More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

@nonymous

Crash the Conventions. . .

Post by @nonymous » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:01 am

as some of you know, the Democratic and Republican National Conventions are drawing near, which means, it's time for another mass summit protest to symbolically challenge the ruling class and the inequities of capitalism, right?

not quite. this time around, large anti-authoritarian organizing bodies have devised tactical/strategic approaches to shutting down the whole damn thing. why? the togetherness, visibility, and conflict with the forces of law and order that many experience at these demonstrations are real enough for some; others find it a good place to make contacts to help build stronger networks. whatever the cause, there will be a common theme running through the streets of Denver and St. Paul this year: CRASH THE CONVENTIONS!

for those interested in these strategies, there have been three tiers set up(RNC only):

Tier One: Establish 15-20 blockades, utilizing a diversity of tactics, creating an inner and outer ring around St. Paul’s Excel Center, where the RNC is to take place.

Tier Two: Immobilize the delegates’ transportation infrastructure, including the busses that are to convey them.

Tier Three: Block the five western bridges connecting the Twin Cities.

here's a press release that details what sections of the city still need to be taken:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=magUBVXrgiQ

more info can be found:

http://www.rncwelcomingcommittee.org
http://www.unconventionalaction.org
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats" - H. L. Mencken

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Re: Crash the Conventions. . .

Post by servo » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:19 am

scott beibin expects some kid to get killed at this!
Tu vir nunc es, canis

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:51 am

I always enjoy a good puppet show, thanks.

I still think you fagz are gonna get gooned though.

Beaver

Post by Beaver » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:27 pm

This sounds like alot of work for really no pay off. Republicans are still gonna hate minorities and want tax cuts for their upper class friends. No care ever.

robdigi

Post by robdigi » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:34 pm

These plans will go smoothly now that they are on the internet.

I'm both excited for the DNC, and dreading what it's going to do to the city. I'm in the lottery for tickets to the acceptance speech. The Minutemen are going to be demonstrating (for a few days, with a stage) in the park South of my neighborhood. Protesters are going to be camping in the park two blocks North of my house.

I'm going to be fixing a lot of progressive bloggers' computers over the next few weeks. I'll let you guys know if Markos comes in.
All that's missin' is the retired band teacher with the self-inflicted gunshot wound!

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:54 pm

i obviously didn't expect a lot of enthusiasm for this here, but i do think it could be interesting for folks to, at the very least, keep updated on this strategy while the conventions are happening. the media won't be covering this, unless a few windows get smashed, and it might provide good examples of what a few hunderd(thousand?) individuals can accomplish together.

also, this is the first time something like this has been organized publicly. all of the strategies are online and anyone can plug into them.

the welcoming committee in Minneapolis has spent months going door to door, to city council meetings, networking with folks from all over the political spectrum to make this as effective as possible.

whether or not we succeed in shutting the whole thing down, there is a lot that can/will be learned.
robdigi wrote:These plans will go smoothly now that they are on the internet.
the 3 tier strategy is a framework and provides very little info about what will be happening. affinity groups from all over the country have "adopted" 7 different sectors of the city and have their own plans which only they are privy to. the idea is that all of these groups working together, yet with their own agendas, can potentially be successful.

i don't think you have much to worry about in Denver. things weren't organized very well there and the primary focus is on the RNC.

good luck with the lottery, though there's still time if you want to join the other side: http://www.dncdisruption08.org
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats" - H. L. Mencken

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:07 pm

here's a look at how the city is split up:

robdigi

Post by robdigi » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:35 pm

Why do they say the convention is happening in Minneapolis when it's all in St Paul?

Fuck St. Paul... do as you please.
All that's missin' is the retired band teacher with the self-inflicted gunshot wound!

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:59 pm

robdigi wrote:Why do they say the convention is happening in Minneapolis when it's all in St Paul?
some of the events are happening in Minneapolis, as far as the strategy goes. but yeah, the excel center is in St. Paul.

jnice

Post by jnice » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:20 pm

For those of you who want to symbolically shut down the RNC (not physically), there's the "Rally for the Republic".
A has-been who never was.

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:41 pm

jnice wrote:For those of you who want to symbolically shut down the RNC (not physically), there's the "Rally for the Republic".
is that the ron paul thing?

for those of you who attend ron paul's thing, you will be awarded a special treat. . .that's right, Rockie Lynn is performing!

a more detailed look at the sector map here: http://www.unconventionalaction.org/dow ... ul_map.pdf

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:59 pm

@nonymous wrote:
for those of you who attend ron paul's thing, you will be awarded a special treat. . .that's right, Rockie Lynn is performing!

I think you guys are going to be in for a special treat as well.

...and do visit the Walker and MIA while you're in the Twin Cities. Lovely museums.

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:11 pm

that can go both ways:

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:15 pm

@nonymous wrote:that can go both ways:

True, but when it comes down to the riot squad vs. some limp-wristed anarchists, I think I'd put my money on the riot squad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMsgIGLqZOQ

Edit: If you guys were from Argentina, Eastern Europe or somewhere else with extensive dealings with the riot squad, I'd place your odds a little higher... but you're not.

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:32 pm

we'll see. . .

Beaver

Post by Beaver » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:40 pm

Lol at "Clobberin' time". I like how all the the old school hardcore dudes talk like cliche' cabbies.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:51 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkJKdWCg ... re=related

Cock Sparrer "Riot Squad".

Anyways, I am kicking around the idea of going up for the Ron Paul thing.

I also expect a complete after-action report from the left on their activities surrounding the Republican Convention.

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:09 pm

This thread is just part of the misinformation campaign!!

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:46 pm

forgot to mention, in supposed effort to take away public concerns of police brutality, St. Paul authorities have announced that this year will be different, with only 3500 police on duty and no riot gear--that has been accused of provoking tension and violence(though the gear will be in the "trunks of their cars just in case").

3500? for real? they'll be half that many anarchists there alone, not to mention 10,000 other demonstrators. should be interesting.

here's a couple links regarding this:

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/myfox/pa ... geId=3.2.1
http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/myfox/pa ... 1.1&sflg=1
http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/myfox/pa ... geId=1.1.1

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:46 pm

this just in:

On April 1, 2008, anarchists broke into the RNC Host Committee office and stole a video tour guide meant for RNC delegates. It was handed over to the RNC Welcoming Committee. In August 2008, they released it. This is that video.

click here

laffeyn

Post by laffeyn » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:44 pm

that video definitely failed to bring the lolz.

Varg
Failed DMACC

Post by Varg » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:00 pm

lol, no shit. Way to be clever............................................not :(

I'll be in town- might have to make it up there to bust some skullz.

MAKE PEACE, NOT SENSE.
---success in social interaction lies in making them afraid to see you disapprove

ilikehorses
Fun\Death Dealer

Post by ilikehorses » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:15 pm

Varg wrote:lol, no shit. Way to be clever............................................not
woah, varg with the sick burn!
Even today, I can't see a car run a red light without instantly having an image flash into my head of a man's erect penis, penetrating a watermelon.

UGH I SUCK

Varg
Failed DMACC

Post by Varg » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:35 am

Thanks brah, I mean- it's no MAKE PEACE, NOT SENSE....but thx
---success in social interaction lies in making them afraid to see you disapprove

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:31 pm

preemptive force(anticipated by many) has begun in the Twin Cities.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/08/30/ ... index.html

it escalated this morning with raids on four more houses, including four arrests. charges range from code violations to conspiracy to riot.

here's a transcript of the warrant: http://www.minnesotaindependent.com/618 ... razor-wire

this is exactly the kind of behavior by the authorities that does little to prevent violent acts and more to provoke everyone involved in this demonstration--not just anarchists.

good luck St. Paul PD.

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:36 pm

here's an informative video on the raids, provided by the Stimulator: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSljIwGsFJI&eurl

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:50 pm

statement from Ramsey County Sheriff's Dept. on raids:
Ramsey County Sheriff Bob Fletcher stated, “This investigation pertains to actions of the RNC Welcoming Committee. The “Welcoming Committee” is a criminal enterprise made up of 35 self- described anarchists who are intent on committing criminal acts before and during the Republican National Convention. These acts include tactics to blockade and disable delegate buses, breaching venue security and injuring police officers. They have recruited assistance in their criminal conspiracy from other anarchists groups throughout the country. Through their plans and actions they have exhibited a blatant disregard for the law and the safety of others.”

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:59 pm

@nonymous wrote:we'll see. . .

Not looking good so far.

Tampa Josh
Keepin it Real, Hatin Herb

Post by Tampa Josh » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:17 pm

When I was stationed at Fort Lewis during the WTO bullshit, my friends and I went up to Seattle and beat the living shit out of a whole bunch of anarchist faggots.

If I had a way of putting video tape into a digital media, I would upload a video of myself dragging this douche bag i had just sprayed with mace and blasted with brass knuckles to one of those shacks in a privately owned parking lot that pay attendant sits in and takes the money, and slamming the door several times on his head. Good times.

Sometimes I miss being a violent asshole to people I don't agree with politically, now I just don't care.
Thom wrote: At least assholes like tampa josh know they hate people.