe.
Do you have contact information? I PM you and moltar and got no reply. I know that the Bishops had maybe found someone to open but haven't heard. If they want to play it contact me 515-991-8180

Nam

Post by Nam » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:10 pm

El Rhino wrote:

i gotta say i always skip though the covers they remake. they make me cringe. the strait covers are not bad at all though.
blah

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:26 am

Fortunately there wasn't an opening band at this show and The Bishops did two, actually three sets.

One was their original material with one cover. For those of you who remember them, they sounded much better than they did way back when. I think part of that has to do with having the lead singer who used to play guitar go to trombone and a new guitar player. If I remember right, he used to play a lot of choppy open chords instead of bar which seemed a little weird. They seemed to have a better stage presence than they used to as well. Their catalog isn't that big so I think they played all of their songs plus a Desmond Dekker cover.

Their next set was a bunch of sweet covers. All good, familiar songs. A few Toots&The Maytals tracks, "007", "Rudy A Message To You", "Shame and Scandal", "Man In The Street" and a couple others. I guess their third set was going to be them fucking around but I left before that.

Back when they first started playing around here there weren't too many people who were into them and I understood why - they kind of had a niche market and a dry delivery playing to people used to Operation Ivy and Skankin' Pickle. Tonight they went over a lot better than I expected them to and I think pretty much anyone remotely into ska/reggae would be into seeing them these days. I think they enjoyed playing here tonight and said they wanted to come back. So yeah, go see them when they come back around. Experience the "Spirit of '97".

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:06 pm

El Rhino wrote:Fortunately there wasn't an opening band at this show and The Bishops did two, actually three sets.

One was their original material with one cover. For those of you who remember them, they sounded much better than they did way back when. I think part of that has to do with having the lead singer who used to play guitar go to trombone and a new guitar player. If I remember right, he used to play a lot of choppy open chords instead of bar which seemed a little weird. They seemed to have a better stage presence than they used to as well. Their catalog isn't that big so I think they played all of their songs plus a Desmond Dekker cover.

Their next set was a bunch of sweet covers. All good, familiar songs. A few Toots&The Maytals tracks, "007", "Rudy A Message To You", "Shame and Scandal", "Man In The Street" and a couple others. I guess their third set was going to be them fucking around but I left before that.

Back when they first started playing around here there weren't too many people who were into them and I understood why - they kind of had a niche market and a dry delivery playing to people used to Operation Ivy and Skankin' Pickle. Tonight they went over a lot better than I expected them to and I think pretty much anyone remotely into ska/reggae would be into seeing them these days. I think they enjoyed playing here tonight and said they wanted to come back. So yeah, go see them when they come back around. Experience the "Spirit of '97".

They said that they are planning on coming back in June and making Des Moines a regular stop. Thanks to everyone that came out. I had a blast and I hope you all did too.

jjjsXe

Post by jjjsXe » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:57 pm

I really wanted to come out, but i was feeling so shitty. i even slept through my own birthday party. good thing we might be playing with them when they come back! Mark, we should try to get the new band ready for this shit!
abortions for some, miniature american flags for others