Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

DaVo

Old School YoPos Hardcore @ DuBay's

Post by DaVo » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:19 pm

Tonight from 11pm to 2am I'll be playing
7 Seconds the Crew
Minor Threat
Some Got Their Head Kicked in.
and whatever the positive sprint moves me to play. If anyone has anything from that period and would like to bring it in, please do so. Especially Walk Together, Rock Together and Sink with Kalifornija. Or even some Uniforn Choice, SS Decontrol or DYS I used to have both of them but they have been lost to the passing of time.

10pm - midnight
$2.00 domestic Bottles and Wells
$5.00 planter's punch
Sodas $1.00

As always $1.50 PBR Bottles

DuBay's
1229 25th St
Des Moines, IA
http://dubaysdsm.com
515-255-0535

Next Wednesday it's the darker side with The Birthday Party, Christian Death and TSOL
I paid my dues but I lost my Receipt.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Re: Old School YoPos Hardcore @ DuBay's

Post by El Rhino » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:57 am

Tonight was a success, as I brought in the Youth Brigade "Sink With California" 7" and Uniform Choice.

jjjsXe

Post by jjjsXe » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:43 am

what uniform choice? scream for change, straight and alert or staring into the sun? i thought about going to this but i was too busy watching a documentary on straight edge on the national geographic channel. so apparently dipshits in reno are putting straight edge on the top of the most dangerous gang list these days. what happened to straight edge ideals like positive outlook, walk together rock together, and violence to fade?
abortions for some, miniature american flags for others

joseph

Post by joseph » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:48 am

jjjsXe wrote:what happened to straight edge ideals like positive outlook, walk together rock together, and violence to fade?
the same thing that happened to punk, hardcore and emo.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:55 pm

jjjsXe wrote:what uniform choice? scream for change, straight and alert or staring into the sun? i thought about going to this but i was too busy watching a documentary on straight edge on the national geographic channel. so apparently dipshits in reno are putting straight edge on the top of the most dangerous gang list these days. what happened to straight edge ideals like positive outlook, walk together rock together, and violence to fade?
It was Scream for Change. I had forgotten all about that stupid poem on the end. I remember when Pat Dubar turned male model and got all sissy.

I blame it all on Boston and their whole Wolf Pack bullshit. It seems that the more Skinhead influenced the Straight Edge movement the more it became a us vs them thing. A lot of Skinheads in the 80s who were non-racist and straight edge needed a target and tended to pick Drunks and Junkies. That usually translated into rolling bums.

I will have to look for the Doc, I'd like to see it. What was the name of it?

One of the records I played for the first time in 15 years last night was The Inbred - A Family Affair. It was for this song about 7 Seconds:

Hi! My name is Jimmy! Do you like to skate?
Do you have a ramp? Do you smoke pot?
My mom's takin' me to the gig tonite
Right after I get out of my boy scout meeting!

Go! Do it! Uh-huh!

You talk so much about unity
when what we need is solidarity
Not just between the people in the scene
but everybody in between

But if you're not in their crew
They don't have much to do with you
Why don't you go and build a treehouse, too?

Thought you were helping to blaze new trails
Now it costs 5 bucks for you to answer my mail

Go! Do it! Uh-huh!

Why shouldn't mom and dad be behind the band?
You don't do anything that upsets them
Wally and Beaver were never that good
in their make-believe neighborhood

Be positive in your fantasy world
Go and skate rad in the park
You don't care about anything
execept what time the next gig starts!

Go! Do it! Uh-huh!

Hey, man, let's go out to the van and catch
a buzz and I'll tell ya all about this new
song I wrote... Yeh, what's it called?...
It's called 'Straight Ahead'...

Okay, I wanna tell everybody about a very
bad thing in this world, and if everybody
skates a lot and goes to a lot of shows,
everything's gonna be okay, alright?

Go! Do it! Uh-huh!

See Spot chase the ball see Jon run see Jon fall
We're not kids anymore this is 1984
You think being young is all there is to be
well so did the nazis in Germany

There's more to life than hardcore
Just what the fuck are you fighting for?
Go to Hell right NOW
I paid my dues but I lost my Receipt.

tylerjames515

Post by tylerjames515 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:11 pm

jjjsXe wrote:what uniform choice? scream for change, straight and alert or staring into the sun? i thought about going to this but i was too busy watching a documentary on straight edge on the national geographic channel. so apparently dipshits in reno are putting straight edge on the top of the most dangerous gang list these days. what happened to straight edge ideals like positive outlook, walk together rock together, and violence to fade?
hahaha
Last edited by tylerjames515 on Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rooster wrote:cant worship the devil unless you are 21 now

tylerjames515

Post by tylerjames515 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:11 pm

yeah they just followed that shitty xafbx band around...
I think they should have focused more on bands like Carry On & the positivity of straight edge and how it's helped alot of different people from all walks of life.
Rooster wrote:cant worship the devil unless you are 21 now

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:08 pm

I haven't seen the straight edge documentary yet, but I assume they spent a good amount of time talking about the more violent aspects of sXe in places like SLC, Boston and apparently....Reno, NV. I suppose they could have made a documentary about the positive influence of sXe, but which is more interesting: Making a documentary about kids playing Monopoly, listening to hardcore and booking DIY shows or making a documentary about rolling drunks? I vote for the latter.

The Nat'l Geographic skinhead documentary was pretty good. The SHARP and traditional skin dude they picked to interview were complete dorks and total nobodies on the scene. They actually presented the Keystone State Skinheads (http://www.keystoneunited.com) in a fairly decent light, I was kind of shocked by that. Everyone else came off as a little off though. For the most part, it was probably about as neutral of a documentary on that subject as you'll get. I imagine there was some objectivity in the sXe one as well.

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:57 am

http://www.amazon.com/Straight-Edge-Cle ... 0813538521

ive been meaning to buy this. I went to high school in S.D. with Ross for a couple of years. He was always a very very stand up guy.