More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

elliot
Represent!

Re: i announce 515user JOE to be the king of credibility

Post by elliot » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:39 pm

Varg wrote:
ilikehorses wrote:anyone who completely dismisses the beatles and doesn't recognize that they are some of the best song writers ever doesn't know anything about music.

What do you know about music? I forgot- what music school did you say you graduated from?
You have no idea how bad I wanted to kick you in your dick when I read this post.

Oh, and Ed graduated from the college of No One Gives a Shit What Fucking Music College You Went To and It Doesn't Mean You Know More About Popular Music or Personal Taste Than Anyone Else.

That college.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:09 pm

TooManyHumyns wrote:
moltar wrote:
TooManyHumyns wrote:why do you all 'hate' eachother again?
Here's the bigger question. Is Seahag ready to play the Bishops show?
dood, we should do it!!!
Well, I still need one more band. Interested?
I paid my dues but I lost my Receipt.

Shane

Post by Shane » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:26 pm

Varg, what is your favorite band?
Joey Chaos wrote:Shane's gonna find out the hard way.

Varg
Failed DMACC

Post by Varg » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:40 am

elliot wrote:
You have no idea how bad I wanted to kick you in your dick when I read this post.

Oh, and Ed graduated from the college of No One Gives a Shit What Fucking Music College You Went To and It Doesn't Mean You Know More About Popular Music or Personal Taste Than Anyone Else.

That college.
Oh you want to kick me in the dick- I have a pretty strong feeling you wouldn't follow through with that if you ever saw me. So plz....

"Ed" said blah blah blah anyone who says that "doesn't know anything about music." Pretty bold statement to be making with someone of my status on this board (Yes, I know more than he or any of you about songwriting) - who also agrees the beatles are boring and trite.
The rolling stones aren't good songwriters either- it amounts to nothing more than 'guesswork'.

Shane wrote:Varg, what is your favorite band?
Favorite band? What're you 12? Idiot.
Rephrase your question like a grown-up and I might respond.
---success in social interaction lies in making them afraid to see you disapprove

elliot
Represent!

Post by elliot » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:02 am

Varg wrote:Oh you want to kick me in the dick- I have a pretty strong feeling you wouldn't follow through with that if you ever saw me. So plz....
Actually, just seeing you makes me want to kick you in the dick. But the operative word is "want." I would never kick someone in the dick. I'm too kind.
Varg wrote:"Ed" said blah blah blah anyone who says that "doesn't know anything about music." Pretty bold statement to be making with someone of my status on this board (Yes, I know more than he or any of you about songwriting) - who also agrees the beatles are boring and trite.
The rolling stones aren't good songwriters either- it amounts to nothing more than 'guesswork'.
I probably have to stand by Ed's statement here. If you claim to have all this extended knowledge of songwriting, then you would understand that The Beatles and The Stones did that remarkably well.

I'd be interested to know what, if any, bands or artists from the 50's and 60's you actually like.

ilikehorses
Fun\Death Dealer

Post by ilikehorses » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:17 am

pfft. varg likes steve vai and yngwie malmsteen. his opinion means ZERO.
Even today, I can't see a car run a red light without instantly having an image flash into my head of a man's erect penis, penetrating a watermelon.

UGH I SUCK

Varg
Failed DMACC

Post by Varg » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:41 am

elliot wrote:
I probably have to stand by Ed's statement here. If you claim to have all this extended knowledge of songwriting, then you would understand that The Beatles and The Stones did that remarkably well.

I'd be interested to know what, if any, bands or artists from the 50's and 60's you actually like.
No they didn't. Or to clarify- they "did" and they didn't. They did, in the sense that they purely STUMBLED across "good writing"; They didn't intentionally write well. This is easily proven. When have you ever come across an interview or article, for say Keith Richards, where he discusses what he is actually playing and maybe even why he wrote what he did. He doesn't do those types of columns because he would make a fool of himself- and he knows it.
Keith Richards reflects on: Under My Thumb
"Well you see here, I came up with this little bluesy/rock/harmonic minor riff that's in G harmonic minor. When (bass players name) is playing a G I throw a simple lead over it just using the available tensions from the G harmonic minor scale because I like playing something that's different from the bass rhythm- and I know which tensions typically sound good for the i chord in harmonic minor and that's how I'm able to go after the type of sound I like..."

But sadly, you'll never read that because keith richards is a brain dead drug addict who can barely talk- let alone explain his music beyond "It sounded good to me" He just worked it out until it "sounded good" to him. That is guesswork....and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
What sounds good to keith is based off of what music he likes and listens to, and what influenced him. If he listened to Mozart...then chances are he could work out a progression that sounds good....and it could very well be 'nicely written'. But that's another story altogether...

Now- the only music I like from the '50s would be Stravinsky, maybe some Copland....Schonberg was dead by then...as was Berg. I dunno the post-tonal era didn't offer much that Schonberg hadn't already perfected.
I'm not even all that thrilled about Stravinsky's stuff from the '50s because that was his neo-classical period. The Rake's Progress was very MEH...
His serial period had some stuff I enjoyed- The Flood, Agon, ...the owl and the pussycat was alright too.
---success in social interaction lies in making them afraid to see you disapprove

Varg
Failed DMACC

Post by Varg » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:51 am

ilikehorses wrote:pfft. varg likes steve vai and yngwie malmsteen. his opinion means ZERO.

I also like Christina Aguilera, Nelly Furtado, Rihanna, Carrie Underwood, Sugarland, Little Big Town, and Leann Rimes. Can you guess how many of them write songs? Now can you guess how many of them have the best songwriters in the country working for them at their (or their labels) disposal? You're a fat fuck with jizz for brains and no musical background- that is to say, your opinion REALLY means zero. If you ever join the real world (you know- outside of 515crew.com or God forbid, even IOWA) you'll find out.

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Re: TL;DR Everyone is really, really fucking stupid. Everyone.

Post by servo » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:07 am

ed--incredibly sheltered dude with weight problem and semen for a brain whom spends all of his time on the internet and is just fucking retarded about everything but especially music

varg--buff dude with gun
Tu vir nunc es, canis

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Post by servo » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:13 am

TooManyHumyns wrote:Lighten up francis.
also i feel like this a gem of a post in this thread that went largely unnoticed
Tu vir nunc es, canis

moltar

Post by moltar » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:47 am

The biggest douche bags of the night award goes too....

*suspense*

From Hell. These guys suck.

elliot
Represent!

Post by elliot » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:02 pm

Varg, I think what this is coming down to is that you approach music in a completely different way from me. I don't see why there has to be a science to writing music. Keith Richards clearly knows the scales and chords that make a good rock song. Why does he need to know Stravinsky?

You go for the cerebral, I go for the hips.

But I am totally with you on Carrie Underwood, Little Big Town, and especially Sugarland. I love Sugarland with no irony whatsoever.

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Post by Big Fat Retard » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:25 pm

Keith Richards: "I don't think rock n' roll songwriters should worry about art. I don't think it comes into it...as far as I'm concerned, Art is just short for Arthur..."... I don't like to go into the studio with all the songs worked out and planned before hand...you've got to give the band something to use its imagination on as well."

Ron Wood: "There's a basic rule which runs through all kinds of music, kind of an unwritten rule. I don't know what it is. But I've got it."

Bob Dylan: "My best songs were written very quickly. Just about as much time as it takes to write it down is about as long as it takes to write it...In writing songs I've learned as much from Cezanne as I have from Woody Guthrie...It's not me, it's the songs. I'm just the postman, I deliver the songs...I consider myself a poet first and a musician second. I live like a poet and I'll die like a poet."

Johnny Rotten: "I don't listen to music, I hate all music...You'll find that empty vessels make the most sound."

Hank Williams: "If a song can't be written in 20 minutes, it ain't worth writing."

Burt Bacharach: "Music breeds its own inspiration. You can only do it by doing it. You may not feel like it, but you push yourself. It's a work process. Or just improvise. Something will come."
I poop on Petland!

Beaver

Post by Beaver » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:30 pm

Lol @ Varg on his high horse. I guess putting up guitar vids on youtube makes people the svengalli of all things music.

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Post by Big Fat Retard » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:06 pm

Varg wrote:
ilikehorses wrote:pfft. varg likes steve vai and yngwie malmsteen. his opinion means ZERO.

I also like Christina Aguilera, Nelly Furtado, Rihanna, Carrie Underwood, Sugarland, Little Big Town, and Leann Rimes. Can you guess how many of them write songs? Now can you guess how many of them have the best songwriters in the country working for them at their (or their labels) disposal?
That explains alot. I bet you think Desmond Child is a good songwriter.
I poop on Petland!

elliot
Represent!

Post by elliot » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:34 pm

Big Fat Retard wrote:
Varg wrote:

I also like Christina Aguilera, Nelly Furtado, Rihanna, Carrie Underwood, Sugarland, Little Big Town, and Leann Rimes. Can you guess how many of them write songs? Now can you guess how many of them have the best songwriters in the country working for them at their (or their labels) disposal?
That explains alot. I bet you think Desmond Child is a good songwriter.
Desmond Child wrote some bitchin songs for Meat Loaf's last album. No kiddin.

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Post by Big Fat Retard » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:43 pm

He also helped ruin good bands like KISS and Heart by conning them into recording some of his sappy ass power ballads in the 80's. The dude needs to go to jail.
I poop on Petland!

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Post by servo » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:54 pm

no matter how you feel about him i think we can all agree that desmond child is gay
Tu vir nunc es, canis

elliot
Represent!

Post by elliot » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:22 pm

Big Fat Retard wrote:He also helped ruin good bands like KISS and Heart by conning them into recording some of his sappy ass power ballads in the 80's. The dude needs to go to jail.
Can't argue with that either.

ilikehorses
Fun\Death Dealer

Post by ilikehorses » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:40 pm

Varg wrote:

I also like Christina Aguilera, Nelly Furtado, Rihanna, Carrie Underwood, Sugarland, Little Big Town, and Leann Rimes. Can you guess how many of them write songs? Now can you guess how many of them have the best songwriters in the country working for them at their (or their labels) disposal? You're a fat fuck with jizz for brains and no musical background- that is to say, your opinion REALLY means zero. If you ever join the real world (you know- outside of 515crew.com or God forbid, even IOWA) you'll find out.

you have shitty taste in music. you make music more of a math problem, which makes music BORING. even with all your school (and lifting weight and all that other shit you do), you'll never end up doing anything more than giving ten-year-olds guitar lessons.
Even today, I can't see a car run a red light without instantly having an image flash into my head of a man's erect penis, penetrating a watermelon.

UGH I SUCK

moltar

Post by moltar » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:07 pm

Ed! Go easy on this guy. I'm sure this Varg character is like an M&M. Hard on the outside and soft on the inside... or chocolate.. or kind of fatty or something.

tylerjames515

Post by tylerjames515 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:09 pm

can't we all agree this song rules?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY4KGsotXPQ
Rooster wrote:cant worship the devil unless you are 21 now

kylervk

Post by kylervk » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:12 pm

goddamnit, i agree tyler!

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:35 pm

tylerjames515 wrote:can't we all agree this song rules?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY4KGsotXPQ
Nope. In fact one of the many Shitty 70s/80s songs that caused me to seek out punk.
I paid my dues but I lost my Receipt.

noel_nothing

Post by noel_nothing » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:40 pm

Big Fat Retard wrote:He also helped ruin good bands like KISS and Heart by conning them into recording some of his sappy ass power ballads in the 80's. The dude needs to go to jail.
which ones did he write for heart?

Bullet Tooth
One Man Wall of Death

Post by Bullet Tooth » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:04 pm

Varg wrote:
Oh you want to kick me in the dick- I have a pretty strong feeling you wouldn't follow through with that if you ever saw me. So plz....
"why wont you back me up!?!?"

LOL. so good.

a lot of this discussion is kind of trifling. who cares what other people listen to. everyones going to have a different opinion. id rather have more passion and raw emotion: anger, pain, resentment, love, joy, etc in my music than technical songwriting. like someone said, being all scientific about it kind of takes away from the music. but thats just me.

kylervk

Post by kylervk » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:05 pm

davo, bustin' balls

kylervk

Post by kylervk » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:06 pm

elliot, the notorious dick kicker

kylervk

Post by kylervk » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:08 pm

varg, the racist meat-head

kylervk

Post by kylervk » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:09 pm

zack, the big dude everybody agrees with