More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

@nonymous

Lost

Post by @nonymous » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:45 pm

best show ever made. discuss.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats" - H. L. Mencken

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Re: Lost

Post by Joe » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:49 pm

You're wrong. discuss.

-Joe.

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:50 pm

i respect your opinion, inferior as it may be. the discussion continues. . .
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats" - H. L. Mencken

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:55 pm

i've only scene the first 4 episodes, those were pretty solid, i want to see more

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:02 pm

RED DWARF = BEST SHOW.

-Joe.

moltar

Post by moltar » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:03 pm

No, but it's not bad. A lot of the characters have become one-dimensional and the show has become less broad and more focussed. Hopefully the show's future resolutions won't kill interest.

Beaver

Post by Beaver » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:07 pm

Hate this show. When is cloverfield monster making his cameo?

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:07 pm

moltar wrote:No, but it's not bad. A lot of the characters have become one-dimensional and the show has become less broad and more focussed. Hopefully the show's future resolutions won't kill interest.
this season has a different format than the rest, as will the 5th and 6th. definitely some weak episodes here and there but overall, great writing.

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:09 pm

beaver wrote:Hate this show. When is cloverfield monster making his cameo?
fuck you dude. cloverfield was awful.

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:13 pm

Cloverfield was fun.

-Joe.

joseph

Post by joseph » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:34 pm

Beaver wrote:Hate this show. When is cloverfield monster making his cameo?
season 1, 2 & 3. been mentioned in season 4 already.

i hate lost like i hated the sopranos. its got potential and i keep watching waiting for it to fail. every episode comes just too short or too far from failing or winning. i hate walt. i hate his pathetic father. i hate the actor that plays michael. i want him beheaded on the show so he cant come back...

supernatural & life = best current shows on tv.

moltar

Post by moltar » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:50 pm

@nonymous wrote:
moltar wrote:No, but it's not bad. A lot of the characters have become one-dimensional and the show has become less broad and more focussed. Hopefully the show's future resolutions won't kill interest.
this season has a different format than the rest, as will the 5th and 6th. definitely some weak episodes here and there but overall, great writing.
Yeah, it's pretty solid. I enjoy mercilessly offing characters and mindblowing pointless twists. I just wish, whether it's the actors or the writers fault, that they wouldn't let the characters fall stagnant. After all, they went to all the work dedicating full episodes to developing them.

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:29 pm

moltar wrote:mindblowing pointless twists.......the characters fall stagnant
what twists did you find pointless and what characters do you think have fallen short?

Walking Thunder

Post by Walking Thunder » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:41 pm

I don't watch Lost but in my opinion Mad Men is the best show on TV right now.
-John
Doomed to endure and prevail.

Darrin

Post by Darrin » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:12 am

I wouldn't say Lost is the best show ever made, but I fucking love it. It's in my top 5 for sure.

aeon grey

Post by aeon grey » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:22 am

I have watched episodes here and there for a while now... Mindy was really into watching the old seasons on ABC.com.. but it really doesn't entertain me. About anything on TV right now makes me just want to sleep...

I did watch hamburger hill last night. and fell asleep.

elliot
Represent!

Post by elliot » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:48 am

To me, Lost is just one big cocktease. I absolutely hate the concept of a show being meant to keep you guessing and agonizing over what's going on. Now, I've never watched entire episodes in succession, but I know enough to know that there is not much payoff, just mostly a bunch of "What the fuck" stuff. And I HATE that.

Also, it relies a ton on flashbacks, which is just annoying.

Just because a TV show is complicated and takes entire seasons for anything to make sense, does not make it the best TV show ever. That is a ridiculous claim, Adam, and I demand that you retract it.

crow

Post by crow » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:59 am

pretty sure reaper is the best show on right now.
"boobiez and buttz"
- u-god of the wu tang clan

aeon grey

Post by aeon grey » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:25 am

Everyone raves about the wire.. I might wait till it all comes out on DVD and just sit and watch the entire thing.

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:57 am

elliot wrote:To me, Lost is just one big cocktease. I absolutely hate the concept of a show being meant to keep you guessing and agonizing over what's going on. Now, I've never watched entire episodes in succession, but I know enough to know that there is not much payoff, just mostly a bunch of "What the fuck" stuff. And I HATE that.

Also, it relies a ton on flashbacks, which is just annoying.

Just because a TV show is complicated and takes entire seasons for anything to make sense, does not make it the best TV show ever. That is a ridiculous claim, Adam, and I demand that you retract it.
your analysis of the show is where you've gone wrong my friend. at first, the vague premise of the show and the first few episodes might frustrate you a bit("okay guys, when do they get off the island. . .") but then you realize that getting off the island is a very small part of it. the character development alone is worth watching. you complain about the flashbacks, but what's not to like? if you want a show about instant gratification, than this is not for you.

it has incredible plot twists, character development, human drama, adventure, mystery. . .i will not retract my statement.

you have to be able to suspend disbelief and enjoy using your imagination for this show. if you are unable to do that, you won't like it.

the fact is, because it's so broad it appeals to almost every demographic, leaving viewers at the end of each episode having to choose between what they believe in: science, or the supernatural?

The Wire(someone mentioned). good show. great writing and a solid cast. now, granted i'm not even through the 1st season yet but to me, no matter how good it gets, it's still a crime story. the best crime story? sure. i can't put it at #1 though.

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:01 pm

for real.

elliot
Represent!

Post by elliot » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:09 pm

It also has polar bears, some hatch with an evil clock that has to be reset, and a cloud of black smoke that kills people.

Goofy shit. No care ever.

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:39 pm

elliot says wrote:It also has polar bears, some hatch with an evil clock that has to be reset, and a cloud of black smoke that kills people.

Goofy shit. No care ever.
elliot means wrote:the show references a group called "the dharma initiative" that, from what we know, conducted animal testing and psychological experiments on the island in the late 70's--of which evidence can be seen today. the island also appears to have supernatural properties, though no conclusions have been drawn yet. i enjoy this show because i don't trivialize and single out individual subplots in an attempt to paint an incredibly complex and intelligent show as "goofy".

my name is elliot, and i love this show.

moltar

Post by moltar » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:25 pm

@nonymous wrote:
moltar wrote:mindblowing pointless twists.......the characters fall stagnant
what twists did you find pointless and what characters do you think have fallen short?
Spoilers from previous shows:
Some odd possibly pointless twists:
*Libby showing up in the mental institution at the end of Hurley's episode.
*Kate having Claire's baby in the flash forward
*Echo going batshit only to be killed by the smoke he earlier stared down (kind of put a damper and the whole building a church noise)
*How Locke's dad got to the island and how it suggests they're all dead

Sawyer is an example of a full character. He has stayed true to his developement. The guy is trying to be a normal person but often falls prey to the character of his past.

Characters who are dropping the ball the most for me are Sayid and Locke. Sayid is supposed to have a hard torturer side and instead has become nothing but a hero character. Locke should be all sorts of screwed up right now. He blew it with a hot Peggy Bundy, has little or no control of anything going on around him, had to have Sawyer do the job he couldn't, really blew it with the whole button deal, whatever. There should be desperation in this character. The guy is really obsessive and part crazy (believes he's on some special path) and I want to see that rather than him just walking around being self righteous.

It is a solid show. Cliff hanger after cliff hanger makes for entertainment, but doesn't make something the best. Read the Da Vinci Code. A cliff hanger every two pages made me want to set the book on fire half way through. They've been mostly good about not over-protecting characters and giving us little peaks at what's going on. As long as they keep giving me something new I'll stay with it.

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:41 pm

moltar wrote:Characters who are dropping the ball the most for me are Sayid and Locke. Sayid is supposed to have a hard torturer side and instead has become nothing but a hero character. Locke should be all sorts of screwed up right now. He blew it with a hot Peggy Bundy, has little or no control of anything going on around him, had to have Sawyer do the job he couldn't, really blew it with the whole button deal, whatever. There should be desperation in this character. The guy is really obsessive and part crazy (believes he's on some special path) and I want to see that rather than him just walking around being self righteous.
Sayid's character does have a hard torturer side, which we've seen many times, but he clearly doesn't like that part of him and has attempted not to show it. if you're speaking strictly 4th season here, clearly the format has changed and each episode focuses on specific things--his episode will come.

Locke's character is clearly connected to the island more than the rest--that is to say, he does what he thinks is best according to what the island "wants" as where the rest of the characters(excluding the others) do things solely based around survival and getting off the island.
It is a solid show. Cliff hanger after cliff hanger makes for entertainment, but doesn't make something the best. Read the Da Vinci Code. A cliff hanger every two pages made me want to set the book on fire half way through. They've been mostly good about not over-protecting characters and giving us little peaks at what's going on. As long as they keep giving me something new I'll stay with it.
of course there are cliff hangers, it's tv. there has to be an end to the episode. watching it on DVD does not provide this frustration--in fact, i think what you're calling cliff hangers should more appropriately be called climax.

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:48 pm

when does hurley explode?

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:52 pm

joseph wrote:when does hurley explode?
just watch.

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:55 pm

when does it come back on? do i have to wait months again?

april 24th. nevermind

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:59 pm

i think it's april 24th. 5 more episodes.

Joey Chaos
Destroy!

Post by Joey Chaos » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:59 pm

All I'll say, is that if I was on that island, I would have shot Locke 3/4 of a season ago.