More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

joseph

Re: Kurt Cobain Back From The Dead

Post by joseph » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:10 am

DARKBASS wrote:Alice Cooper and Kiss are entirely different animals than Nirvana...
yes, but not in the context he was asking. who opened your eyes?

DARKBASS

Post by DARKBASS » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:28 am

I am not saying this to brag, I just felt the need to vent, and maybe some of you on here with more years to ya, and who are wiser then I, will understand.....

Um my eyes were opened when I was in 5th or 6th grade......

my parents are older and my mom used to belong to some vinyl club or something, 12 records for a penny, or some rip off bull.....

but anyway....

i was thumbing through......

godfather soundtrack, neil diamond, saturday night fever sound track, and then , hold the phone, what the hey is this!?!?!?! Still in shrink wrap, KISS ROCK AND ROLL OVER! I opened it and some brand new looking stickers fell out of it, I put it on and I was like, what the fuck is this? Music does not sound like this? Music does not look like this? SENSORY OVERLOAD!

My mom said they accidentally sent her that record........and she just did not want the hastle of returning it.......

(keep in mind I was in 5th or 6th grade)
the only cds I owned were Green Day Nimrod(which had just come out), Green Day (um the big one) which is still good shit to me, Nirvana Nevermind, the men in black soundtrack, various weird al cds, and I had just been given chumbawumba tubthumpin for christmas for god knows why, as well as the wallflowers first cd(which is still amazing to me)

so in my little developing brain, I was like......

WAIT, HOLD THE PHONE!

music sounds like Korn, Green Day, Blink 182, The Spice Girls, The smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, Tool, Will Smith, and Weird Al........
(I enjoy some of those bands still, but if you are going on terms of variety and what a little kid had a chance to hear, DAMN THE NINETIES POP MUSIC SUCKED)

I do enjoy weird al though......

WHAT IS THIS SOUND COMING IN MY EARS......
WHAT KINDA INSTRUMENTS ARE THESE GUYS PLAYING?
ARE THESE HUMAN BEINGS!?

and I found out all those answers, and I love kiss,

shortly after I found that record, I stole the alice cooper cd, School's Out from my uncle John! (He doesnt mind anymore, I think he is actually happy, plus I will give it back to him next time I see him)

they are not my favorite band, but they are one of them, but I own everything they ever put out, and I either asked for it as gifts from parents as a child(i was in 5th or 6th grade mind you and I never got an allowance) otherwise I baught it all with my own hard earned money........

I could care less about all the other kiss bullshit, gene simmons is a smart man and a fucking asshole.....

I love it

the only things kiss related I have spent my money on, THEIR MUSIC, DUH why I like them, a few shirts, and concert tickets......

I have seen Kiss (with Aerosmith), AMAZING, and I have seen Ace Frehley(recently)

(all I could find in a legit way, I purchased with my own hard earned dough, or asked for as a xmas or birthday gift......) (I also tried hard to buy them from real music stores, not like best buy or sam goody if I could help it)

Stores like that one that was in the basement of merle hay mall, I baught the first cds I ever baught with my own money ever there!

Ac/Dc- Live
Ac/Dc- High Voltage
Guns N Roses- Live
Metallica- Master of Puppets
BoB Seger- Greatest Hits
Billy Joel- Glass Houses
Primus- Fizzle Fry
and Eminems first cd (the day it came out)
The Blood Hound Gang (hooray for boobies)- (the day it came out) this was a great day, somewhere near the time I got my first BLOW JOB! FROM A CHEERLEADER!

to name a few bands that I have their whole catalogue.....

I have every Warren Zevon release(My favorite song writer of all time)

I also have every WASP release

every Grim Reaper release

every Tom Waits release-

every thin lizzy release

every oingo boingo release-

Every Dio Release

every black sabbath, ozzy, black label society release.......

every billy joel release

every zeppelin release

every tom petty release...

um every metallica release

every megadeth release

every Savatage release

every priest release

every primus release

every ac/dc release

every manowar release

every pantera release

every king diamond release I could find

every Tesla cd.......

every run dmc cd

every danzig cd

every johnny cash cd I could find......

every bob dylan cd I could find

um.....and 100s to 1000s of other cds from all genres...........

I have spent a lot of cash on cds, needless to say, but I love music, it is my passion, I learned a lot from music.......

if it was not for me the record industry and both cd wherehouses in Des Moines would proboblly be even in worse shape then it is.......

Maiden is an interesting story too........

I was in middle school and this kid I was on a little league team comes up to me and says my mom works for Sony records, I know you like heavy metal, have you ever heard of the band Iron Maiden???

I say, YEAH THEIR BAD ASS! ( I had maybe a handful of maiden cds)

well he says then you can have this, I dont!

HE GAVE ME THE WHOLE MAIDEN ARCHIVE.......

it was a box set, where if you put all the maiden cd's together, they made up eddies face!

I AM THANKFUL TO THIS DAY......NICK YOUNG THANK YOU WHEREVER YOU ARE, YOU FUCKING MADE ME INTO A METAL MONSTER!

MAIDEN IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE BANDS

STEVE HARRIS IS THE REASON I PLAY BASS, along with cliff burton and geezer butler.......
------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by DARKBASS on Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
MARK'O'WAR

DARKBASS

Post by DARKBASS » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:54 am

and that is not all.....

really....

I just love a good live show and a band who delivers the same honesty on a record! no matter what the style.......

if anyone ever wants to chat music, or trade, or have me burn you something you have been looking for......

just ask

I have been very busy lately but

I will do my best.....
MARK'O'WAR

DARKBASS

Post by DARKBASS » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:03 am

also I have to say one of my favorite bands currently is HEART....

I say DAMNNNNNNNNN 8) :oops: :P :shock: :mrgreen:

I watched one of their old concerts!

A sexy redhead and a sexy raven hair.....

who are intelligent, beautiful, and talented.....

and damn that voice, sexy as hell, and ALL POWERFUL!

-----------

HUBBA HUBBA
HELLO NURSE!

MARK'O'WAR

DARKBASS

Post by DARKBASS » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:12 am

I used to have a lot of friends who lived around the "bad part" of MLK, fuck it never scared me, I hate people who think their is a "bad part" of Des Moines.........

try going to Chicago, or New York, or even Minneapolis......

you should still be careful in Des Moines, but you almost never have nothing to worry about if you are not being a fucker yourself......

anyway

my car got broken into and I had a lot of my favorite cds in their cases in my back seat....

someone looked at all of them and only took

snoop dogg- doggy style
and public enemy- fear of a black planet

Needless to say, I was so happy they did not take any of my other records, I rebaught thought those, and I hope that those two cds changed someones life for the better......

either that or........

I hope they still get listened to somewhere......

or some white kids buys them at cd wherehouse and learns something from them besides to shag their pants and treat women with disrespect........

they really have a lot more to say then that....
MARK'O'WAR

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:16 am

DARKBASS wrote:...
so... mt dew, red bull or crank?

DARKBASS

Post by DARKBASS » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:17 pm

I am not a preachy person, and I do not think I have the answers to lifes great mysteries........I am only 22.....

I mainly made my first posts back in a long time for myself.....

To tell you the truth.....

I know I am lucky for my health, my family, and for my experiences, but SO IS EVERYBODY ELSE....some people just have a different outlook on life, and that is just fine.....

I hate energy drinks, always have.......I am just a wired mutherfucker, I might have a.d.d., but my doctor told me most people with ADD have very low GPA's......and that I do not have......I thought I might be crazy, but if that's true I have been crazy since birth.......(also I talked to many a college professor, and two counselors when I felt I was going to let rage take over my life)

It could be any one of a combination of:

recent sobriety (or atleast not binge drinking)
eating healthy
sleeping 8 hours a night for a few weeks for the first time since a can remember
A woman who I loved with my whole heart leaving after living together for years(right before I was about to propose to her)...and then getting engaged a month later to some hippy looking guy who likes social distortion( I hope he's a nice guy)....
um

I choose not to drink alcohol during my suffering, a depressant,because I was much more depressed than ever in my life.....

I have never chased ass, ass has always came to me, and I was always a geek.....so I knew I would only find temporary relief in the loose bar women of Cedar Falls.

So I guess I have been fairly sober for a month or so, aside from a drink here or there......and I have a lot of pothead friends, who I am not going to indulge with any longer......(only when I really want to, and I have got nothing better to do. when people really beg me to get high and tell stories or put on puppet shows)

I know I will drink again, but I will drink the way I want to drink,......

I have no problem with anyone smoking(weed or cigs) around me, or getting wasted around me, to each his own.......

everyone has to walk their own path......

weed has hurt less people than alcohol.....
aside from the government keeping it ILLEGAL, and making it dangerous just for kids to learn if they like smoking pot or not.....
and overcrowding already overcrowded courthouses with minor paraphernalia charges....

No one who has troubles with drink or drug is a bad person.......they just have a lot on their plate and they really got their mind screwed over royally by something or someone.....

However I have friends and family with drug issues.....

I would say to anyone

Please don't every try meth or crack.....

Cocaine I tried before, all times where I did not think very highly of myself mind you, and it is not for me....

I am always so amped up, no one would like me on cocaine......

I got my outlook on talking from John Wayne, "Talk low, talk slow, and don't talk too much"

and that is always me, but the way I see it, I am not talking...

I am typing on a keyboard, and no one has to read the bullshit I have to say.....

I guess, I am getting tired of not standing up for myself in life, even though I have always tried my best to be a nice person.......

I am trying to graduate college, manage a radio station(in which 40 college students had my cell phone number), work three jobs, have a band that I love, and

also either I, or she was a nympho, or some weird combination of both of us....

soneedless to say I have a lot more free time lately......

I actually have frequented the message boards related to Des Moines for a long time......
Markowar
Manowarkills
ozzykills
um.....hulkisgod
pudtgalvin

were some of my past names on the lazer boards, the past 515 shit, the des moines boards in all their incarnations......

but I never really had time to sit down and actually tell much about myself......

now I have a lot of free time

it is spring break

I think people on here my finally understand that I have been fighting for this scene and for music(all over the world) since I was in middle school.

I am working at a radio station where I have access to a computer

and the person who took up most of my free time for the last 3 years is gone.....

a young foxy 20 year old redhead, that taught me a lot about life

oh yeah........

also my cell phone got smashed at the M.O.D. concert because I was thrashing like a maniac.......it may have happened during black market fetus's set, or possibly the Mutts..........( MATT MUTT IS AWESOME BTW, I MISS THAT MUTHAFUCKA)

and I did have one GIN AND TONIC there (people may have seen it)

so I guess I can not say I have been completely sober.......
Last edited by DARKBASS on Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MARK'O'WAR

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:25 pm

geez..when are you finally going to loosen up and tell us more about yourself?

DARKBASS

Post by DARKBASS » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:34 pm

You can ignore me or ban me if you want.....

I guess I just needed to vent.....

also I have a distaste for facebook and myspace......

also I do not really care if they read this, but I dont think people that distribute and buy my bands cds in Europe and Japan, care about my personal philosophizing...

and this stupid little box with wires in it happens to be staring at me.......

and I just want you all to know I will keep fighting for the Des Moines scene, and for Iowa.....

and for local music

and for live music

and for music fans

and for heavy metal

and for rock n roll

but most importantly for music
MARK'O'WAR

DARKBASS

Post by DARKBASS » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:41 pm

I should have made my own thread.....

I also am not up on, how message boards are supposed to work, the whole protocol shit.....but I will learn in time.....

but uh.....

if someone has that power, you could but all my little bullshit into a thread called.....

Darkbass's Bullshit

if you so choose......

or just delete it
MARK'O'WAR

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:46 pm

um, i was just kidding around.

moltar

Post by moltar » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:51 pm

DARKBASS

Post by DARKBASS » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:59 pm

PLEASE KNOW THIS IS NOT DIRECTED AT ANYONE PERSON:

I AM TELLING MYSELF THIS, and IN TURN ALL PEOPLE WHO LOVE DES MOINES, and it will not stop at THIS MESSAGE BOARD!

I guess one of the most important parts of all that crap is:

if anyone ever wants to chat music, or trade, or have me burn you something you have been looking for......

just ask

I have been very busy lately but

I will do my best.....

Even if it is is not something I personally listen to myself, let me know

I manage one radio station 94.5 KULT, the UNI Student Radio station, and work at KUNI Iowa Public Radio.....

as well as have my own collection......

and I do download stuff I can not figure out a way to buy, so

either way

if there is something your ears desire let me know and I will let you know if I have it.....

I also think everyone has a lot to say about themselves
so go ahead and say it if you want to
that's how I am livin'

right now anyway.....

just be accountable if you piss people off with what you have to say, be a real man or a real woman and talk about it the hard way, the old fashioned way.......real communication baby......you gotta love it.......

I mean I a problem with this scene, with any scene, is that people only go out with people they know, and only talk to people they know, it is bullshit, people never debate anymore aside from the safety of a little box.....

Let's do it.......

at Homer's Music, at the Hessen House, at The Vaudeville Mews, at Java Joes, at my place in Cedar Falls(I will be back in Des Moines for my next concert and for more practical purposes back home for good in a few months), um at House of Bricks, at Shooter's Hideaway, at People's, at the liar's club, at the Hull Ave Tap, at Mickey's, at Flannagans(where I wish I was at today celebrating the holiday EVEN THOUGH IM ITALIAN)....., at either cd wherehouse location, at Half Price Books, at ZZZ's RECORDS, AT YE OLD GUITAR SHOPPE, AT PROFESSIONAL MUSIC!....

I KNOW THERE IS MORE BUT I AM TIRED OF RANTING!!!

um......where else........ANYWHERE ELSE!

Des Moines kicks ass you all know it or you would get the fuck up and leave!

or you should because you might be happier somewhere else, but I highly doubt it!

also, I used to be friends with Varg, before everyone hated him and he seemed to post blatantly racist messages, I do not know what is up with that......

I wish him well though....

it is hearsay that he told someone that "Mark is dead to me", or something a long those lines.....

As long as I am not dead to myself I guess I can live with that......

though you guys should be thankful for someone with a different set of opinions posting on this board......

otherwise it would be awfully boring.......

btw

long time reader

recent time poster

(atleast with anything legit to say)

maybe I should have spoke up sooner

and not

all at once
Last edited by DARKBASS on Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MARK'O'WAR

DARKBASS

Post by DARKBASS » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:03 pm

maybe I am schizophrenic

only

all my different personality's agree with each other!

Or maybe I listened to too much George Carlin, Eddie Murphy and Henry Rollins at a young age.....OR NOT ENOUGH!

Or too much Dave Chappelle, ( I HAVE EVERYTHING HE HAS EVER DONE ON DVD AND I SUGGEST YOU SHOULD TOO)

I think he was one of the best professors I could have asked for my freshmen year of college........

I think people thought Dave went crazy, well he was probably thinking too much and trying to decide what to do about it!

Maybe they had a negative or positive effect on my ability to not RANT......

but what better, safer, more welcome place to rant then online!

In high school I wrote a letter to henry rollins telling him he was my hero (it was for a class project).......

He wrote me a postcard back saying, "thanks kid, I appreciate it"

it was from Japan Airlines......

or maybe I found the answer....

I was just literally one of the first of a new batch of kids growing up that had internet and cell phones in their life......

my home computer recently died, and my cell phone got obliterated, also I am nearly done with school, and my g/f dropped me like a bad habit......

so maybe I am an experiment in this GO GO GO, you always gotta be doing something world......

SHIT I BETTER GO START MY THESIS!

SHIT MAYBE I ALREADY DID!
Last edited by DARKBASS on Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MARK'O'WAR

DARKBASS

Post by DARKBASS » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:07 pm

I know

and if you ever want to say hi to me out and about or chat about ANYTHING, just say hi.....

I am nice

I am only half Italian, I might look hairy, or greasy sometimes or sweat alot , but I didnt get the machismo half if that's what you might think,

I promise
:lol:

lol
stereotypes
if you can not laugh at them or yourself
you are part of the reason racism still exists

OH YEAH

I am politically moderate

I VOLUNTERED FOR THE OBAMA CAMPAIGN!

I met the man, I shook his hand and told him to keep on fighting the good fight......

I have read his books.....(along with many other political books from all different viewpoints)

atleast give yourself a chance to hear this man talk......

I love Ron Paul, and I have no problem with a woman president(JUST NOT THAT WOMAN) but Obama is the person that America needs right now!

Ive seen him speak multiple times, I was at his party downtown Des Moines with the actor that played KUMAR! in that HEFUCKINLARIOUS MOVIE!
Last edited by DARKBASS on Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MARK'O'WAR

jjjsXe

Post by jjjsXe » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:29 pm

shut up
abortions for some, miniature american flags for others

DARKBASS

Post by DARKBASS » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:46 pm

:P

I will because now I am off of work! HAPPY ST. PATTY'S DAY YO!

hey jjjsXe
thanks for the advice too btw

best Ive gotten all day!

8)

In parting I also remembered that:

when I saw him I told Kal Penn that this movie looked Hilarious!

Just the plot itself makes a very good point!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqvPDRuIlDw
MARK'O'WAR

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:29 pm

Blink182 rules.

-Joe.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:13 pm

LOL WUT?????

Dude, relax a little on the posting.

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:34 pm

jjjsXe wrote:shut up
x100000000000000000000000000

moltar

Post by moltar » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:19 am

Smashing Pumpkins > KISS

joseph

Post by joseph » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:39 am

moltar wrote:Smashing Pumpkins > KISS
Me > You

moltar

Post by moltar » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:11 am

I rule you.

DARKBASS

Post by DARKBASS » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:58 am

Again, excuse all those posts if you can, I was simply zoned out at work.

Hope everyone enjoyed St. Pattys day.......

I could see why anyone would think or like the smashing pumpkins better then kiss......

There are a good number of Pumpkins song I like....

however........

Kiss has a lot of well written/constructed/performed songs........

they just are hard to see through all the other bullshit(make up/egos/fire/naked chicks/flaming guitars/merchandising)

I think there is something to what people say about hearing songs stripped down and on acoustics to really be able to tell if the songs have a lot to them......

I would say the five best unplugged shows I have seen on video or heard......

1)Warren Zevon- Learning to Flinch
2)Tesla- their own taped performance/cd, the band that started this whole unplugged business, at least in the mainstream.
3)Kiss - mtv unplugged
4)Alice In Chains -mtv unplugged
5)Nirvana - mtv unplugged
6)Judas Priest- unplugged on vh1
MARK'O'WAR

DARKBASS

Post by DARKBASS » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:05 pm

I bet not too many people have heard this kiss song.....

It are two of my fave's....

KISS- I still love you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAPA3myxjgM

Kiss- Goin Blind
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfSMIpxE ... re=related

You may have heard a great melvin's cover of this song, they play it at bars all the time, they used to always crank it at Hairy Marys.
Last edited by DARKBASS on Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MARK'O'WAR

joseph

Post by joseph » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:09 pm

DARKBASS wrote:I would say the five best unplugged shows I have seen on video or heard......

1)Warren Zevon- Learning to Flinch
2)Tesla- their own taped performance/cd, the band that started this whole unplugged business, at least in the mainstream.
3)Kiss - mtv unplugged
4)Alice In Chains -mtv unplugged
5)Nirvana - mtv unplugged
6)Judas Priest- unplugged on vh1

DARKBASS

Post by DARKBASS » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:12 pm

yeah, I added one after the fact, sue me.

I will also throw up this video......

it is a goodin'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MiJfZcQCTY

I can't not love this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfagvcwjLyE
MARK'O'WAR

moltar

Post by moltar » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:45 pm

Goin Blind is a good song.

DARKBASS

Post by DARKBASS » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:04 pm

Yo inx515xhell?

is that tag line referring to that video of a leprechaun being spotted in a neighborhood......

that shit was hilarious.....

in the spirit of yesterdays holiday someone should put up a link to that if you still have it......

I remember cracking up at the "witness depiction"

If not, I will try to find it.
MARK'O'WAR