More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

@nonymous

Re: Mews closing in September?

Post by @nonymous » Thu May 15, 2008 4:12 pm

Davo wrote:When or better yet did the Mews ever have a show that sold out?
Kimya Dawson a month ago. i don't know what era you're living in, but shows don't work like they used to around here(when you could sell out the Safari club by booking The Urge). the Mews is by far the best live music venue in town, hands down. saying otherwise presents you as someone severely out of touch with reality.

you passed on booking Propagandhi. you lose. forever.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats" - H. L. Mencken

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Thu May 15, 2008 4:27 pm

Cityview dude said he'd consider getting something going.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Thu May 15, 2008 4:38 pm

@nonymous wrote:
Davo wrote:When or better yet did the Mews ever have a show that sold out?
Kimya Dawson a month ago. i don't know what era you're living in, but shows don't work like they used to around here(when you could sell out the Safari club by booking The Urge). the Mews is by far the best live music venue in town, hands down. saying otherwise presents you as someone severely out of touch with reality.

you passed on booking Propagandhi. you lose. forever.
Like I said, I'm not going out of my way to spend time seeing bands I have no interest in.

Just to clear this up, the Propagandhi show was too much of a risk. They want big money and there wasn't much support for shows at the time. If you want to blame anyone blame yourself for not support the punk shows that were happening around the time.
I paid my dues but I lost my Receipt.

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Thu May 15, 2008 5:02 pm

Davo wrote:Like I said, I'm not going out of my way to spend time seeing bands I have no interest in.
good promoters/venues book a diverse selection of music, not just what they personally "have interest in".

your embarrassing previous attempt to diminish the Mews' impact by asking what you thought was a rhetorical question about the last time they had a sold out show was put to rest--not just with Kimya Dawson either; I've been to a few shows in the last 3 or 4 months that have been close to selling out.

there simply isn't another venue in town doing what they are. not even close.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats" - H. L. Mencken

Nlaffey

Post by Nlaffey » Thu May 15, 2008 6:01 pm

Of Montreal / Poison Control Center show sold out awhile back.

I've seen a few other shows where people were lined up pretty far for the doors to open. Seems like they might have come close to selling out too.

I miss the VMews alot already living up here, I'd like to beable to visit it at the least.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Thu May 15, 2008 6:14 pm

@nonymous wrote:
Davo wrote:Like I said, I'm not going out of my way to spend time seeing bands I have no interest in.
good promoters/venues book a diverse selection of music, not just what they personally "have interest in".

your embarrassing previous attempt to diminish the Mews' impact by asking what you thought was a rhetorical question about the last time they had a sold out show was put to rest--not just with Kimya Dawson either; I've been to a few shows in the last 3 or 4 months that have been close to selling out.

there simply isn't another venue in town doing what they are. not even close.
Did you miss the fact that I'm retired from promoting shows and have been for sometime. I only do shows that interest me because it's about the fun instead of the money and budget. Want to talk diverse take a look at this http://ap.axiompiercing.com/bands.htm it isn't a complete list and is over a 10 year period but I think it will give you an idea.

I'm sorry, but I do not see the Mews as a venue that started anyting. If anything it is just another venue that leached off a music scene that was already established. Sure space for bands to play is a good thing but it's not earth shattering. If you want to go down that road the same could be said of House of Bricks, Shooters Hideaway and countless others. They all do shows that no one else does but would you really miss them if they were gone?

Granted I haven't spent a lot of time at the Mews but I've never gotten a vibe that there is a scene or community that revolves around that place. I've never stoud there and had it hit me that something was happening here. I've had that feeling at countless other venues but never there. There is not a core group of regulars that hit every show. I don't see someone saying in tens years that their scene started at the Mews and withour the Mews we wouldn't be here.

If what you mean by diverse is countless 20 somethings playing retro rehashed SST bands, post punk, progressive rock, noise, and etc.. count me out. I lived through the orginal post punk bullshit and wasn't interested in it at that point and not will subjected myself to it again. I find the whole idea painfully boring.

The thing is that I noticed a long time ago that the music scene is always at it's creative peak and a great deal more interesting when no one is paying attention and there is no where to play. If there is money to be made someone will open a venue and start booking the bands the Mews does. If there isn't any money in it, will there you have the real reason.

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Thu May 15, 2008 7:25 pm

Davo wrote:I lived through the orginal post punk bullshit and wasn't interested in it at that point and not will subjected myself to it again. I find the whole idea painfully boring.
who cares about your tastes? who cares about whether or not an entire scene revolves around one venue? shows of all types of music happen there, period.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Thu May 15, 2008 7:51 pm

@nonymous wrote:
Davo wrote:I lived through the orginal post punk bullshit and wasn't interested in it at that point and not will subjected myself to it again. I find the whole idea painfully boring.
who cares about your tastes? who cares about whether or not an entire scene revolves around one venue? shows of all types of music happen there, period.
Like I said easy come, easy go. Not relevant. Not important. Without inpact or efftect. Been there, done that. Saw it through. Not going to be missed. Another shit hole will host 3 or 4 cool shows a year and a bunch of the last and least greatest every week and I'll be happy to miss that too.

As Zander put at the end of American Hardcore, "It's over, go home, your cage is clean." Des Moines had a good run there, time for the suits to make a buck and sanitize it for your protection. Getting hungry and desperate can really feed something more interesting then rehash. if you don't understand that then you sadly have never been at the spark of something new, different and your own. Music is owed a new voice and it won't be found a the local cool retro venue. In fact, I hope that I will hate it.

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Thu May 15, 2008 7:56 pm

Davo wrote:Music is owed a new voice and it won't be found a the local cool retro venue. In fact, I hope that I will hate it.
you're right, it will be found in the dining area of Dubay's.

bluerampage

Post by bluerampage » Thu May 15, 2008 11:31 pm

davo your just a old and bitter man

robdigi

Post by robdigi » Fri May 16, 2008 1:25 am

des moines has never had a venue like the mews before.

it's a traditional style music venue where bands of all sorts can play WITHOUT regulars and a particular scene tied to it. that's what a good music venue is. not every music venue SHOULD be a landmark hangout like mary's was. if you go to a city with a more active music scene you will see many many venues just like the mews. they are what is needed for a music scene to thrive.
All that's missin' is the retired band teacher with the self-inflicted gunshot wound!

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Fri May 16, 2008 1:49 am

@nonymous wrote:(when you could sell out the Safari club by booking The Urge)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri May 16, 2008 9:55 am

DaVo wrote:[If what you mean by diverse is countless 20 somethings playing retro rehashed SST bands, post punk, progressive rock, noise, and etc.. count me out. I lived through the orginal post punk bullshit and wasn't interested in it at that point and not will subjected myself to it again. I find the whole idea painfully boring.
of all people i thought you would make sure to spell original right.

so are you gonna have the same opinion when dubays closes after all its just another restaurant and thats nothing new or diverse...

jjjsXe

Post by jjjsXe » Fri May 16, 2008 11:08 am

no shit, quit dwelling on the fact that you are over 50 years old and you have "been through it, seen it all." we haven't and we are enjoying ourselves so fuck off. it's like you think we aren't doing it right, or good enough just because this isn't 1983 anymore. it is 2008 and it is our time to do this shit. we do this for the local scene, not for 2 bands that come around every year. if you have had enough of all of this then why do you continue to post on this board, go to 1 show a year, listen to any record at all? when have you been to a haunted basement show? you can't say shit about that unless you go there and see the people that actually care about this shit. basically you are irrelevant to the scene, everyone is having fun but you. no one cares how old you are, what bands you have seen, what you did 25 years ago, this is what is happening now and that is all that matters. and just because a show doesn't draw 500 people doesn't mean it wasn't a successful and amazing show.
abortions for some, miniature american flags for others

Walking Thunder

Post by Walking Thunder » Fri May 16, 2008 11:16 am

http://ap.axiompiercing.com/bands.htm wrote:SIOUX CITY PETE & THE BAGGERS
Paper or plastic?

I'm just sayin'. . .
-John
Doomed to endure and prevail.

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Fri May 16, 2008 11:47 am

poor ol' Davo.

Walking Thunder

Post by Walking Thunder » Fri May 16, 2008 11:55 am

DaVo wrote:I'm sorry, but I do not see the Mews as a venue that started anyting.
So it doesn't matter if a venue is currently contributing to a music scene? And this is so because the only importance of a venue comes from its "originality" during its entrance into the scene? OK.
-John

Thom

Post by Thom » Fri May 16, 2008 2:08 pm

so aside from davo hating the world, basically, if the mews closes it will suck. From conversations I've had around town, it seems that there isn't anywhere else in Des Moines to do shows. I don't think the people that book shows regularly at the haunted basement, or the venue itself, would be able to handle every show. I also hate the prospect of driving an hour and a half to see shows at the picador every week.

We always talk about scene unity, and shit like that...so lets work together and stop something so stupid from happening. Remember when we all decided that Des Moines was actually still a cool place to live? Lets work to keep it that way.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Fri May 16, 2008 4:24 pm

Guess none of you got the point that I was being an asshole to prove a point. You all pretty much called Mary's useless, outdated, etc... when it closed but now that you favorite jerk off venue is closing and there won't be a place for your three favorite bands to play, the world is coming to an end. Let's face it Mews was just a place that rented out space. Nothing special, not really that cool and well, known for ripping off bands and promoters. In fact if I hadn't posted anything this thread would have died away.

The other point is what is relevant about a bunch of bands doing the same shit from 20 to 30 years ago? Am I stepping on toes by pointing out the fact that none of these "great" bands are anything special. There's no At the Drive-In, Refused, Bad Brains, Black Flag, X, Germs or New York Dolls, in 2008. Sadly the reunions are better then the new stuff. Most of the shit that plays mews makes Metal seem cool. Sadly.

So have fun, enjoy your shows, but don't talk about how important they are. Do not play it up like you are doing something ground breaking. I guess that's what really bugs you all, isn't it. Makes it seem small and all your dicks shrink little at that fact.

As far as the Basement, why would I want to take time away from what is important in my life to hang out in some teenage crash pad and watch a bunch of bands, I more than likely have no interest in? For the scene? Give me a break.

Just fucking do it, enjoy it, cause it will be over at some point.
Last edited by DaVo on Fri May 16, 2008 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crow

Post by crow » Fri May 16, 2008 4:35 pm

and you dont get the point that what you think doesn't matter.
"boobiez and buttz"
- u-god of the wu tang clan

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri May 16, 2008 4:38 pm

DaVo wrote:Guess none of you got the point that I was being an asshole to prove a point. You all pretty much called Mary's useless, outdated, etc...
comparing the mews to marys is pointless. especially coming from you. and i dont think anyone was crying over marys or the mews
DaVo wrote:The other point is what is relevant about a bunch of bands doing the same shit from 20 to 30 years ago?
thats funny. if bands were doing the same shit from 20 years ago youd be at every show.
DaVo wrote:Just fucking do it, enjoy it, cause it will be over at some point.
it never has to be over. i think your only scene is in your shower

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Fri May 16, 2008 4:39 pm

crow wrote:and you dont get the point that what you think doesn't matter.
Then why respond?

Clint

Post by Clint » Fri May 16, 2008 4:45 pm

Thom wrote: We always talk about scene unity, and shit like that...so lets work together and stop something so stupid from happening.

What can be done?

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Fri May 16, 2008 4:49 pm

mews is/was so much better than mary's. there, i said it.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Fri May 16, 2008 5:04 pm

@nonymous wrote:mews is/was so much better than mary's. there, i said it.
What the small stage, shity lay out, the fact it was/is non-smoking. or the two or three shows a year they do that are worth seeing?

I find it funny that one of the things I kept hearing when Mary's closed was how it wasn't important because of the Mews. Now some of the same people that said that are wetting their pants cause it's closing.

Sadly house of pricks will never close. Metalheads will support anything metal. Makes you wonder if something can be learn there?

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Fri May 16, 2008 5:14 pm

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Fri May 16, 2008 5:20 pm

joseph wrote:
DaVo wrote:Guess none of you got the point that I was being an asshole to prove a point. You all pretty much called Mary's useless, outdated, etc...
comparing the mews to marys is pointless. especially coming from you. and i dont think anyone was crying over marys or the mews
DaVo wrote:The other point is what is relevant about a bunch of bands doing the same shit from 20 to 30 years ago?
thats funny. if bands were doing the same shit from 20 years ago youd be at every show.
DaVo wrote:Just fucking do it, enjoy it, cause it will be over at some point.
it never has to be over. i think your only scene is in your shower
Maybe I should have made this clear. No not interestested in Progo rock, post punk, noise or that silly alt country pop shit. Oh and indy rock sucks. Stoner rock sadly makes even the worst SST releases sound ground break.

Doing it for the scene? I never said that music stopped but look around you, how many of these people to you think are going to be here in 5 years let alone 10 or 20. The scene has always had a few core members that stick to it and float in and out but a majority move on to something else. It's a way of life. The Scene evolves, goes through points of growth and then gets into a rut. It's in a rut, has been for a while. Maybe you can't see it cause you are too involved. Is it better then it was 10 years ago? No. Is it better then it was 20 years ago? Hell yes. Is it more creative then it was 10 or 20 years ago? No. Is that why it is in a Rut? yes. Is this only a Des Moines thing? No.

Is that more clear?

Does Des Moines have it's own music scene, do it's own thing or is it just a bunch of sheep following the lastest trends? I'm not saying that's a bad thing. What I'm saying is it isn't important.

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri May 16, 2008 5:56 pm

DaVo wrote:The Scene evolves, goes through points of growth and then gets into a rut. It's in a rut, has been for a while. Maybe you can't see it cause you are too involved. Is it better then it was 10 years ago? No. Is it better then it was 20 years ago? Hell yes. Is it more creative then it was 10 or 20 years ago? No. Is that why it is in a Rut? yes. Is this only a Des Moines thing? No.

Is that more clear?
what? are you talking about? the scene is more than its ever been. theres more places to play theres more bands and theres more people. fuck, theres even different scenes

Thom

Post by Thom » Fri May 16, 2008 6:13 pm

who the hell cares if I'm doing anything revolutionary? I don't. I'm doing what I like.

this is dumb. You can not like the mews all you want, its silly for me to launch some case for you liking a venue. I'm just recognizing something that I see as detrimental to the community.

Walking Thunder

Post by Walking Thunder » Fri May 16, 2008 6:17 pm

storkus wrote:I can't wait until DaVo dies in 3 years. . .
I don't know what it is, but I lol every time I read that.
-John