More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

@nonymous

"Eco-Terrorist" gets 20 years for ThoughtCrime

Post by @nonymous » Sat May 10, 2008 11:53 pm

*constructive discussion encouraged*

a friend of mine was sentenced earlier this week to nearly 20 years in prison[more can be read here. obviously i am saddened by this, but i wanted to discuss a few things.

first, the amount the govn't can get away with and justify by using september 11 is pretty insane. in my friends' case, and what's being referred to as the "green scare" cases, the "Terrorism Enhancement" is what they've been using to hand down ridiculous sentences.

second, eric didn't actually commit a crime. 20 years is such a mindfuck of a sentence, i can barely comprehend it.

i'm tired and angry. i'll edit this with something more readable soon, sorry.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats" - H. L. Mencken

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Re: "Eco-Terrorist" gets 20 years for ThoughtCrime

Post by Joe » Sun May 11, 2008 12:04 am

This sucks.
A whole lot.

:( :(

-Joe.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Sun May 11, 2008 8:11 am

Ok, so what happened here?

The article mentions something about plans to make bombs, presumably to blow up something or other and the freeeric.org page or whatever it is makes no mention of any crime, it just basically says he was framed, things are tough for him and he needs your help. I'm a little unclear on what's going on.

Smoking Guns

Post by Smoking Guns » Sun May 11, 2008 11:24 am

it's completely fucked that our country makes up a war without an end against an enemy that could be all of us. it's more fucked up that we let them. willingly.

and you know that because he's now a terrorist in the eyes of the judicial system, he's not going to be getting out earlier than 20 years from now.

cam

Post by cam » Sun May 11, 2008 12:51 pm

yeah what exactly did he do?

it says something about sabotaging SUV's.
were these ones in car lots?
or ones in peoples driveways?

How did he sabotage them?

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Sun May 11, 2008 4:06 pm

I think the SUV thing was a different case. I remember there was a thread about that here years ago.

ilikehorses
Fun\Death Dealer

Post by ilikehorses » Sun May 11, 2008 5:20 pm

basically, he was a traveler with some others. the fbi informant created plans and pushed him and the others into agreeing to do some actions. --the fbi informant created the plans, the ideas, bought the materials, and did basically all of the illegal activity-- then eric and the others were arrested for the illegal activity, which, again, the informant committed all of the illegal activity, the others were just there with her. --the actual illegal activity, though should be pointed out, had not occurred. it was merely theory, merely talk, merely thought between people. that is the scariest part. mere thought and inaction was the major crime.

the other two rolled over and agreed with the government's claims that eric mcdavid was the brains of it all. eric is such a sweet, nice guy and i am incredibly sad that he is in this position.

and i am very sad that our country, as said before, has made its own citizens the enemy, the terrorists.
Even today, I can't see a car run a red light without instantly having an image flash into my head of a man's erect penis, penetrating a watermelon.

UGH I SUCK

Joey Chaos
Destroy!

Post by Joey Chaos » Sun May 11, 2008 6:44 pm

Sucks to be him. I don't like the government much, but with the state that our country and the middle east are in, this guy was fucking retarded for even talking about that kind of thing. I mean, I'm sure he way too much of a pussy to actually do anything, so why talk about it?

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Sun May 11, 2008 6:49 pm

Because he was pushed and pressured into talking about it by an FBI informant. The guy didn't come up with shit on his own, and when you got a girl hot for your dick, it's pretty easy to let shit slip out.

-Joe.

Joey Chaos
Destroy!

Post by Joey Chaos » Sun May 11, 2008 7:12 pm

Joe wrote:Because he was pushed and pressured into talking about it by an FBI informant. The guy didn't come up with shit on his own, and when you got a girl hot for your dick, it's pretty easy to let shit slip out.

-Joe.
Like you know anything about that..........

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Sun May 11, 2008 7:18 pm

Okay.

-Joe.

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Sun May 11, 2008 10:35 pm

the fbi informant, "Anna", was employed by the FBI when she was 17 years old. she was paid $75,000 over a two year span to infiltrate and encourage activists to commit violent crimes.

she met eric, along with the other two co-operating defendants, in Des Moines at the CrimethInc Convergnece in 2004. she tagged along to the Republican National Convention demonstrations directly afterwards.

she met up with eric and the other two shortly after the conventions, where they discussed loosely about taking actions against various corporations they felt contributed to the destruction of the environment. from then on, "Anna" paid for plane tickets for two of them across the country, paid for the cabin they stayed in, supplied the recipes for the alleged bombs they had planned, paid for the materials to make said bombs, paid for everything. keep in mind the cabin was completely bugged, Anna's car was wired at all times as was she. the night before the arrest the group showed discomfort and talked of calling the whole thing off. Anna became outraged and insisted they "stick with the fucking plan".

Anna is a paid liar who manipulated and destroyed three kids' lives who cared about her.

this case should serve as an example to how far these fuckers will go to silence voices of dissent.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats" - H. L. Mencken

Varg
Failed DMACC

Post by Varg » Mon May 12, 2008 1:01 am

:cry:
---success in social interaction lies in making them afraid to see you disapprove

noel_nothing

Post by noel_nothing » Mon May 12, 2008 1:25 am

that's a shitty deal.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Mon May 12, 2008 8:19 am

Immediately after 9/11 a lot of people on the left end of the political spectrum (not to say that these guys exactly represent everyone there) started crying about the FBI unfairly going after Middle Easterners and expressed a lot of concern about "Timothy McVeigh", "abortion clinic bombers", "the Unabomber", "domestic terrorists" and so on, trying to make them look like hypocrites for not going after the homespun angry white male terrorists.

They're making it fair now, but they're going after YOUR angry white males. When dealing with the government, be careful what you wish for. It may come true.

Anyways, it sounds like a lot of details are missing from both sides of the story. I do believe that this guy is for the most part harmless and went along with some things in the pursuit of some eco-friendly hatchet wound and it does sound sketchy as far as entrapment goes... but if they have solid evidence of him aggressively assisting in the development of a plan to blow some shit up, that's serious business and legally there's not much else you can say. His side isn't saying much, which I understand why at this point, so it's hard to really gauge.

What were they planning on blowing up?

In conclusion, I am glad to see that in this age of high tech gadgetry, the FBI still stands by the tried and true power of poon in the war on terrorism. Also, I think the real moral of the story is don't trust women.

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Mon May 12, 2008 11:25 am

please post that picture of "anna" again.
thanks.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Mon May 12, 2008 11:59 am

Yeah, I'd like to see this girl.

ilikehorses
Fun\Death Dealer

Post by ilikehorses » Mon May 12, 2008 1:18 pm

Even today, I can't see a car run a red light without instantly having an image flash into my head of a man's erect penis, penetrating a watermelon.

UGH I SUCK

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Mon May 12, 2008 1:20 pm

jjjsXe

Post by jjjsXe » Mon May 12, 2008 3:47 pm

Hank Fist wrote:Image
gross
even if she was all over my weiner, i'd say NO WAY!
abortions for some, miniature american flags for others

Beaver

Post by Beaver » Mon May 12, 2008 3:49 pm

Her titties look weak.

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Mon May 12, 2008 5:22 pm

el rhino wrote:Immediately after 9/11 a lot of people on the left end of the political spectrum (not to say that these guys exactly represent everyone there) started crying about the FBI unfairly going after Middle Easterners and expressed a lot of concern about "Timothy McVeigh", "abortion clinic bombers", "the Unabomber", "domestic terrorists" and so on, trying to make them look like hypocrites for not going after the homespun angry white male terrorists.

They're making it fair now, but they're going after YOUR angry white males. When dealing with the government, be careful what you wish for. It may come true.
you're missing the mark here. people expressed a lot of concern over profiling of Middle Easterners because they aren't comfortable with discrimination(because it's wrong). it had nothing to do with "making it even"--which is a seriously abusrd suggestion by the way.

to be clear. these kids aren't terrorists. the govn't does everything in it's power to label them as such in order to build cases against them and hand down higher sentences. it also allows them to show some good stats in the "war on terror" considering how poor the public perception is overseas.

this was read at a convergence i attended a couple years ago, addressing FBI informants that were present(this was shortly after the "Anna" situation):
Appendix 1: Letter to Infiltrators

This was read at the opening ceremony of the convergence. We can only assume there was at least one federal infiltrator present this year, as there has been before. If you are an infiltrator or FBI agent, please make sure to spend some time dwelling on this.

“At last summer’s CrimethInc. convergence in Indiana, there was at least one federal infiltrator present disguised as a human being. She insinuated herself into a circle of friends and used their trust to frame them with conspiracy charges after buying them bomb-making supplies and renting them a wiretapped cabin. We can only assume that we are similarly infiltrated this summer. I would like to address the following to our infiltrator or infiltrators:

Some of the most beautiful, compassionate, socially conscious young people in North America has traveled across the country to gather here. They have come to meet like-minded friends, to exchange skills for caring for themselves and their communities, to build a struggle for justice and freedom, to fall in love and make a world conducive to falling in love. But not you. You have come, cynically, to hunt like a wolf in sheep’s clothing for young people you can entrap and ensnare. Where others see comrades, you see quarry. We are here to create; you, to destroy.

You may tell yourself that you are here to keep an eye on antisocial elements—but who is the deceitful one, lying to everyone, disguising malice as common cause? You may tell yourself that you are here to protect others from violence—but you are the only one here who has come expressly to do harm. Your employers, the FBI, have a history of murder and injustice stretching back long before the notorious COINTELPRO assault on the Black Panthers. They spied on Martin Luther King. When Earth First! activist Judi Bari was bombed, either by right wing terrorists or government agents, the FBI refused to investigate and instead tried—and failed—to frame her for bombing herself.

Anarchists, not the FBI, are the ones who oppose violence in this society. In the past twenty years of anarchist activity, the only injuries have been minor ones in cases of self-defense, in contrast to the slaughter and mayhem the US government perpetrates indiscriminately across the globe. If you really hope to protect others from violence, why aren’t you working at a rape crisis center? Do you really think anarchists pose a greater threat to people than rapists do? Or is it the threat to hierarchy, not people, that concerns you?

You may tell yourself you are nobly serving your country—but there are nobler causes to serve. Your masters want power for themselves at any expense, while we struggle for respect and coexistence among all living things. You may tell yourself that you are here to do good—but you are the one on salary; we do what we do for free, for our consciences, not for a paycheck. Essentially, you are a prostitute*; and should you have sex with your targets in order to entrap them, as other infiltrators have done, that will come as no surprise. Imagine the conscience of a person who sleeps with others not out of love or desire, not just in return for money, but in order to ruin their lives!

You must be ashamed of yourself. Think how many people in the world would be disgusted with you, if they knew what you are doing. Anyway, the gulf between us is too broad to be crossed now. The most we can ask is that you do your job badly, like a worker at McDonalds who must feed his family even though he knows his employers are destroying the rainforest, the health of their customers, and the future of all species. If one shred of humanity remains within you after a lifetime of brainwashing, please—do your job badly.

As for the rest of you, who are not infiltrators or informants—if you disapprove of paid agents coming here to endanger you and your friends, don’t do the same thing for free. Don’t speak of your involvement in illegal activities, don’t speculate as to others’ involvement—and above all, should you ever find yourself in an interrogation chamber with the ones who really hate our freedom attempting to terrorize you into helping them frame your friends, don’t cooperate, don’t sell out everything you believe for them.

Our freedom, our safety, are under our control, not theirs. Freedom is not a matter of how many fences are around us, but of abiding by our consciences in any situation. Safety is not the condition of being temporarily outside the grasp of our enemies, but of being able to trust ourselves never to deliver others into harm’s way, never to become something we despise.

The FBI, which exists to protect the interests of the most powerful, selfish, and destructive men in the world today, hopes to intimidate us out of our struggle for a better world. But we are here because we feel that the lives waiting for us in their society are unlivable, because we see that the injustices that create the foundation of their power are unacceptable, because we know that the pollution and destruction of their economy are unsustainable. There is no future for us except through change—so attacks on our freedom can only mobilize us to struggle more urgently.

Even if there are one hundred federal infiltrators here and only two human beings, those two human beings can be more powerful than the entire apparatus of the state. Find each other and do something beautiful. Thank you.”

* This was not intended to be taken as a slight by honest sex workers. The author extends the utmost respect to wage laborers in all fields, while cherishing dreams of a day when both wages and work itself are things of the past.

Joey Chaos
Destroy!

Post by Joey Chaos » Mon May 12, 2008 5:24 pm

I wonder if that broad was around North Cal when I was? Around.........maybe 1999-2001 (I think?).

I know her from somewhere.

Also, I wouldn't fuck that thing with Joe M's dick.

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon May 12, 2008 5:28 pm

a kid who tells on another kid is a dead kid- N.O.U

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Mon May 12, 2008 5:34 pm

joey chaos wrote:I wonder if that broad was around North Cal when I was? Around.........maybe 1999-2001 (I think?).
her real name is Zoe im pretty sure. she would have been about 12-13yrs old at that time and living in florida. probably not her.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Mon May 12, 2008 5:51 pm

@nonymous wrote:[

you're missing the mark here...

to be clear. these kids aren't terrorists.

No, you're missing the mark here. I think the root of this is the FBI playing politics, snatching up a few "homegrown" terrorists here and there so they can say they're going after everybody, not just ol' Punjab Squarepants.

I think the saying "one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter" probably comes into play here, as he apparently assisted in the preparation in some way and yes, it does sound like the FBI's tactics were unethical/illegal. Like I said earlier though, both cases seem a little dodgy with missing detail so it's hard to really say for all of us from the sidelines.

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Mon May 12, 2008 6:04 pm

el rhino wrote:I think the root of this is the FBI playing politics, snatching up a few "homegrown" terrorists here and there so they can say they're going after everybody, not just ol' Punjab Squarepants.
sure, they are doing that. but you're not putting enough emphasis on the tactic of labeling them as "terrorists". the advantage isn't necessarily so they can prove they're going after everyone, more that they're going after terrorists period. they aren't doing such a hot job overseas; this way they can lump them all together and say "see, we're keeping you from these scary terrorists that want to destroy your freedom. . .you need us around, in case you forgot".
el rhino wrote:I think the saying "one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter" probably comes into play here, as he apparently assisted in the preparation in some way and yes, it does sound like the FBI's tactics were unethical/illegal. Like I said earlier though, both cases seem a little dodgy with missing detail so it's hard to really say for all of us from the sidelines.
what details do you need? i've been following this case since day one and have spoken to eric's lawyer numerous times.

the bottom line here is: did he make a mistake and talk about things he shouldn't have? absolutely. did the govn't fail to prove a conspiracy between the three individuals involved and at the last minute lie to the jury about "Anna's" status while undercover in order to create the weakest possible conspiracy link between her and eric--one based on coercion and entrapment? absolutely.

no matter how you feel about eric's political beliefs, he didn't deserve 20 years in prison for a crime he didn't even commit.

someone asked earlier what the "targets" these kids had discussed. they were the Forest Service genetics tree lab and the Nimbus Dam.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Mon May 12, 2008 6:18 pm

@nonymous wrote: what details do you need? .

Knowing exactly what he did/didn't do towards blowing up the targets would be nice. Did he help procure the supplies needed? Did he help plan anything? Maybe he just said "Yeah, that's cool" and went about his business and kept her around because he was hittin' it?

20 years is a very steep sentence and probably unwarranted, of course.

Joey Chaos
Destroy!

Post by Joey Chaos » Mon May 12, 2008 10:43 pm

@nonymous wrote:
joey chaos wrote:I wonder if that broad was around North Cal when I was? Around.........maybe 1999-2001 (I think?).
her real name is Zoe im pretty sure. she would have been about 12-13yrs old at that time and living in florida. probably not her.
If she's that young, I probably wouldn't know her. I remember a girl that looked like her that hung around sf and talked a lot about activist bs when I was pissing around out there, but I'm pretty sure she was older than me, or atleast my age.