More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Re: Speak English or go hungry.

Post by El Rhino » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:30 am

A couple more things:

@nonymous suggests throwing a pie at this gentleman. How about suggesting that someone as caring as full of empathy for the foreigners as yourself takes the time to teach them a bit of English? Sounds like a more practical plan than chucking a pie at this fellow.

Some people I work with can't speak English all that well (Southeast Asian). I don't mind trying to speak a little more plain and clear when talking with them, but there's a couple of them who really piss me off when I say something to them and they say "Huh???" with a look on their face like I have a dick on my forehead and I'm the one who's fucked up. I don't mind repeating myself if they can't understand me, I just don't like that look. They are the ones who can't speak the native langauge.

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:48 am

@nonymous wrote:freedom doesn't mean doing anything you want regardless of the effect it has on others.
i think it does. i think freedom has a very personal definition. does this make me an american american?

O- is your slapstick pie vegan? and should i throw one at you in your business if you dont have a movie that im looking for? since youre not catering to my needs?(yes im kidding as i took your pie as a joke as well)

yuppy

Post by yuppy » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:48 am

lol speak english or eat somewhere else.

i dont see the problem here.

its a private business choosing to limit its customer base.... they have the right to refuse service, even if it makes them look like fools.

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Post by Big Fat Retard » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:47 pm

Joey Vento explains himself http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeNHJCQD ... re=related

It's hard to believe taxpayer money was wasted to harass a private business owner like this.
I poop on Petland!

Thom

Post by Thom » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:20 am

This is really really stupid.

I can't believe that this is really that big of a deal. I feel there are far more important issues at hand, rather than some sign in some dumb-fuck's sandwich shop. I'm not saying I agree with "speak English or get out"...but I've also been to other countries, and have tried my best to speak the language.

I understand @'s point, even though I think it is a little extreme, and I understand Rhino's point. There is a pretty happy medium that should be reached here. I mean, the guy has the right to be an asshole, but he shouldn't be...right?

I'm just slightly appalled that people are calling to limit the freedom this man has to hang a sign in his shop.

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:13 pm

PUSSY WHIPPED
PUSSY WHIPPED
DON'T YOU KNOW YOU'RE PUSSYWHIPPED?

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:34 pm

el rhino wrote:Funny you mention not caring to understand culture. How would you feel about an American going to say, Portugal and trying to order breakfast in English and expecting to be understood? I'm sure in your head you would think about dumb, arrogant American stereotypes. What's the difference?

I suppose before we go any further we should mention a few things. The sign is probably meant more to be tongue in cheek than anything and like myself and others have said, if they can't parle l'anglais the sign is meaningless. From a business standpoint, I imagine this place does a high volume of fast-paced business. The last thing they need is some four foot tall asshole straight off the farm from Mexico holding up the line trying to fumble-fuck through a simple process of ordering a sandwich. It's not that hard. I'm certain that a substancial portion of the non-English speaking world knows how to say "One please, thank you". But yeah, the sign is kind of pointless if they can't read English.
they sign wasn't tongue and cheek. to have any legal ground at a business you have to have something posted; it's formality. second, he stated that it was due to his "concerns about immigration reform"(e.g. "mexicans want to come into ma country, they ain't gettin no sandwiches from ME").

all of this is silly, of course. as thom said, there are bigger issues worth discussing. it's just funny to me that as americans, or anyone part of western civilization, we're in the business of giving up our rights on a regular basis, which causes us to clench tightly to the most banal and ridiculous "freedoms" we are given(given being the operative word there).

we treat people that are different to us as "aliens" and wonder why we have enemies that want to hurt us? if you can't learn to co-exist with someone who may or may not speak the same language as you, or is different in another way, you're making this world harder for everyone to live in.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats" - H. L. Mencken

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:52 pm

@nonymous wrote: if you can't learn to co-exist with someone who may or may not speak the same language as you, or is different in another way, you're making this world harder for everyone to live in.

I agree. If only these foreigners would be willing to co-exist with us instead of bringing the rest of us down with their third world ways and only coming here for a paycheck, it would be easier on the rest of us.

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:03 pm

coexisting means understanding and respecting another's social and economic situation, especially when you live in a country that routinely influences/exploits others' social and economic situations. . . .(if we're speaking Mexico, NAFTA isn't a bad example).
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats" - H. L. Mencken

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:04 pm

El Rhino wrote:I agree. If only these foreigners would be willing to co-exist with us instead of bringing the rest of us down with their third world ways and only coming here for a paycheck, it would be easier on the rest of us.
Yeah, because we have absolutely nothing to do with "them" wanting to come over to our country to get paid more.

Nothing at all.

-Joe.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:19 pm

Joe wrote: Yeah, because we have absolutely nothing to do with "them" wanting to come over to our country to get paid more.

Nothing at all.

-Joe.

No shit, Joe. Should we say "Hmmm.. I really don't like all of these people in my country but there are some wealthy people in this country who provide them with jobs. Hmmm. Well, fuck. I guess it's cool that they're here then. Those wealthy people know what's best for us!"

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:24 pm

@nonymous wrote:coexisting means understanding and respecting another's social and economic situation, especially when you live in a country that routinely influences/exploits others' social and economic situations. . . .(if we're speaking Mexico, NAFTA isn't a bad example).

"Our wealthy and powerful people have made policies that I do not agree with that may exploit the Mexican people, in addition to hurting our economic situation. I guess I'd better just grin and bear it and suffer the consequences quietly."

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:32 pm

i sense sarcasm in that comment, but im not sure where it's directed.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:38 pm

To me it sounds like you're saying that since there are Americans making policy that hurts Mexico and encourages them to come here that common folks like myself should just put up with it.... Since I'm an American, it's my/our fault that Mexico is fucked up so just grin and bear the consequences.

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:53 pm

no, but you have the responsibility to make sure your country isn't doing fucked up things in your name.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:26 pm

I do what I can.

Bullet Tooth
One Man Wall of Death

Post by Bullet Tooth » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:54 pm

i used to love the deli sandwiches you could get made at wawa.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:05 am

Just to fan the flames a little, I guess Geno's has this hanging up:

joseph

Post by joseph » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:30 am

El Rhino wrote:Just to fan the flames a little, I guess Geno's has this hanging up:

the first time i moved to mpls(94) there were free mumia people getting petitions signed and they got really mad at me when i said i wouldnt sign because they couldnt explain to me what my signature was for. they had clipboards with stacks of signatures on them but no cover sheet, no story and none of them had any idea how to explain anything.

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:31 pm

i hope danny glover teaches this guy at geno's a lesson.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:54 pm

...and what lesson might that be?

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:59 pm

el rhino wrote:..and what lesson might that be?
that he's too old for this shit.

noel_nothing

Post by noel_nothing » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:49 pm

i never get tired of that lethal weapon quote. i use it a lot too.