More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

Thom

Re: Mustard Plug?

Post by Thom » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:51 pm

El Rhino wrote:Maybe the problem is you and your unwillingness to give up your resources for "sustainable DIY communities". Remember, you get what you pay for.
This is ridiculous and you know it. I'm just saying bands shouldn't be total cocksuckers. If bands don't want to play the places we book shows, they shouldn't ask. I don't beg bands to play the haunted basement. 90% of the time bands ask to play there because they hear about having fun.

Please refer to my previous post, where I say paying a band because they are awesome and paying a band because they are douches that "demand" things are two different stories.

I'm not unwilling to give up anything. I'm unwilling to work with douchy pieces of garbage who think their brand of metalcore is the hottest new shit to grace a 5 inch stage.

You don't know me, don't pretend to know what I put into the music I make. I can take all the butt hurt comments, but if you think I'm half in this, or here for a trend you are dead fucking wrong.

Joey Chaos
Destroy!

Post by Joey Chaos » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:58 pm

And I'm just saying that people who aren't on tour and are working their everyday steady job shouldn't be cocksuckers about paying more than 5 bucks to get into a show if they truly want to see the band. DIY is about supporting the scene, which is based on music. If 3-5 bucks makes the difference between whether you go to a show or not, than you don't know shit about supporting the scene.

joseph

Post by joseph » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:04 pm

Thom wrote:[The point I'm making more is that there is a big difference when a promoter pays out of pocket voluntarily because its the courteous thing to do, and it is an acceptable loss....and when a band FORCES a promoter to pay out of pocket.

I know we are all a lot smarter than this argument. I'm bored of it already. no one's opinion is going to change.

Aside from monetary issues, Today Is The Day was not good. I think Mouth Of The Architect was redeeming however.
yeah i know were smarter too.
but "FORCES" is a lot different than "its in the contract".
my point was - why would you bring nates show into the disussion of shows being overpriced?

Joey Chaos
Destroy!

Post by Joey Chaos » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:08 pm

I think the important point that has been made is that Joe, Ed, Thom and all of their friends are a bunch of whiny crybabies that care more about a few bucks than the very scene that they claim to support.

ilikehorses
Fun\Death Dealer

Post by ilikehorses » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:11 pm

Joey Chaos wrote:And I'm just saying that people who aren't on tour and are working their everyday steady job shouldn't be cocksuckers about paying more than 5 bucks to get into a show if they truly want to see the band. DIY is about supporting the scene, which is based on music. If 3-5 bucks makes the difference between whether you go to a show or not, than you don't know shit about supporting the scene.
or it means that he doesn't want to spend a lot of money on shows.

if every or even most shows were more than five bucks, it'd be hard to get a lot of people to go to shows. i personally would go to even fewer shows than i already go to. because when i go see a good band, i buy merch and donate to the band. i can't do that two or three times a week, especially if i have to pay 12 bucks to get in the place.

i'm not really sure why youre so upset that joe and thom don't want to pay more than five bucks to see a band. if theyre not willing to pay it, they probably just won't go to the show(s). seems like it's a non-issue.
Even today, I can't see a car run a red light without instantly having an image flash into my head of a man's erect penis, penetrating a watermelon.

UGH I SUCK

ilikehorses
Fun\Death Dealer

Post by ilikehorses » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:13 pm

Joey Chaos wrote:I think the important point that has been made is that Joe, Ed, Thom and all of their friends are a bunch of whiny crybabies that care more about a few bucks than the very scene that they claim to support.
since when is mustard plug a part of our scene? how would dishing out 12 bucks to see some ska band going to help our scene?
i think youre getting all upset over fucking nothing.
yeah, i don't want to pay 12 bucks to see most shows. why are you whining so much today?
Even today, I can't see a car run a red light without instantly having an image flash into my head of a man's erect penis, penetrating a watermelon.

UGH I SUCK

joseph

Post by joseph » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:14 pm

Thom wrote:This is ridiculous and you know it. I'm just saying bands shouldn't be total cocksuckers. If bands don't want to play the places we book shows, they shouldn't ask.
you should stop. youre diggin deeper & i dont think you mean to.
how is a band sposd to know what a place is like when theyve never been?
Thom wrote:I'm not unwilling to give up anything. I'm unwilling to work with douchy pieces of garbage who think their brand of metalcore is the hottest new shit to grace a 5 inch stage.
todayistheday is handled by a booking agency and uses a contract. they are not diy.

mouth of the architect is coming back to mews in august?

Joey Chaos
Destroy!

Post by Joey Chaos » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:20 pm

Noones talking about Mustard Plug specifically, it's a hypothetical conversation. I agree, if you don't wanna pay the door price don't go. That in short is a lack for support of the scene. If venues were asking 20 bucks to see an "underground" band, it would be another story. There's nothing wrong with an extra 4,5,6 bucks, since the price of just about everything is through the roof.
Last edited by Joey Chaos on Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joseph

Post by joseph » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:22 pm

Joey Chaos wrote:Noones talking about Mustard Plug specifically, it's a hypothetical conversation.
BTW good job.

ilikehorses
Fun\Death Dealer

Post by ilikehorses » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:27 pm

Joey Chaos wrote:Noones talking about Mustard Plug specifically, it's a hypothetical conversation. I agree, if you don't wanna pay the door price don't go. That in short is a lack for support of the scene. If venues were asking 20 bucks to see an "underground" band, it would be another story. There's nothing wrong with an extra 4,5,6 buck, since the price of just about everything is through the roof.
really? i'm pretty sure this is the Mustard Plug thread where we were talking about Mustard Plug specifically.

and i guess i can't make it to every show and 15 dollar shows, so i'm not supporting the scene! come on, you know damn well that people can't go to every show. so missing the expensive shows is not supporting the scene? or not enough? that's a weak argument.

UGH I SUCK

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:27 pm

Thom wrote:
This is ridiculous and you know it. I'm just saying bands shouldn't be total cocksuckers.

You don't know me, don't pretend to know what I put into the music I make. I can take all the butt hurt comments, but if you think I'm half in this, or here for a trend you are dead fucking wrong.
Maybe the DIY scene shouldn't be total cocksuckers. Seriously, man, you look at bands playing the Haunted Basement and think "do these guys really need that much money?" and I'm willing to bet that no band comes out of the Haunted Basement or any place like that "swimming in loot".

I never said anything about "knowing you" or what you "put into the music you make". Honestly, I don't care. Nothing personal. You've already proven that you can't take "butt hurt comments" and no one has questioned your "dedication to the scene", although I must say that your last sentence is truly inspiring.

Anyways, I'm just glad I'm not in a situation where I have to piss and moan about $12 covers and a matter of a couple dollars doesn't dictate what I'm going to do that night. XfinanciallystableX

Joey Chaos
Destroy!

Post by Joey Chaos » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:31 pm

ilikehorses wrote:
Joey Chaos wrote:Noones talking about Mustard Plug specifically, it's a hypothetical conversation. I agree, if you don't wanna pay the door price don't go. That in short is a lack for support of the scene. If venues were asking 20 bucks to see an "underground" band, it would be another story. There's nothing wrong with an extra 4,5,6 buck, since the price of just about everything is through the roof.
really? i'm pretty sure this is the Mustard Plug thread where we were talking about Mustard Plug specifically.

and i guess i can't make it to every show and 15 dollar shows, so i'm not supporting the scene! come on, you know damn well that people can't go to every show. so missing the expensive shows is not supporting the scene? or not enough? that's a weak argument.
I never said anything about going to every show, and I never said anything about 15 dollar shows. 10-12 bucks isn't that much for a touring band that's been around for a long time, and if you don't go to shows solely because the price is a few dollars more, than no, you're not supporting the scene.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:32 pm

PS: Mustard Plug still sucks.

I would possibly go to this show if there was nothing else going on that night just to see what a Mustard Plug show in 2008 looks like for myself.

joseph

Post by joseph » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:32 pm

El Rhino wrote:XfinanciallystableX
LOL best use of XX ive ever seen

ilikehorses
Fun\Death Dealer

Post by ilikehorses » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:43 pm

Joey Chaos wrote:
ilikehorses wrote:

I never said anything about going to every show, and I never said anything about 15 dollar shows. 10-12 bucks isn't that much for a touring band that's been around for a long time, and if you don't go to shows solely because the price is a few dollars more, than no, you're not supporting the scene.
that's bullshit and you know it. not going to a show because it's 12 bucks and that band isn't worth 12 bucks to a person isn't not supporting the scene.
how about this: not going to shows because you live 90 miles away and don't have a license is not supporting the scene. you don't want to sacrifice to make it to a show, i don't want to sacrifice to see a band i don't want to see. man, why is the fact that i don't want to dish out 12 bucks for Mustard Plug such a big deal to you?

UGH I SUCK

ilikehorses
Fun\Death Dealer

Post by ilikehorses » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:47 pm

El Rhino wrote: Anyways, I'm just glad I'm not in a situation where I have to piss and moan about $12 covers and a matter of a couple dollars doesn't dictate what I'm going to do that night. XfinanciallystableX
for me, as much as i am not so financially stable, it's not a matter of 12 bucks breaking me. it's a matter that an extra 7 bucks for a band i have no interest in isn't something i want to do. if it was a band i was really into, then i would dish out the extra cash. but mustard plug? maybe ten years ago.

UGH I SUCK

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:56 pm

ilikehorses wrote:
for me, as much as i am not so financially stable, it's not a matter of 12 bucks breaking me. it's a matter that an extra 7 bucks for a band i have no interest in isn't something i want to do. if it was a band i was really into, then i would dish out the extra cash. but mustard plug? maybe ten years ago.

Duh. Technically I wouldn't pay $3 to see a band I wasn't into (although I do from time to time just for something to do).

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:57 pm

who the fuck is mustard plug?
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats" - H. L. Mencken

Joey Chaos
Destroy!

Post by Joey Chaos » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:58 pm

ilikehorses wrote: that's bullshit and you know it. not going to a show because it's 12 bucks and that band isn't worth 12 bucks to a person isn't not supporting the scene.
how about this: not going to shows because you live 90 miles away and don't have a license is not supporting the scene. you don't want to sacrifice to make it to a show, i don't want to sacrifice to see a band i don't want to see. man, why is the fact that i don't want to dish out 12 bucks for Mustard Plug such a big deal to you?
Noones talking about Mustard Plug, and if a band you like isn't worth 12 bucks to you, then no, you don't support that band, or the scene.

I've gotten caught driving while suspended 3 times going to work (I work all over the state), if I get caught driving again, not only will I go to jail, but my license will get barred for two years, I got one charge reduced, or it already would be. That's a much more substantial sacrifice.

joseph

Post by joseph » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:58 pm

@nonymous wrote:who the fuck is mustard plug?
+1

Wheatstache
Superhero

Post by Wheatstache » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:59 pm

You guys should start a religion.
Seriously

joseph

Post by joseph » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:00 pm

Wheatstache wrote:You guys should start a religion.
CHURCH OF BURTON

ilikehorses
Fun\Death Dealer

Post by ilikehorses » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:08 pm

Joey Chaos wrote:
ilikehorses wrote: that's bullshit and you know it. not going to a show because it's 12 bucks and that band isn't worth 12 bucks to a person isn't not supporting the scene.
Noones talking about Mustard Plug, and if a band you like isn't worth 12 bucks to you, then no, you don't support that band, or the scene.

I've gotten caught driving while suspended 3 times going to work (I work all over the state), if I get caught driving again, not only will I go to jail, but my license will get barred for two years, I got one charge reduced, or it already would be. That's a much more substantial sacrifice.
when did i say i wouldn't pay 12 bucks for a band i like? in fact, read again, i said just a couple messages ago that i WOULD pay an extra seven bucks for a band i like.
and, yes, look again, this thread is about Mustard Plug. the whole argument has been about no one wanting to pay 12 bucks for MUSTARD PLUG!

UGH I SUCK

joseph

Post by joseph » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:12 pm

ilikehorses wrote: the whole argument has been about no one wanting to pay 12 bucks for MUSTARD PLUG!
really? then i retract every post except for my first.

Wheatstache
Superhero

Post by Wheatstache » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:12 pm

Get off Ed's back. He's gonna buy me a lightsaber, so don't bust his balls for that $12.
Seriously

ilikehorses
Fun\Death Dealer

Post by ilikehorses » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:13 pm

and on the driving sacrifice vs money sacrifice, it is all about what people will and will not do to support the scene. you will not risk getting another ticket, i will not dish out extra money for bands i don't like. it's not a bigger sacrifice, it's a matter of what matters to each individual. again, why does it bother you so much that we won't pay 12 bucks for this ska band that peaked in 1999?

UGH I SUCK

ilikehorses
Fun\Death Dealer

Post by ilikehorses » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:14 pm

Wheatstache wrote:Get off Ed's back. He's gonna buy me a lightsaber, so don't bust his balls for that $12.
TRUTH!

UGH I SUCK

Joey Chaos
Destroy!

Post by Joey Chaos » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:16 pm

You have to be the dumbest fucking person alive. I am well aware that the thread was originally about Mustard Plug, stupid. However you apparently aren't aware that the argument is about people bitching about show prices as a whole, not about the price of the Mustard Plug show, that's just what brought it up. I' also aware that you never said you wouldn't go see a band you like for 12 bucks, but other people involved in the thread did. I don't think you used to be this stupid, but you're sinking fast.

hypothetical
One entry found.

hypothetical

Main Entry:
hy·po·thet·i·cal Listen to the pronunciation of hypothetical
Pronunciation:
\ˌhī-pə-ˈthe-ti-kəl\
Function:
adjective
Date:

: being or involving a hypothesis : conjectural <hypothetical arguments> <a hypothetical situation>
— hypothetical noun
— hy·po·thet·i·cal·ly Listen to the pronunciation of hypothetically \-ti-k(ə-)lē\ adverb

Main Entry:
hy·poth·e·sis Listen to the pronunciation of hypothesis
Pronunciation:
\hī-ˈpä-thə-səs\
Function:
noun
Inflected Form(s):
plural hy·poth·e·ses Listen to the pronunciation of hypotheses \-ˌsēz\
Etymology:
Greek, from hypotithenai to put under, suppose, from hypo- + tithenai to put — more at do
Date:
circa 1656

1 a: an assumption or concession made for the sake of argument b: an interpretation of a practical situation or condition taken as the ground for action2: a tentative assumption made in order to draw out and test its logical or empirical consequences3: the antecedent clause of a conditional statement

That help any?

Joey Chaos
Destroy!

Post by Joey Chaos » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:20 pm

ilikehorses wrote:and on the driving sacrifice vs money sacrifice, it is all about what people will and will not do to support the scene. you will not risk getting another ticket, i will not dish out extra money for bands i don't like. it's not a bigger sacrifice, it's a matter of what matters to each individual. again, why does it bother you so much that we won't pay 12 bucks for this ska band that peaked in 1999?
There is absolutely no comparison between me going to jail and losing my license for two years, and someone paying 12 dollars to go to a show, you stupid fuck.

ilikehorses
Fun\Death Dealer

Post by ilikehorses » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:29 pm

Joey Chaos wrote:You have to be the dumbest fucking person alive. I am well aware that the thread was originally about Mustard Plug, stupid. However you apparently aren't aware that the argument is about people bitching about show prices as a whole, not about the price of the Mustard Plug show, that's just what brought it up. I' also aware that you never said you wouldn't go see a band you like for 12 bucks, but other people involved in the thread did. I don't think you used to be this stupid, but you're sinking fast.

hypothetical
One entry found.

hypothetical

Main Entry:
hy·po·thet·i·cal Listen to the pronunciation of hypothetical
Pronunciation:
\ˌhī-pə-ˈthe-ti-kəl\
Function:
adjective
Date:

: being or involving a hypothesis : conjectural <hypothetical arguments> <a hypothetical situation>
— hypothetical noun
— hy·po·thet·i·cal·ly Listen to the pronunciation of hypothetically \-ti-k(ə-)lē\ adverb

Main Entry:
hy·poth·e·sis Listen to the pronunciation of hypothesis
Pronunciation:
\hī-ˈpä-thə-səs\
Function:
noun
Inflected Form(s):
plural hy·poth·e·ses Listen to the pronunciation of hypotheses \-ˌsēz\
Etymology:
Greek, from hypotithenai to put under, suppose, from hypo- + tithenai to put — more at do
Date:
circa 1656

1 a: an assumption or concession made for the sake of argument b: an interpretation of a practical situation or condition taken as the ground for action2: a tentative assumption made in order to draw out and test its logical or empirical consequences3: the antecedent clause of a conditional statement

That help any?
nothing makes me giggle more than you, joey fucking chaos, trying to call me stupid.
first you say "don't want to pay the price, don't go," then you say "if you don't go to the show, you're not supporting the scene." youre fucking whining for no reason.
and like you have any room to complain about who is and is not supporting the scene.
over and over again, i have said i would not pay 12 bucks for Mustard Plug, not that i wouldn't pay 12 bucks for any band. it seems like youre the dumb one that can't figure this shit out.

UGH I SUCK