joseph

Break a Nail: Punk Rock Cycling

Post by joseph » Wed May 21, 2008 9:52 am

wheres colonizer when i need them?

http://www.dmjuice.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... /805210305
by brianne sanchez
juice staff writer

05/20/2008

If you wear "road rash" like a scabby badge of honor, you might be a Punk Rock Cyclist. This is a different kind of riding than tooling around the cul-de-sac, and it attracts a different kind of rider. The PRC team members are addicted to competitive cycling, each logging up to a dozen hours a week on their bikes and racing 10 months out of the year. The endorphins, camaraderie and drive to win are a few of the elements that keep these athletes in the saddle. That, and margarita-flavored energy chews.

Races are either tight in-city criteriums or spread-out 40- and 70-mile road races. There's rarely a big purse: Jane Riessen won a chocolate cake and a pack of beer at one race. Others pay out up to $400. There are easier ways to make money.

Watching the team zip past on a lonely stretch of road, their feet clamped to pedals and torsos leaning forward, helmets toward handlebars, the sport looks like a breeze. It's not. The wind is pushing against their sides as the riders try to stay in a pack, letting teammates draft behind to conserve energy - a strategy that allows the drafter to whip forward and take the lead.

Each PRC team member was handpicked by Donny Quixote, who works at Rasmussen Bike Shop and had a vision of creating a local women's team to champion the sport. He coaches, secures sponsorship, promotes the team - even plays the role of nurse when one wipes out and needs medical attention. (Kelli Mente crashed during a late April group ride and was taken by ambulance to treat a nasty road rash on her face, swelling that shut and blackened her left eye, a knocked-out tooth, and sprained fingers on her left hand.)

But this team isn't about any one person. It's about pushing boundaries, defying stereotypes, exhaustion - hell, even gravity.

aeon grey

Re: Break a Nail: Punk Rock Cycling

Post by aeon grey » Wed May 21, 2008 11:28 am

Yeah, this article made absolutely no sense to me at all...

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Wed May 21, 2008 12:15 pm

I saw "punk rock cycling" in Cityview or something a while back ago and looked it up. Didn't look very punk to me, so I lost interest.

Milliterate

Post by Milliterate » Wed May 21, 2008 5:01 pm

punk as fuck

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed May 21, 2008 5:09 pm

http://www.bikeiowa.com/asp/features/fe ... icleID=817

Bike Iowa: This is such a great idea, why didn't I think of it?

Maria: Because you're not a mom

The Punk Rock Cycling Women’s Team is an amazing group of women racing and riding their bikes, promoting their sport, leading clinics, hosting races, writing zines, teaching others, setting the example, getting involved, and just basically giving a damn. Team members include: Jennifer Greenberg, Kelli Mente, Ana Nelson, Jane Riessen, Maria Ruhtenberg, and Emily Schaapveld. PRC is sponsored by the Elder Corporation, Wexford & James, Rasmussen Bike Shop, Specialized, Shimano, Visionary Services, RBS Training Systems, and Oakley. Learn more about PRC at www.punkrockcycling.com

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed May 21, 2008 5:14 pm

so im not the most outgoing person. i dont talk to people i know in public let alone make new friends very often but i am confused about this "punk rock" maybe its the definition, maybe its my definition thats wrong. i dont know any of these names. i dont recognize any faces in the article and im blocked out of their site but... i dont understand the punk rock? am i getting a little too worried about it? maybe. isnt this about the same as someone saying theyre a skinhead just because they shaved their head?

maybe im not saying it right. and maybe im too old. and maybe these girls are punk rock?

robdigi

Post by robdigi » Wed May 21, 2008 8:05 pm

punk rock is a universally accepted term used loosely for anything out of the ordinary, anti-establishment or DIY.

there you go. you are getting too worried about it.
All that's missin' is the retired band teacher with the self-inflicted gunshot wound!

robdigi

Post by robdigi » Wed May 21, 2008 8:15 pm

btw I bought a bike yesterday. I'm having a friend convert it to single-speed. punk as fuck!!!!!!!!
All that's missin' is the retired band teacher with the self-inflicted gunshot wound!

crow

Post by crow » Thu May 22, 2008 8:55 am

robdigi wrote:btw I bought a bike yesterday. I'm having a friend convert it to single-speed. punk as fuck!!!!!!!!
fixed gear? dont be gay.
"boobiez and buttz"
- u-god of the wu tang clan

joseph

Post by joseph » Thu May 22, 2008 9:30 am

robdigi wrote:punk rock is a universally accepted term used loosely for anything out of the ordinary, anti-establishment or DIY.

there you go. you are getting too worried about it.
oh so its like skateboarding now...

robdigi

Post by robdigi » Thu May 22, 2008 11:29 am

fixed gear and single speed are not the same

single speed allows you to coast and power slide.

crow

Post by crow » Thu May 22, 2008 11:39 am

i know the difference, i just wanted to make sure.
"boobiez and buttz"
- u-god of the wu tang clan

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Thu May 22, 2008 12:30 pm

crow wrote:
robdigi wrote:btw I bought a bike yesterday. I'm having a friend convert it to single-speed. punk as fuck!!!!!!!!
fixed gear? dont be gay.
not

jjjsXe

Post by jjjsXe » Thu May 22, 2008 3:22 pm

Hank Fist wrote:
crow wrote:
fixed gear? dont be gay.
not

why are those wheels so big, what the fuck where they thinking?
abortions for some, miniature american flags for others

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Thu May 22, 2008 3:45 pm

The ordinary is a direct-drive bicycle, meaning that the cranks and pedals are affixed directly to the hub, similar to those of a small tricycle. Instead of using a relatively complex and heavy gear system to multiply the revolutions of the pedals, the driven wheel was enlarged to its maximum radius—up to a length close to the rider's inseam—to increase the maximum speed. This shifted the position of the rider upward, placing him nearly on top of the wheel.

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Sat May 24, 2008 11:16 am

single speeds are cool.

my friend mark made a pretty cool bike:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AdrAR2TuR7k
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats" - H. L. Mencken