inx515xhell

Re: MGMT w/ Radio Moscow

Post by inx515xhell » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:18 pm

that's a dope flyer.

Smoking Guns

Post by Smoking Guns » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:26 pm

yeah. i'm down with that flyer.

however... i really hate the "animal head on people" trend.

Potter

Post by Potter » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:45 am

Wait, the trend that has been around for 1000+ years? Oh yea, it'll never last.

Dope flier.

Potter

Post by Potter » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:01 pm

Um you know the egyptians right? Ancient civilization of architectural wizards. Built the pyramids. Mummies. Brain sucking. Etc. .. so on so forth. Yea. They worship a god named Anubis. Still with me? Well this particular god had the body of a pharoah and the head of a black dog I believe. He shows up in various wall paintings called hieroglyphics. It was the language of communication in egypt circa 1000 b.c. or something. I'm not very good with dates. There were others with heads of falcons, owls, cats etc. . .

Regardless. Those took place oh, about 3000 years ago. I wouldn't exactly call animal heads on people a "trend".

'sayin. Knowledge is power!

Smoking Guns

Post by Smoking Guns » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:56 pm

jesus.

seriously? you droppin' some knowledge?

talking down to people is cool. (ps- most people consider anubis a jackal god, not a "black dog god")

yes, people have been anthropomorphising animals since they first saw an animal. yes, egyptian gods were originally depicted as animals, eventually taking forms such as human bodies with animal heads and even some that looked entirely human. yes, there are animal spirits in pretty much EVERY culture, many of which are humanized versions of animals. and yes, for the most part, i like how they look.

HOWEVER... i am not talking about that shit. what i'm talking about is the obvious explosion of animal-headed humans in pop culture (particularly in the "indie-culture") over the last couple of years. look up any number of "indie" artists or photographers or bands (and more mainstream ones as well). you'll see this theme over and over again. sometimes done very well, sometimes more obviously just biting the style of others.

i love art nouveau very much. this poster did a great job mimicking the hippie culture's mimicking of the late 1800's "new art", and made it very 2008 with the added animal head.

i like the poster.

i was just commenting on how i'm sick of trendy art in general.

Potter

Post by Potter » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:19 am

lol, i wasn't talkin' down homes. it was boredom more than anything.