More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Pancake Day Tomorrow!

Post by El Rhino » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:20 am

So tomorrow is pancake day. Shrove Tuesday. Free pancakes at IHOP from 7-10am. I'm undecided if I'm going to celebrate pancakes and Western Christian traditions by going to IHOP or making blueberry buckwheat pancakes at home.

ilikehorses
Fun\Death Dealer

Re: Pancake Day Tomorrow!

Post by ilikehorses » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:30 am

goddamn school getting in the way of me eating free pancakes.
Even today, I can't see a car run a red light without instantly having an image flash into my head of a man's erect penis, penetrating a watermelon.

UGH I SUCK

Thom

Post by Thom » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:48 am

wait, whats the vegan content of said pancakes?

I guess there isn't really any way I'm going to wake up that early.

fuck it.

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:06 am

Not even vegan, so don't worry.

-Joe.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:45 am

Thom wrote: Hey guys, I'm vegan!

If you have to ask whether or not IHOP pancakes are vegan, I imagine you're probably not doing so hot in the avoiding animal products department.

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:53 am

free pancakes always win!!!

Thom

Post by Thom » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:02 pm

actually if I don't know I avoid.

OOOPS sorry for asking. Not trying to start a flame war. I really could care less about how anyone feels about veganism, so lets just avoid the inevitable conversation.

Hey guys, I'm vegan!

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:30 pm

Thom wrote:actually if I don't know I avoid.

OOOPS sorry for asking. Not trying to start a flame war. I really could care less about how anyone feels about veganism, so lets just avoid the inevitable conversation.

Hey guys, I'm vegan!

Well just to help you out pancakes are not vegan unless you make them with an egg substitute like flax, potato starch or whatever - which the International House of Pancakes would definitely not do.

No one said anything pro or con about veganism, so don't throw a hissy fit.

Thom

Post by Thom » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:10 pm

sir I would like to take this time to apologize for my erratic typing to be conceived as a hissy fit.

I have long sought your council on the clickerweb for matters of grave importance to myself and I thank you for this bit of wisdom imparted upon me. (see Blur vs. Oasis)

The reason I asked if they had vegan pancakes is that ed stated he wishes he could go and I was under the impression he was vegan.

ilikehorses
Fun\Death Dealer

Post by ilikehorses » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:39 pm

to fight IHOP, we can hold a vegan pancake party at my place. but not when i'm in class.
Even today, I can't see a car run a red light without instantly having an image flash into my head of a man's erect penis, penetrating a watermelon.

UGH I SUCK

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:48 pm

dudes bisquick (and for that matter making them from scratch) ain't that hard. just use banana or applesauce or both as an egg substitute.
clean your fucking kitchen once a month and you might find yourself more motivated to cook.
no sympathy for lazy vegans.

Beaver

Post by Beaver » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:20 pm

"Shrove Tuesday" - Im not familiar w/ this term. What does it mean? Ive only ever heard of "fat" tuesday.

I eat lots of beast flesh.
Last edited by Beaver on Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:20 pm

inx515xhell wrote:dudes bisquick (and for that matter making them from scratch) ain't that hard. just use banana or applesauce or both as an egg substitute.
clean your fucking kitchen once a month and you might find yourself more motivated to cook.
what are you talking about? i thought vegans were people that eat only dumpster bagels, and the occasional apple or soy product and thats it? who needs a clean kitchen for that?

maybe im lost...

pancakes from scratch is definately not that hard....everytime i make pancakes its a big hit or miss situation...i went....i ended up spending money on breakfast potatos, orange juice and coffee..the pancakes were way good....
cooking rules, i find i cook vegan more often than not just by default...some good stuff out there...

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:30 pm

TooManyHumyns wrote:
inx515xhell wrote:dudes bisquick (and for that matter making them from scratch) ain't that hard. just use banana or applesauce or both as an egg substitute.
what are you talking about? i thought vegans were people that eat only dumpster bagels, and the occasional apple or soy product and thats it? who needs a clean kitchen for that?

maybe im lost...

pancakes from scratch is definately not that hard....everytime i make pancakes its a big hit or miss situation...i went....i ended up spending money on breakfast potatos, orange juice and coffee..the pancakes were way good....
cooking rules, i find i cook vegan more often than not just by default...some good stuff out there...
the dumpster treated me so well last night. 3 avocados, a mango, bananas, grapes, strawberries, cucumbers, peppers, potatoes, a bunch of apples, an onion, and 2 cloves of garlic. ended up making strawberry sugar cookies and amazing guacamole last night and some totally crucial hash browns this morning. the cookies kinda taste muffinlike so i'm just going to call them muffin tops.
i've been baking my own bread and trying to steer away from soy products. you know how to make seitan? i'd love a recipe. heraldo rattled one off to me at a show a few months back but i was housed and there was no way i was gonna remember it.

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:39 pm

I've been making all our bread for the last 4 months or so, about 4 medium loaves a week plus tortillas or pitas or whatever else we need for a particular meal. we eat lots of bread, i guess. I like being able to throw in any grains or nuts i want. Plus kneading double batches of dough for 15 minutes makes my muscles huge. fucking pitas fresh out of the oven are incomparable with anything. we made falafal on Sunday and it was really good.
{edit} breadmakers are for pussies.

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:42 pm

haha that's fucking rad! i haven't tried pitas or tortillas yet, it took me a while to figure out the elevation thing out here. i have been making fry bread though. shit's insanely good with b&g style gravy.
peniskneader.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:50 pm

Thom wrote: The reason I asked if they had vegan pancakes is that ed stated he wishes he could go and I was under the impression he was vegan.

Oh, I see. I thought you were asking for your own benefit about something you probably already knew and were basically announcing "Hey guys, I'm vegan!" Sorry for the misunderstanding, makes sense now.
inx515xhell wrote:dudes bisquick (and for that matter making them from scratch) ain't that hard.
Hodgson Mill also makes a good whole grain buckwheat mix. Highly recommended.
Beaver wrote:"Shrove Tuesday" - Im not familiar w/ this term. What does it mean? Ive only ever heard of "fat" tuesday.
Shrove Tuesday is essentially the same thing as Fat Tuesday in the English speaking world. Basically a day of feasting before lent starts. Pancakes and donuts were traditionally made to get rid of all the rich products (milk, eggs, butter, sugar) that one would have in their kitchen before lent started. The Polish folks celebrate a similar holiday on Thursday where they eat jelly donuts. "Packsi" or something like that, they call them.
Hank Fist wrote:. Plus kneading double batches of dough for 15 minutes makes my muscles huge. /quote]

Truth, the dude is swoll.

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:51 pm

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/recipes/pitabread
Just gotta wait it out until these things expand like a balloon in the oven, and they'll be perfect.

i've always wondered how much elevation messes with cooking.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:54 pm

Oh, I decided to make blueberry buckwheat pancakes and avoid the unwashed masses at IHOP. Since it's so nice out I wish I would've taken my patio table out and back on my deck. Eating breakfast outside rules....especially in February.

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:18 pm

El Rhino wrote:Oh, I decided to make blueberry buckwheat pancakes and avoid the unwashed masses at IHOP. Since it's so nice out I wish I would've taken my patio table out and back on my deck. Eating breakfast outside rules....especially in February.
no shit, it's getting stuffy. Can't wait for the days in between this frigid wind and the bugs.
I'm pretty big into chocolate chip pancakes with peanut butter on top plus syrup.

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:52 pm

El Rhino wrote:
inx515xhell wrote:dudes bisquick (and for that matter making them from scratch) ain't that hard.
Hodgson Mill also makes a good whole grain buckwheat mix. Highly recommended.
had this shit in my hand the other day but just went for flour instead. will try it next time.

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:53 pm

inx515xhell wrote: the dumpster treated me so well last night. 3 avocados, a mango, bananas, grapes, strawberries, cucumbers, peppers, potatoes, a bunch of apples, an onion, and 2 cloves of garlic. ended up making strawberry sugar cookies and amazing guacamole last night and some totally crucial hash browns this morning. the cookies kinda taste muffinlike so i'm just going to call them muffin tops.
i've been baking my own bread and trying to steer away from soy products. you know how to make seitan? i'd love a recipe. heraldo rattled one off to me at a show a few months back but i was housed and there was no way i was gonna remember it.
damn, dumpstering is a good idea, its been so long...lazy winter....i think dustin has a recipe for seitan, i'll try and get it from him and hook it up...
right on with making bread, we've been making banana bread fairly often...shit is killer, so is beer bread...have yet to try tortillas, though we are talking about it...we are also going to take a stab at making noodles...im super stoked

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:20 pm

PANCAKES!