More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

Crumpty Williams
Spatula Spam

Zeitgeist: Addendum [film]

Post by Crumpty Williams » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:43 pm

Just came out online:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 7695921912

If you haven't seen the original Zeitgeist yet it's definitely a must see and I'd suggest watching it first:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 5331&hl=en
i fucking rule.

Crumpty Williams
Spatula Spam

Re: Zeitgeist: Addendum [film]

Post by Crumpty Williams » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:39 pm

...weak....

come on, at the very least all you left wingers should be totally in to this...
i fucking rule.

Potter

Post by Potter » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:53 am

Crumpty Williams wrote:...weak....

come on, at the very least all you left wingers should be totally in to this...
you really just said that?

the first one was aight. i have to say, if i'm in a slump it usually just takes a good conspiracy theory to set my brain on fire. but what happens in a fire? a whole lot of energy is removed from organic mass and leaves a charred lump of nothing to let me be in a slump all over again.

i'll pass on this sequal. i'm so over conspiracies.

Crumpty Williams
Spatula Spam

Post by Crumpty Williams » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:00 am

the sequel really isn't conspiracy theory-ish at all. It spends some time talking about the flaws of a fractional reserve economic system.... attempts to explain how this is a root cause of the problems in the world, and basically tries to make a case for moving to a resource-based economy.... Of course, you get the filmmaker's personal slant on everything and it has to be taken with a grain of salt, but it makes some interesting points.

It's worth watching... presents an interesting way to look at the future of the planet/humanity. And yeah, I think the case that he makes here really would resonate well with all the left-wingers, so yes, I did say say that.
i fucking rule.

Crumpty Williams
Spatula Spam

Post by Crumpty Williams » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:41 am

Potter wrote:
the first one was aight. i have to say, if i'm in a slump it usually just takes a good conspiracy theory to set my brain on fire. but what happens in a fire? a whole lot of energy is removed from organic mass and leaves a charred lump of nothing to let me be in a slump all over again.
Also, I know exactly what you mean by this. Staying within your metaphor, I think the key is finding a way to make good use of that heat, no? 8)
i fucking rule.

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:25 am

crumpty- whats the deal? you keep posting politico type almost conspiracy stuff? did ...? i dont know you, not trying to be pissy but it seems like... i dont know , i guess my question is why?

Crumpty Williams
Spatula Spam

Post by Crumpty Williams » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:24 am

Hey man I'm not a political guy by any means. I just post things that I find interesting and that I think would garner some interest on this messageboard.

I mean, I've definitely been on a mind-bending personal journey trying to figure out the ultimate nature of reality for quite some time now :lol:; so this likely has an effect on the content of my posts...
i fucking rule.

carbon

Post by carbon » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:57 pm

I only have seen the Addendum and i found the first hour to be very interesting. It pisses me off so much to think that we are getting so fuckin raped by the elite. The hope Venus project is so far fetched that i can't imagine something like that workin in our society.

Fuck the man.
eat me.

Crumpty Williams
Spatula Spam

Post by Crumpty Williams » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:08 pm

Yeah the Venus project thing is pretty far out there, but it sounds like an awesome idea...
i fucking rule.

Potter

Post by Potter » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:22 am

Crumpty Williams wrote:
Potter wrote:
Also, I know exactly what you mean by this. Staying within your metaphor, I think the key is finding a way to make good use of that heat, no? 8)
its partly because of that film that i am writing a comic book about Space Grandpa which will probably never sell a copy.

Crumpty Williams
Spatula Spam

Post by Crumpty Williams » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:24 am

well, the title seems cool enough. i'll buy a copy based on the fact that you've watched the movie and you're a 515crew-er. If it's awesome, i'll be delighted. if it sucks, i might be disappointed, but i'll still commend you for being gnarly enough to go for making a rad comic.
i fucking rule.

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:15 pm

just started watching this. had to post that i'm pumped the first thing i hear is a carl sagan quote. that is all.

Crumpty Williams
Spatula Spam

Post by Crumpty Williams » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:16 pm

yeah carl sagan=awesome. in fact, i just recently wrote the seedlings of a carl sagan-inspired gnarly tune...
i fucking rule.

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:22 pm

potter wrote:the first one was aight. i have to say, if i'm in a slump it usually just takes a good conspiracy theory to set my brain on fire
joseph wrote:crumpty- whats the deal? you keep posting politico type almost conspiracy stuff?
using the term "conspiracy theory" is dumb and is generally used to deter institutional analysis. that said, the first Zeitgeist was pretty good.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats" - H. L. Mencken

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:27 pm

@nonymous wrote:
potter wrote:the first one was aight. i have to say, if i'm in a slump it usually just takes a good conspiracy theory to set my brain on fire
joseph wrote:crumpty- whats the deal? you keep posting politico type almost conspiracy stuff?
using the term "conspiracy theory" is dumb and is generally used to deter institutional analysis. that said, the first Zeitgeist was pretty good.
conspirancy theory was a good movie tho

Crumpty Williams
Spatula Spam

Post by Crumpty Williams » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:32 pm

@nonymous wrote:
using the term "conspiracy theory" is dumb and is generally used to deter institutional analysis.
I definitely agree with you on this point. On a related note, Wikipedia's entry for "conspiracy theory" itself is a great read:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspiracy_theory

Highly recommended for everyone.
i fucking rule.

Crumpty Williams
Spatula Spam

Post by Crumpty Williams » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:38 pm

joseph wrote:
@nonymous wrote:
conspirancy theory was a good movie tho
meh.... I just recently watched it because all my friends who know I'm into conspiracy theory type stuff were like, "Dude, you gotta watch Conspiracy Theory!"
I thought it was pretty weak... and definitely didn't do justice to the REAL conspiracy it was based on. :| Not to mention that it perpetuated the stereotype of anyone who looks into such things as a paranoid shizophrenic stalker lunatic....
That being said, the list of conspiracies he rattles through in that opening cab montage were spot on and I was surprised they included them in the movie.
i fucking rule.

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:19 pm

GOD.
THE REAL CONSPIRACY THEORY.

-Joe.

joseph

Post by joseph » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:14 am

using the term "conspiracy theory" is dumb and is generally used to deter institutional analysis. that said, the first Zeitgeist was pretty good.[/quote]
conspirancy theory was a good movie tho[/quote]

Not to mention that it perpetuated the stereotype of anyone who looks into such things as a paranoid shizophrenic stalker lunatic....[/quote]now you get it.

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:31 am

joseph wrote:using the term "conspiracy theory" is dumb and is generally used to deter institutional analysis..
and because of the general lack of testing, evidence, and above all reproduce-ability, they should be coined a "conspiracy hypothesis".
shit.

Crumpty Williams
Spatula Spam

Post by Crumpty Williams » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:38 pm

Considering that there has been a fair mix of "conspiracy hypotheses", "conspiracy theories", and actual proven conspiracies throughout history and into the present, I think coining the general collection as "conspiracy theories" is fair enough... especially when the term itself has been manipulated to the point that even mentioning the word "conspiracy" triggers a programmed aversion in the mind of the general public, conjuring up immediate images of the schizo-lost-uncle kind...

Again, I point to the wikipedia entry for conspiracy theory for a good overview of the term itself, discussion of the standards of proof that should be expected from proponents and detractors of such theories, good historical context, etc...
i fucking rule.

joseph

Post by joseph » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:49 pm

Hank Fist wrote:
@nonymous wrote:using the term "conspiracy theory" is dumb and is generally used to deter institutional analysis..
and because of the general lack of testing, evidence, and above all reproduce-ability, they should be coined a "conspiracy hypothesis".
shit.
fixed.