More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

@nonymous

Best song(s) ever written/recorded by Human Beings...

Post by @nonymous » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:55 pm

in this thread you will nominate what you feel is the best song ever written and recorded--keeping in mind social/historical context, lyrical content, musicianship, and overall goodness for each artist/song(e.g. i don't care how many good songs Screwdriver has, their oppressive WP lyrics overshadow any musical ability the band may have).

i'll start by nominating Arsonist's Prayer by Catharsis. Arguably one of the best hardcore/punk bands ever, they wrote this epic track in '01 before breaking up shortly after. They were also one of the first bands associated with the "holy terror" label.

song here: http://www.myspace.com/catharsiscrimethinc
lyrics here:
http://www.notpopular.com/lyrics/444/Ca ... Split-CD#1
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats" - H. L. Mencken

little foot

Re: Best song(s) ever written/recorded by Human Beings...

Post by little foot » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:24 am

i second arsonist's prayer, it is in at least my top five, probably top 3.
the first track on the first godspeed is up there, but that is personal.
death letter by son house is probably number 1, possibly death don't have no mercy by the rev. gary davis
van morrission's brown eyed girl will always make me feel good. always.
every time you use your cell phone around my kids i am gonna blow smoke in your face. cancer is cancer.

hairy

Post by hairy » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:18 am

Smut Peddlers.
churchofchoppers.com

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:41 am

watch outside : the monomen
obviously

Furious D

Post by Furious D » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:18 am

Beethoven's Fifth
....just kidding.

Wheatstache
Superhero

Post by Wheatstache » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:12 am

In a Market Dimly Lit - mewithoutYou (lots of others from this album are equally as good- especially lyrically, but I picked this one)
Seriously

robdigi

Post by robdigi » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:31 am

The Kinks - Waterloo Sunset
All that's missin' is the retired band teacher with the self-inflicted gunshot wound!

crow

Post by crow » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:35 am

i'm pretty fond of henry the 8th by hermans hermits
"boobiez and buttz"
- u-god of the wu tang clan

robdigi

Post by robdigi » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:31 pm

Patrick Swayze version, though
All that's missin' is the retired band teacher with the self-inflicted gunshot wound!

Varg
Failed DMACC

Post by Varg » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:38 pm

Even though music is subjective.....the best "song ever written" wouldn't be done by dipshits listed here.

It would have to have be done by not only a great composer, but also a master ORCHESTRATOR. You know, someone who actually knows something about music.
---success in social interaction lies in making them afraid to see you disapprove

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:29 pm

If it is the overall best song, I have to say Benny Goodman's Sing, Sing, Sing. Nothing as powerful to date. It's simply a prefect song.
I paid my dues but I lost my Receipt.

little foot

Post by little foot » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:38 pm

i forgot sinnerman by nina simone. fucking powerful.
every time you use your cell phone around my kids i am gonna blow smoke in your face. cancer is cancer.

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:02 pm

Varg wrote:Even though music is subjective.....the best "song ever written" wouldn't be done by dipshits listed here.

It would have to have be done by not only a great composer, but also a master ORCHESTRATOR. You know, someone who actually knows something about music.
While trying to be smart, you made yourself sound stupid, as usual.

song
1. a short metrical composition intended or adapted for singing, esp. one in rhymed stanzas; a lyric; a ballad.
2. a musical piece adapted for singing or simulating a piece to be sung: Mendelssohn's “Songs without Words.”
3. poetical composition; poetry.
4. the art or act of singing; vocal music.
5. something that is sung.
6. an elaborate vocal signal produced by an animal, as the distinctive sounds produced by certain birds, frogs, etc., in a courtship or territorial display.

An orchestrator may be able to write music, but may have no poetic or lyrical abilities at all. Stop trying to be smart, and name a Mayhem song or something.

joseph

Post by joseph » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:36 pm

Leonard Cohen- Dress Rehearsal Rag
Jimi Hendrix- Machine Gun
John Coltrane- A Love Supreme
Nina Simone- Young Gifted and Black
Ted Nugent- Stranglehold
Bad Brains- I and I Survive
Marty Robbins- El Paso
Charles Mingus- the Shoes of the Fishermans Wife are Some Jive Ass Slippers
etc........................................

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:39 pm

@nonymous wrote:(e.g. i don't care how many good songs Screwdriver has, their oppressive WP lyrics overshadow any musical ability the band may have).

What the fuck are you talking about, Screwdriver is a bunch of black guys playing reggae and they're not really good enough to be on anyone's radar for best song ever.

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:06 pm

Varg wrote:Even though music is subjective.....the best "song ever written" wouldn't be done by dipshits listed here.
STABWOUND, BRAH.

Arsonist's Prayer is good, not perfect, I was never into the talking shit the dude would do in a lot of the Catharsis songs.

Fuck You I'm Not PC by The Max Levine Ensemble is my perfect song.

-Joe.

richie_daggers1

Post by richie_daggers1 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:49 pm

The Ace Ventura Song By EYERISH KID and that other clown

ilikehorses
Fun\Death Dealer

Post by ilikehorses » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:03 pm

wow. you take all the fun out of everything you take part of, buzzkill.
Even today, I can't see a car run a red light without instantly having an image flash into my head of a man's erect penis, penetrating a watermelon.

UGH I SUCK

Varg
Failed DMACC

Post by Varg » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:40 am

"I Thought You Were My Boyfriend"-The Magnetic Fields
---success in social interaction lies in making them afraid to see you disapprove

tylerjames515

Post by tylerjames515 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:37 am

It's obviously, Kenny Loggins - Highway to the Danger Zone, duh.
Why? Watch Top Gun.
Rooster wrote:cant worship the devil unless you are 21 now

robdigi

Post by robdigi » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:50 am

so yeah varg that would be cool and true and all if anyone with a soul's definition of "good" depended solely on technical skill, and there were no intangible reasons for enjoying music.

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:47 am

Varg wrote:
Hank Fist wrote: While trying to be smart, you made yourself sound stupid, as usual.

song
1. a short metrical composition intended or adapted for singing, esp. one in rhymed stanzas; a lyric; a ballad.
2. a musical piece adapted for singing or simulating a piece to be sung: Mendelssohn's “Songs without Words.”
3. poetical composition; poetry.
4. the art or act of singing; vocal music.
5. something that is sung.
6. an elaborate vocal signal produced by an animal, as the distinctive sounds produced by certain birds, frogs, etc., in a courtship or territorial display.

An orchestrator may be able to write music, but may have no poetic or lyrical abilities at all. Stop trying to be smart, and name a Mayhem song or something.

Oh LoL, I'm the stupid one? While you were looking up "song" perhaps you should have also looked up COMPOSER.

Let's dissect your second to last sentence here- "an orchestrator may be able to write music..." Orchestration and Composition (or "writing"- see? you should have looked it up) are two VERY DIFFERENT THINGS- it's obvious from this sentence, you are unaware of this. Orchestration, in something as little as a song, still plays a powerful role in the composition itself.

And sorry, your "but may" coulda, woulda, shoulda, statement- doesn't hold water. I said great composer, as well as, master orchestrator. A "great composer" is just that- great. If I said "mediocre" or "worthless composer" then sure, I suppose that would be true.

There are many composers who aren't masters at orchestration, but thats another topic for another time.

My point was- wouldn't it stand to reason, that if we were having legitimate discussion about the best song EVER, that it would almost certainly have to come from someone with an understanding of music? This is a valid and legitimate stance to take in such a discussion. Anybody can compose songs, but a Composer with an in-depth knowledge of all aspects of music theory stands a better chance against someone who would be considered a novice, because he already understands WHY certain things "sound good" and therefore is more likely to create "the greatest song ever".

And now you, trying to sound smart, have outed yourself as a complete dimwit.

What's next, a definition of "composition"?
Um, Varg? This thread is about a favorite song. My daughter sings songs and records them all the time, and some of them are her favorite. You seem to think that a "real" song can only be created by someone that can write it out note for note.
You need to get laid, dude. You're way too uptight and anal.
You also need need to look up the definition of "jackfuck", jackfuck.

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:23 am

Varg wrote: Anybody can compose songs, but a Composer with an in-depth knowledge of all aspects of music theory stands a better chance against someone who would be considered a novice, because he already understands WHY certain things "sound good" and therefore is more likely to create "the greatest song ever".
you can go back to the genome project now.

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:35 am

Love is Good-The Pretty Things
Down By The Riverside-The Kinks
A Quick One While He's Away (Live from the Rolling Stones Rock n' Roll Circus)-The Who
Dyers Eve-Metallica

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:47 am

locomotive breath

jonnyROCKET

Post by jonnyROCKET » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:55 pm

Wheatstache wrote:In a Market Dimly Lit - mewithoutYou (lots of others from this album are equally as good- especially lyrically, but I picked this one)
I just saw them Sunday. They absolutely blew me away, like usual. I'd choose "O, Porcupine" or "Nice and Blue, Pt. II".

Wheatstache
Superhero

Post by Wheatstache » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:34 pm

jonnyROCKET wrote:
Wheatstache wrote:In a Market Dimly Lit - mewithoutYou (lots of others from this album are equally as good- especially lyrically, but I picked this one)
I just saw them Sunday. They absolutely blew me away, like usual. I'd choose "O, Porcupine" or "Nice and Blue, Pt. II".
I was out of town for this but really wanted to be there. I LOVE seeing them live. It was hard to nail down their best, and it definitely changes. Carousels and Son of a Widow are pretty amazing too. The whole Brother, Sister album is eligible.
Seriously

Varg
Failed DMACC

Post by Varg » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:01 am

Hank Fist wrote:

Oh LoL, I'm the stupid one? While you were looking up "song" perhaps you should have also looked up COMPOSER.

Let's dissect your second to last sentence here- "an orchestrator may be able to write music..." Orchestration and Composition (or "writing"- see? you should have looked it up) are two VERY DIFFERENT THINGS- it's obvious from this sentence, you are unaware of this. Orchestration, in something as little as a song, still plays a powerful role in the composition itself.

And sorry, your "but may" coulda, woulda, shoulda, statement- doesn't hold water. I said great composer, as well as, master orchestrator. A "great composer" is just that- great. If I said "mediocre" or "worthless composer" then sure, I suppose that would be true.

There are many composers who aren't masters at orchestration, but thats another topic for another time.

My point was- wouldn't it stand to reason, that if we were having legitimate discussion about the best song EVER, that it would almost certainly have to come from someone with an understanding of music? This is a valid and legitimate stance to take in such a discussion. Anybody can compose songs, but a Composer with an in-depth knowledge of all aspects of music theory stands a better chance against someone who would be considered a novice, because he already understands WHY certain things "sound good" and therefore is more likely to create "the greatest song ever".

And now you, trying to sound smart, have outed yourself as a complete dimwit.

What's next, a definition of "composition"?
Um, Varg? This thread is about a favorite song. My daughter sings songs and records them all the time, and some of them are her favorite. You seem to think that a "real" song can only be created by someone that can write it out note for note.
You need to get laid, dude. You're way too uptight and anal.
You also need need to look up the definition of "jackfuck", jackfuck.
No, this thread is about "BEST SONG" not "favorite song" "JACKFUCK". And, in the above post of mine which you quoted you can quite clearly see the line "Anybody can compose...." you JACKFUCK.

Now I'm going to see how many times I can say JACKFUCK before it's not cool here anymore. JACKFUCK is some of the saddest Iowa slang I've ever heard. Only a JACKFUCK........

robdigi

Post by robdigi » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:41 am

people say jackfuck all over the place. hardly iowa slang. jackfuck.

teedotjaydot

Post by teedotjaydot » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:32 pm

I would nominate and all of these:
Cool Bath - Vampire Hands
Falling - Barkmarket
Om - John Coltrane
A Rose for Emily - the Zombies
Druganaut - Black Mountain
Here at the Starlite - Lucero
Stallkicker - Oxbow
Paralyzed - Godflesh
Seventh Sign - Imaad Wasif & the Two Part Beast

but this one absolutely takes the cake:

For Jack A Phillipic - Enablers

every single time i hear this song i get chills and it hurts a little.
it's like washing my brain.
i need a shower, a shave and maybe a song with a melody