More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

Joey Chaos
Destroy!

WTF?

Post by Joey Chaos » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:16 pm

So a couple of weeks ago I got pulled over and charged with driving while suspended. I knew I was suspended, but was on my way home from work. The first thing I asked the guy when he came up to the window was, why'd you stop me. His answer, "because you're suspended". I then asked why he ran my plates in the first place, and he told me to mind my own business. I don't have any crazy hairdo anymore mind you, and my work truck is reasonably nice. The officer also had just moved to the town I got stopped in, he had never seen me before in his life.

After talking with another officer, and a lawyer, it came to my attention that he didn't have probable cause to stop me, and I should plead not guilty. I'm not worried about the fine, but I have had a very bad driving record in the past, and don't wanna get to many points and get barred.

I went to court today, and pled not guilty. The judge asked if I was "not driving" or "not suspended". I politely explain to him, that I was suspended, but on my way home from work, and unable to get a work permit, and that the officer had no probable cause, furthermore, I plan to hire a lawyer and prove that. He then calls the county sheriff into the room, and tells me I have three choices.

A. post a 3000 dollar bond

B. Sit in jail until May 7th then go to court

C. Plead guilty.

Sounds like he blackmailed me into pleading guilty huh?

joseph

Re: WTF?

Post by joseph » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:28 pm

sounds like you
-shouldnt of been driving.

-shouldve pled guilty.

-shouldve hired a lawyer.

moltar

Post by moltar » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:29 pm

I'm dumb.

Joey Chaos
Destroy!

Post by Joey Chaos » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:32 pm

I had to drive to get to work.

I didn't want to plead guilty because I don't want to get barred.

I was planning on hiring a lawyer, but it's not necessary when you go in to plea on a non inditable (sp?) charge.

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Post by Big Fat Retard » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:35 pm

Should have posted the bond.
I poop on Petland!

Joey Chaos
Destroy!

Post by Joey Chaos » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:37 pm

Didn't have it on me ( I would've had I known this bullshit was gonna go on).

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:38 pm

Joey Chaos wrote: I was planning on hiring a lawyer, but it's not necessary when you go in to plea on a non inditable (sp?) charge.
sounds like the judge told you it was necessary to hire a lawyer based on what he told you.

i was playing the multiple choice game.

Joey Chaos
Destroy!

Post by Joey Chaos » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:39 pm

They weren't saying "when you come back for court, bring a lawyer or you'll go to jail". They were saying, plead guilty or you're going to jail right now".

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:41 pm

So what happens when/if you plead guilty?

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:42 pm

Joey Chaos wrote:They weren't saying "when you come back for court, bring a lawyer or you'll go to jail". They were saying, plead guilty or you're going to jail right now".
yes and if you wouldve hired a lawyer he would of told you what the judge was going to say. so you wouldve been prepared to post bond or whatever... how much does the ticket cost? or does your license stay extra suspended?

Joey Chaos
Destroy!

Post by Joey Chaos » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:43 pm

I get another 350 dollars in fines, and two more points towards them barring my license. The moral of the story is, I knew I was suspended, and the only place I drove is to and from work. I was very careful not to break the law, and just because this little cocksucker didn't like the looks of me, I went to jail, had to pay a 100 dollar impound fee, and am now facing even more fines, which have to be paid before I can get my license back.

Joey Chaos
Destroy!

Post by Joey Chaos » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:46 pm

joseph wrote: yes and if you wouldve hired a lawyer he would of told you what the judge was going to say. so you wouldve been prepared to post bond or whatever... how much does the ticket cost? or does your license stay extra suspended?
I think the fact of the matter is, if I would have had a lawyer with me to dbag judge never would have said anything like that at all. But normally you don't need a lawyer until you actually go to court, this asshole was just on the rag or something.

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:51 pm

Joey Chaos wrote:But normally you don't need a lawyer until you actually go to court,
everybody ive heard this from has had a problem... just sayin

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:14 pm

Was this an arraignment or a trial? It seems that you should have been able to plead not guilty and set a trial date. At that point the judge can request a bond be paid or jail till trial. It's a way from traffic court to speed up things and freeing up their calander by not allowing a majority of cases to go to trial. There is a fourth option by the way. Go to jail and bond out later. I don't think that they can hold you without bond unless your are a threat to others without sentencing you.

So yes it is laziness and blackmail.
I paid my dues but I lost my Receipt.

Joey Chaos
Destroy!

Post by Joey Chaos » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:18 pm

DaVo wrote:Was this an arraignment or a trial? It seems that you should have been able to plead not guilty and set a trial date. At that point the judge can request a bond be paid or jail till trial. It's a way from traffic court to speed up things and freeing up their calander by not allowing a majority of cases to go to trial. There is a fourth option by the way. Go to jail and bond out later. I don't think that they can hold you without bond unless your are a threat to others without sentencing you.

This was just an initial appearance, neither an arraignment or a trial, seems that way to me too.

Going to jail wasn't an option, without risking my job. They probably wouldn't fire me, but I didn't want to chance it.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:33 pm

Joey Chaos wrote:
DaVo wrote:Was this an arraignment or a trial? It seems that you should have been able to plead not guilty and set a trial date. At that point the judge can request a bond be paid or jail till trial. It's a way from traffic court to speed up things and freeing up their calander by not allowing a majority of cases to go to trial. There is a fourth option by the way. Go to jail and bond out later. I don't think that they can hold you without bond unless your are a threat to others without sentencing you.

This was just an initial appearance, neither an arraignment or a trial, seems that way to me too.

Going to jail wasn't an option, without risking my job. They probably wouldn't fire me, but I didn't want to chance it.
See and the lazy judge used this against you. Now he gets to hit the golf course a little earlier that day.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:33 pm

Joey Chaos wrote:

See and the lazy judge used this against you. Now he gets to hit the golf course a little earlier that day.

Tom

Post by Tom » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:48 am

unfortunately, it's not against policy to randomly run plate numbers (the seasoned brass call this "fishing"). assuming the registered owner of the vehicle is suspended/revoked/unlicensed/whatever, they are within the law to pull the vehicle over. i know it sucks as i have been there.

your best bet is to ask the judge to give you time to reinstate your license. trust me, they would rather see you pay off whatever you owe and reinstate your license and just charge you a few bucks in court costs as opposed to clog things up with a slow/nonpaying person.
obviously