More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

Hank Fist
Shaolin

snake eats family dog

Post by Hank Fist » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:41 am

Classic.
yeah, thats the dog sticking out.

BRISBANE, Australia (AP) -- A 16-foot python stalked a family dog for days before swallowing the pet whole in front of horrified children in the Australian tropics, animal experts said Wednesday.

The boy and girl, aged 5 and 7, watched as the scrub python devoured their silky terrier-Chihuahua crossbreed Monday at their home near Kuranda in Queensland state.

Stuart Douglas, owner of the Australian Venom Zoo in Kuranda, said scrub pythons typically eat wild animals such as wallabies, a smaller relative of the kangaroo, but sometimes turn to pets in urban areas.

"It actively stalked the dog for a number of days," Douglas said.

"The family that owned the dog had actually seen it in the dog's bed, which was a sign it was out to get it," he added.

"They should have called me then, but (the snake) got away and three or four days later, I was called and went around and removed it" after the dog had been killed, Douglas said.

By the time Douglas arrived, all that could be seen of the dog was its hind legs and tail.

The zoo manager, Todd Rose, said pythons squeeze their prey to death before swallowing it whole. The 5-year-old dog would have been suffocated within minutes.

"The lady who was there threw some plastic chairs at the snake, but you've got to remember that this is about 50 kilograms (110 pounds) of aggressive muscle," Rose said.

Removing the half-swallowed dog could have harmed or even killed the python, Rose said, because dogs have sharp teeth and claws that could do the snake internal damage if it were wrenched out.

The snake was still digesting the dog at the zoo Wednesday. It will soon be moved to the bush, Douglas said.

Wheatstache
Superhero

Re: snake eats family dog

Post by Wheatstache » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:57 am

This was the big headline on foxnews.com this morning. I'm really starting to hate that site.
Seriously

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:58 am

if a 110pound snake was anywhere near my "dog"(let alone "kids") i think id call somebody. and it wouldnt matter if i was in austrailia. or maybe buy a shotgun?

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:00 pm

joseph wrote:if a 110pound snake was anywhere near my "dog"(let alone "kids") i think id call somebody. and it wouldnt matter if i was in austrailia. or maybe buy a shotgun?
boomerang.
never been to foxnews, but i'm sorry to be relaying any of their main stories.

yuppy

Post by yuppy » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:09 pm

wow what an epic failure on the behalf of the dog owners.

Wheatstache
Superhero

Post by Wheatstache » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:27 pm

Hank Fist wrote:
joseph wrote:if a 110pound snake was anywhere near my "dog"(let alone "kids") i think id call somebody. and it wouldnt matter if i was in austrailia. or maybe buy a shotgun?
boomerang.
never been to foxnews, but i'm sorry to be relaying any of their main stories.
It's a tabloid anymore. Not that I'm all that disappointed. All my news comes from Worldnet Daily now! :oops:
Seriously

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:28 pm

yuppy wrote: epic
Walking Thunder

Post by Walking Thunder » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:38 am

I'm not a big fan of the little annoying dogs. Good job on the snake's part. There needs to be more stories like this so people will become deterred from buying purse dogs.
-John
Doomed to endure and prevail.

robdigi

Post by robdigi » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:16 am

Walking Thunder wrote:There needs to be more stories like this so people will become deterred from buying purse dogs.

This is off topic, but I saw the most disgusting perversion of that fad a few months ago.. a girl was carrying around a hamster in a tiny pink plastic cage while shopping with her boyfriend. The cage didn't have any bedding, and the hamster was soaking wet from sliding around in its own piss all day.
All that's missin' is the retired band teacher with the self-inflicted gunshot wound!

Thom

Post by Thom » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:09 am

robdigi wrote:This is off topic, but I saw the most disgusting perversion of that fad a few months ago.. a girl was carrying around a hamster in a tiny pink plastic cage while shopping with her boyfriend. The cage didn't have any bedding, and the hamster was soaking wet from sliding around in its own piss all day.
This is further off topic, but I hate people.

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:17 am

Thom wrote:
robdigi wrote:This is off topic, but I saw the most disgusting perversion of that fad a few months ago.. a girl was carrying around a hamster in a tiny pink plastic cage while shopping with her boyfriend. The cage didn't have any bedding, and the hamster was soaking wet from sliding around in its own piss all day.
This is further off topic, but I hate people.
i hate people with hamsters.