More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

ilikehorses
Fun\Death Dealer

Re: Mustard Plug?

Post by ilikehorses » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:31 pm

Joey Chaos wrote:
ilikehorses wrote:and on the driving sacrifice vs money sacrifice, it is all about what people will and will not do to support the scene. you will not risk getting another ticket, i will not dish out extra money for bands i don't like. it's not a bigger sacrifice, it's a matter of what matters to each individual. again, why does it bother you so much that we won't pay 12 bucks for this ska band that peaked in 1999?
There is absolutely no comparison between me going to jail and losing my license for two years, and someone paying 12 dollars to go to a show, you stupid fuck.
the fact is you are creating boundaries and rules about what is and what is not supporting the scene, as if you were the authority on the subject, based on the fact that 12 bucks for some old ska band is too much money. these guys you said yourself are not supporting the scene book bands every week and play shows a whole, whole bunch. theyre doing a lot for the scene. but apparently because they won't go to one show, they aren't scene enough for you.
Even today, I can't see a car run a red light without instantly having an image flash into my head of a man's erect penis, penetrating a watermelon.

UGH I SUCK

crow

Post by crow » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:34 pm

ed, the discussion hasn't been about MP for almost the whole thread.
"boobiez and buttz"
- u-god of the wu tang clan

Joey Chaos
Destroy!

Post by Joey Chaos » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:36 pm

Did you miss the part where I said that wasn't completely directed at you? Cause it's there.

And yes, if 12 bucks is too much for you, don't go. It's the fact that, in the case that you like the band, 12 bucks is too much for you, that proves you don't support the bands/scene.

ilikehorses
Fun\Death Dealer

Post by ilikehorses » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:38 pm

crow wrote:ed, the discussion hasn't been about MP for almost the whole thread.
my argument with joey has been. because i said i wouldn't pay 12 bucks for MP. then he jumped all over my shit about it, saying i wasn't supporting the scene by not going to the show. i've been trying to explain, and have pointed out numerous times i feel, that i don't like MP and don't want to go to their show, but i would pay extra money for a band i like. and that's not good enough for joey.
Even today, I can't see a car run a red light without instantly having an image flash into my head of a man's erect penis, penetrating a watermelon.

UGH I SUCK

ilikehorses
Fun\Death Dealer

Post by ilikehorses » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:39 pm

Joey Chaos wrote:Did you miss the part where I said that wasn't completely directed at you? Cause it's there.

And yes, if 12 bucks is too much for you, don't go. It's the fact that, in the case that you like the band, 12 bucks is too much for you, that proves you don't support the bands/scene.
or it's the fact that 12 bucks is too much for you. it has nothing to do with supporting the scene. nothing.

UGH I SUCK

Joey Chaos
Destroy!

Post by Joey Chaos » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:43 pm

Ed you fucking idiot, I never said anything to you in the first place. I took a shot at Joe, and you and Thom did the jumping all over. And yes, a couple of bucks being the difference between whether you go out and see a band or not DOES have everything to do with supporting the scene.

ilikehorses
Fun\Death Dealer

Post by ilikehorses » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:46 pm

Joey Chaos wrote:Ed you fucking idiot, I never said anything to you in the first place. I took a shot at Joe, and you and Thom did the jumping all over. And yes, a couple of bucks being the difference between whether you go out and see a band or not DOES have everything to do with supporting the scene.
i didn't back up joe or start shit-talking you. goddamn, just look back in the thread. i simply stated that i didn't want to pay 12 bucks for some band i don't like that you pulled out
Joey Chaos wrote:I think the important point that has been made is that Joe, Ed, Thom and all of their friends are a bunch of whiny crybabies that care more about a few bucks than the very scene that they claim to support.
and youre the authority of supporting the scene?

UGH I SUCK

Joey Chaos
Destroy!

Post by Joey Chaos » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:49 pm

I bet I've been to more shows, played more shows and booked more shows than you, Joe or Thom combined. I don't go to shows now, because very few bands I like play around here (and I can't get my license back yet), it has nothing to do with the door price, smoke, the venue, etc.

Furious D

Post by Furious D » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:54 pm

Thom wrote:You don't know me, don't pretend to know what I put into the music I make. I can take all the butt hurt comments, but if you think I'm half in this, or here for a trend you are dead fucking wrong.
Not impressed.
....just kidding.

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:24 pm

Joey Chaos wrote:H'YUCK H'YUCK.
-Joe.

Thom

Post by Thom » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:35 pm

this is silly.

what I am saying, is that when bands like colonizer get uptight about money, its insane....because we don't deserve to be playing rockstar. We don't need the extra $200. Gas money will suffice.

There is a difference between giving a band gas money, and giving a band a shit load of money because they think they are the next big thing. If $5 door prices are going to get them to the next town, then why must the show cost $15?

I'm not saying I'm unwilling to pay bands...I'm not saying I'm unwilling to pay door prices. I'm not trying to have a pissing contest about who goes to more shows. These are the only points I'm trying to make, don't assume anything.

I'm done posting in this thread. If you want to assume what I "mean" and not read what I actually wrote, go on ahead. I think a large majority of what I posted was taken the wrong way, as Joseph stated.

Mouth of The Architect Rules.

robdigi

Post by robdigi » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:56 pm

People were paying $5 to see a show 10-20 years ago. These days money doesn't go nearly as far as it used to, so you're lucky a touring band only asks for $12.

The least I've paid to see a no-name band in a bar in the past 3 years is $8.. which I still consider cheap.

If you don't think the band is worth it, that's fine- but you can't expect bands to price the door according to your approval of them.
All that's missin' is the retired band teacher with the self-inflicted gunshot wound!

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:10 pm

Thom wrote:. If $5 door prices are going to get them to the next town, then why must the show cost $15?

That's just it.... $5 door prices aren't going to get them to the next town....

On the subject of Mustard Plug charging $12, it should be noted that Mustard Plug has more members and equipment compared to the average four-piece. Deals Gone Bad, who are apparently opening for them/playing with them is in the same boat.

If you can't afford $12, I welcome you to come over to my place and pull weeds out of my flower beds. No one has any excuses now, so pull out your plaid pants, two-tone suspenders and porkpie hats with ska band pins!

Bullet Tooth
One Man Wall of Death

Post by Bullet Tooth » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:44 am

you should all be ashamed you participated in this argument.

goddamn.

crow

Post by crow » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:40 am

Thom wrote:If $5 door prices are going to get them to the next town, then why must the show cost $15?

because some people have more costs than just making it to the next town.
"boobiez and buttz"
- u-god of the wu tang clan

carbon

Post by carbon » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:19 am

Mustard Plug are a touring band who are like 50 now, probably sick of losing money which is obviously their own problem. but who gives a shit. you hear about a show and its price than you decide to go. end of story. why this thread keeps going is ridiculous.

Hell that show on monday at the mews was $8 and i had never heard of them before.

P.S. since we are complaining about overpriced shows lets move to the real problem....THE VAL AIR. its like 30 bucks to see Flogging Molly, Panic at the Sucko was like $35. Fuck that shit. Thats fuckin nuts for some "punk" bands.
eat me.

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:53 pm

@nonymous wrote:who the fuck is mustard plug?
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats" - H. L. Mencken

Clint

Post by Clint » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:12 pm

Joe wrote: 100 won't show.
-Joe.

93 paid to see Deals Gone Bad last time they were in town. Sure, it was only $5, but Mustard Plug is a much bigger band than Deals Gone Bad.

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:17 pm

you know how some people dont care for rap, i dont care for skA. im only saying it now cause i finally found out who mustard plug is.

xkristyx
I <3 Pizza

Post by xkristyx » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:37 am

I leave the internet for 2 months and come back to the WORST THREAD EVER.

Ladd, I'd go see Mustard Plug just to spite everyone here. I'll pay $13.

xkristyx
I <3 Pizza

Post by xkristyx » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:39 am

Furious D wrote:
Thom wrote:You don't know me, don't pretend to know what I put into the music I make. I can take all the butt hurt comments, but if you think I'm half in this, or here for a trend you are dead fucking wrong.
Not impressed.
god I wish somebody had a gif of Larry David saying "YOU DON'T KNOW ME!"

Thom

Post by Thom » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:51 am

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:32 pm

joey chaos wrote:shit about supporting "the scene" like a billion times. . .
THERE IS NO SCENE.

a few kids that wear patches, go to shows and bitch about things on a message board isn't a scene. sorry. des moines will probably never have a decent community. why? because people who want to be apart of a community leave Iowa.*

i came on here for some entertainment folks, not to see threads of pseudo-punks trotting their egos around one another.

maybe i'm just upset because mustard plug is really really terrible name.

*this by no means implies that i don't support going to shows and supporting bands. all of that is still great, i just don't think we'll ever have a substantial "scene" here.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats" - H. L. Mencken

jjjsXe

Post by jjjsXe » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:32 pm

@nonymous wrote:
THERE IS NO SCENE.

a few kids that wear patches, go to shows and bitch about things on a message board isn't a scene. sorry. des moines will probably never have a decent community. why? because people who want to be apart of a community leave Iowa.*

i came on here for some entertainment folks, not to see threads of pseudo-punks trotting their egos around one another.

maybe i'm just upset because mustard plug is really really terrible name.

*this by no means implies that i don't support going to shows and supporting bands. all of that is still great, i just don't think we'll ever have a substantial "scene" here.
we are working with what we have and having a blast while doing it, fuck off and go eat a burger. don't come to any knuckled down shows
abortions for some, miniature american flags for others

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:45 pm

@nonymous wrote:
THERE IS NO SCENE.

yes there is.

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:50 pm

@nonymous wrote: THERE IS NO SCENE.
i do think this is your worst post ever. if youre fishing for entertainment which most of us are. this isnt entertaining.
theres shows, bands and people that go to shows regularly. thats my definition of scene. im kinda thinking you had a different point to make?

aeon grey

Post by aeon grey » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:01 pm

I love when people try to define what a "scene" is...

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:04 pm

aeon grey wrote:I love when people try to define what a "scene" is...
...go..

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:15 pm

jjjsXe wrote:we are working with what we have and having a blast while doing it, fuck off and go eat a burger. don't come to any knuckled down shows
i didn't say shows weren't a blast and that people shouldn't continue to go to them. on the contrary, i was commenting on the amount times "the scene" is brought up on here, particularly this thread by one or two individuals and how much bickering there is over it, when in fact there appears to be little sense of community. you misunderstood me.
joseph wrote:theres shows, bands and people that go to shows regularly. thats my definition of scene. im kinda thinking you had a different point to make?
well, we have different definitions of a scene. that's okay too. see above for my point.

Clint

Post by Clint » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:31 pm

So is Mustard Plug and Deals Gone Bad gonna play the Mews or what?