More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Re: Something Creepy Waterloo Way Comes...

Post by El Rhino » Sat May 10, 2008 4:08 pm

...but we love you because you're half Screech

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Mon May 12, 2008 1:18 pm

This thread is a week ahead of The Register's initial report on this. The Register sucks. The 1.5" they compressed from the margins makes me feel like i'm reading the Johnston High School "Black & White". The content is just about as good.

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon May 12, 2008 2:30 pm

Hank Fist wrote:This thread is a week ahead of The Register's initial report on this. The Register sucks.
agreed

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon May 12, 2008 5:34 pm

i forgot, did this raise meat prices last time?

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon May 12, 2008 5:42 pm

“Source 1” told federal agents that some employees were running a methamphetamine lab in the plant, and were bringing weapons to work. The supervisor confronted a higher-level manager about the drugs, and shortly after was fired.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/p ... S/80512012

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Mon May 12, 2008 6:06 pm

Oh, Postville. Those are the Hasidic Jews who came from Brooklyn about fifteen years ago, bought a slaughterhouse, turned it into a Kosher slaughterhouse and then brought in a bunch of illegals to work there.

The book "Postville" is pretty good and worth reading. Right now the town is about one third white "Iowegian", one third Hasidic Jew and one third Hispanic. The author of the book is a reform Jew from San Fransisco who comes pretty much thinking that the locals are all backwards, racist hicks who hate the J00z for no reason, but after being there for a little bit he starts to take the case of the locals over the Hasidic Jews. Kind of interesting to read about their interactions, as small town Iowa and Jews from NYC are about as opposite as you can get in this country.

Walking Thunder

Post by Walking Thunder » Mon May 12, 2008 6:07 pm

-John
Doomed to endure and prevail.

noel_nothing

Post by noel_nothing » Tue May 13, 2008 1:14 am

a bunch of people were protesting in front of the grounds today. a few counter protestors were waving american flags & one guy who kept driving by had a 'go ice' sign on his car. kinda wish i had went down to see the goings on but i was power raking & fertilizig my folks lawn.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Tue May 13, 2008 1:29 am

noel_nothing wrote:i was power raking my folks lawn.

Bad idea at this point. All you're going to do is stir up weed seeds and make it easier for weeds to germinate.

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Tue May 13, 2008 9:44 am

El Rhino wrote:
noel_nothing wrote:i was power raking my folks lawn.

Bad idea at this point. All you're going to do is stir up weed seeds and make it easier for weeds to germinate.
Good tip. Didn't know that. But i do hate lawn care. We started using my neighbors old fashion push mower, you know with no motor. It works really well, actually.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Tue May 13, 2008 10:04 am

Yeah, power raking is best done in the earlier part of the spring (before weeds start to germinate) or later in the fall. Same with aeration.

I've looked into an old rotary lawnmower, but I imagine it would probably take quite a while to mow my yard with one. Those are usually better for your yard than a conventional mower. I see sometimes Menards has them on sale, but I imagine you could probably get a decent one cheap off Ebay or something.

joseph

Post by joseph » Tue May 13, 2008 10:40 am

i like the old rotary mowers quite a bit. when i was 9-12 years old i used to mow 2 acres a weekend with one. watch out for dogshit tho. if you can find the 70s ones they are better, much lighter than the older "vintage" ones. i havent used the newer ones like whats at menards. i just cant bring myself to spend a hundred bucks on one when you can buy a gas powered for the same price.

sad part of my story is my grandma had 4 of them and she sold them all at a swap meet for 25 bucks total to someone that was gonna hang them in a famous daves type restaurant. buck.

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Tue May 13, 2008 11:50 am

El Rhino wrote: I've looked into an old rotary lawnmower, but I imagine it would probably take quite a while to mow my yard with one.
The area they mow is the about the same, and it moves as fast as you walk, so there really isn't a huge difference in time. It's nice not to have a really loud mower going when you're outside trying to do stuff. My neighbors on both sides actually use the electric mowers, which seem ok, but draggin behind the power cord is a huge turn off for me. I'm going to start a spring projects thread here soon, i just finished my deck.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Tue May 13, 2008 3:56 pm

I'm waiting for your thread.

noel_nothing

Post by noel_nothing » Tue May 13, 2008 9:11 pm

since we had such a long winter, i dont think power raking right now will hurt much. the lawn looks much better now that all that dead grass & thatch is gone. the fertilizer i put down was from scott's & it has the plus 2 weed control in it. now the big trick is getting rid of the creeping charlie in the backyard. i got some stuff for it, but its my folks yard & they're the ones who will need to keep up with spraying it about every 2 weeks.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Tue May 13, 2008 9:52 pm

noel_nothing wrote:since we had such a long winter, i dont think power raking right now will hurt much..

That doesn't matter. You will stir up weed seeds and create areas for weeds to germinate. Scott's weed control will only kill what's up at the time (in theory), so yeah, they're going to have to watch for new weeds shortly. Creeping charlie, or "wondering Jew" as it's known by some people is really hard to kill because it has a waxy coating on it. If you're gonna spray, spray right after it rains or water it first for best results.

jjjsXe

Post by jjjsXe » Tue May 13, 2008 10:45 pm

wow this thread got real boring real fast.i guess this is what happens when we set aside our differences and find some sort of common ground..but lawnmowers...yard care...come on!
abortions for some, miniature american flags for others

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Wed May 14, 2008 1:44 am

Some of us are grown-ups with grown-up things to do, I guess.

It would be sweet if they threw all those rabbis in jail for hiring the illegals. How's that?

noel_nothing

Post by noel_nothing » Wed May 14, 2008 11:31 am

i think they said that almost 300 were from guatamala(sp?) & 93 were from mexico. there were a few from israel & the ukraine too.

i agree with ryan. the people who hire them & act like they didn't know they were illegal immigrants should do some time.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Thu May 15, 2008 8:35 am

El Rhino wrote:
They're not taking the jobs we won't take, they're taking the wages we won't take.

Looks like they were getting $5 for their first few months and a "raise" to $6 an hour after that.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/p ... 12012/1001

noel_nothing

Post by noel_nothing » Thu May 15, 2008 11:40 pm

El Rhino wrote:
El Rhino wrote:
They're not taking the jobs we won't take, they're taking the wages we won't take.

Looks like they were getting $5 for their first few months and a "raise" to $6 an hour after that.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/p ... 12012/1001
5 FUCKIN' DOLLARS!?!?!?! thats not fit to pay a lab rat! the owners of this company need to do some time in a south american jail.

robdigi

Post by robdigi » Fri May 16, 2008 11:46 am

All that's missin' is the retired band teacher with the self-inflicted gunshot wound!

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Fri May 16, 2008 3:26 pm

The Electric Park Ballroom was built in 1934 and has hosted Jimmy Dorsey, Glen Miller, and Guy Lombardo, Conway Twitty, The Everly Brothers, Dion, Johnny & The Hurricanes and the annual 4th Street Cruise 50's 60's Sockhop which is scheduled for May 24

Haha, sounds lovely.

Interesting news site, never seen it. Sweet avatar, btw.