More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

xkristyx
I <3 Pizza

Mac help plz?

Post by xkristyx » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:10 pm

I think I broke my computer last night. Ummm something about file errors and I can't install the new operating system. Maybe the harddrive. I don't know what these words mean.

Problems:
My apple care ran out back in September
I can't afford to pay $1,500 in repairs
I can't afford to pay $1,500 for a new computer
I know nothing about computers

Help!!! I'm desperate.

robdigi

Re: Mac help plz?

Post by robdigi » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:31 pm

So... describe what the error is, when it happens, etc..

Does it boot? What does it say under "About this Mac" (processor speed, memory, OS version, etc...)

If it boots, you should take a screen shot of the error and upload it here.
All that's missin' is the retired band teacher with the self-inflicted gunshot wound!

robdigi

Post by robdigi » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:35 pm

Something else to consider: even if you don't have applecare you can get free support at the store. if it's a software issue, chances are they will fix it for free on the spot, or at worst they will check your machine in for a day or two and you will pay $75 for a software level 1 service. if you are super nice and don't freak out they will generally bend over backwards for you.

oh yeah- remove anything embarrassing from your iphoto library, if possible.
All that's missin' is the retired band teacher with the self-inflicted gunshot wound!

xkristyx
I <3 Pizza

Post by xkristyx » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:05 am

It won't boot, at least not anymore.
I think I can do the safe boot or whatever, but then when I follow my handy sheet I printed from Apple on how to do the disk utility thing it doesn't do what it's supposed to. Haha.I can't repair the volumes and I can't erase the drive because it says the volume can't be unmounted?!? Am I making any sense at all??

It's a Powermac G5 1.8 Dual Super something or other...! 1 gig of ram. The OS was whatever the one before Tiger is.... But I erased the harddrive (I think) and installed Leopard, but as soon as I installed Leopard and started it up I got the "____ unexpectedly quit" WHICH is what I was trying to fix in the first place... all of my programs always unexpectedly quit!!

So anyways, I could give you more details but it seems like when I try to figure this stuff out it ends up taking me hours and I don't wanna stay up til 6am.

Thanks for your suggestions! I'll lug that pup into the store and see if they can work their magic. I'm also the politest human being on earth, so I'll use my "adult voice" and charm the pants off of them.

Embarrassing pics are long gone.

robdigi

Post by robdigi » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:18 pm

You did an erase and install? That's usually trouble-free. Most people get into trouble when they choose the "upgrade" option when installing Leopard.

You can run disk utility from the Leopard disc. You can't do much with Disk Utility if you are running it on the volume you have booted from.. it can't unmount because that is where the system you are booted into resides. So, throw the Leopard disc in, hold C while starting up, and then repair permissions and verify and repair your disc using Disk Utility. If you don't have any valuable data on the HD, you can do another "erase and install" from that point. That should clear it up if it is software related.

Or, just take it to the store and they will do it for you. Try to get an appointment before the store opens, the Mac Genius will have more time to dedicate to you because it isn't as crowded or hectic.