More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Java Joe's, boycott that shit.

Post by Joe » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:43 pm

Got this from Nate:

"BOYCOTT JAVA JOES!!
Hello there all you brutal Des Moiniacs!
I just wanted to let you know that I "Nate Fetus" am boycotting Java Joes, some new owners have recently purchased this fine coffee establishment and managed to both fuck u, the food and, more importantly, ban my flyers from being on their bulletin board!

I recently entered the Coffee house (A place I have frequented since the age of 15 maybe even younger!) So for over 10 yeas I have been posting flyers for the 100's of shows I have brought to the Des Moines area in my attempt at bringing live entertainment and something to do other than waste away to the community of metalheads and punk rockers alike.

On my last visit I was told that I was no longer able to post my flyers inside their coffee shop because they looked (Dark) I explained how long I had been bringing flyers into there and that I worked next door at the Vaudeville Mews...also meaning I still was going in there 4-5 times a week purchasing coffee, food, cookies etc (Which is how I know their food sucks now)

I love all of the employee's that work in this place so it is sad to think I wont be able to enter to talk to them anymore!

I just wanted everyone to know what happened and to say that these rich suburban Ankeny prudes have no right taking any of my money to support their false sense of humanity inside their pretty little perfect shit hole that they will no doubt ram into the ground or in the words of the great Judas Priest: "Ram it down, Ram it down, straight to the heart of this town"

SUPPORT REAL LOCAL BUISNESS, DEATH TO FALSE COFFEE!"

---

Don't let some suburban dorks ruin your downtown culture. Java Joe's owes a lot of its business to the punk and metal kids that come downtown for punk and metal shows that Nate and people who are like-minded book.

Don't buy shit from Java Joe's.

-Joe.

xkristyx
I <3 Pizza

Re: Java Joe's, boycott that shit.

Post by xkristyx » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:37 pm

I like imagining that all being said in Nate's scary voice.

His Manjesty

Post by His Manjesty » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:09 am

sounds shitty but I will actually continue going in protest of the term "Des Moiniacs"

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:10 am

I read something similar from Jessica who worked there. Although I didn't go there often in the first place, fuck it, consider it boycotted as well.

Like others have said, I have to hand it off to Java Joe's as being somewhat of a staple on the counter-culture scene in this city as long as it's been open. When I was younger, I remember my friend's older "weird" sister going there with her friends every night after school and then when I got older, we would hang out there and Nollen Plaza during the summer.

Even if you didn't buy anything (which I rarely did), it was a good place to hang outside and schmooze. Now that the area gets a little more foot traffic and kids have a few more options, it doesn't seem like that cool of a place for underaged kids (and those who prey on them) to stand around and hang out anymore. They used to even get actual bands to play in there sometimes, instead of just the Java Jews and some lesbian with an accoustic guitar. It was kind of a cool place and really kind of a flagship for the whole Court Avenue area.

joseph

Post by joseph » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:28 am

it was weird to see nate mad. he was, for quite awhile. then he got angry again when he started talking about it. my suggestion would be somebody make a hidden image in a pink and white flyer and hang it up, daily.

-and nate reminded of a great concoction, wheat paste.

Wheatstache
Superhero

Post by Wheatstache » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:32 am

That place has fallen off sharply since they changed owners. They're always out of the most basic stuff, and the service is getting to be awful, even by the most forgiving standards.

I doubt I'll boycott, as it won't take that to get me to stop going. They're accomplishing that anyway. And boycotts are usually pretty dumb.
Seriously

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:55 am

I heard they were gonna rename it "Java Jesus's", and have contemporary christian rock sunday worship there.

Wheatstache
Superhero

Post by Wheatstache » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:08 am

Hank Fist wrote:I heard they were gonna rename it "Java Jesus's", and have contemporary christian rock sunday worship there.
Oh God, let's hope.
Seriously

Walking Thunder

Post by Walking Thunder » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:46 am

The only thing I really use there is the bathroom. I used to play House of the Dead and slay that game, but they got rid of it. I knew things were going downhill after that.
-John
Doomed to endure and prevail.

DARKBASS

Post by DARKBASS » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:16 pm

Aside from playing a few jazz shows there, I have virtually boycotted java joes since Middle School......

and I am now 22........

so way to fight the good fight Nate!

heh
MARK'O'WAR

Thom

Post by Thom » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:14 pm

I used to hang out there a lot, actually. I had a lot of fun there. I haven't actually been down to java joe's in a while, but I have been to the court avenue area. Its a bummer to hear about this...

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:31 pm

El Rhino wrote:some lesbian with an accoustic guitar.
audible chuckle
obviously

kurtis
Represent!

Post by kurtis » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:38 pm

I use to get water there when I skated downtown. Then they made you have to ask for a cup, so I rubbed my nuts all over a table.

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:49 pm

kurtis wrote:I use to get water there when I skated downtown. Then they made you have to ask for a cup, so I rubbed my nuts all over a table.
COLEMINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

His Manjesty

Post by His Manjesty » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:31 pm

i will be avoiding this place from here on out. although dj flash working there was probably enough of a reason to avoid it already. stopping people from putting up flyers for shows is a total crock. up until reading this, i had no idea they had even changed owners. i'm still not happy about knowing the term "Des Moiniac" exists.

moltar

Post by moltar » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:01 am

What's your beef with Flash? He was one of my better coworkers at Guitarmart.

rob

Post by rob » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:09 am

Damn. So where's a good place to get coffee and stuff downtown now? The Ritual Cafe?

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:20 am

if youre gonna do anything complain/you know. please dont mention Nate. i think hes getting some grief being an employee of the mews. not that it was his fault at all but im sure everybody would like for him not to have any employment repurcussions.

Wheatstache
Superhero

Post by Wheatstache » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:41 am

rob wrote:Damn. So where's a good place to get coffee and stuff downtown now? The Ritual Cafe?
Mars Cafe has the best coffee in town. Ritual is good too.

Please post pictures of dj flash.
Seriously

Beaver

Post by Beaver » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:03 am

joseph wrote:if youre gonna do anything complain/you know. please dont mention Nate. i think hes getting some grief being an employee of the mews. not that it was his fault at all but im sure everybody would like for him not to have any employment repurcussions.

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:55 am

moltar wrote:What's your beef with Flash? He was one of my better coworkers at Guitarmart.
raise yo kids, raise yo kids, raise yo goddamn kids.

crow

Post by crow » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:31 pm

moltar wrote:What's your beef with Flash? He was one of my better coworkers at Guitarmart.

i don't dislike him or anything but once i went in there to drop off flyers and he saw my stage name on the flyer and started telling me how i was a good dude and what not totally not realizing he was talking to me about me. he let me on both of the last 515alives last minute which is pretty cool of him.
"boobiez and buttz"
- u-god of the wu tang clan

moltar

Post by moltar » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:42 pm

inx515xhell wrote:
raise yo kids, raise yo kids, raise yo goddamn kids.
Ha, agreed.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:14 pm

rob wrote:Damn. So where's a good place to get coffee and stuff downtown now? The Ritual Cafe?

Yeah, I think when I'm downtown and wanting coffee I'll support the Trotskyite/homosexual agenda and hit up the Ritual Cafe. Good coffee, just wouldn't want to be seen drinking coffee in a place with rainbow flags all over by dudes I work with or something, you know?

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:17 pm

isnt there a fredericks in the skywalks?

Wheatstache
Superhero

Post by Wheatstache » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:29 pm

Friedrich'sx2, Timbuktu, Starbucks. Not a huge fan of most of these, but Starbucks is close and has decent Americanos.
Seriously

aeon grey

Post by aeon grey » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:44 pm

Ritual is a good spot. I walk past starbucks on my way their all the time.

I didn't even know java joes had new owners. I did notice the food starting to suck and them not having anything good though.

Wheatstache
Superhero

Post by Wheatstache » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:01 pm

It consistently takes them 20 minutes to toast a bagel.
Seriously

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:18 pm

ZANZIBARS!!!!!