More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Scented Vinyl

Post by Big Fat Retard » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:26 pm

Check out www.scentedvinyl.com I made sure to give a shout out to the 515crew.
I poop on Petland!

Joey Chaos
Destroy!

Re: Scented Vinyl

Post by Joey Chaos » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:18 pm

If it's the thing at Mars, it's super gay. I sent them a message on myspace right when they started this, asking if we could maybe reserve a spot. After about two weeks with no reply, I sent another. Another couple of weeks went by, and nothing. So I messaged them and more or less said "we didn't want to play your gay ass coffee shop anyway." Of course, then I get a "what's your deal, sorry you're too good for our place" email. Fuck those fagz and their gay coffee shop.

teedotjaydot

Post by teedotjaydot » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:57 pm

Great show.

Best coffee shop in town.

go cry about it Joey.
i need a shower, a shave and maybe a song with a melody

Joey Chaos
Destroy!

Post by Joey Chaos » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:33 pm

Nah, really, gay.

teedotjaydot

Post by teedotjaydot » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:42 pm

Joey Chaos wrote:Man i cannot quit crying about everything. I gotta bitch about anything anybody else does cuz i'm, deep down, a little jealous. Jealous that I don't live in Des Moines anymore and people are actually doing something productive with their time.
quite an insightful post there Joey.

Joey Chaos
Destroy!

Post by Joey Chaos » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:48 pm

Not even remotely. They were advertising those shows LONG before I moved. I hope plenty of people in DSM put on shows, if anyone ever puts on a decent one, I'll even come. I had my run of doing shows, and it was fun, I'll still do one now and then. Shows at coffee shops are eternally gay. Even gayer than shows at Vaudeville (only slightly).

teedotjaydot

Post by teedotjaydot » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:01 pm

Joey Chaos wrote:Not even remotely. They were advertising those shows LONG before I moved. I hope plenty of people in DSM put on shows, if anyone ever puts on a decent one, I'll even come. I had my run of doing shows, and it was fun, I'll still do one now and then. Shows at coffee shops are eternally gay. Even gayer than shows at Vaudeville (only slightly).
you ever listen to the show?

ever?

it's not a "show" like a concert, it's a radio show fer chrissakes.

you go on, share some of your favorite vinylz. Then if you can pull it off, do an acoustic or low-key set. Really not something to get all 'anti' on.

and if coffee shop shows are so "gay", why'd you ask to be on it in the first place? you're really not making a lot of sense here.

and why the hell are you shit-talking the Mews?

they provided you with a place to put on several shows, even let us do the outdoor stage last fall. It's the only bar/venue that we can count on in this town to let any and all types of music be showcased. you really seem to be spouting some ridiculously irrelevant shit just for the sake of it.

justify even one statement you've made in this thread so you don't look like such ridiculous person.

aeon grey

Post by aeon grey » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:12 am

Yeah, This show is fun to do, and even interesting to listen to. I have probably listened to most of them while at work.

This attitude is almost the standard it seems for a lot of local bands though. I guess all the whining keeps it interesting.

And if you really did hit him up when it started. Why did you wait almost a year after it started to make this post?

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:50 am

teedotjaydot wrote:Best CHRISTian coffee shop in town.
"true fucking story!"

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:05 am

teedotjaydot wrote:
Joey Chaos wrote:Not even remotely. They were advertising those shows LONG before I moved. I hope plenty of people in DSM put on shows, if anyone ever puts on a decent one, I'll even come. I had my run of doing shows, and it was fun, I'll still do one now and then. Shows at coffee shops are eternally gay. Even gayer than shows at Vaudeville (only slightly).

ever?

you go on, share some of your favorite vinylz. Then if you can pull it off, do an acoustic or low-key set. Really not something to get all 'anti' on.

and if coffee shop shows are so "gay", why'd you ask to be on it in the first place? you're really not making a lot of sense here.

they provided you with a place to put on several shows, even let us do the outdoor stage last fall. It's the only bar/venue that we can count on in this town to let any and all types of music be showcased. you really seem to be spouting some ridiculously irrelevant shit just for the sake of it.

justify even one statement you've made in this thread so you don't look like such ridiculous person.
do you pick on joey cause he owes you money?

Wheatstache
Superhero

Post by Wheatstache » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:20 am

Looks pretty cool. I'm definitely going to have to start listening to this at work/ going to these.

Mars is hands down the best coffee shop in town.
Seriously

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:55 am

Wheatstache wrote:Mars is hands down the best coffee shop in town.
i hear alot of people say this. is it the coffee? service? location? pretty people? i mean why?

Wheatstache
Superhero

Post by Wheatstache » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:04 am

joseph wrote:
Wheatstache wrote:Mars is hands down the best coffee shop in town.
i hear alot of people say this. is it the coffee? service? location? pretty people? i mean why?
The coffee is really good. Their espresso is my favorite. Good service/friendly workers and a nice building definitely help too. I like the Drake area a whole lot too, so the location is great in my opinion.
Also, it's where I met my fiancee.
Seriously

aeon grey

Post by aeon grey » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:04 am

the coffee is good, and they have such a wide selection of drinks, a lot of things you can't find other places in town.

I still prefer zanzibars.. but that might just be because of the location.

The Enemy

Post by The Enemy » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:38 am

Hey this is Daniel from Scented Vinyl :D I've heard of this site for awhile, but it wasn't until Jamie mentioned it last Monday that I made a note to check it out for myself. That's when I saw this thread and had to join.

I remember Joey's message pretty well, actually I went back and found it. On July 23 he sent me this "What the hell is Scented Vinyl" about 5 days later I got this "Well fuck you then". Apparently I didn't respond to his first message quick enough. To clear things up Joey, you never asked to be on the show or really even seemed remotely interested in it. I did respond, as soon as I got the chance; working three jobs w/ a kid and a show that I don't get paid for kind of slows things down a bit. I get it, your own of those guys that actually spends all day on line on message boards being negative, to each their own. Please just leave me out of it.

I do this because I care about music, specifically Iowa music. I do it for fun as well. I have no web design experience or anything of the nature, so the website is something I do for my own sake and for anybody who is interested. There are a lot of great things happening in our music community right now, and it's really fun to be apart of and help out any way I can.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone else!! I'm glad to be apart of this board now, I look forward to chatting in the future. Stop into Mars Cafe and I'll make some shots of espresso for you well you read your bibles :lol:

Zanzibars rules as well.

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:05 pm

Dear Daniel,

Love you, I'm going to bring my child over to play with yours, because you live a block away.

Micah

Wheatstache
Superhero

Post by Wheatstache » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:07 pm

If this is the Dan I'm thinking of, he's a sweet dude. Don't give him stupid grief.
Seriously

Nlaffey

Post by Nlaffey » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:46 pm

Dans a good dude.

teedotjaydot

Post by teedotjaydot » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:42 pm

joseph wrote:
teedotjaydot wrote:

ever?

do you pick on joey cause he owes you money?
I pick on him because he makes ridiculous, and apparently unfounded, statements quite often. keep em on their toes....

when it's about the money i just say so.

oh yeah,

hey joey you owe me money

to dan, thanks for clearing this ridiculousness up. keep up the good work with the show. thanks for doing what you do.

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Post by Big Fat Retard » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:53 pm

The coolest thing about Dan's show is that he's willing to have bands of any kind on his show. He's a true music lover and isn't into just one kind of music.

The Mars Cafe is a great place to hang out. I wish I had time to go there more often. They also serve Miller High Life and PBR alongside the fancy beers, which is a big plus. I swear there's meth in their coffee though. That shit keeps me up until the next day. The people working there are great too.

I also noticed they have a Risk board. A Risk night would be a cool idea.

Nice to meet you the other night T.J.
I poop on Petland!

Joey Chaos
Destroy!

Post by Joey Chaos » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:25 pm

teedotjaydot wrote:
Joey Chaos wrote:

Because they're thieves, that's why. Because Ladd gets a cut of the door money at EVERY show they have whether he had ANYTHING to do with it or not. I don't know how many times I lost money there because I had to give some money to Ladd, or to the bar, even though the only thing Ladd did was email me back and say "yeah, that day's open". Keep in mind that people buy a shit ton of drinks at basically all of the shows I do.

Also, because they more or less screw bands.

Exhibit A. If a touring band plays at Vaudeville and has a 150 dollar guarantee and 150 people show up, it looks like this:

Touring band - 150 bucks

Vaudeville - 600 bucks plus all the booze money.

Huh?
Before I say this, I'm not all for paying local bands when moneys tight. However, when it's not, they should get something.

Exhibit B. A touring band with a 100 dollar gaurantee plays and Haze the Hides (or anyone else opens) opens. The touring band is decent, but noone around here has heard them, so their draw is basically non existent. 75 of HTH friends, fans, whatever show up. It goes like this.

Touring band - 100

Vaudeville - 275

Haze the Hides or other local band - ZIP

Like I said, I'm not about taking from other bands, especially touring ones. But if the room full of people come to see us, and the mews makes 5-600 on booze (this is an understatement usually), why do they get all the door money, and we get shit?

Last but not least, that bar tender is a prick. I can't think of what his name is, but he better watch the way he treats me from now on. Since I don't care about being able to do shows there anymore, if he lips off again he's getting hit with the nearest bottle I can grab.

teedotjaydot

Post by teedotjaydot » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:31 pm

wow, that's just about the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard.

all of it.

Joey Chaos
Destroy!

Post by Joey Chaos » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:34 pm

Ok, so you tell me which part isn't true.

Bullet Tooth
One Man Wall of Death

Post by Bullet Tooth » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:44 pm

i havent really paid attention to the scented vinyl thing. sounds ok. my band would never play it for the obvious reasons, we couldnt play a low key or acoustic set.

ive been there once, shit seemed all right.

as far as being paid for playing locally, no care ever.

Joey Chaos
Destroy!

Post by Joey Chaos » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:29 pm

I don't care either. But if it comes down to either the band or the bar getting the extra door money, the band deserves it (especially when they drew the crowd). The bar makes it's money off of booze sales (which increase heavily at most shows) because that's what bars do. I realize that 90% of the shows at the Mews consist of 20 indie fagz sitting around drinking coffee from next door and watching some homo play keyboards, but that's not my fault and definitely not how my shows are.

teedotjaydot

Post by teedotjaydot » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm

Joey you have to know that it's totally ridiculous to make a blanket statement about how all shows work, especially when you attend maybe 1% of the shows there.

if you've got issues with money, take em up with Ladd, but the stories you're spouting on here sound like bullshit.

i've seen how countless numbers of shows work out money-wise and it's nothing like what you're saying. Either you know that and you're throwing shit at a great place for whatever reason, you've been lied to by the bands who paid you out (or not) as a local, or you're ignorant of the entire process and want to sound like you know what you're talking about.

clean it up.

Joey Chaos
Destroy!

Post by Joey Chaos » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:45 pm

K, TJ, I realize that you think you know what you're talking about because you've been working there for a few months (if even that long), but you don't. Maybe within the last couple of months things have changed, but I doubt it.

ilikehorses
Fun\Death Dealer

Post by ilikehorses » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:49 pm

when i was doing door for ladd, all of the money went to the doorguy, soundguy, then the bands, and then ladd. i don't remember ever giving any of it to the bar. but i only did door maybe ten times.
Even today, I can't see a car run a red light without instantly having an image flash into my head of a man's erect penis, penetrating a watermelon.

UGH I SUCK

teedotjaydot

Post by teedotjaydot » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:44 pm

Joey Chaos wrote:K, TJ, I realize that you think you know what you're talking about because you've been working there for a few months (if even that long), but you don't. Maybe within the last couple of months things have changed, but I doubt it.
keep talking like you know something joey.

1. I always know what I'm talking about.

2. i've been working there full time for over 9 months.

3. before i was there full time, i worked a lot of shows for them.

even then, i was playing shows there. I know how they handled money
before, and how they handle it now, neither way is what you describe.

base your arguments off the half dozen shows you booked and played, you're doing a great job. if you're a little hazy on the details, admit it. based on other "facts" brought forth by you in this thread it shows you may embellish a little.