More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Re: Just Do It, new 515 HC band

Post by Joe » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:12 pm

No, I'm saying watching someone play Oblivion instead of going to a show to see our friends in In Defence is fucking retarded.

-Joe.

Nickyouredead

Post by Nickyouredead » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:36 pm

Sorry bros, I was slacking.

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:43 pm

Nick, you rule, I see you at a lot of shows, so I'm not shitting on you or anything... I just think it's stupid when absolutely no member of your band showed up to this hardcore show and you want the whole of 515crew to check out your hardcore band.

-Joe.

tylerjames515

Post by tylerjames515 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:41 am

just to fill you in, anthony was working till ten.
aaron works graveyard shift so its hard for him to make shows like that unless notified before hand.

I think it's really weak you're saying none of us take part in the hardcore scene man...

I would have gone to this show but I am a broke ass bum, anyone who knows me can fill you in on that, so sorry if we let you down for not coming to this one show.
Rooster wrote:cant worship the devil unless you are 21 now

ilikehorses
Fun\Death Dealer

Post by ilikehorses » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:57 am

for me, as it seems to be with Joe, i have a hard time taking a band seriously if i don't see them out supporting other bands. you don't have to be at every show, but you definitely have to a regular at the shows...
Even today, I can't see a car run a red light without instantly having an image flash into my head of a man's erect penis, penetrating a watermelon.

UGH I SUCK

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:35 pm

tylerjames515 wrote:just to fill you in, anthony was working till ten.
aaron works graveyard shift so its hard for him to make shows like that unless notified before hand.

I think it's really weak you're saying none of us take part in the hardcore scene man...

I would have gone to this show but I am a broke ass bum, anyone who knows me can fill you in on that, so sorry if we let you down for not coming to this one show.
have you dooders gone to any shows?

jjjsXe

Post by jjjsXe » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:56 pm

it's not that you guys don't go to ANY shows. it was just THAT particular show was a must see. i mean, $6, that is nothing, you can return cans and get more back. AND, it was the black market fetus/in defense split release show, support local shit!!.
this show as pretty talked up, definitely talked about long enough to take the night off work in advance... not to mention knuckled down played.

it is just crazy to me who goes to what shows and when. sometimes i see a million different people that i have never even seen before at 1 show out of a year. i think it is shitty when you go to 1 show and try to claim to be a functioning member of this organization. every show should be like the in defense/fetus show from NOW on. no more skipping shows, ok guys? board games are not excuses, ever.
abortions for some, miniature american flags for others

joseph

Post by joseph » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:04 pm

jjjsXe wrote:it's not that you guys don't go to ANY shows. it was just THAT particular show was a must see.
well if they dont go to shows regularly how would they know it was a must see? i think everybodys giving them too much shit. it was one show. you dont want to discourage people from going to shows...

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:22 pm

jjjsXe wrote:it was the black market fetus/in defense split release show, support local shit!!
jjjsXe wrote:support local shit!!
-Joe.

JillJillJill

Post by JillJillJill » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:07 pm

I wanted to come, but I would've had to leave at 8:30.

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:15 pm

you would have seen 4/5ths of the show, including In Defence...just sayin'

JillJillJill

Post by JillJillJill » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:18 pm

TooManyHumyns wrote:you would have seen 4/5ths of the show, including In Defence...just sayin'
I honestly thought I wouldn't.

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:21 pm

oops

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:23 pm

Well...
...the show had to finish by 9...
...so it only makes sense...

-Joe.

JillJillJill

Post by JillJillJill » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:32 pm

k, didn't know. sorry.

Potter

Post by Potter » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:43 pm

side door rules.

tylerjames515

Post by tylerjames515 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:08 pm

TooManyHumyns wrote:

Nope, never ever.
how many of you went up to cedar falls to see trash talk?
or ruiner?

you can't say none of us take part in the hardcore scene.

there are different types of hardcore you guys know right?

ilikehorses
Fun\Death Dealer

Post by ilikehorses » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:19 pm

tylerjames515 wrote:
TooManyHumyns wrote:

Nope, never ever.
or ruiner?

this is des moines. these people live ten minutes from this show. we're not talking about people driving two hours to get to some show.

also, i wasn't at this show in question because i was at work. totally lame, i know. but that's how it was.
Even today, I can't see a car run a red light without instantly having an image flash into my head of a man's erect penis, penetrating a watermelon.

UGH I SUCK

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:19 pm

tylerjames515 wrote:
TooManyHumyns wrote:

Nope, never ever.
or ruiner?

did you come to dsm to see ruiner when they played at the mews?
you have white plugs. shut up, break edge, leave the scene and save everyone a year.

Andy State

Post by Andy State » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:25 pm

tylerjames515 wrote:
TooManyHumyns wrote:

Nope, never ever.
or ruiner?

So you can drive to cedar falls to see shows but when great shows come to des moines you say you don't have the money. Thats why shows stop coming to des moines then people like you complain when no shows come to des moines anymore.
I've got that PMA

tylerjames515

Post by tylerjames515 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:33 pm

I haven't complained about shows...there have been plenty coming.
What I AM saying is there are different types of hardcore. Yes this is des moines, and I support hardcore in des moines. I support hardcore. period. Some of us didn't know about this show, others did but had reasons for not going. People do miss shows. It happens. You catch the next one when you can. This whole arguement is weak and should probably stop here. You guys can say "oh you didn't come to this show" but I doubt any of you went to risky business / righteous jams which was in Iowa City? It's only okay to go to hardcore shows in des moines and call people out and say they aren't a part of the scene if they miss the shows here. Quit being so stuck up about it.

aaronxxx

Post by aaronxxx » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:38 pm

this shit is retarded. evidently you guys don't know us. so now every time i miss a show i gotta let you guys know why first. i'll have to remeber that.

Andy State

Post by Andy State » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:41 pm

tylerjames515 wrote:I haven't complained about shows...there have been plenty coming.
What I AM saying is there are different types of hardcore. Yes this is des moines, and I support hardcore in des moines. I support hardcore. period. Some of us didn't know about this show, others did but had reasons for not going. People do miss shows. It happens. You catch the next one when you can. This whole arguement is weak and should probably stop here. You guys can say "oh you didn't come to this show" but I doubt any of you went to risky business / righteous jams which was in Iowa City? It's only okay to go to hardcore shows in des moines and call people out and say they aren't a part of the scene if they miss the shows here. Quit being so stuck up about it.

Me and Jordan were at that show in Iowa City... just sayin

aaronxxx wrote:this shit is retarded. evidently you guys don't know us. so now every time i miss a show i gotta let you guys know why first. i'll have to remeber that.

aaron i know you go to show when you can. How you been dude?
I've got that PMA

jjjsXe

Post by jjjsXe » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:40 am

i was at the risky business / righteous jams show in iowa city. that was like 2 years ago, what does that have to do with anything?

no one is "calling anyone out," (lame term) i was merely wondering where you dudes, who are obviously newish to des moines LOCAL shows and into this shit enough to form your own band and want people to support it, were during a pretty significant show for des moines. then i compared you guys to the people that i think are lame because they come to one major show out of a years worth of amazing local shows and consider themselves to be active local fans.

i'm not trying to scare you dudes from coming out to other shows, i was just disappointed that the newest members of the des moines local scene didn't show up to a fucking awesome local show that i'm pretty sure everyone knew about. it was just kinda a bummer to not feel the support for our friends from our friends. this shit got blown slightly out of proportion due to people adding more and more to what i initially instigated. either way, you missed a good show and it sucks for you that you weren't there, for whatever reason you can throw out.
abortions for some, miniature american flags for others

tylerjames515

Post by tylerjames515 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:15 am

You're acting like we just got into this scene? I'm sure it was a great show, but that was a pretty weak statement to make.

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:19 am

Shit has gotten outta hand, blown out of proportion.

Ruiner are shitty people, fuck those dudes.

-Joe.

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:25 am

tylerjames515 wrote:You're acting like we just got into this scene? I'm sure it was a great show, but that was a pretty weak statement to make.
Ugh, this sucks.
I hate how this turned into "us" and "them", "we" and "they".

UGGGGGH
Just go to shows. Who gives a shit what type of hardcore it is? It's punk rock, fuck it.

-Joe.

Jeff Chord

Post by Jeff Chord » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:29 am

tylerjames515 wrote:
TooManyHumyns wrote:

Nope, never ever.
or ruiner?

First off, I will go ahead and say that In Defence played way better than that shitty band Ruiner did. Trash Talk didn't happen because of a dumb mistake I made but come see them April 28th. And MAY 16TH in your HOME TOWN! I'm not saying you have to go to every show, hell last summer I missed the Helm (i regret x10000000000000000000) Lighten Up, Let Down and Cross Examination, you can't go to EVERY show if you have to pay rent, but go to all the ones you can. You dont' know when these bands will break up and it could be sooner than you want to admit depending on how much they get paid on the road in merch sales and door prices. Shit sucks on the road sometimes and every dollar counts. A tshirt gets a band in a 15 passenger van about 100 miles on the road on average. Thats from here to des Moines and thats ONE shirt and 10 dollars that frankly you'll only miss if you eat Big Macs every day. Hardcore support and unity, get into it.

Jeff Chord

Post by Jeff Chord » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:35 am

Also noted that I was also at that risky biz/Righteous Jams show in IC like 2 years ago and fail to see what that has to do with supporting your hometown boys in Colonizer, Knuckled Down and BMF and out of towners Quick Fix and In Defence. I actually think you guys as a band have a lot of potential and that your style is one that Im into, I just think the same way as I do about bands from waterloo/cf that try and ask for support and shows without giving any effort as I do in des moines, if you don't support don't expect any back.

Just sayin.

Much love
Jeff :wink:

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:38 am

Okay, I'm going to attempt to type a lot. This is going to help keep me focused on what's to come with the Des Moines scene.

I think, and I'm pretty sure that plenty of others agree with me, that we are at a very pivotal point in the growth of the Des Moines DIY scene. Ever since the Fallout Shelter closed up until only very recently (6 months or so ago), I felt that the DIY scene in Des Moines was, I dunno, gone. Hairy Mary's was still around, I just didn't feel quite at home there like others here did. It felt awesome as a teenager to go to shows at the botanical center, the Fallout Shelter, Hairy Mary's (yes, thinking back I do miss the place), and see LOTS of people, LOTS and LOTS of people, old and young, new and not-so-new. When the Fallout Shelter closed down... it just felt that all the DIY scene ethics fell apart. Sure, other shortlived venues popped up (Da Bassment, The Facement), but we were just missing that, I dunno... pulse that we had with venues like the botan and Fallout. DIY was gone to me.

Then, we started doing shows at the Haunted Basement and shit just took off. I AM SO GLAD TO SEE KIDS STOKED ON PUNK ROCK AGAIN. It feels so good to see kids pack that room tight. At the age of 22, I seriously still feel like I'm 14, 15 years old going to shows, it's still an awesome experience to see everyone get into a smalltime hardcore, punk, metal, whatever band. From 2003 to recently, we only got that in very small doses... now it's happening at every show in town.

Here's what sucks though... we're sitting here and arguing about who is more true to hardcore, who has more room to fucking talk. Fuck all this. This is something I don't want to see now. Back in 2004, I wouldn't have fucking cared if this argument took place. Now, it seems pointless. It seems like all it will eventually do is hinder the growth of the scene here in Des Moines, and it will AGAIN splinter off into stupid little groups. I am not looking forward to that, and if I can help it... that won't happen.

I'm glad House of Bricks banned any sort of movement at all from their establishment. Effectively they gave up on all the kids that supported the place, pushing them to other places. Hopefully now anyone that is involved with "hardcore" (even the kids that are into hardcore for the name only... maybe they'll find out what hardcore really is) will come together and we can have a huge thriving scene instead of being splintered into stupid subgroups. Ask any touring band that has played Des Moines recently; they are COMPLETELY stoked on this city.

So, yeah, you guys missed the In Defence/Black Market Fetus split 7" release show. It was a good show, a really really good show. It fucking sucks that you couldn't make it out. Here's what you can do though... when the 7" is available at ZZZ, go pick it up. I guarantee you will like it. I don't have the 7" (the label fucked up and couldn't ship it on the correct day or something), but I've heard the tracks and they're great. And, in the future, try not to miss big local shows like this. Hardcore is all about bettering yourself and bettering your scene. Shows are posted on here all the time, so don't miss out.

Seriously...
GO TO SHOWS!
GO TO SHOWS!
GO TO SHOWS!
That means going to as many local shows as you can, not just the big ones that come through every couple of months.
Talk to people at shows.
Introduce yourself to new kids at shows. Make them feel welcomed. Shake their hand.
Hang out with them AFTER shows!
Help flier for shows!
Listen to records.
Buy a records from touring bands.
Even if you didn't like a band, buy their record and give them a second chance.
Buy a t-shirt from a band you really liked.
DONATE MONEY TO TOURING BANDS. (Some of you are guilty of not doing this. You know who you are and that sucks.)
Start a band. It's easy.
Burn music for other people to listen to.
Write a zine.
Start a website.
Take a stand.
SUPPORT EACH OTHER.
GO TO SHOWS!

Whatever you do, put your heart into it and don't exclude others.

I'm really excited for Des Moines' DIY, hardcore, punk rock, WHATEVER YOU WANNA CALL IT future. I'm excited for our scene's future. I'm pumped on everyone else's positive outlook as well. Let's keep this shit rolling, let's stop arguing, let's go to some shows!

"What gives when content takes a holiday
and the kids have nothing left to say?
well we're here today.
Here today.
We're here.
"

I'm sure I have more to say, but... you get my point.

Friends forever.

-Joe.