More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

@nonymous

Re: New Issue of Cityview

Post by @nonymous » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:54 am

Heshua wrote:Then you and your sister were not present for the shooting. Do you mean you wandered over there after the shooting, and were present for the aftermath?
no, i mean we were walking from the park with her kids and saw the family yelling to the police that he was suicidal and they had already called someone, that he had slit his wrists, did not have a gun and was mentally challenged. we left because we didn't think it'd be a good idea for my nieces to see someone get shot. later that night we saw on the news that the cops shot him down from the roof.

you aren't staying on topic.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats" - H. L. Mencken

Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:31 am

anarchy / punkrock aside, i laughed my pussy off when i saw a friend of mine in there.

Cosmo

Post by Cosmo » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:02 pm

A couple things, unless it happened recently, Gannett doesn't own Cityview. Cityview and Pointblank, for all intents and purposes merged together, however Pointblank people bought Cityview, or something like that.

Anyway, second, I find it pretty hard to believe that there are police involved shootings in Des Moines, that the media doesn't know about. DM isn't too big or too small that a person could come up dead by gsw and it not be looked into. I do think that the police serve a definite good in the community, however, as with any profession, there are the assholes that make it that much harder for everyone else to do their job. Broad generalizations about an entire group of people, are usually, at best, inaccurate.

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:24 pm

cosmo wrote:A couple things, unless it happened recently, Gannett doesn't own Cityview. Cityview and Pointblank, for all intents and purposes merged together, however Pointblank people bought Cityview, or something like that.
cityview bought out pointblank back in 2005. cityview is owned by Big Green Umbrella Media, whose co-owner is Michael Gartner(former president of the Des Moines Register, former general news executive for Gannet Co. and USA Today and former President of NBC News). my friend co-owned pointblank and for a time and worked during the merge to cityview before being fired for writing good stories--everything that goes into cityview crosses Gartner first. cityview is not an alternative weekly, it's garbage.
cosmo wrote:Anyway, second, I find it pretty hard to believe that there are police involved shootings in Des Moines, that the media doesn't know about. DM isn't too big or too small that a person could come up dead by gsw and it not be looked into. I do think that the police serve a definite good in the community, however, as with any profession, there are the assholes that make it that much harder for everyone else to do their job. Broad generalizations about an entire group of people, are usually, at best, inaccurate.
@nonymous wrote:i'll say it again: the only reason i brought up my frustration with how the police were painted was because of the SUBTEXT that was presented--"police always good. criminals always bad. look at these criminals, look and entertain yourself with what they've done and relish in the fact that you are better than them because you don't break the law, ever, and are from a background and education with which your privilege allows you to be ignorant of others' situation in life."
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats" - H. L. Mencken

Wheatstache
Superhero

Post by Wheatstache » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:53 am

Seriously

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:06 pm

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:06 pm

Captain Caveman wrote:anarchy / punkrock aside, i laughed my pussy off when i saw a friend of mine in there.
LOL
Same here.

-Joe.