More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

DaVo

Re: bitching about places i miss

Post by DaVo » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:53 pm

joseph wrote:RIVER HILLS
Yeah I saw so many great movies there including all the Star Wars. It was so much better then the stadium seating theaters they have now.
I paid my dues but I lost my Receipt.

joseph

Post by joseph » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:56 pm

DaVo wrote:
joseph wrote:RIVER HILLS
Yeah I saw so many great movies there including all the Star Wars. It was so much better then the stadium seating theaters they have now.
stadium seating sucks. digital movies suck. digital animation sucks. hd tv sucks. digital sucks

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:35 am

Barn'rds.

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:40 am

Hank Fist wrote:Barn'rds.
they had great lemonade

Tom

Post by Tom » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:24 am

people's music @ 24th and univ, when beth thyken worked there.

hairy mary's version 1.0.

bammie's pizza.

all 7-11's.

that chinese place that was located @ 2414 univ that got replaced by another chinese place.

tait's @ 42nd and univ.

the yellow curb.

z international...huge dance club next to the cop shop that had all you could drink (actual drinks, not just crap keg beer) for 5 bucks on wednesdays. they had ok shows now and then as well. i remember the overrated house of large sizes getting their asses handed to them by their openers, voodoo gearshift, on a regular basis. ...and the old, deaf dude who would 'dance' right in front of the subwoofers because he could only 'feel' the bass. the staff at this place were complete tools, but that made it even more fun.
obviously

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:10 pm

Didn't Z International get shut down due to some shootings or something?

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:11 pm

Tom wrote:people's music @ 24th and univ, when beth thyken worked there.

hairy mary's version 1.0.

bammie's pizza.

all 7-11's.

that chinese place that was located @ 2414 univ that got replaced by another chinese place.

tait's @ 42nd and univ.

the yellow curb.

z international...huge dance club next to the cop shop that had all you could drink (actual drinks, not just crap keg beer) for 5 bucks on wednesdays. they had ok shows now and then as well. i remember the overrated house of large sizes getting their asses handed to them by their openers, voodoo gearshift, on a regular basis. ...and the old, deaf dude who would 'dance' right in front of the subwoofers because he could only 'feel' the bass. the staff at this place were complete tools, but that made it even more fun.
That was Music Circut, Peeple's was in two locations next to Tait's in the uptown plaza till it moved to the location on 42 and University.

Yeah I miss Tait's, that HyVee Drugtown sucks.

From the Drake Area I guess I should include Orlando's(Tuesday and Thursday $2 pitchers of Mich Dark), Pizza Bob's and YoVille but I think You, Jeff and I are the only one's old enough to remember those.

Never was a big fan of Z but the Wednesday night $5 all you can drink was fun. A good place to get completely Fucked up and laugh at all the New Romanics and Industrial fucks. It was always so great how Z Man bummed them all out and he had some moves, let me tell you. I did hang out at the old Mary's for a while after it opened and then kind of faded away.

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:32 pm

wasnt peoples next to taits like a precursor to the dollar stores? i thought tom was talking about what was across from git n go on the corner...

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:45 pm

Hy-Vee Drugtown has the cheapest beer prices around and amazing sale prices on good beer.

RECKLESS
I don't really miss it that much, everything was overpriced and the guy was kind of a jerk to me all the time, but the name was cool and the hippy was a good character to have around.

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:45 pm

Q102
107DOT5

-Joe.

crow

Post by crow » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:23 pm

joseph wrote:wasnt peoples next to taits like a precursor to the dollar stores? i thought tom was talking about what was across from git n go on the corner...

peoples was next to reckless in the stripmall before being on the corner.
"boobiez and buttz"
- u-god of the wu tang clan

Tom

Post by Tom » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:46 pm

DaVo wrote:That was Music Circut
i was wondering if i got the name right.

i was going to include orlondo's on univ. the place on park has the same crap, but is farther way. best salads ever. worst live music ever.

yo'ville was cool. it smelled like cat shit, but it was a good place for a 17 y/o to go and drink crap beer. watching the mentors terrorize people there was sweet. i once gave dave grohl a ride there after the scream show @ the botan.

never forget...black label @ nolan plaza. props to davo for bringing his ghetto blaster down there and providing the soundtrack to myself, mateo, and others as we removed the paint from the benches with our powell peralta sk8s. railslides rock!
obviously

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:50 pm

i remember when the city put those stupid armrests and metal strips across the benches at nolan. i also remember going back down at night with screwdrivers and using trucks as hammers trying to get the things off

disc jockey in southridge

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:09 pm

crow wrote:
joseph wrote:wasnt peoples next to taits like a precursor to the dollar stores? i thought tom was talking about what was across from git n go on the corner...

peoples was next to reckless in the stripmall before being on the corner.
and before that it was in that strip on the west side of the parking lot along 42nd st.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:23 pm

Tom wrote:
DaVo wrote:That was Music Circut
i was wondering if i got the name right.

i was going to include orlondo's on univ. the place on park has the same crap, but is farther way. best salads ever. worst live music ever.

yo'ville was cool. it smelled like cat shit, but it was a good place for a 17 y/o to go and drink crap beer. watching the mentors terrorize people there was sweet. i once gave dave grohl a ride there after the scream show @ the botan.

never forget...black label @ nolan plaza. props to davo for bringing his ghetto blaster down there and providing the soundtrack to myself, mateo, and others as we removed the paint from the benches with our powell peralta sk8s. railslides rock!
Yeah nothing like sitting on the couch in mid summer and counting the flys on Yo ville's celling. Oh and Iva torturing Hans with beer. That fucking incredible collection of records Beth had and watching Troy Urich light the rump dragon. good times. That huge callander on the wall by the door with all the shows on it.

I think I pretty much lived at Noland from 84 or 85 till 88. Great people, music, lose women and lots of fun. You know the funny thing about the benches and them trying to ban skateboarding at Noland is that they told us that was the only place in Downtown you could skate. It was when they banned skating on sidewalks. The city also said they were going to build a skatepark. That was 20 years ago and they still have gotten done building the new one.

A couple more for the old fucks, Vinyl Fetish, The Fish Place, Salzman Supersports and Daren Stouts basement skate shop.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:30 pm

joseph wrote:i remember when the city put those stupid armrests and metal strips across the benches at nolan. i also remember going back down at night with screwdrivers and using trucks as hammers trying to get the things off

disc jockey in southridge
I forgot about that place. Also the Record Store out there and at MerleHey. There was this guy that managed the SR one and he stocked all this Johnny Thunders, Dolls and UK stuff you could find anywhere else. Most of the other record stores like Music Circut and Vinyl Fetish handled only the US Hardcore stuff and tended to be more on the Yo Pos side. They'd have a Crass or Subhumans record but your went going to find Stiff Little Fingers or UK Subs.

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:36 pm

Also, Archives.

Wheatstache
Superhero

Post by Wheatstache » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:38 pm

Mustards on SW 9th.
Seriously

Chivas

Post by Chivas » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:05 pm

Wheatstache wrote:Mustards on SW 9th.

We used to trade food with them when I worked @ henry j's in high school.. Breaduex's pizza too.

Another thing is the blue lights at the airport when you used to get to park there.

Anyone remember the name of the go-kart place on S.E. 14th next to walmart before they built it?

Blu gills off 63rd and grand

robdigi

Post by robdigi » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:47 pm

Music Circuit was cool, I went record shopping there with my dad when I was a little kid. Whenever I smell musty old records I have memories of that place.

Bishops (in MHM) was so gross. I saw so many cockroaches while eating there. I think my experiences there as a child still influence my perception of old folks.. meaning they make me think of liver and onions and cockroaches.

The elephant slide at Richmond Gordman's was sweet. I still have the Legend of Zelda trophy that I got from there when I was 5.

I miss the Kwik Shop on the corner of 86th and Harbach. It's the place where I cut my teeth pwning nubz in Street Fighter II. Star crunch and Chun-li.
All that's missin' is the retired band teacher with the self-inflicted gunshot wound!

Tom

Post by Tom » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:21 pm

the fish place...used to watch ritual of agony (featuring the future ex-mrs. andy levy) on the cat box. i was never sure what that place was about. do/did they sell fish? if so, i'll take a dozen feederz (not the band), because me-frogs be hungry-n-shit.

i also remember going to faces on mh road. it was the only bar i could get into as a minor, and the hanson brothers look-a-like bartender was sub-par at best.
obviously

Clint

Post by Clint » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:02 am

Beaver wrote:
THeres a little ceasar's up in Sioux Falls.

There is one in Omaha too...

I grew up in Missouri. Little Ceasar's was pretty popular there. In elementary school it seemed like at every single birthday party I went to I ate part of The Bigfoot, that massive rectangular pizza.

Speaking of pizza... I know this isn't a place but I miss the Noid.

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:38 am

robdigi wrote: The elephant slide at Richmond Gordman's was sweet. I still have the Legend of Zelda trophy that I got from there when I was 5.
i feel like we've discussed this, but i remember being there when a kid fell off the slide and the paramedics came. It seems like that was the last time i ever saw my elephant, hippo, and crocodile friends again.

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:42 am

Hank Fist wrote:
robdigi wrote: The elephant slide at Richmond Gordman's was sweet. I still have the Legend of Zelda trophy that I got from there when I was 5.
i feel like we've discussed this, but i remember being there when a kid fell off the slide and the paramedics came. It seems like that was the last time i ever saw my elephant, hippo, and crocodile friends again.
i saw a bunch of kids get thrown off the elephant by other kids. i remember walking back there and catching employees peeing on stuff and having to walk with my mom thru womens clothing instead of playing. i do remember alot of ambulances being there. i also remember being left there while my mom went to kmart across the street.

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Post by Big Fat Retard » Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:50 pm

Boswell's. Best hashbrowns ever

The Phoenix Adult Bookstore

The old downtown library

Smiley. The black dude that used to stand on whatever corner he was at and wave and smile at everybody. Any recent Smiley sightings? I ain't seen him in a couple years.
Last edited by Big Fat Retard on Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I poop on Petland!

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:52 pm

I see Smiley all the time.

-Joe.

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Post by Big Fat Retard » Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:56 pm

Where's he been?
I poop on Petland!

Wheatstache
Superhero

Post by Wheatstache » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:51 am

Big Fat Retard wrote:Boswell's. Best hashbrowns ever
Best breakfast place ever. Unbeatable blueberry pancakes.
Seriously

xkristyx
I <3 Pizza

Post by xkristyx » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:17 am

Smiley's all over Merle Hay. I saw him last week.

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:59 pm

poppin fresh pies