More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

ilikehorses
Fun\Death Dealer

Re: Scented Vinyl

Post by ilikehorses » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:50 pm

the mews is the best bar venue in town, hands down. from my experiences, they're willing to do a lot of shows for very little money a lot of times. i don't see what the big deal is.
Even today, I can't see a car run a red light without instantly having an image flash into my head of a man's erect penis, penetrating a watermelon.

UGH I SUCK

ilikehorses
Fun\Death Dealer

Post by ilikehorses » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:51 pm

oh, also, Mars Cafe is wonderful. their coffee is good, the environment is good, and the people who work there are the absolute best.
zanzibars is also good, though i don't go there regularly.
Even today, I can't see a car run a red light without instantly having an image flash into my head of a man's erect penis, penetrating a watermelon.

UGH I SUCK

Joey Chaos
Destroy!

Post by Joey Chaos » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:15 pm

Exactly Ed. If Ladd has nothing to do with booking, setting up, or promoting a show, why should he get a cut? Especially when his cut comes out of the promoters pocket? As for the bar taking some, this didn't happen all that often, but the times that it did hurt because it was always bigger shows with big turnouts. What they don't realize is those shows often come with big guarantees. They should be happy that a bunch of people are in there buying drinks from them.

TJ, You would have to promote shows there to know what I'm talking about this.

Band needs 200 bucks. 50 people show up at 5 bucks a head. If I'm doing door it should work out perfect. The band and the sound guy get paid what they're supposed to. Where does Ladds cut come from? Oh, cool, now I have to pay the sound guy out of my pocket for a show that Ladd didn't help with AT ALL, or even show up to. Sounds fair to me too.

teedotjaydot

Post by teedotjaydot » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:26 pm

you're not doing it right.
i need a shower, a shave and maybe a song with a melody

Joey Chaos
Destroy!

Post by Joey Chaos » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:30 pm

Huh?

ilikehorses
Fun\Death Dealer

Post by ilikehorses » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:06 pm

every other bar venue i've ever played, i've been ripped off. much more than i've ever been ripped off at the mews, i feel. if the mews is so bad, what bar venue in town is doing it right? i'm pretty sure any bar venue is going to take a cut of the money, probably more than the mews does.

UGH I SUCK

Joey Chaos
Destroy!

Post by Joey Chaos » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:08 pm

ilikehorses wrote:every other bar venue i've ever played, i've been ripped off. much more than i've ever been ripped off at the mews, i feel. if the mews is so bad, what bar venue in town is doing it right? i'm pretty sure any bar venue is going to take a cut of the money, probably more than the mews does.

None of them are any good, that's what sucks, and that's why I've been trying other places (the Beechwood).

I'm pretty sure you're wrong. Marys never asked for any sort of a cut after expenses were paid. I've played TONS of bars that don't.

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:10 am

who cares...

fab & the chezwicks.

7/12...late show.

mews.

all proceeds go to "slay the whales".

**edit...tentative.
Last edited by Tom on Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
obviously

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:05 am

Fuck that, whale sucks. It's somewhere between fish and a really bad pot roast. I say let the whales be.

Smoking Guns

Post by Smoking Guns » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:01 pm

blah blah blah.

i worked the door for a few months a while back. i never once saw a band get ripped off. if anything, i saw the mews lose money. you gotta look at it from every angle, and every show is different.

also... i've played a ton of shows there. never once have i felt ripped off.

and etc.

sickguy

Post by sickguy » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:09 pm

next!

carbon

Post by carbon » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:39 pm

1. the Boz is a cool dude.

2. Ladds a cool dude, thats his job to bring bands in. you want a place for a show, he lets you have the show, he gets paid, you get your show.

3. If its that big of a deal, buy your own venue and run it your way.

4. Local bands compensation for playing the show is exposure. IF you get paid, thats sweet too.

5. If a touring band is only getting paid their guarantee and its not enough, maybe they should raise the amount they want for a show. Venues are a business its not like oh we made 500 of the door lets give it all to the touring band fuck that, they are taking a risk of maybe breaking even so if it makes money why the fuck should they give it to anyone else? the mew doesnt make enough to cover the guarantee the band still gets the guarantee and the mew loses out.

i think we should be happy that ladd runs the mews and we got a place that give us the opportunity to do our own local shows, and the Boz is trying helping out a scene that is like a rollercoaster ride, tons of sweet bands, a few band, tons of sweet bands, a few bands.

EAT F REUNION! I DEMAND IT!

Eat F
Road to Ruin
Knuckle Down
Black Market Fetus

CECIL GET TO WORK AND Plan this AWESOMENESS!
eat me.

Bullet Tooth
One Man Wall of Death

Post by Bullet Tooth » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:00 pm

im just happy we got included in that list.

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Post by Big Fat Retard » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:09 pm

ilikehorses wrote:the mews is the best bar venue in town, hands down.
In my retarded opinion the Mews is cool, but The Hull is the best bar venue in town hands down. Bands love the free beer and walking out with enough money for a sack of weed and some breakfast.
I poop on Petland!

aeon grey

Post by aeon grey » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:46 pm

I have done many shows at the mews, from small local things, to huge touring acts with really big guarantees. Everything has always worked out well. I think you should probably look into this and use some reason. Any touring band I have ever worked with gets their guarantee, then generally 80% of the door after expenses. $75 for sound, door, and whatever we spent on promo. then the remaining 20% goes to the mews after that. It seems fair to me. Sounds more like you were not being smart with how you handled the business side of it with Ladd..

Joey Chaos
Destroy!

Post by Joey Chaos » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:56 pm

carbon wrote: 2. Ladds a cool dude, thats his job to bring bands in. you want a place for a show, he lets you have the show, he gets paid, you get your show.
Well, in real people world, you don't get paid for working when you don't work. I have been doing shows for a long time,. and playing them, and I've also worked at clubs. Bars bring in bands to bring in people to sell drinks. That's where the bar makes it's money. Bars that get greedy and think they need all the booze money ANDa cut of the door are thieves, like the Mews.

I like Amedeo a lot, but the way things work at that bar blows. And I've never met Ladd in person to the best of my knowledge. Scott O, your few months doesn't have anything on my few years.

teedotjaydot

Post by teedotjaydot » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:29 pm

Joey Chaos wrote:
carbon wrote: 2. Ladds a cool dude, thats his job to bring bands in. you want a place for a show, he lets you have the show, he gets paid, you get your show.
Well, in real people world, you don't get paid for working when you don't work. I have been doing shows for a long time,. and playing them, and I've also worked at clubs. Bars bring in bands to bring in people to sell drinks. That's where the bar makes it's money. Bars that get greedy and think they need all the booze money ANDa cut of the door are thieves, like the Mews.

I like Amedeo a lot, but the way things work at that bar blows. And I've never met Ladd in person to the best of my knowledge. Scott O, your few months doesn't have anything on my few years.

How is it your place to say Ladd doesn't work? It's his job to make the bar money, and he does just that.

As far as the bar taking a cut after guarantee, it's in the contract bands sign off on. Talk to any pro booker and they'll tell that it's standard to have the following in a contract with a guarantee:
1. the guarantee. set at whatever price is agreed upon. this amount is paid to the bands regardless of attendance.
2. after the guarantee it's generally a 80/20 or 85/15 split after the bar's expenses(door guy/soundguy/security).
3. band expenses i.e. food/buyouts, lodging, etc.

the reason you never saw Mary's do this is that Gus very rarely booked a band that required a contract. But on those shows, that's exactly how it went.

the Mews takes a lot of chances with bands that may or may not draw a big enough crowd. the "greediness" of which you speak is nothing more than smart business. cuz that's what it is, a business, not a clubhouse.

Your "several years" don't mean shit when you aren't taking the entirety of the situation into consideration.

Joey Chaos
Destroy!

Post by Joey Chaos » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:48 pm

teedotjaydot wrote: How is it your place to say Ladd doesn't work? It's his job to make the bar money, and he does just that.
When he does shows he does that. When I do shows, I do that. If that's the way you look at, then Vaudeville owes me some money.

And you're out of your mind if you think Gus rarely signed contracts. I saw him sign plenty of them at Marys and signed plenty myself.

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:53 pm

jesus...i have forgotten more about booking/playing/mixing shows than either of you will will ever know...seriously.

having mixed sound at the mews, i know for a fact, that if funds are tight, they will (at a minimum) pull money out out of the drawer to make sure the band has, at a minimum, enough cash to make it to their next show. i have even taken a cut in pay to make sure the bands have gas-dough.

back to the point...scented vinyl is a cool idea. i just wish the suspects would do an unplugged (is that possible?) set.

joey c...you've done a lot of cool shows, but everything you've typed in this thread makes you look completely clueless.
obviously

teedotjaydot

Post by teedotjaydot » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:59 pm

done

and

done

re: FAB/Chezwicks reunion

Tom, you and I should get on Scented Vinyl the monday before this to spin rekkerdz and wax nostalgic.

needs to happen.

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:42 pm

joey...if you have financial issues with ladd, take it up via p.m., idiot.

joey...anytime i have dealt with you, you have always appeared to have things under control. obviously (copyright; davo) you fucked something up, or pissed someone off...don't try to pass the buck by flapping your gums.

joey...the show that i attended (that you booked) @ the b'wood was a blast. i'm just baffled at why you would spout your mouth in regards to venues that ,on paper, are on the same page as you.

**edit...yes, teej....we shall wax while waxing. set it up.
obviously

VaudeMews

Post by VaudeMews » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:19 pm

Our normal deal is 80/20% after staff cost ($75)
Joe, I'm sorry if you don't like our policy, but thats how it stands for all outside promoters. As far as the 20%, that is split between me and amedeo, it doesn't go straight to me. I've been at the mews for five years and the deal use to be 70/30%, 30% to the mews, which was difficult to work with bands.
Normally, sun-thurs, I don't make a dime and, sometimes, when I work the door, I take my "$25" and give it to the bands. On weekends, with shows I book, they usually work in my favor. On average though, I'm just happy to work with a great venue, Amedeo, and being able to bring a nice variety of tunes to dsm.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:05 pm

- The cost of the building, be it what they paid for it or the rent.

- Taxes, be it property, sales, on wages, etc.

- Utilities and maintainence.

- Employee wages and owner's profit

- Insurance

- Liscensing.

- Equipment

20% doesn't sound too bad.

joseph

Post by joseph » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:47 am

VaudeMews wrote:Our normal deal is 80/20% after staff cost ($75)
Joe, I'm sorry if you don't like our policy, but thats how it stands for all outside promoters. As far as the 20%, that is split between me and amedeo, it doesn't go straight to me. I've been at the mews for five years and the deal use to be 70/30%, 30% to the mews, which was difficult to work with bands.
Normally, sun-thurs, I don't make a dime and, sometimes, when I work the door, I take my "$25" and give it to the bands. On weekends, with shows I book, they usually work in my favor. On average though, I'm just happy to work with a great venue, Amedeo, and being able to bring a nice variety of tunes to dsm.
dont stop.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:37 pm

Tom wrote:j i just wish the suspects would do an unplugged (is that possible?) set.

You should beatbox for them.

Make it happen.

Joey Chaos
Destroy!

Post by Joey Chaos » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:43 pm

I never said I have any financial beef with the mews or Ladd, I just think the way things get done there sucks.

booking@vaudevillemews.com quote of the week. A band we may be playing with got a show at Vaudeville, and they told them to "find your own openers". Bang up job guys, keep up the hard work.

Smoking Guns

Post by Smoking Guns » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:28 pm

Joey Chaos wrote:I never said I have any financial beef with the mews or Ladd, I just think the way things get done there sucks.

booking@vaudevillemews.com quote of the week. A band we may be playing with got a show at Vaudeville, and they told them to "find your own openers". Bang up job guys, keep up the hard work.
this happens EVERYWHERE. especially with unknown or not well known bands. a lot of places won't let you play at all if you don't find a solid local or two, and after you do that, you still have to promote it yourself.

so... this is not uncommon in anyway.

Joey Chaos
Destroy!

Post by Joey Chaos » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:48 pm

I've been on a fewtours, and played tons of out of town shows. I also booked just about all of them and I've NEVER been asked to do anything of the sort. Must just be a gay Indie club thing.

teedotjaydot

Post by teedotjaydot » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:00 pm

you just can't quit sounding more and more ridiculous can you?

mind enlightening us with what band was treated so "unfair" by having to find their own support, which by the way, is not by any means abnormal.

arise devilfish

Post by arise devilfish » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:11 pm

I just happened by this site again, and I gotta say the mews and Ladd are more than fair with shitty local bands. One time I made 60$ there and noone was there to see me, then again I've been part of 4 shows that were cancelled there. It's a gamble, especially when Hank Fist won't commit to playing slide guitar with you. But you know, I don't give a shit about money, and if it came between me getting paid and the mews staying open, the mews can have my money. Especially seeing as they have pulled in some world class acts like AMC and Jonathan Richman.
Los embrac'd the Spectre, first as a brother,
Then as another Self, astonish'd, humanizing and in tears