More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Let's Discuss The Worst Intersections in Des Moines

Post by El Rhino » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:12 pm

Today I went to Hy-Vee on Park & SE 14th. As I was walking in I heard a loud noise and then saw a Suburban or something jump the curb, knocked out the stop sign and knocked the wheel off the vehicle. He hit another vehicle too. When I came out, I saw they had the dude in the Suburban in handcuffs. I'm pretty sure this is the guy, but it looks like they got him for non-payment of child support. http://www.polkcountyiowa.gov/InmatesOn ... x?bi=58608

I think that intersection is supposed to be the worst in the area for traffic accidents. It seems like there's a lot of them there and within a few blocks. A little over a year ago some guy hit my sister and took off from the scene. There was a cop two cars behind them, they ended up nabbing him a block or two up the road at that McDonald's, they had his ass face down on the concrete with guns drawn. I guess he had a few warrants out and a huge rap sheet. Of course he had no insurance.

Earlier in the month at the RV lot up the road someone managed to ramp their car over the fence and land upside down on an RV, I wish I could've seen that one happen. That would be very hard to do intentionally.

Discuss the worst intersections in Des Moines and/or the surrounding areas.

robdigi

Re: Let's Discuss The Worst Intersections in Des Moines

Post by robdigi » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:22 pm

22nd and University was purported to be the worst intersection on the West side of town by my driving instructor in high school. Eh. It's not so bad, unless you have a hard time understanding dual turn lanes. Des Moines is usually pretty good when it comes to street layout.. rarely do you have strange angles or more than four streets intersecting.
All that's missin' is the retired band teacher with the self-inflicted gunshot wound!

Tom

Post by Tom » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:02 pm

not really an intersection, but just north of university on 6th ave...all of the homeless fucks staggering back and forth between the flop house, the blood donor clinic, and qt. i have yet to witness it, but i guess quite a few get picked off each week.
obviously

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:46 pm

servo once totally owned some crazy bitch talking shit on that corner, tom.

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Post by Big Fat Retard » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:02 pm

It's not an intersection, but I've noticed that west of 22nd st in WDM, drivers are extra retarded and they get more retarded the farther west you go. I will never drive within a mile radius of Jordan Creek Mall ever again. Last time I did, I was almost hit by three different people who were driving with cell phones attatched to their ears. If I made the law morons who use cell phones while driving would do three years minimum.
I poop on Petland!

noel_nothing

Post by noel_nothing » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:28 pm

i find des moines to be an easy drive. cedar rapids on the other hand, should be nuked off the face of the earth.

teedotjaydot

Post by teedotjaydot » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:12 am

cottage grove and 31st.

i've seen so many accidents there over the years due to people trying to cross 31st at those stop signs.

more cars flipped upside down than i care to recall.
i need a shower, a shave and maybe a song with a melody

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:42 am

i take a left every morning on that baby. I think the biggest problem is people on the other side of 31st not indicating which direction they are going, or a person traveling down 31st has a blinker on but doesn't turn. People take lots of chances to get out of that pit of hell.

WebSkunk

Post by WebSkunk » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:21 pm

Not an intersection but headed south on MLK where it's 2 lanes then there's a slight curve to the right and a 3rd lane opens on the right... people from the left lane ALWAYS move into the center as that is curving.

SE 14th/Park/Indianola area is stupid like Ryan said.

And in front of Central Campus the one way going north to connect at Ingersoll... headed west on Grand people from every lane will try to turn right there even though there is a clearly marked turning lane.
huh?

Wheatstache
Superhero

Post by Wheatstache » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:39 pm

I was one of two cars who stopped for the lady that got killed when a car hit her on her bike right near the Hy Vee at SE 14th and Park Ave. about a year and a half ago. She was face down in the gutter with her bike on top of her. Most of the cars in front of us were driving around her, except for the dude right in front of us. After that a bunch of high schoolers parked at the Hy Vee to hang out and watch her get rolled over by the paramedics. They were acting really disrespectful and seemed highly entertained. It was a bad experience all around.

So that happened at that intersection.
Seriously

tylerjames515

Post by tylerjames515 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:13 pm

WebSkunk wrote: And in front of Central Campus the one way going north to connect at Ingersoll... headed west on Grand people from every lane will try to turn right there even though there is a clearly marked turning lane.
This is definately pretty shitty.
Rooster wrote:cant worship the devil unless you are 21 now

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:02 pm

tylerjames515 wrote:
WebSkunk wrote: And in front of Central Campus the one way going north to connect at Ingersoll... headed west on Grand people from every lane will try to turn right there even though there is a clearly marked turning lane.
This is definately pretty shitty.
this one is weird. for years the far 2 right lanes have been turning lanes. then they put up a sign that the left 2 were straight and the far right was turning. then they took the sign down so i assume it went back to the way it was. im still lost on when 2 lanes are turning (the far left lane when turning right) almost always turn into the far right lane which pushes the car in to the right lane onto the sidewalk. so yeah agreed its a shitty intersection.

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:12 pm

my favorite one to hate isnt even an intersection. on university in front of drake towards the west probly 29th? the city put in a stop light for pedestrians. theres already stoplights at 28th and 31st. so now cars have to stop for any person that wants to cross to get to their parked cars across the street. it pisses me off to no end.

WebSkunk

Post by WebSkunk » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:32 pm

I avoid University there for that reason. Drake kids are the worst pedestrians too.
huh?

Wheatstache
Superhero

Post by Wheatstache » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:34 pm

WebSkunk wrote:Drake kids are the worst.
Seriously

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:38 pm

Also, that stop light on Univ. and Polk Blvd, where the light is like 100yards away from where you stop, and people turn out from 51st or whatever it is going either direction. I go through reds constantly there.

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:41 pm

My parents live half a block north of the Uni and Polk Blvd intersection. Going south from 47th, there is a stop sign AND a stop light. What the fuck? I always ignore the stop light, just watch out for fucking idiots STOPPING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE INTERSECTION, and go.

-Joe.

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:02 pm

intersection at hubbell and euclid i think; two lane roads and hubbel crosses diagonally. weird one.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats" - H. L. Mencken

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:02 pm

weird.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats" - H. L. Mencken

Wheatstache
Superhero

Post by Wheatstache » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:07 pm

Joe wrote:My parents live half a block north of the Uni and Polk Blvd intersection. Going south from 47th, there is a stop sign AND a stop light. What the fuck? I always ignore the stop light, just watch out for fucking idiots STOPPING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE INTERSECTION, and go.

-Joe.
That has always confused the hell out of me. I basically do the same as you though.
Seriously

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:12 pm

@nonymous wrote:intersection at hubbell and euclid i think; two lane roads and hubbel crosses diagonally. weird one.
by the taco johns and firehouse? yeah it is weird but i dont think theres that many accidents?

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Post by servo » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:59 pm

inx515xhell wrote:servo once totally owned some crazy bitch talking shit on that corner, tom.
what'd i do? i was probably stoned and dont remember this
Tu vir nunc es, canis

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:06 pm

servo wrote:
inx515xhell wrote:servo once totally owned some crazy bitch talking shit on that corner, tom.
what'd i do? i was probably stoned and dont remember this
crazy bitch yelling shit at traffic. you shouted "shut the fuck up, bitch" and she had the most priceless look on her face. we were stoned, beej was there.

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Post by servo » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:30 pm

ahhhh yes, i remember that now
fuck her
Tu vir nunc es, canis