More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

DaVo

The Challenge

Post by DaVo » Wed May 21, 2008 3:58 am

Here's the deal. Bring a CD of what you think is the greatest new band into DuBay's on Wednesday night between 11pm and 2AM and we will play at least 1 song. The only rules is no songs over 5 minutes and the CD has to have been released within the last year. As you all know by now, I don't think there is anything of worth that has come out within the last 5 years. Here is your chance to prove me wrong!!!!!!!!!! If no one shows up then I'm right and your music is dull and nothing new.

Also $2 wells and $2.00 domestic bottles of beers

DuBay's
1229 25th st
Des Moines, IA 50311
I paid my dues but I lost my Receipt.

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Re: The Challenge

Post by Joe » Wed May 21, 2008 4:22 am

No songs over 5 min is not fair.
Listening to Streetlight Manifesto and Wolves in the Throne Room automatically counts me out because of that rule.

-Joe.

WebSkunk

Post by WebSkunk » Wed May 21, 2008 9:38 am

So what the hell is the deal with Dubay's anyways? It seems like it's trying to go for a more fine dining feel, but then you have all these punk rock radio nights and murphy's law and shit?... Are you trying to be a restaurant or are you trying to be Mary's?

I guess I don't really care about your answer - I don't really plan on going.
huh?

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed May 21, 2008 9:47 am

WebSkunk wrote:I guess I don't really care about your answer - I don't really plan on going.
lawlllss

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Wed May 21, 2008 3:42 pm

WebSkunk wrote:So what the hell is the deal with Dubay's anyways? It seems like it's trying to go for a more fine dining feel, but then you have all these punk rock radio nights and murphy's law and shit?... Are you trying to be a restaurant or are you trying to be Mary's?

I guess I don't really care about your answer - I don't really plan on going.
Tuesday through Saturday from 5 to 10pm it is fine dining. After 10pm it is a lounge that offers fine dining till 2am most nights. Even during dining the music is a collection of Jazz, swing, traditional music, ska, alternative, punk and etc.. The playlist can go from Tom Waits to Modern Lovers to Hank Thompson to TSOL to Madness to the Pixies to Morphine to Soul Coughing to Dave Alvin to At the Drive-In to Big Joe Turner to John Doe to Charley Parker. It sounds like it doesn't work for fine dining but it does. The lounge music depends on the crowd, what is either requested or I feel like playing. Wednesday night is the night where I play what I wish. Normally I pick an artist and play a number of their albums. Also we revolve art and in the future will have openings combined with wine tastings and are working on salsa dancing nights. So DuBay's wears a lot of hats and continues to evolve.

It is nothing like Mary's, nor does Brian or I want it to be. The Murphy's Law show is a one off thing. Shows will be like private parties where we shut down the dining and will only happen every once in a while. I don't see us ever doing live music 3 times a week.

NO skin off my neck if you choose not to come. It's your loss.

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Wed May 21, 2008 3:47 pm

Davo, I talked to Brian a few nights ago and he sounded like he intended to have the show upstairs and "gut" the place. is this still happening? if so, did you get a permit for it?

drake security will be checking the buildings they own in the area regularly throughout the night and if they spot a bunch of hardcore kids hanging around, you can bet it will get shut down(i say this because we had a similar experience at bpe).

just curious.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats" - H. L. Mencken

Beaver

Post by Beaver » Wed May 21, 2008 4:11 pm

Drake security are pigs who need to be greased.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Wed May 21, 2008 5:17 pm

@nonymous wrote:Davo, I talked to Brian a few nights ago and he sounded like he intended to have the show upstairs and "gut" the place. is this still happening? if so, did you get a permit for it?

drake security will be checking the buildings they own in the area regularly throughout the night and if they spot a bunch of hardcore kids hanging around, you can bet it will get shut down(i say this because we had a similar experience at bpe).

just curious.
He's looking at a lot of options right now. Until it's figured out, I can't say what dirrection the place will go. Drake Security will not be a problem. Most of them drink and eat there. Like the Murphy's Law show, it is a private party, we have a liquor License and a restaurant. So we are not flat retail but He's limited by the lease, so who knows.

You guys lease from Drake too?

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Wed May 21, 2008 5:37 pm

Davo wrote:He's looking at a lot of options right now. Until it's figured out, I can't say what dirrection the place will go. Drake Security will not be a problem. Most of them drink and eat there. Like the Murphy's Law show, it is a private party, we have a liquor License and a restaurant. So we are not flat retail but He's limited by the lease, so who knows.

No, we own our building but Drake owns the recruiting center next to us and property across the street(they routinely do security checks throughout the night).

I wouldn't necessarily be concerned with Drake Security attempting to shut you down explicitly, but if it's being hosted upstairs I would be very surprised if the police didn't show up.

This city frowns heavily upon loud shows being hosted in unpermitted zones.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats" - H. L. Mencken

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Wed May 21, 2008 5:57 pm

@nonymous wrote:
Davo wrote:He's looking at a lot of options right now. Until it's figured out, I can't say what dirrection the place will go. Drake Security will not be a problem. Most of them drink and eat there. Like the Murphy's Law show, it is a private party, we have a liquor License and a restaurant. So we are not flat retail but He's limited by the lease, so who knows.

No, we own our building but Drake owns the recruiting center next to us and property across the street(they routinely do security checks throughout the night).

I wouldn't necessarily be concerned with Drake Security attempting to shut you down explicitly, but if it's being hosted upstairs I would be very surprised if the police didn't show up.

This city frowns heavily upon loud shows being hosted in unpermitted zones.
We have already had a couple of DJs in and live bands for events last summer with no problem. the Biggest problem are the apartments upstairs. We meet all the requirements for handicape and entertainment and it's zone for entertainment. As far as I know there is no permits regarding live music in the city.

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Wed May 21, 2008 6:08 pm

davo wrote:We have already had a couple of DJs in and live bands for events last summer with no problem. the Biggest problem are the apartments upstairs. We meet all the requirements for handicape and entertainment and it's zone for entertainment. As far as I know there is no permits regarding live music in the city.
right. it would be a noise/sound permit most likely.