Places and Times to Mosh in the Near Future

Moderators: Joe, ABOMB515, Darrin

jason

Re: BUILDING BETTER BOMBS (feat. POS) - MEWS - FRI JAN 9TH

Post by jason » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:06 pm

facebook event:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=4 ... 346&ref=mf

anybody wanna help invite/manage for this?

jason

Post by jason » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:15 pm

printing/distributing flyers today. five days before the show. in full transparency. age of internet promotion. may joe strike me down if i am wrong, i am hoping people know about this farking show. though in all fairness, i distributed flyers to sir tj wood of 515/MPLS fame for the mews/best place this weekend.

i hope this show goes well! any under-agers please get in touch and i'll see what i can do.

Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:52 pm

the tanks are good

and joe ross is a psychlord so go to this if you are into punk and shit

jason

Post by jason » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:55 am

this shit is technically just TWO DAYS AWAY MUFFUCKAZ

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Post by servo » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:54 pm

do i go to this or streetlight manifesto in omaha?
Tu vir nunc es, canis

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:14 pm

servo wrote:do i go to this or streetlight manifesto in omaha?
chance isnt playing that

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:48 am

ivascuitis

jason

Post by jason » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:01 pm

oh man i was wastered this morning.

note to self: have a beer or two. not that, then whiskey.

thanks for braving the weather to those who came out! it actually went pretty well, or as well as i could have hoped. the shivers should be fun, too, and hopefully there'll be more good gigs this year. going to work on more all ages.

also thinking about approaching botanical center again!

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:06 pm

There was a lot of standing around at this show. zzz.

-Joe.

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Post by servo » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:38 pm

jason -still alive

show would have ripped it at the basement. as was by 1:30 or whenever when building better bombs went on i wasnt awake enough to enjoy them as much as i should have.
Tu vir nunc es, canis

teedotjaydot

Post by teedotjaydot » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:06 pm

Joe wrote:There was a lot of standing around at this show. zzz.

-Joe.
servo wrote:jason -still alive

show would have ripped it at the basement. as was by 1:30 or whenever when building better bombs went on i wasnt awake enough to enjoy them as much as i should have.
would you guys have hung out in the front room the whole time at the HB then whined about it?

HA

this show was thoroughly good.

everyone killed it.

totally pumped at how many people showed up in spite of the weather.
i need a shower, a shave and maybe a song with a melody

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:09 pm

When we you asked if we had been hanging out there all night and we said "yeah", we were lying. We were there for two minutes tops. Sorry dwag, I was inside headbanging to Monstro and the Tanks. I watched this entire show. And, yeah, it was just a bunch of people standing around. Don't freak out! You might spill your drinks!

-Joe.

jason

Post by jason » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:30 pm

Huh?

I had fun. Great show. Totally agree with TJ. I wish it would have been earlier and all ages but we'll work on that next time. Building Better Bombs didn't even leave MPLS until 7 PM anyhow. It's a Friday night, deal with it.

Time to go out for Girl Talk and do it all again, but 5 PM load in means a much earlier show. The late shows for Friday and Saturday nights are to be expected. the 21+ thing bothers me, but it is what it is.

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:43 pm

I'm saying place+time attracted a really boring crowd.

-Joe.

teedotjaydot

Post by teedotjaydot » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:34 pm

Joe wrote:When we you asked if we had been hanging out there all night and we said "yeah", we were lying. We were there for two minutes tops. Sorry dwag, I was inside headbanging to Monstro and the Tanks. I watched this entire show. And, yeah, it was just a bunch of people standing around. Don't freak out! You might spill your drinks!

-Joe.
turn on your sarcasm-meter there broseph.

take a joke.

also, what's wrong with actually watching a band play instead of freaking out the whole time? i thrashed around at shows for years, but now i stand and appreciate what the bands are giving me. if that's "not wicked" then whatever.
Joe wrote:I'm saying place+time attracted a really boring crowd.

-Joe.
so you really think that if you were to take this same show and put it 5 hours earlier at the HB it would have been that much different from what happened last night?

everyone i talked to had a bitchin time, except for you apparently.

i love the HB. i love the fact that it exists and i hope it's around for a good long while, but you need to realize that it isn't this holy grail of show spaces that makes magic happen out of nothing. just because it's "punk rock" doesn't mean it's better. and i'm not saying the VM is the end-all-be-all either, there's a give and take between both places.

none of the bands were disappointed in how things went last night, i didn't hear a one of them say "damn, wish this woulda been a house show..." so why are you so anti-venue?

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:43 pm

teedotjaydot wrote:
also, what's wrong with actually watching a band play instead of freaking out the whole time? i thrashed around at shows for years, but now i stand and appreciate what the bands are giving me. if that's "not wicked" then whatever.
It's hardcore punk dude. :shock: :shock:
so you really think that if you were to take this same show and put it 5 hours earlier at the HB it would have been that much different from what happened last night?
Oh god yes. Kids would've flipped shit for Building Better Bombs.... instead a really boring crowd just standing there while the other half of the attendees sat at or around the bar.
i love the HB. i love the fact that it exists and i hope it's around for a good long while, but you need to realize that it isn't this holy grail of show spaces that makes magic happen out of nothing. just because it's "punk rock" doesn't mean it's better. and i'm not saying the VM is the end-all-be-all either, there's a give and take between both places.
Building Better Bombs would've been better at the Haunted Basement. The end.
none of the bands were disappointed in how things went last night, i didn't hear a one of them say "damn, wish this woulda been a house show..." so why are you so anti-venue?
I'm not anti-venue. I'm anti-this-show-at-this-place-because-of-this-time. Get that through your head.

-Joe.

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Post by servo » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:54 pm

this is my opinion. your opinions have been stated and they are wrong...

i think BBB would have rather played to twice as many people standing around in the back room at the HB than the meager crowd up front at the mews. especially if kids were tearing it up.

i always, always feel kinda bad about des moines when bands play the VM to 20 people because theres usually just all that empty space.

and call me lame but i just cant hack it at 2 am. this is due to poor diet more than anything but still this is me and my needs needs to be respected.

i am also very curious how much money j brizz had to pay bands after his 80% past $75... i'm guessing at the HB he'd have around $150-$200. i don't know how many people paid and with a lot coming and going he probably did do decently but its nice not to have to sweat paying the venue when youre dealing with shows of this size...

please don't respond to any of this. this is the internet, which is my domain. on the internet i have the final say and its been said.

so shut the fuck up
Tu vir nunc es, canis

elliot
Represent!

Post by elliot » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:32 pm

Let's not forget the fact that Building Better Bombs would have sounded awful at Haunted Basement.

teedotjaydot

Post by teedotjaydot » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:09 pm

elliot wrote:Let's not forget the fact that Building Better Bombs would have sounded awful at Haunted Basement.
hadn't even gotten into that aspect yet.

jason

Post by jason » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:55 am

I am going to do everything I can to push forward with all ages legislation in the area, but it's this sort of divisive attitude that I can't tolerate, as I find it to be anti-DIY. I never seek to be exclusionary.

I plan on working with Rock Iowa and DSM Music Coalition on this. Sound, venue, all ages. These things are crucial. I don't think we need a new venue, I think we need them to realize our needs, here.

That being said, I love the Mews and all the bands had a great time and were paid fine and knew what was going on with full transparency, as I always tend to do.

sams

Post by sams » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:56 am

jason wrote:I am going to do everything I can to push forward with all ages legislation in the area, but it's this sort of divisive attitude that I can't tolerate, as I find it to be anti-DIY. I never seek to be exclusionary.

I plan on working with Rock Iowa and DSM Music Coalition on this. Sound, venue, all ages. These things are crucial. I don't think we need a new venue, I think we need them to realize our needs, here.

That being said, I love the Mews and all the bands had a great time and were paid fine and knew what was going on with full transparency, as I always tend to do.
we are actually pretty close... should have some changes in the law this year. Hit me up if you want to know all the details.

Furious D

Post by Furious D » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:03 am

This show was great.
....just kidding.

Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:47 pm

no offense to you elliot but i think a band like BBB would sacrifice sound for a good crowd, and i didnt even stick around for them cause it was too late and the ride with the tanks there really tired me out.

the sound at VM that night was kind of awful for Monstros set, wayyy too much highs, no bass and the vocals werent loud enough through half the set but i guess the sound dude was new so what THE FUCK EVER MOTHER FUCKER EEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

elliot
Represent!

Post by elliot » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:01 pm

No offense to you, but there would have been maybe 25 paying people at Haunted Basement. There were at least 50 at the Mews. That's a no brainer, good sir, no matter how many punk points you'll get for taking the former option.

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Post by servo » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:15 pm

i thought i told each of you jerks not to post anything else in this thread. fuck me.
Tu vir nunc es, canis

Furious D

Post by Furious D » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:52 pm

Captain Caveman wrote:no offense to you elliot but i think a band like BBB would sacrifice sound for a good crowd, and i didnt even stick around for them cause it was too late and the ride with the tanks there really tired me out.

the sound at VM that night was kind of awful for Monstros set, wayyy too much highs, no bass and the vocals werent loud enough through half the set but i guess the sound dude was new so what THE FUCK EVER MOTHER FUCKER EEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

No offense to you, good sir, but I'm not so sure that you know what you are talking about. Ever. So if you would be so kind as to shut the fuck up every once in a while, I'm sure it would be much appreciated by a number of people.
....just kidding.

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Post by servo » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:01 pm

*will take d lamb more seriously when his noise tape comes out*
Tu vir nunc es, canis

Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:06 pm

servo wrote:*will take d lamb more seriously when garageband recorded elliot smith covers are cool again*

moltar

Post by moltar » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:23 pm

Anyone can adjust our PA. We can even throw the power amp on if needed. Otherwise if bands sound like shit at the HB, it's on them.

Furious D

Post by Furious D » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:09 pm

Captain Caveman wrote:
servo wrote:*will take d lamb more seriously when garageband recorded elliot smith covers are cool again*
There you go again not knowing what you are talking about. The only thing I have ever recorded on is a 4-track tape recorder. Not that it matters at all, since you are about the last person I will ever be trying to impress. But thanks for the feedback anyway (no pun intended).
....just kidding.