More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

inx515xhell

Re: Next big Iowa band

Post by inx515xhell » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:35 pm

Varg wrote:Post script- ask me how many bands from Iowa sent in demos that I "listened to" and threw away...you know in between my coffee fetching time and all.
TELL THOSE FAGGOTS TO LEARN TO SEND OUT THE RIGHT GOD DAMN ORDERS.
y'know, next time you're bringing them coffee.

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:36 pm

also, what does that even mean?
varg has getting signed to prosthetic on LOCKDOWN.

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:39 pm

inx515xhell wrote:also, what does that even mean?
varg has getting signed to prosthetic on LOCKDOWN.
why would you name your label prosthetic. the word just makes me think prosthetic/fake

not that im making fun of a label ive never heard of or know what bands are on said label or that i pay much attention to labels and contracts anyway

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Post by servo » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:40 pm

hey has balloon boy been discussed in this thread yet? it turns out he was just in the attic
Tu vir nunc es, canis

moltar

Post by moltar » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:26 pm

Varg wrote:Don't see how anyone can argue against that, as you didn't even say anything. u mad?

Post script- ask me how many bands from Iowa sent in demos that I "listened to" and threw away...you know in between my coffee fetching time and all.
I'M ROID RAGING, BRO!

How many bands from Iowa sent in demos that you "listened to?"

Nick

Post by Nick » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:02 pm

servo wrote:hey has balloon boy been discussed in this thread yet? it turns out he was just in the attic
CNN!!

Also, Fred, the bassist in Facecage, is a pretty cool dude even if the band is completely awful. He used to be in my buddies band in high school and even back then he was a pretty good bassist.

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:45 pm

Nick wrote:
Also, Fred, the bassist in Facecage, is a pretty cool dude even if the band is completely awful. He used to be in my buddies band in high school and even back then he was a pretty good bassist.
i was hoping beaver would weigh in first but ..... you really need to go to more shows

Varg
Failed DMACC

Post by Varg » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:18 am

DaVo wrote: This idea that there is all this money in touring is complete fantasy. Unless the band is at the level where they are playing large venues, touring is a money losing situation. I have yet to come in contact with an indy band that makes huge profits on the road. Most in fact only survive on the road with merch sales and tour support they get from the label.
I didn't say there is "all this money in touring"...I said the majority of their money comes from touring/merch. Touring is not always a losing situation. Why do you think GWAR tours 360 days out of the year? And I hate to break it to you, but bands aren't getting tour support at all now. If your van breaks down and you can't afford to get it fixed, you're done with that tour. If a venue screws you over on your guarantee, well that sucks, better crash at somebody's house who doesn't mind you eating their food.
Labels are in so deep with some artists, they're being incredibly stingy with anything less than their top dogs. It's pretty unfortunate.
But all that said, the bands that care divulge any information to me have told me that they still net a few k's each tour. Don't forget they get to write off their gas, lodging, and a few other expenses so whatever they make essentially is all take-home.
I'm not saying that a band can't manage themselves especially if they are a small indy band but reality is that they are limiting the amount of success they will see in the future. It's a who you know business regardless of what you think and there is an indy glass ceiling that they are going to hit. So hey if you aren't interested in running with the big dogs and getting big then sure sign to a small label, sign away your publishing, give away your ticket sales and your merch and let them control your career. Just don't be surprised if you get to the end and realize that someone else owns your music and your dead broke. Look at all those artist that made no money during their career but long after the band was dead and gone, have been lucky enough to make money off their publishing and masters by selling songs for ads, movies and TV. With 360 deals or the Polyphonic model bands and artist would be out of the profit and without control over how and when their music will be sold. Publishing is the future and the real money.
Again, I will reference Metal Blade. If you become ''too big'' for an indy label they will typically let you go for a variety of reasons. Slagel did that with Metalica, Goo Goo Dolls, Slayer, and a few others. They're never trapped. Even if a label wouldn't let them out for some reason, the band could very easily hire an entertainment attorney (they should already have one) to get them out pretty easily(this falls under that 'a variety of reasons' thing I just mentioned...)

And good God, you're not "signing away your publishing, giving up your ticket sales/merch sales, and letting them control your career". You just have no idea, guy. I will reference Cellador/Metal Blade here- Slagel TOLD them to get an attorney to go over the contract with them before signing it. I've looked through the contract, it was a whooping 15 pages of straightforward no-non-sense legal jargin- (as opposed to the 100+ page contracts I've seen for some major label artists where it takes them two paragraphs just to state their own address.)
If a band can't figure out whether or not they want to retain their publishing rights (actually its usually what PERCENTAGE of their publishing rights) after it's been explained to them, then honestly, they deserve everything they get.
---success in social interaction lies in making them afraid to see you disapprove

Varg
Failed DMACC

Post by Varg » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:21 am

inx515xhell wrote: TELL THOSE FAGGOTS TO LEARN TO SEND OUT THE RIGHT GOD DAMN ORDERS.
y'know, next time you're bringing them coffee.

Explain? John (Funeral Pyre) is the one who sends out all the orders.
---success in social interaction lies in making them afraid to see you disapprove

Varg
Failed DMACC

Post by Varg » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:24 am

moltar wrote:
I'M ROID RAGING, BRO!

Zero, I didn't listen to them, I threw them away. Actually, I probably would've listened to the "first few seconds".

I think Only sent something on the myspace, but it was a generic plea they seemed to expect wouldn't be responded to. I think Destrophy did something similar as well.

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Post by Big Fat Retard » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:36 am

Varg wrote:
moltar wrote:
I'M ROID RAGING, BRO!

Zero, I didn't listen to them, I threw them away. Actually, I probably would've listened to the "first few seconds".

I think Only sent something on the myspace, but it was a generic plea they seemed to expect wouldn't be responded to. I think Destrophy did something similar as well.
Any chance the High Rollers can get on your label?
I poop on Petland!

moltar

Post by moltar » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:54 am

If Cellador sent me a demo, I'd break that junk into tiny little pieces.

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:15 am

moltar wrote:I'd break that junk into tiny little pieces.

moltar

Post by moltar » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:06 pm

Cool gimmick. How much folk crust does a person have to listen to for them to want to name their child after a master of the universe?

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Post by servo » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:28 pm

did james name his kid man-at-arms?
Tu vir nunc es, canis

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:27 pm

perhaps i was agreeing with you nate...

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:30 pm

no, we named her 'he man'...
i don't listen to folk...
i don't really listen to crust...
what is folk crust???
what do i listen to???

moltar

Post by moltar » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:39 pm

Dystopia's all acoustic split with Kenny Loggins...

I think that sheds light on most of those questions...

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:55 pm

...l...o...l...

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Post by servo » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:23 pm

hey james
congratulations
Tu vir nunc es, canis

jjjsXe

Post by jjjsXe » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:04 pm

Varg wrote:

Wow, It is great to know that your awesome record company supports the music so honestly and give bands a bit of a chance. You guys run quite a fair business over there, not elitist at all! Way to support music!
abortions for some, miniature american flags for others

Bullet Tooth
One Man Wall of Death

Post by Bullet Tooth » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:14 pm

its great to know that varg takes his spite out during the performance of his job. youre a true professional, brother.

JoePreppy
Go Go Gadget Shoe Phone

Post by JoePreppy » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:57 pm

Varg wrote: You said jackfuck- AND then said somebody else talks like a bitch? LOL- you truly are the 98 lb weakling. Come talk to me like that in person sometime and we'll see how permanent that trendy little tattoo of yours is.
K, then I could check out that fairy on your ankle and gecko on your shoulder? Trendy? :lol: yeah all the brodudes and hipsters are beating down the doors getting an 'ohm's power wheel' tattoo to cover up their tribal arm bands. oh Varg you pathetic shithead you truly are reaching.

Varg
Failed DMACC

Post by Varg » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:59 am

jjjsXe wrote:

Wow, It is great to know that your awesome record company supports the music so honestly and give bands a bit of a chance. You guys run quite a fair business over there, not elitist at all! Way to support music!

LOL FAIR?!? What do you think this is, P.E. kickball?? No wonder you all have absolutely NOTHING, you expect everything to be handed to you on a silver platter in the name of ''fairness''.

JoePreppy wrote: K, then I could check out that fairy on your ankle and gecko on your shoulder? Trendy? :lol: yeah all the brodudes and hipsters are beating down the doors getting an 'ohm's power wheel' tattoo to cover up their tribal arm bands. oh Varg you pathetic shithead you truly are reaching.
Sorry, but tattoos are for fags, much like yourself. You might as well have gotten a giant penis or "conpasion" tattooed on your forehead.
The best part of your response was that you don't even realize how ironic it was that you were making fun of people for getting tribal armband tattoos when you got something just as equally lame. Think you're the only person with that tattoo? Let's give it a year and see how you feel...and who you identify with then.

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:20 am

*compensation.
i have tattoos. my dick is bigger than yours.....
and it's tattooed.
epic win.

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:59 am

so what was this name again nate?

JoePreppy
Go Go Gadget Shoe Phone

Post by JoePreppy » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:23 pm

Varg wrote: Think you're the only person with that tattoo? Let's give it a year and see how you feel...and who you identify with then.
bwahahaha start the countdown faggot!

DARKBASS

Post by DARKBASS » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:04 am

The future of music that reaches far and wide is in the hands of the artists themselves. If you can join with a company and make a team that helps both the company and the band, that's the reason to sign. Bands that are in it with the priority to make money seem to quit after 1-2 years, no matter if they think they "make it" or not.

Brian Slagel is someone in the music industry who has kept his integrity and credibility through many years of work, that is pretty excellent.
MARK'O'WAR

BIll

Post by BIll » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:54 pm

Anyone remember the band from the Kids In The Hall that spent the entire time talking about "making it" instead of practicing?

Thats what I think of every time I see bands like this.

noel_nothing

Post by noel_nothing » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:41 pm

i remember rod torkelson's armada featuring herman menderchuck.