More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

Walking Thunder

Friday the 13th (2009)

Post by Walking Thunder » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:38 pm

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp276DOPQw0

Doesn't look as campy as the others. And I never watched the director's remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre so I don't know what his stuff is like. Nevertheless I'm excited.
-John
Doomed to endure and prevail.

joseph

Re: Friday the 13th (2009)

Post by joseph » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:53 pm

"THE WISHES GO BAD SAM"

Smoking Guns

Post by Smoking Guns » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:20 pm

fuck that.

shit's gonna suck big time.

that being said, i will go see it. we are working on watching every friday the 13th before this one comes out.

we just watched #4 (the final chapter) last night. the best one so far.

zach krook

Post by zach krook » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:30 pm

Smoking Guns wrote:fuck that.

that being said, i will go see it. we are working on watching every friday the 13th before this one comes out.

whoa! my house too.

we're on Jason Takes Manhattan, the eighth one?
Persona non grata

Smoking Guns

Post by Smoking Guns » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:51 pm

zach krook wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:fuck that.

whoa! my house too.

we're on Jason Takes Manhattan, the eighth one?
wow! good job, fellaz.

we had to watch all of the nightmare on elm street movies first, so that's why we're so behind.

can't wait till the friday the 13ths are over so that we can watch freddy vs. jason!!!

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Post by servo » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:56 pm

part 3 is the best FF13
Tu vir nunc es, canis

Walking Thunder

Post by Walking Thunder » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:25 pm

Friday the 13th part VII: The New Blood is the best Friday the 13th. But I think my all time favorite movie featuring Jason is Jason Goes to Hell; it has some of the best deaths around.
-John

Smoking Guns

Post by Smoking Guns » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:46 pm

3 was only good cuz of all the 3d shots!

look out its a wooden pole!

and the handheld video games.

noel_nothing

Post by noel_nothing » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:35 am

the only thing that worries me is michael bay being involved. most movies that have jerry bruckheimer, michael bay and/or nicholas cage involved tend to send a chill down my spine. however; i'm willing to see this when it hits.

Walking Thunder

Post by Walking Thunder » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:46 am

Smoking Guns wrote:3 was only good cuz of all the 3d shots!

look out its a wooden pole!

and the handheld video games.
And the wheelchair death. Jason has no mercy for the physically handicapped.
-John

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:50 am

wheelchair machete to the face was part 2.

Walking Thunder

Post by Walking Thunder » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:04 am

Fuck! you're right. My bad.
-John

keithdruids

Post by keithdruids » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:34 am

dear scott,

i know you've already watched it, but try and avoid 'friday the 13th: part v'. WORST. FILM. IN. HISTORY. WTF?!?

Walking Thunder

Post by Walking Thunder » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:32 pm

keithdruids wrote:dear scott,

i know you've already watched it, but try and avoid 'friday the 13th: part v'. WORST. FILM. IN. HISTORY. WTF?!?
Friday night I got about half way through Part V. It's damn campy and boring to watch when you can't pull any MST3000 commentary out because you're by yourself.
-John

Walking Thunder

Post by Walking Thunder » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:39 am

THIS FRIDAY!
-John

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:21 pm

i don't like that he is wearing the mask in a remake of the original. the hood is far scarier in my opinion.

Walking Thunder

Post by Walking Thunder » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:43 pm

I don't think it's a remake of the original. If it was a remake of the original Jason would only appear at the end.
-John

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:45 pm

yeah you're right. its reinvisioned or whatever.

DARKBASS

Post by DARKBASS » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:25 pm

ok, Michael Bay, I loved the rock but come on.....

Friday the 13th has always been "campy" why change that?

If you liked the texas chainsaw remakes you will like this, if you did not, you won't.

that's about it.
MARK'O'WAR

Walking Thunder

Post by Walking Thunder » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:08 pm

DARKBASS wrote:ok, Michael Bay, I loved the rock but come on.....

Friday the 13th has always been "campy" why change that?

If you liked the texas chainsaw remakes you will like this, if you did not, you won't.

that's about it.
Not a fan of Michael Bay. At least he's not directing it.

The 2003 remake of TCM did not interest me. Sure it was gratuitous and and had R. Lee Ermey in it, but the movie lost its meaning.

To which I have to say GODDAMMIT! that I have just now discovered that Marcus Nispel is directing this movie.

I should've done some research before going apeshit over this. I'll watch this tomorrow, but my expectations have been greatly lowered. D'oh.
-John

Milliterate

Post by Milliterate » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:33 pm

It will be good. They've ditched the campyness to go for a more realistic and truly scary approach. Jason actually runs fast, and demonstrates his strategy and knowledge of the area in this one.
I thought the TCM remake was very well done, it was an accurate depiction of the tale with a modern feel. I think F13 is going to be a solid reboot to a franchise ruined by a trip into the final frontier. (Jason X)

noel_nothing

Post by noel_nothing » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:57 pm

Milliterate wrote:I think F13 is going to be a solid reboot to a franchise ruined by a trip into the final frontier. (Jason X)
hahahaha! yes!

Walking Thunder

Post by Walking Thunder » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:02 am

Milliterate wrote:It will be good. They've ditched the campyness to go for a more realistic and truly scary approach. Jason actually runs fast, and demonstrates his strategy and knowledge of the area in this one.
I thought the TCM remake was very well done, it was an accurate depiction of the tale with a modern feel. I think F13 is going to be a solid reboot to a franchise ruined by a trip into the final frontier. (Jason X)

TCM (2003) is well done--it looks pretty--but I like the motif of animal slaughter and transgressing it to the slaughtering of people (animal rights type-of-thing I know). In the remake, this is absent. It is more about looking demented without actually delivering some message, creating the empty art of pastiche. Sure there's was the slaughterhouse scene, but that was more cinema coincidence than anything. She could've been placed in any kind of factory as long as it had a large cutting utensil.

As far as being accurate: Isn't the original "based" off of Ed Gein? That's what I always thought. And if this is the case neither movie is terribly accurate. That's why I always chuckle at the movie poster for the original. It's says "based" but I think it was later changed to "inspired."

I've realized that I did do some research before going apeshit. But I think that because I had just recently watched the remake of TCM and found out how much I didn't like it made me realize what was going on. Which gives me less anticipation for this movie.
-John

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:12 am

The grit and poor film quality of the original TCM kinda made it feel like you were watching a documentary with a super 8 or something and made it more realistic. Is there even a soundtrack?

Leatherface also does not care if you're handicapped. Classic wheelchair slaughter.

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:30 pm

lol totally going to the 420 screening today.

DARKBASS

Post by DARKBASS » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:58 pm

I saw it.

I thought it was OK.

it was a fun movie.

um, I thought it was much better than the texas chainsaw (new ones)

however, the origional texas chainsaw movies I thought where way better than the origional Friday the 13th movies, so that makes sense I suppose.

I don't know how you could call this movie anything but CAMPY, do you know what campy means?

it was modern campy, sure the quality was great, but the acting and plot development was pretty horrible. (i think this is a good thing in this movies case!)---------------

I'm waiting for Freddy though, I always like the Nightmare series better! hppe they dont fuck that one up, although it would not really matter as they have fucked up plenty in the past

-side note

why the fuck do people take their kids to this movie?!

I would have shat by drawers if I saw this as a kid for sure!

I was creeped by the origional night of the living dead when I was the age of some of the little children whose parents brought them to the showing I went too!!!!
MARK'O'WAR

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:10 pm

oh god the first nightmare is so good.
robert englund ftw!

Walking Thunder

Post by Walking Thunder » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:56 pm

The first sequence before the title shot holds more creativity than the rest of the movie. It is a new and creative protrayal of Jason Voorhees, but it putters out almost immediately. I ejoyed the first sequence a lot--unfortunately, in terms of murder, it is inconsistent. The first glimpse of JV made me sing "As Your Casket Closes" inside my head.

The most prominent invention to Jason's character is interesting, but is easy to catch onto.

This movie definitely has its campy moments. I didn't want this to be lost.

The ending holds a tinge of new input, but for the most part it's a cut and paste from II-IV.
-John

Milliterate

Post by Milliterate » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:52 pm

John, you're thinking about it too hard. Do we really want a new and creative portrayal of Jason? Isn't that what space Jason was? They stuck to what worked, what everyone really loves about Jason; a silent, mongoloid killing machine that tactfully whacks douchebag characters in inventive ways. I think it delivered on that note.
Although I think it could've been gorier, and it feels like there might have been quite a bit cut for an unrated release, I just really rather enjoyed seeing my favorite retarded mass-murderer on the screen again with no gimmicks to complicate things (i.e: telekinesis, Manhattan, demonic possession, space). Just the dark woods, a diverse gang of morons, and activities that straight piss off an angry deformed mama's boy who just wants to be left alone.
It was a lot of cut and paste from the first four, but thats what it was supposed to be. A re imagining of the early F13 films. Those were the films that still held that realistic essence, before the franchise became self aware and we're introduced to Jason copy-cats, zombie jason, and the aforementioned gimmicks that follow.

I thought of it as a welcome addition to the series. It was at least the best film since part 6...

Walking Thunder

Post by Walking Thunder » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:40 pm

I wish I could've seen more inventive murders like that of the first 15 minutes of the movie compared to the rest. A bear trap, hanging someone above a fire while she is trapped in a sleeping bag, stabbing through the floor that the victim way lying on? These murders were psychological intense for the victims which in turn created suspense and horror for the audience. This violence is much more creative that the rest of the murders which consists of a flying ax, ample machete usage that is lackluster due its lack of originality (I know this is his trademark--and I don't want it to go away--and so what I mean by this is the lack of suspense that is created because it's so expected), a door towel rack, and a bow and arrow. Compared to the rest of the series, nothing out of the ordinary. After the title shot I was expecting Jason to royally fuck with his victims mentally before offing them. Sadly this didn't happen like I was anticipating.

You're right, I may be thinking about it too hard, but I feel like they could've done a lot more with it.

It's a nice addition in some sense. If I would've saw newer and more frequent characterization of Jason in the sense that he sets up an elaborate scheme to get a group of dope smuggling horn dogs and uses the camp's lighting to find his victims I would be happier and complain less.

I enjoyed the new ideas of murder-less capture, the old tunnel system, and . . . Well I can't think of anything off the top of my head.
-John