More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Landscaping Software?

Post by El Rhino » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:09 pm

Do any of you have any decent landscaping software programs? I've got some shit in mind this spring, but I'm having a hard time visualizing it. Micah?

joseph

Re: Landscaping Software?

Post by joseph » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:12 pm

im not sure but i think better homes and garden used to have a free cheapy on their website.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:16 pm

I see they have a deck designer on there, which will be helpful too. Thank you.

Joey Chaos
Destroy!

Post by Joey Chaos » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:20 pm

Do they have the internet in Mexico?

HAHAHA, I came acrossed this on google!

http://landscapebusinesstrainingcenter. ... d.php?t=12

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:50 pm

Joey Chaos wrote:Do they have the internet in Mexico?

I need a vision, not a pair of little brown dickskinners to handle a shovel.

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:01 pm

i think i have an old version of something downstairs, i'll check. What you want to do? I spent 3 summers working that shit.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:06 am

I want to re-do the flower bed thing in front of my house. Right now there's some fucked up wood, rocks, no weed blocker and some bushes. I want to keep the bushes, dig out the rocks, put new wood in, some weed blocker and replace the rocks with wood chips/bark. That part will be pretty simple and straight forward.

In my back yard I have a deck. I've got a couple small rock beds against my house and some bushes and a few other fucked up plants off the side of my deck (it's a two story deck). I'm thinking of putting some lattice on one side of the deck and I'd like to put some sort of a border and bedding around the bushes and get rid of a couple of the plants that will come up later in the season. I want to put an actual border around the rock beds against my house and some plants, get rid of the rock and replace with wood chips (or more tasteful rock). I also want to put wood chips underneath my deck because it's nothing but dirt under there and when it rains it creates mud and the dog likes to go under there, thus tracking in mud.

So anyways, the thing that's stumping me is whether or not everything is going to tie in. I'm not sure what I want to use for the border (brick or wood ties) or what I should plant.

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:46 am

yeah, rock sucks. Grubbin' out rock sucks even more. I have a couple of suggestions, maybe take the rock you grub out and put it under the deck with some weed barrier? This would take care of trying to get rid of the rock, the mud, and any weeds that might try growing under there. Putting wood chips on top of of weed barrier is sometimes a bad idea because it tends to get blown off. 4-6 inches of mulch will block weeds from growing, a person could also sprinkle some anti-emergant (sp) down first, that will stop the weeds the first year. Some weeds will grow inside the mulch but those pull out easy. you might have to put a fresh layer of mulch every few years,
but that just looks good. What kind of plants you want?

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:00 pm

Yeah, I thought about putting the rocks underneath the deck, but I wonder if that would look kind of tacky if I used wood chips in a border bed alongside the deck. Since it's a two story deck, underneath it is very visable. As far as plants go, I'm still not sure. I need some more for planters on my deck and a few more for the new beds I plan on. I guess I need to start flipping through some books or perusing Earl May when the season actually hits.

joseph

Post by joseph » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:09 pm

i buy my garden stuff at http://www.seedsavers.org/
they got flowers and plants as well. i like hostas for foilage. they dont require much maintenance and for being such a small plant they can really cover a lot of area.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:13 pm

joseph wrote:i buy my garden stuff at http://www.seedsavers.org/
they got flowers and plants as well. i like hostas for foilage. they dont require much maintenance and for being such a small plant they can really cover a lot of area.

I had some hostas in a bed, but I'm putting a shed over this bed this weekend. It's kind of a shady spot, so they did pretty well there. My grandma has more hostas than she knows what to do with, so I'll always have a steady source of them. Thanks for the link, it looks pretty good.

joseph

Post by joseph » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:17 pm

i think everybodys grandma has too many. theyre easy to split too. my favorite thing about seedsavers is theyre in decorah, im gonna try to make a visit this year.