Superhero

Re: internet cable providers

Post by Wheatstache » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:52 pm

Nothing fits that criteria.
Seriously

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:23 pm

i am finding this out. right now im paying 60 a month for internet(mediacom) and am iming with qwest. they got weird cancellation fees.

Nlaffey

Post by Nlaffey » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:41 pm

Between Qwest and Mediacom I'd go with Mediacom. The only pro I found with Qwest was better upload speed. Other than that they had shitty service and shitty down speeds.

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:45 pm

the service part im not that concerned with. i just dont want to pay 60 bucks a month to check email at home. i could get a homephone for 30 bucks and use aols free tryouts but itd still be a pain in the ass.

Jivi

Post by Jivi » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:55 pm

qwest requires you to get a phone for their internet. I have it and when my contracts up I'll probably switch to mediacom.
i'd rather die on my feet then live on my knees

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:54 pm

I just bought a laptop and have wifi at both the Studio and at DuBay's and since I got rid of a home phone years ago and only use mobile, I decided to go with Sprints EvDo. Most of their smart phones have a use as modem feature. It's a little slower then cable or DSL but you can use it anywhere and is costing me about $25 a month but I think it replaces the data plan that costed me $15 a month. The only coverage problem I've found was at my mom's in Pleasant Hill.
I paid my dues but I lost my Receipt.

Andy State

Post by Andy State » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:16 pm

Jivi wrote:qwest requires you to get a phone for their internet. I have it and when my contracts up I'll probably switch to mediacom.
Nope, qwest has standalone internet it just cost 10 dollars more so your looking at 36.99 a month.
I've got that PMA

robdigi

Post by robdigi » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:35 pm

I just ordered naked 7mbit service from Qwest and I pay 45 or so... but that's here and not there. Probably different pricing between markets.

Anyway, service quality varies greatly with location (and when I say varies by location I mean block to block) when it comes to DSL, so at least see what they can offer you as far as speed goes.

Does Earthlink offer service there? You can also shop for different ISPs when you use Qwest... my parents use a local service called NetINS. Qwest handles the lines, but not necessarily the internet service.
All that's missin' is the retired band teacher with the self-inflicted gunshot wound!

robdigi

Post by robdigi » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:39 pm

DaVo wrote:I just bought a laptop and have wifi at both the Studio and at DuBay's and since I got rid of a home phone years ago and only use mobile, I decided to go with Sprints EvDo. Most of their smart phones have a use as modem feature. It's a little slower then cable or DSL but you can use it anywhere and is costing me about $25 a month but I think it replaces the data plan that costed me $15 a month. The only coverage problem I've found was at my mom's in Pleasant Hill.

the problem with service like that is that the upload speed is awful. you can receive all the large file attachments you like, but sending anything over a megabyte takes ages. at least that was my experience last time I had to upload proofs to a print shop while on the road. 3 megabyte file... 30 minutes. no joke.
All that's missin' is the retired band teacher with the self-inflicted gunshot wound!

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Post by Big Fat Retard » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:02 pm

Fuck Mediacom and Qwest. They both charge way too much if you're not getting a special and both of their customer service depts suck the big one.

Hook up some free wireless and tell them to fuck off. Poor Man's Wi-Fi antenna http://www.exe64.com/mirror/wokfi/
I poop on Petland!

Andy State

Post by Andy State » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:23 pm

robdigi wrote:I just ordered naked 7mbit service from Qwest and I pay 45 or so... but that's here and not there. Probably different pricing between markets.

Anyway, service quality varies greatly with location (and when I say varies by location I mean block to block) when it comes to DSL, so at least see what they can offer you as far as speed goes.
Yea thats the price here as well for the 7mb if it is avalible, most of des moines has it but some areas still don't.
I've got that PMA

robdigi

Post by robdigi » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:58 pm

Big Fat Retard wrote:Fuck Mediacom and Qwest. They both charge way too much if you're not getting a special and both of their customer service depts suck the big one.

Hook up some free wireless and tell them to fuck off. Poor Man's Wi-Fi antenna http://www.exe64.com/mirror/wokfi/

I signed up and started using Qwest service in January and they never sent me a bill.

I moved a few days ago, and when I tried to transfer my service they had no record of me ever having an account. So I got three free months of service and I don't have to rent a modem because I can use the one they sent me earlier. Whoooo.

Anyway, stolen wireless sucks because it is not dependable. I need a solid ping if I am going to properly pwn nubz in Team Fortress 2.