More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

TooManyHumyns

Food Not Bombs 2008!

Post by TooManyHumyns » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:25 pm

I was just informing everyone that Food Not Bombs has started up for the year. Every Saturday/Sunday from noonish -(around)1:30pm. The Saturday Food Not Bombs will be serving at Gateway Park (between Grand and Locust off of 15th street on the outskirts of downtown Des Moines...a few blocks north of churches united shelter). We have picked this new location due to the fact that Nollan(sp) Plaza will be torn up over the summer for reconstruction. Please feel free to come down and visit with us, play music and enjoy free veggie and vegan food. We will also be bringing down a free box with us at various times. I'm pretty sure the Sunday FNB will be staying at Nollan Plaza for the time being but will most likely relocate as well...I'm also excited to say that Campbell's Nutrition has decided to donate food to us this year. FNB has been trying for years to gain their support and this year they finally committed...though they still worry and don't want 'people with metal in their hair or face to be seen at the counter picking up donations'....fucking dumb, but whatever.

(ps)I do not intend for this thread to turn into a debate, I am just letting people who may be interested know that were startin' up for the year........I will have a flier up for distribution early this week!!!

For more info about FNB! please visit: http://www.foodnotbombs.net/
If you are interested in helping with Food Not Bombs in anyway, feel free to contact me.

Thanks!
Last edited by TooManyHumyns on Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Re: Food Not Bombs 2008!

Post by Joe » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:01 pm

TooManyHumyns wrote:though they still worry and don't want 'people with metal in their hair or face to be seen at the counter picking up donations'
So like 4/5ths of the people that run Food Not Bombs in this city.

-Joe.

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:06 pm

I suppose so. The owners there are kinda dicks...from my experience and stories I've heard anyways. I get their reasoning i guess...but its kinda ridiculous that they said that. Truth be told, many of those type of people described shop their, though I personally will not be anymore, that statement just kinda sealed the deal for me...NEW CITY MARKET ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!those people are solid, I've not had one bad experience there. I swear that every time I walk into Cambells they follow me around and suspect me of stealing. I think I can honestly say I have never stolen from there, aside from taking a few cashews and candy bullshit out of the bulk bins, but who doesn't do that from time to time?!?!?

ilikehorses
Fun\Death Dealer

Post by ilikehorses » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:52 pm

i don't have any metal in my hair or face and campbells at least kinda likes me. if you need me to pick up donations, let me know.
Even today, I can't see a car run a red light without instantly having an image flash into my head of a man's erect penis, penetrating a watermelon.

UGH I SUCK

robdigi

Post by robdigi » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:23 am

TooManyHumyns wrote: I think I can honestly say I have never stolen from there, aside from taking a few cashews and candy bullshit out of the bulk bins, but who doesn't do that from time to time?!?!?

wow. "I think... honestly"? You are a real stand-up kinda dude.

Anyway, as you were. Good luck in yr endeavors.
All that's missin' is the retired band teacher with the self-inflicted gunshot wound!

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:11 am

Should take Ed and @ down to the axiom and get some metal shit sticking out of their heads.

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:34 pm

robdigi wrote:
TooManyHumyns wrote: I think I can honestly say I have never stolen from there, aside from taking a few cashews and candy bullshit out of the bulk bins, but who doesn't do that from time to time?!?!?

wow. "I think... honestly"? You are a real stand-up kinda dude.

Anyway, as you were. Good luck in yr endeavors.
i think your picking apart my statement more than what is necessary. They follow me around in there like I'm going to steal, I never have stolen, and I have always made a point in trying to act friendly to the employees working their........

ED
I think we have somebody who will be picking em' up....her name is Andrea, she just got hired there...She helped with FNB towards the end of last season...good people she is

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:49 am

TooManyHumyns wrote:, play music and enjoy free veggie and vegan food. !

I was under the impression that FNB was exclusively vegan. Am I reading this the wrong way or does FNB serve non-vegan vegetarian food?

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:19 am

El Rhino wrote:I was under the impression that FNB was exclusively vegan. Am I reading this the wrong way or does FNB serve non-vegan vegetarian food?
it depends on the people running it. alot of fnbs are and alot make/give anything they can get. its not exclusively vegan, ive been to many different fnbs in different towns. if i remember right atlanta has 3 or 4 different ones and they dont play nice together. the one that used to be in south dakota was turned into a drug center for awhile... until the O.D.

but food not bombs (most times) have a strong effort trying to help.

aeon grey

Post by aeon grey » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:43 am

joseph wrote:
El Rhino wrote:I was under the impression that FNB was exclusively vegan. Am I reading this the wrong way or does FNB serve non-vegan vegetarian food?
it depends on the people running it. alot of fnbs are and alot make/give anything they can get. its not exclusively vegan, ive been to many different fnbs in different towns. if i remember right atlanta has 3 or 4 different ones and they dont play nice together. the one that used to be in south dakota was turned into a drug center for awhile... until the O.D.

What does any of this have to do with the food being vegan, or vegetarian?

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:49 am

aeon grey wrote:
joseph wrote:

What does any of this have to do with the food being vegan, or vegetarian?
TooManyHumyns wrote:, play music and enjoy free veggie and vegan food. !
rhino asked .

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:21 pm

sunday Food Not Bombs will now be serving at Drake Park at noon each week.
el rhino wrote:I was under the impression that FNB was exclusively vegan. Am I reading this the wrong way or does FNB serve non-vegan vegetarian food?
it's not exclusively vegan, normally, but definitely vegetarian. considering that the food comes from sources that otherwise would have thrown it away(dumpsters, donations, etc) it's difficult to be picky.

as far as the campbell's donations, that's good to hear. they have had a history of being assholes about this(stemming back to 2002 when someone got into an altercation with the owner).

new city market is still the best source of our donations, and will continue to be i imagine.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats" - H. L. Mencken

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:32 pm

storkus wrote:Hey humyns:

They're going out of their way to give you free shit, and you're going to fuck it up if you keep talking shit about them and they catch wind of it.

Learn when to shut up and you might not appear so untrustworthy.
lol

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:34 pm

They're going out of their way to give you free shit, and you're going to fuck it up if you keep talking shit about them and they catch wind of it.

to be fair, this has little to do with trust and more to do with the fact that the person in charge is difficult to work with and overall unpleasant towards our group, seemingly unprovoked. and they aren't going out of their way for anything. they're letting us have food that would otherwise be thrown away.

this town really needs a co-op.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats" - H. L. Mencken

aeon grey

Post by aeon grey » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:12 pm

When I used to spend summers in Iowa City, the co-op there was great. I would definitely support something like that here.

And really.. downtown needs some sort of fruit stand.. so much shitty food to eat down here, and only got worse now that beggars is gone. It would be nice to be able to get some good quality fruit or something.

Beaver

Post by Beaver » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:22 pm

captialism > communism

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:56 pm

Beaver wrote:captialism > communism
eh, they all lead to the same place.

i hope to make it to a few of these, kids have lots of fun.

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:01 pm

Hank Fist wrote: i hope to make it to a few of these, kids have lots of fun.
you definitely should!!!

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:21 am

storkus wrote:
TooManyHumyns wrote:

lol
What? You have an agreement with someone, in which you rely on them to accomplish your goals, and you're publicly smearing them despite that fact. The context, and whether or not they're assholes, is irrelevant. You're just not being very smart here.
ok, i understand your point and what your saying.
A) FNB's doesn't and never have 'RELIED' on their donations. FNB's has yet to pick anything up from them for the year, and never has in the past, this is a first time thing. I'm personally glad they are donating, but FNB's is in no way dependent on them to function.
B) I stated what they stated, then said it was fucking stupid and that the statement is filled with shitty generalizations of people they don't know...I don't really think its smearing them at all, they said it, i just reported it...and then drew my own conclusions from it, if they don't want people with dreads and/or piercings in their store, then I won't go in their. FNB's will be glad to take their trash though!

joseph

Post by joseph » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:30 am

storkus wrote:The context, and whether or not they're assholes, is irrelevant. You're just not being very smart here.