More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

DARKBASS

Heard something interesting on NPR the other day....

Post by DARKBASS » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:59 pm

This was a rebroadcast of an old story, after some talk of Roger Clemens.....so I searched for the old article.....

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=5314753
MARK'O'WAR

noel_nothing

Re: Heard something interesting on NPR the other day....

Post by noel_nothing » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:19 pm

speaking of radio, i heard you on 97.7 last week.

DARKBASS

Post by DARKBASS » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:09 pm

ha, cool.....

Cory Ford cracks me up!
MARK'O'WAR

DARKBASS

Post by DARKBASS » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:12 pm

speaking of pitchers......

my favorite was always some guy I saw play when I was just a little kid.....

some guy from Texas, what was his name again.........

oh yeah

NOLAN FUCKING RYAN!!

MARK'O'WAR

Wheatstache
Superhero

Post by Wheatstache » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:34 pm

DARKBASS wrote:speaking of pitchers......

oh yeah

NOLAN FUCKING RYAN!!

That was one of the greatest baseball moments ever. I think I stayed home from school that day and actually watched it happen.
Seriously

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:37 pm

is this the one when Ryan was 45?

noel_nothing

Post by noel_nothing » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:55 pm

nolan just took ventura to school. everyone thought ventura was gonna beat the old man, but surprise, surprise :lol:

Joey Chaos
Destroy!

Post by Joey Chaos » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:05 pm

Wheatstache wrote:
DARKBASS wrote:speaking of pitchers......

oh yeah

NOLAN FUCKING RYAN!!

That was one of the greatest baseball moments ever. I think I stayed home from school that day and actually watched it happen.

I saw that too, good shit. I have a Nolan Ryan autograph at my moms, here in about 25 more years that'll be buying me a new car.

Not to get off the subject, but I still say it's utter bullshit that everyone is still getting down on Barry Bonds for the juice. Yeah, so he did it, a pretty high percentage of MLB players have used it at one point or another, and noone gave a shit. Barry just got picked on because he happened to break that record. Putting the ball out of the park takes more than muscle, and apparently Barry Bonds had the rest.

joseph

Post by joseph » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:53 am

Joey Chaos wrote:Not to get off the subject, but I still say it's utter bullshit that everyone is still getting down on Barry Bonds for the juice. Yeah, so he did it, a pretty high percentage of MLB players have used it at one point or another, and noone gave a shit. Barry just got picked on because he happened to break that record. Putting the ball out of the park takes more than muscle, and apparently Barry Bonds had the rest.
barry got picked because hes a prick and he was an obvious user. i talk shit on his fielding mostly and hes also a liar.

wait YOURE defending bonds? thats weird.

DARKBASS

Post by DARKBASS » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:55 pm

well I am glad we found something we have agreed on unanimously so far!

Nolan Ryan was great! The sports world needs more people with mindsets like him!

ha.......

I have some Nolan Ryan cards, but no rookie cards.......

nothing signed either.....

However I did do that thing at the museum outside of the Rangers Stadium were you can simulate being the catcher to a Nolan Ryan fastball.......

that was pretty awesome!
MARK'O'WAR

Joey Chaos
Destroy!

Post by Joey Chaos » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:00 pm

joseph wrote:
Joey Chaos wrote:Not to get off the subject, but I still say it's utter bullshit that everyone is still getting down on Barry Bonds for the juice. Yeah, so he did it, a pretty high percentage of MLB players have used it at one point or another, and noone gave a shit. Barry just got picked on because he happened to break that record. Putting the ball out of the park takes more than muscle, and apparently Barry Bonds had the rest.
barry got picked because hes a prick and he was an obvious user. i talk shit on his fielding mostly and hes also a liar.

wait YOURE defending bonds? thats weird.
Yeah, he's one of those, but still a good power hitter nonetheless. I agree about his fielding, average at best, but he was a good hitter with, or without the juice. Obvious or not, noone cared until after he broke the record.

noel_nothing

Post by noel_nothing » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:04 pm

i dont think he would've broke the record without the juice. the extra muscle is what allowed a hit that would've made the outfield into a homerun. sure, he has the skill to hit the ball already, but the juice made the ball go a little further. look at ken griffey junior. no juice there, no real records broken, but an excellent player. same goes for cal ripken. he made the record for most games played & was an excellent player.

i guess i should mention that i am a jose canseco fan while we're on the juice topic. cant approve of everything he's done in the past, but i think with his book & testifying before congress, he's trying to make amends.

joseph

Post by joseph » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:09 pm

noel_nothing wrote:i dont think he would've broke the record without the juice. the extra muscle is what allowed a hit that would've made the outfield into a homerun. sure, he has the skill to hit the ball already, but the juice made the ball go a little further. look at ken griffey junior. no juice there, no real records broken, but an excellent player. same goes for cal ripken. he made the record for most games played & was an excellent player.

i guess i should mention that i am a jose canseco fan while we're on the juice topic. cant approve of everything he's done in the past, but i think with his book & testifying before congress, he's trying to make amends.
hasnt griffey jr been on the injured roster more than in a lineup? cal ripken jrs record is for consecutive games, i wouldnt say showing up for what you get paid to do makes him excellent. canseco is trying to get paid. i liked the canseco brothers thought they were gonna join wwf...

rickey is rickey.

Wheatstache
Superhero

Post by Wheatstache » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:11 pm

noel_nothing wrote:i dont think he would've broke the record without the juice. the extra muscle is what allowed a hit that would've made the outfield into a homerun. sure, he has the skill to hit the ball already, but the juice made the ball go a little further. look at ken griffey junior. no juice there, no real records broken, but an excellent player. same goes for cal ripken. he made the record for most games played & was an excellent player.

Griffey didn't break the record because he's had a total of about four seasons of injuries. ESPN projected his stats had he stayed healthy, and he indeed would have destroyed that record, and others. So, no juice, but that's not why he didn't break records.
Seriously

aeon grey

Post by aeon grey » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:35 pm

which sucks because i have a mint griffey jr rookie card... i could use like an extra $1000

Varg
Failed DMACC

Post by Varg » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:55 pm

If pitchers are on gear....then it's only FAIR that everyone else is on gear. That's how you level the playing field.

/thread.
---success in social interaction lies in making them afraid to see you disapprove

Joey Chaos
Destroy!

Post by Joey Chaos » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:03 pm

Hank Aaron = 6' 180 lbs

Barry Bonds = 6'2" 230 lbs

Both great hitters. With or without juice, he probably would have broken the record.

joseph

Post by joseph » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:41 pm

i blame selig

noel_nothing

Post by noel_nothing » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:59 pm

selig = douche

griffey is still good, but deffinately been on the dl too much.

ripken was good too. not the greatest or anything, but good. the game record isn't a big deal, but it shows he was committed to the game.

joseph

Post by joseph » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:06 pm

noel_nothing wrote:selig = douche

ripken was good too. not the greatest or anything, but good. the game record isn't a big deal, but it shows he was committed to the game.
i dont know. i used to wonder about that iron man record alot. there were games he wasnt feeling up to it, there had to been, and he was on the roster anyway. so he was hurting his team(not that the team was all that good) by being in the game when someone else who was 100 percent couldve been in. guess i always thought it was a selfish record that didnt mean much.

how much credit do you give a coworker that hasnt missed a day of work?

Wheatstache
Superhero

Post by Wheatstache » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:10 pm

joseph wrote:
noel_nothing wrote:selig = douche

i dont know. i used to wonder about that iron man record alot. there were games he wasnt feeling up to it, there had to been, and he was on the roster anyway. so he was hurting his team(not that the team was all that good) by being in the game when someone else who was 100 percent couldve been in. guess i always thought it was a selfish record that didnt mean much.

how much credit do you give a coworker that hasnt missed a day of work?
You guys are out of your minds.
Seriously

joseph

Post by joseph » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:44 pm

Wheatstache wrote:You guys are out of your minds.
yeah. sportsball...

DARKBASS

Post by DARKBASS » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:54 am

I would say the Orioles coach could have sat Ripken if he thought he was hurting the team with his "streak"......

it may not be the coolest record to hold, but it definitely is a respectable record.

Griffey went all wrong when he WANTED to get traded to Cincinnati......

Horrible.
MARK'O'WAR

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:57 am

DARKBASS wrote:I would say the Orioles coach could have sat Ripken if he thought he was hurting the team with his "streak"......
more.
wasnt the manager ripken sr.? isnt the "streak" the only appeal the orioles had? going to see the orioles during his run was kinda like going to see gg allin. youre just waiting for the finale...

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:10 am

may 30 1982 - sept 20 1998 was the span of games

these were the managers during

Earl Weaver (1968-82; 1985-86)
Joe Altobelli (1983-85)
Cal Ripken Sr. (1987-88)
Frank Robinson (1988-91)
Johnny Oates (1991-94)
Phil Regan (1995)
Davey Johnson (1996-97)
Ray Miller (1998-99)
so i correct myself and apoligize.

Joey Chaos
Destroy!

Post by Joey Chaos » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:21 pm

The Orioles have never been an astounding team, and I would have to say the the streak probably filled a lot of seats. That being said, Ripken jr was always very good on the field, and always mediocre at the plate (even in later years), so I don't think he hurt the team in any way.