More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

Bullet Tooth
One Man Wall of Death

ipod help

Post by Bullet Tooth » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:42 pm

i just bought a 8gb ipod nano. i connected it to my computer for the first time and brought up my windows media player. it wont let me sync the music i have in that library to my ipod. everwhere else but the player says it recognizes my ipod but it says no device connected in the player. is there something im doing wrong? i need help figuring out why i cant get music onto my ipod. i had a cheap phillips mp3 player prior to this, like 3 weeks ago.

Walking Thunder

Re: ipod help

Post by Walking Thunder » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:46 pm

Don't use have to use iTunes to get music onto iPods? I always thought so.
-John
Doomed to endure and prevail.

DARKBASS

Post by DARKBASS » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:46 pm

http://www.jakeludington.com/ask_jake/2 ... layer.html

(there is something you can get at most major stores that sell music that does the same thing, and it may be cheaper) Best Buy or FYE would know what it's called I am sure.)

I think that is your problem?

if not I know there are other ways around it and someone on here should be be able to help, I just have never used windows media player.
Last edited by DARKBASS on Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MARK'O'WAR

vegan ss

Post by vegan ss » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:47 pm

Yeah ipod only works with itunes.
When I think of all the harm the Bible has done, I despair of ever writing anything to equal it- Oscar Wilde

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:50 pm

trashcan

DARKBASS

Post by DARKBASS » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:50 pm

technically it only works with I Tunes, but that would blow, I know there are ways around it.
MARK'O'WAR

Bullet Tooth
One Man Wall of Death

Post by Bullet Tooth » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:52 pm

i wish i had known that before i bought it. i have a crapload of music on my computer and i dont want to download it all again. i really dont want to pay for even more stuff to take my windows player stuff to the ipod. anyone know of any free software that does that?

vegan ss

Post by vegan ss » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:56 pm

Well if you cant get around not using itunes im pretty sure you can transfer the stuff you have downloaded to itunes.
When I think of all the harm the Bible has done, I despair of ever writing anything to equal it- Oscar Wilde

Bullet Tooth
One Man Wall of Death

Post by Bullet Tooth » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:00 pm

i was thinking that too. ive never used itunes. can i just rerip all my cds to itunes?

Walking Thunder

Post by Walking Thunder » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:02 pm

Bullet Tooth wrote:i wish i had known that before i bought it. i have a crapload of music on my computer and i dont want to download it all again. i really dont want to pay for even more stuff to take my windows player stuff to the ipod. anyone know of any free software that does that?
If the music is already on your computer you won't have to download it again. . . Because it's already on your hard drive. You shouldn't have to pay for anything else. iTunes is free for download (http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/). The only difference is that iTunes will need to locate all of your music files into its library. From there you should be able to drag and drop your music into the little iPod icon that's on the left-hand side of iTunes. If you register your iPod the program may ask you to create a iTunes Store account, but you're not obligated to do so.

I use iTunes as my default media player. It's simple and user friendly. You might want to make the switch.

iTunes rips CDs to its library.
-John

Bullet Tooth
One Man Wall of Death

Post by Bullet Tooth » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:05 pm

ok thanks. ill test it out.

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Post by Big Fat Retard » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:10 pm

Walking Thunder wrote:
Bullet Tooth wrote:i wish i had known that before i bought it. i have a crapload of music on my computer and i dont want to download it all again. i really dont want to pay for even more stuff to take my windows player stuff to the ipod. anyone know of any free software that does that?
If the music is already on your computer you won't have to download it again. . . Because it's already on your hard drive. You shouldn't have to pay for anything else. iTunes is free for download (http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/). The only difference is that iTunes will need to locate all of your music files into its library. From there you should be able to drag and drop your music into the little iPod icon that's on the left-hand side of iTunes. If you register your iPod the program may ask you to create a iTunes Store account, but you're not obligated to do so.

I use iTunes as my default media player. It's simple and user friendly. You might want to make the switch.

iTunes rips CDs to its library.
Yeah, what he said. Just click and drag your files into your itunes library after you download itunes for free. itunes works great for me, but then I'm a big fat retard so what the fuck do I know.
I poop on Petland!

Bullet Tooth
One Man Wall of Death

Post by Bullet Tooth » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:34 pm

downloaded. seems to be working fine. its currently converting my wma files to whatever format itunes uses. should take a while.

jonnyROCKET

Post by jonnyROCKET » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:48 pm

the new iTunes genius thing is pretty sweet.

robdigi

Post by robdigi » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:02 pm

You got it. Be sure to let iTunes finish converting your music from that haggard-ass WMV format. Once it's done, look in /Documents and Settings/your account/My Documents/My Music/iTunes/iTunes Music to be sure it is all there. Then go to the original location for your music (the WMV files) and delete it all. That way you won't have hard drive space taken up by duplicate songs.
All that's missin' is the retired band teacher with the self-inflicted gunshot wound!

Bullet Tooth
One Man Wall of Death

Post by Bullet Tooth » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:23 am

got it working swell. i like.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:08 am

Depending on the size of your hard drive you may want to consider converting everything to MP3s and then deleting the WMA. Otherwise you will end up with two files of everything. Also if you buy anything on I-Tunes burn it to a CDR and then download it as MP3s. Otherwise you will be stuck with the mp4 files that you may have copyright problems with. You need to back up your shit.

I personally find I-Tunes to be slow as hell and a huge memory hog when ran on a windows machine. Also I don't like the way it catalogs the files. Windows Media player will play just about any sound file but mp4.

Oh and I-Tunes is evil and at the rate it is going right now, it will control the record industry within the next few years. They have too much control over the market as it is and now are dictating to the labels what material they will sell.
I paid my dues but I lost my Receipt.

tylerjames515

Post by tylerjames515 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:34 am

DaVo wrote:Depending on the size of your hard drive you may want to consider converting everything to MP3s and then deleting the WMA. Otherwise you will end up with two files of everything. Also if you buy anything on I-Tunes burn it to a CDR and then download it as MP3s. Otherwise you will be stuck with the mp4 files that you may have copyright problems with. You need to back up your shit.

I personally find I-Tunes to be slow as hell and a huge memory hog when ran on a windows machine. Also I don't like the way it catalogs the files. Windows Media player will play just about any sound file but mp4.

Oh and I-Tunes is evil and at the rate it is going right now, it will control the record industry within the next few years. They have too much control over the market as it is and now are dictating to the labels what material they will sell.
This isn't wanted. Go babble elsewhere, plz.
kthxbai.
Rooster wrote:cant worship the devil unless you are 21 now

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:05 pm

tylerjames515 wrote:
DaVo wrote:Depending on the size of your hard drive you may want to consider converting everything to MP3s and then deleting the WMA. Otherwise you will end up with two files of everything. Also if you buy anything on I-Tunes burn it to a CDR and then download it as MP3s. Otherwise you will be stuck with the mp4 files that you may have copyright problems with. You need to back up your shit.

This isn't wanted. Go babble elsewhere, plz.
kthxbai.
What's not wanted saying negative things about the high and mighty Apple. Look it up they want to control music industry,

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:19 pm

this is why records are the shit.

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:17 pm

a- itunes should download the first time you plug the thing in
b- as long as all of the music already on yer comp is in the actual 'music' folder then you can do this
(in itunes)
: hit file
go down to library
then hit consolidate library...it should bring everything that is on yer comp. into itunes

word
hope that works...

i just got a nano 3 weeks ago....and i've decided i fucking hate i tunes

vegan ss

Post by vegan ss » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:38 pm

Bullet Tooth wrote:got it working swell.

Walking Thunder

Post by Walking Thunder » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:00 pm

April 1 iTunes is going DRM free. Get with it, man! Anyways, who on this board buys from the iTunes Store?

What OS are you using that's making iTunes such a hog?

I'd consider the iTunes Store evil, but I wouldn't damn the whole program.
-John

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:31 pm

Walking Thunder wrote:

April 1 iTunes is going DRM free. Get with it, man! Anyways, who on this board buys from the iTunes Store?

What OS are you using that's making iTunes such a hog?

I'd consider the iTunes Store evil, but I wouldn't damn the whole program.
Windows Media XP on the desktop and Vista on the laptop. I've ran I-tunes off and on since it first came out and always had the same problem. Slow startup and then slow running.

I had heard that they were going DRM free. I really don't think it will make that much of a difference. The last upgrade of Media Player did piss me off cause there were a number of files it decided I didn't own but that could be in part due to rhapsody.

robdigi

Post by robdigi » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:42 pm

iTunes sucks on Windows. Truth. Use it to load yr iPod and play your music in another app if you need to- ideally Foobar (http://www.foobar2000.org/) if you know your shit.

If you are using the One True Platform of Goodness by the Company That Puts Food On My Table, iTunes is fast and pretty much impossible to beat.
All that's missin' is the retired band teacher with the self-inflicted gunshot wound!

jjjsXe

Post by jjjsXe » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:53 pm

robdigi wrote: (http://www.foobar2000.org/) if you know your shit.
You are always one step ahead of all us!
abortions for some, miniature american flags for others

Bullet Tooth
One Man Wall of Death

Post by Bullet Tooth » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:42 pm

ok one more issue. i downloaded from a blog to winrar. for some reason it only downloads to be played on windows media player. no other link for any other band does this. usually i just double click on the song in winrar and it automatically imports into itunes. how do i convert it so i can stick it into itunes?

robdigi

Post by robdigi » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:15 am

you can put a WMV file in iTunes for Windows. drag the WMV file into your itunes library window, then highlight the WMV song in the list and choose "convert to AAC" or "create AAC version" under the Advanced menu.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:55 pm

Bullet Tooth wrote:ok one more issue. i downloaded from a blog to winrar. for some reason it only downloads to be played on windows media player. no other link for any other band does this. usually i just double click on the song in winrar and it automatically imports into itunes. how do i convert it so i can stick it into itunes?
If you are running XP media, (not sure about the other versions and I haven't found it in Vista) but if you right click there will be an option to convert media file. Then just convert it to MP3. I know there is a couple of open source converters too. Try a google search.

Varg
Failed DMACC

Post by Varg » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:00 pm

LOL, you've got to be fucking kidding me.
---success in social interaction lies in making them afraid to see you disapprove